Start by marking “Wiener Dog Art” as Want to Read:
Wiener Dog Art

Wiener Dog Art

(Far Side Collection #11)

Gary Larson created eight original color cartoons exclusively for this collection — including portrayals of Wiener Dog Art in the style of the great masters. The book also exhibits more than 100 Far Side cartoons for the first time in book form, displaying the breadth of humor that Far Side fans have come to expect.
Published October 1st 1990 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wiener Dog Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wiener Dog Art

Start your review of Wiener Dog Art
David Schaafsma
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cartoons
Here's some images from it.

I read it alongside Roth's I Married a Communist, as comic relief! I liked the actual wiener dog art that he does--as if Great Artists did wiener dog art--less than I liked the words "wiener dog art," but it was still fun, and I liked the other stuff in here, his usual cartoons, even better. But it's always worth having Larson around. You need to just laugh sometimes, right?
Kest Schwartzman
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
the index is probably the best joke in the book.
Andy Hickman
“Wiener Dog” Art by Gary Larson
Take on The Big Sleep film noir: "You know how to kill a pig, don't you, Steve? You just put your coils together and squeeeeze." - scenes from classic nature films
Whilst seven ants are held captive in a specimen jar on a desk, outside on the windowsill are ants holding placards: "FREE THE MAYONNAISE JAR SEVEN"

Isbn: 9780708849859
Kayla
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I just didn't find this very funny.
Juliana
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a few more years until my daughter reaches adulthood, but I am confident in her future to continue the legacy of book love. I did all the right things early on--I read to her, I surrounded her with books, and right now we have a semi-regular date together at the local bookstore. So far it is working. Although gone are the days when I can recommend books and authors to her. If I buy her a book or check out a book from the library that is a guarantee that the poor book/author will sit in a ...more
Nathan Albright
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2020
While much of this work, published in 1990, will be familiar to those who have read a lot of familiar material, there are still some things here that are new and well worth reading. And even for the material that is familiar, Far Side is always worth appreciating even when one has seen it a few times. What separates this work from other collections is the entertaining titular collection of wiener dog art that demonstrates the humor of Larson and his ability to draw a consistent theme of wiener d ...more
A. L.
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two stars may seem a bit harsh but that's just about as much as I enjoyed it.

Maybe because it's from a past generation, but a lot of the jokes must have gone over my head (I did have to google "Carmen Miranda")... or maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Or perhaps this particular volume didn't have the best representation of Far Side..

A got a decent amount of the jokes, smiled a tiny but and chuckled at maybe one. Not as much as I would've liked, though.

There were also quite a few "Indian" jokes
Hannah Belyea
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-only
Enjoy eight masterful pieces of artwork that span the greatest eras of Weiner dog worship where humour and beauty collide, surrounded by dozens of classic Far Side comics that take readers from the rural roads to the dangers of absurd urban life. Larson will keep fans and newcomers chuckling the whole way through with this creative take on art and the love of dogs. Does any critic dare to try and find fault in such eternal works of canine classics?
Carla
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A rather deceiving title for this volume of work by Gary Larson. Funny as always, but only a short section in the middle of the book devoted to "weiner dogs". I have two dachshunds and that's why I picked it up. Still very clever and funny.
Kelly Martin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This is a funny little book. The only problem is that it's not long enough.
Jeff
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
More nostalgic comfort reading. I loved these strips when I was a kid, and they hold up today. You can't go wrong with Gary Larson and the Farside!
Rick Bavera
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
The reliably humorous and laugh-filled comic art of Gary Larson succeeds, as always.

Funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

I miss the days of new Far Side material.
Wyatt B
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent collection from Gary Larson.
Heather
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Art made using wiener dogs? Art by wiener dogs? The title of this tome piqued my interest at the annual Ledding Library Book Sale. As it was the last day of said book sale, when patrons can fill a paper grocery bag for a low, low price—I tossed it in the sack, thinking about a friend who was a fan of The Far Side.

Fortunate for me, I just happened to be catsitting for this friend, so I got to read the book before leaving it for him that very afternoon!

Alternately petting and dodging kitty's attem
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wiener Dog Ar brings back a time in my life when comic strips in newspapers were at an all time high on the funny scale. Gary Larson helped lead the charge to one panel comic strips than now appear in newspapers nationwide.

