Jump to ratings and reviews
Gary Larson created eight original color cartoons exclusively for this collection — including portrayals of Wiener Dog Art in the style of the great masters. The book also exhibits more than 100 Far Side cartoons for the first time in book form, displaying the breadth of humor that Far Side fans have come to expect.

112 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1990

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gary Larson

60 books651 followers
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countless pranks on Gary, taking advantage of his phobia of monsters under the bed by, for example, waiting in the closet for the right moment to pounce out at Gary. Dan is also credited with giving Gary his love of science. They caught animals in Puget Sound and placed them in terrariums in the basement; even making a small desert ecosystem, which their parents apparently did not mind. His adept use of snakes in his cartoons stems from his long-standing interest in herpetology.
Since retiring from the Far Side, Larson has occasionally done some cartooning work, such as magazine illustrations and promotional artwork for Far Side merchandise.

In 1998, Larson published his first post-Far Side book, There's a Hair in My Dirt!: A Worm's Story, an illustrated story with the unmistakable Far Side mindset.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
42 (1%)
1 star
8 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 64 reviews
Profile Image for Dave Schaafsma.
Author 6 books31.2k followers
December 18, 2016
Here's some images from it.

I read it alongside Roth's I Married a Communist, as comic relief! I liked the actual wiener dog art that he does--as if Great Artists did wiener dog art--less than I liked the words "wiener dog art," but it was still fun, and I liked the other stuff in here, his usual cartoons, even better. But it's always worth having Larson around. You need to just laugh sometimes, right?
Profile Image for Michelle.
394 reviews15 followers
February 22, 2022
This one is my son's favorite. Actually, my kids would read this one the most. They were born after The Far Side ended, so it was my duty to introduce this fantastic wit to them ;)
Profile Image for Andy Hickman.
4,474 reviews34 followers
October 17, 2019
“Wiener Dog” Art by Gary Larson
Take on The Big Sleep film noir: "You know how to kill a pig, don't you, Steve? You just put your coils together and squeeeeze." - scenes from classic nature films
Whilst seven ants are held captive in a specimen jar on a desk, outside on the windowsill are ants holding placards: "FREE THE MAYONNAISE JAR SEVEN"

Isbn: 9780708849859
Profile Image for Juliana.
626 reviews48 followers
September 6, 2015
I have a few more years until my daughter reaches adulthood, but I am confident in her future to continue the legacy of book love. I did all the right things early on--I read to her, I surrounded her with books, and right now we have a semi-regular date together at the local bookstore. So far it is working. Although gone are the days when I can recommend books and authors to her. If I buy her a book or check out a book from the library that is a guarantee that the poor book/author will sit in a corner unread. It is best for her to discover them on her own. She is less of an omnivore than I and is the first to admit she is a "picky" book reader. But when she discovers something she likes she jumps in feet first.

Right now she is really into humor and cartoon collections. When she was little, she liked Snoopy and Charlie Brown. The past year or so she discovered Calvin and Hobbes and had been collecting C&H collections. She told a stranger yesterday a quote from the Oatmeal and calls him one of her favorite authors. I was surprised to find in her purchase pile yesterday that she has discovered the Far Side. YES! I have succeeded.

What she didn't know is that I snuck that book out of her pile last evening and perused through it. I've missed Gary Larson, who was a big part of my early adulthood. Does he still have his section at the California Academy of Sciences--because that exhibit was fun. I think he was a first harbinger for those of us who identify themselves as tech/science geeks. But then Larson appealed to the everyman.

The mid-section of this book contains Larson's Wiener Dog Art through the Ages which is fun. And the index is awesome. The entire alphabet with nothing in it and then you get to the Ts. And then each entry is titled, "The one about..." as in "The one about the accountants." and "The one about the desert island." It was fun to take a trip down memory lane. Although this collection was missing my favorite of all time--the one about the boneless chicken ranch.
Profile Image for Nathan Albright.
4,414 reviews95 followers
October 16, 2020
While much of this work, published in 1990, will be familiar to those who have read a lot of familiar material, there are still some things here that are new and well worth reading. And even for the material that is familiar, Far Side is always worth appreciating even when one has seen it a few times. What separates this work from other collections is the entertaining titular collection of wiener dog art that demonstrates the humor of Larson and his ability to draw a consistent theme of wiener dogs through a long period of art history, involving such issues as Salvador Dali surrealism, vikings, the Old West, and even a few beloved classics of art repurposed with wiener dogs in them. Aside from this, the book is made from what one would expect, entertaining cartoons from a master of odd but hilarious skewed takes on people, animals, art, and history. This book is no different in the sort of bizarre drawings that are created, some of which show a great deal of humor and even societal decadence in snakes, for example. If you know what you like and you are reading this book you are probably very familiar with the Far Side already and will enjoy this as you have other collections.
407 reviews1 follower
March 24, 2021
Thank you to Dragonblade Publishing and Net Galley for the chance to read and review this book. The opinions expressed are my own.
I REALLY liked this book! I thought it was a great start to the Regency Spies and Secrets series, and I can't wait for the next installment! I liked the cover, the setting, the mystery and the main characters. The main character is Miss Madalene Dowd, who has recently lost her mother. She opens an orphanage in her mother's name. One day, one of the teacher's mysteriously disappears. So starts the mystery of finding out what happened to the teacher. Along the way, she meets Baldwin Ratcliff and the sparks fly. I enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to other readers who like Regency Mysteries!
Profile Image for Brandi.
891 reviews10 followers
March 26, 2021
Historical fiction, Regency and spies all blend perfectly together in this fun new series by Laura Beers. Madelene just wants to do right by those she comes to serve and if that means some meddling and sleuthing, so be it. She does seem to find herself in some sticky situations and much to her consternation, Baldwin, an agent of the Crown, keeps showing up. The animosity turns to more and the dialogue is engaging and entertaining. The plot is not terribly deep, but the characters are endearing in their own quirky ways. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
Profile Image for Vicky.
454 reviews2 followers
April 6, 2021
Miss Maddie is a philanthropist and has honored her mother by opening a orphanage in her name. A friend who has fallen on hard times has been in charge and. Now is missing. Maddie decides to become an novice investigator because it seems nobody is bothering to look for her friend.
Baldwin Radcliff is a Marquess, but also a undercover agent for the Crown and soon to retire. In the course of his current case the two come across each other and their opinions of one another are not very high.
The antics of the two and the storyline will keep you interested in this book!

