Start by marking “Wiener Dog Art” as Want to Read:
Wiener Dog Art

Wiener Dog Art

(Far Side Collection #11)

Gary Larson created eight original color cartoons exclusively for this collection—including portrayals of Wiener Dog Art in the style of the great masters. The book also exhibits more than 100 Far Side cartoons for the first time in book form, displaying the breadth of humor that Far Side fans have come to expect.
Published October 1st 1990 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wiener Dog Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wiener Dog Art

David Schaafsma
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cartoons
Here's some images from it.

I read it alongside Roth's I Married a Communist, as comic relief! I liked the actual wiener dog art that he does--as if Great Artists did wiener dog art--less than I liked the words "wiener dog art," but it was still fun, and I liked the other stuff in here, his usual cartoons, even better. But it's always worth having Larson around. You need to just laugh sometimes, right?
Kest Schwartzman
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
the index is probably the best joke in the book.
Juliana
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a few more years until my daughter reaches adulthood, but I am confident in her future to continue the legacy of book love. I did all the right things early on--I read to her, I surrounded her with books, and right now we have a semi-regular date together at the local bookstore. So far it is working. Although gone are the days when I can recommend books and authors to her. If I buy her a book or check out a book from the library that is a guarantee that the poor book/author will sit in a ...more
A. L.
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two stars may seem a bit harsh but that's just about as much as I enjoyed it.

Maybe because it's from a past generation, but a lot of the jokes must have gone over my head (I did have to google "Carmen Miranda")... or maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Or perhaps this particular volume didn't have the best representation of Far Side..

A got a decent amount of the jokes, smiled a tiny but and chuckled at maybe one. Not as much as I would've liked, though.

There were also quite a few "Indian" jokes
Hannah Belyea
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-only
Enjoy eight masterful pieces of artwork that span the greatest eras of Weiner dog worship where humour and beauty collide, surrounded by dozens of classic Far Side comics that take readers from the rural roads to the dangers of absurd urban life. Larson will keep fans and newcomers chuckling the whole way through with this creative take on art and the love of dogs. Does any critic dare to try and find fault in such eternal works of canine classics?
Jeff
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
More nostalgic comfort reading. I loved these strips when I was a kid, and they hold up today. You can't go wrong with Gary Larson and the Farside!
William Wanlass
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kelly Martin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This is a funny little book. The only problem is that it's not long enough.
Heather
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Art made using wiener dogs? Art by wiener dogs? The title of this tome piqued my interest at the annual Ledding Library Book Sale. As it was the last day of said book sale, when patrons can fill a paper grocery bag for a low, low price—I tossed it in the sack, thinking about a friend who was a fan of The Far Side.

Fortunate for me, I just happened to be catsitting for this friend, so I got to read the book before leaving it for him that very afternoon!

Alternately petting and dodging kitty's attem
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wiener Dog Ar brings back a time in my life when comic strips in newspapers were at an all time high on the funny scale. Gary Larson helped lead the charge to one panel comic strips than now appear in newspapers nationwide.

Larson was the pioneer of the wacky, twisted humor that we all grew to know and love. Sometimes his strips are instantly funny, and sometimes it takes a few seconds of looking at the picture after reading the caption to bust out laughing, like in the comic strip shown above.
Willow Redd
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Far Side collected books from my youth. Gary Larson is so great with absurdism, he literally turns it into art.

In this one, aside from the usual Far Side greatness, there is a center feature (on nice, glossy paper no less) of Wiener Dog art, just as the cover suggests. Each piece is beautiful, featuring commentary on the strange phenomena of the Wiener Dog as subject through the years, and featuring Wiener Dog art pieces from some famous names (supposedly).

I grew up loving Gary Larson
Finley Neal I
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humor seekers
I love the Far side. Some of Gary Larson's thoughts & ideas just crack me up! I've owned this book for many years & thought I'd reacquaint myself with it before listing it on Goodreads. Another enjoyable experience! Every joke isn't exactly my cup of tea, but overall I relate well to Mr Larson's humor and artistic work. If your not familiar with the Far Side I suggest you look into some of his books today. You will be both thought provoked & entertained!
Lindsey
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with a sense of humor (it could even be a bad one!)
Recommended to Lindsey by: Clay Smith
Ok, just to get things straight, i could go all day reading these and not get bored. My life is not complete without the comics! But this is one of the funniest Far Side books that has been published. in the middle, Gary Larson takes famous masterpeices and puts, instead of the regular artiststry, he puts wiener dogs in. And the great thing about these books is that there is no (i repeat no) crude humor at all in all the books i have read of his. And trust me, that's a lot!
Molly
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
As always, Gary Larson delivers. Wiener Dog Art is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's book. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
Jen
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's funny! It's punny! It's incredibly sarcastic and weird! What more do you want from a Far Side collection? Fantastic to read through when you're visiting family and perusing their bookshelves at night, which is something I happen to do. It made me chuckle, and that's all I can ask from a comics book.
Theresa
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Though you might think by the title that this a book with either the art and/or jokes about weiner dogs. And yes it has color drawings of weiner dogs with discriptions, but there's only seven of them.

The majority of the 108 page book is regular Gary Larson cartoons. Which are funny, but not what you'd expect when you see the book. So be warned!
Sandy
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Gary Larson can never do wrong in my book. Most of these are regular black and white comics but the color take-offs on famous artists (using weiner dogs in each, naturally) really make the book. I also find the index where everything is listed under "T" for The one about... to be amusing.
Stacey
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a weiner dog
I have a weiner dog. Naturally I think this is hilarious. Larsen is a genius.
Gabriel Wallis
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, favorites
This was a Far Side book I've never read before. I thoroughly enjoyed it, just like I did with all the others. On to the next!
Peacegal
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
THE FAR SIDE is one of those timeless comics that will be looked upon fondly by everyone who read the "funny pages" during the 90s.
jacky
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this during a prep period looking for cartoons that would fit with my curriculum, but didn't find any. They were all funny anyway of course.
Louis
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Outstanding...Larson truly captures the essence of humanity from an existentialist perspective (I promise that has never been said about the Far Side before).
Steven
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Get this one just for the parody art in the center of the book with weiner dogs in various famous paintings.
Olivia Arrow
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Far Side. I have met Far Side people! Also, it is superb nerd humor. Now I miss Far Side.
Donna
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Larson but wanted more Weiner dog cartoons. They were featured art in the middle few pages of a regular Far Side collection.
Matt Mazenauer
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Far Side fans, scientists, cartoon fans.
Recommended to Matt by: Far Side
A great collection of Far Side, with a bonus found (as far as I know) only in this book: Wiener Dog Art, where dachshunds are placed into classical paintings.
Bill Shannon
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Even a mediocre Far Side book is better than most things.
Scott Meesey
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good stuff! The index was genius!
Peter Daniel Berg
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
glossy color art in the middle well worth the price
Ariell
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love The Far Side comics? They're pretty funny. Maybe they're more for the twisted in a peculiar harmless sort of way.
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • Bring Me the Head of Willy the Mailboy!
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)
  • Blueprint for Disaster: A Get Fuzzy Collection
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side