Larson was the pioneer of the wacky, twisted humor that we all grew to know and love. Sometimes his strips are instantly funny, and sometimes it takes a few seconds of looking at the picture after reading the caption to bust out laughing, like in the comic strip shown above.
Willow Redd
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Far Side collected books from my youth. Gary Larson is so great with absurdism, he literally turns it into art.

In this one, aside from the usual Far Side greatness, there is a center feature (on nice, glossy paper no less) of Wiener Dog art, just as the cover suggests. Each piece is beautiful, featuring commentary on the strange phenomena of the Wiener Dog as subject through the years, and featuring Wiener Dog art pieces from some famous names (supposedly).

I grew up loving Gary Larson
Lindsey
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with a sense of humor (it could even be a bad one!)
Recommended to Lindsey by: Clay Smith
Ok, just to get things straight, i could go all day reading these and not get bored. My life is not complete without the comics! But this is one of the funniest Far Side books that has been published. in the middle, Gary Larson takes famous masterpeices and puts, instead of the regular artiststry, he puts wiener dogs in. And the great thing about these books is that there is no (i repeat no) crude humor at all in all the books i have read of his. And trust me, that's a lot!
Finley Neal
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humor seekers
I love the Far side. Some of Gary Larson's thoughts & ideas just crack me up! I've owned this book for many years & thought I'd reacquaint myself with it before listing it on Goodreads. Another enjoyable experience! Every joke isn't exactly my cup of tea, but overall I relate well to Mr Larson's humor and artistic work. If your not familiar with the Far Side I suggest you look into some of his books today. You will be both thought provoked & entertained! ...more
Molly
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
As always, Gary Larson delivers. Wiener Dog Art is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's book. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
Jen
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's funny! It's punny! It's incredibly sarcastic and weird! What more do you want from a Far Side collection? Fantastic to read through when you're visiting family and perusing their bookshelves at night, which is something I happen to do. It made me chuckle, and that's all I can ask from a comics book.
Theresa
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Though you might think by the title that this a book with either the art and/or jokes about weiner dogs. And yes it has color drawings of weiner dogs with discriptions, but there's only seven of them.

The majority of the 108 page book is regular Gary Larson cartoons. Which are funny, but not what you'd expect when you see the book. So be warned!
Ben
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
As always, another classic Far Side collection. The middle insert of famous artwork paintings reimagined with Wiener/Dachshunds is great. There is some really good and memorable stills/comics/cartoons (whatever you call single cell comic strips) in this one. Even one about a border collie which is great (as a border collie owner).

Also the index is a terrific final gag.
Sandy
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Gary Larson can never do wrong in my book. Most of these are regular black and white comics but the color take-offs on famous artists (using weiner dogs in each, naturally) really make the book. I also find the index where everything is listed under "T" for The one about... to be amusing.
Effobee
Jul 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Great bathroom reading.
jacky
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this during a prep period looking for cartoons that would fit with my curriculum, but didn't find any. They were all funny anyway of course.
Jeremiah
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I love Larson, but this is probably one of my least favorite books.
Stacey
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a weiner dog
I have a weiner dog. Naturally I think this is hilarious. Larsen is a genius.
Olivia Arrow
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Far Side. I have met Far Side people! Also, it is superb nerd humor. Now I miss Far Side.
Ariell
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love The Far Side comics? They're pretty funny. Maybe they're more for the twisted in a peculiar harmless sort of way.
James of the Redwoods
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My dachshund, Tater, loves this book.....

• The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (Calvin and Hobbes #5)
  • It's a Magical World (Calvin and Hobbes #11)
  • Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Life at the Dakota: New York's Most Unusual Address
  • Yukon Ho! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)
  • heda gabler
  • Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • The Summer We Read Gatsby
  • Beyond the Mother Tongue: The Postmonolingual Condition
  • Death in Brittany (Commissaire Dupin #1)
  • Forever Young
  • Lost in Translation: A Life in a New Language
  • Harvard Square: A Novel
  • Tonttu – Tarua & totta
  • What It Was (Derek Strange & Terry Quinn, #5)
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side