I received a free advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
Profile Image for Caroline.
786 reviews3 followers
March 18, 2021
I’ve read almost everything previously published by Laura Beers, which makes me very sad to say that this isn’t her strongest work. Both main characters seemed under-developed, and when she intended them to be impervious or sarcastic, they came across as glib and unkind. I kept looking for a deeper reason to like them, but I never found it. The mystery was decent but I figured out the villain after the first red herring.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Engrossed Reader.
152 reviews6 followers
September 9, 2021
The one about the kneecaps, punk accountants and inconvenience stores have got to be my standout favourites.

Why? Because I haven't see these particular ones in a while - there are certain Larsen cartoons that I see rotated frequently in various groups I belong to and after the upteenth time they lose their zing.

These three made me laugh.

The actual Weiner Dog art was good, reinterpreted well known art pieces with commentary but I preferred the old fan favourite.

Still have a couple more Farside galleries to go and looking forward to it.
Profile Image for Hannah Belyea.
1,958 reviews33 followers
February 27, 2019
Enjoy eight masterful pieces of artwork that span the greatest eras of Weiner dog worship where humour and beauty collide, surrounded by dozens of classic Far Side comics that take readers from the rural roads to the dangers of absurd urban life. Larson will keep fans and newcomers chuckling the whole way through with this creative take on art and the love of dogs. Does any critic dare to try and find fault in such eternal works of canine classics?
Profile Image for Victoria.
29 reviews1 follower
March 16, 2021
I received an ARC ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Thank you for the book.

Has historical inaccuracies. The romance aspect of this book... I am thinking is enemies to lovers but the lovers part fell short. I didn't understand the reasoning behind main characters decisions. Can be an easy fun read though.
Profile Image for Carla.
1,180 reviews19 followers
August 18, 2019
A rather deceiving title for this volume of work by Gary Larson. Funny as always, but only a short section in the middle of the book devoted to "weiner dogs". I have two dachshunds and that's why I picked it up. Still very clever and funny.
Profile Image for Brad Allen.
34 reviews
January 20, 2023
Picked this off the shelf at random. I probably haven't read it in over 20 years. These still make my laugh out loud. And sometimes cringe. But that's a good thing.

And yeah. It's a reread.Plus it's a quick read with pretty pictures. But I'm still counting it for my 2023 reading goal.
Profile Image for Rick Bavera.
638 reviews41 followers
September 22, 2019
The reliably humorous and laugh-filled comic art of Gary Larson succeeds, as always.

Funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

I miss the days of new Far Side material.
Profile Image for Heather.
1,004 reviews2 followers
October 18, 2022
I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. Love the cover. Good thriller/romance. Recommend
Profile Image for Pug.
900 reviews3 followers
January 4, 2023
Daddy longleg jerks: "Hey, baby! Do those legs go all the way up?"
Profile Image for Heather.
275 reviews6 followers
June 24, 2013
Art made using wiener dogs? Art by wiener dogs? The title of this tome piqued my interest at the annual Ledding Library Book Sale. As it was the last day of said book sale, when patrons can fill a paper grocery bag for a low, low price—I tossed it in the sack, thinking about a friend who was a fan of The Far Side.

Fortunate for me, I just happened to be catsitting for this friend, so I got to read the book before leaving it for him that very afternoon!

Alternately petting and dodging kitty's attempts to claw off my arm, I sat enraptured by this quick read. It may not be Gary Larson's "best of" but the highfalutin color plate section, presenting a history of wiener dog art, makes this quick read delightfully unique. The book seems catered toward animal lovers, as much of the content involves sheep talking to each other, cows reciting poetry, a classroom of dogs who have all eaten their own homework, and so on.

Oh wait—that kind of goes for most of The Far Side, doesn't it?

Ah well. It was a quick read and gave my day a little laughter!
Profile Image for Conan Tigard.
1,134 reviews4 followers
November 19, 2015
Wiener Dog Ar brings back a time in my life when comic strips in newspapers were at an all time high on the funny scale. Gary Larson helped lead the charge to one panel comic strips than now appear in newspapers nationwide.

Larson was the pioneer of the wacky, twisted humor that we all grew to know and love. Sometimes his strips are instantly funny, and sometimes it takes a few seconds of looking at the picture after reading the caption to bust out laughing, like in the comic strip shown above.

As for the helpful three-page Index in the back, that may be the funniest thing in the entire book. It sure made me laugh.

You can never go wrong with a Gary Larson comic strip book, and Wiener Dog Art ranks up there with some of the funniest work he produced.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 64 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.