Start by marking “The Far Side Gallery” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Gallery

The Far Side Gallery (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #1)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  20,985 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
1984 FarWorks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The Far Side and the Larson signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.

The Far Side Gallery is an anthology of Gary Larson's The Far Side comic strips, which were printed from 1982–1984.
Published October 1st 1984 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Gallery

Pramod Nair
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, art
Gary Larson, the American cartoonist and his internationally syndicated cartoon series ‘The Far Side’ – syndicated in more than 1900 newspapers – are both legendary in the annals of newspaper cartoon arena. Collected into more than twenty books, Larson’s works, which got translated into seventeen languages, has sold about forty-five million copies worldwide. With a distinctive style of illustration and creatively loaded with surrealistic humor, his single-panel cartoon strips evoke laughter by i ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is nothing quite like Gary Larson's The Far Side. I class it up there with Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes as the funniest commentaries on 20th C american life. Absurd truths abound and it is hard to stifle a laugh or a guffaw at Larson's wit and fantastic ideas. Another one to help forget the horrifying headlines of today's depressing world.
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gary Larson fans!!!
Far Side

After reading “The Far Side Gallery 3,” I was dying to check out more of Gary Larson’s “Far Side Gallery” series and I stumbled upon a collection of Gary Larson’s “Far Side Gallery” series in “The Far Side Gallery” (man, I am talking about the “Far Side Gallery” so much in this review)! Anyway, this collection of “Far Side Gallery” stories is just as memorable and hilarious as the “Far Side Gallery 3!”

What is this story about?

Basically, this “Far Side Gallery” collection contain
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. Without a doubt, the funniest (and most clever) cartoon series ever put on paper. Gary Larson is a comic genius.
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The odd and twisted world of Gary Larson, I miss his work. These stay on my shelves along with Charles Schultz work. These are two comics creators who's work stands up well to rereading. Schultz for humor and wisdom, Larson for humor and....that odd perspective on life he gives us.

I have a couple of other cartoon books in my library, they tend to make me laugh and lighten my mood at times, but I think Larson and Schultz will be around as long as there is thought and introspection along with humo
Thomas Strömquist
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection volume of Larson's classic (almost exclusively) one-frame comic cartoons. Unmistakable style and often both clever and funny. Many of these did not age too well though (or it's just that I've seen them too many times) and it's not a book or books I ever re-read nowadays.

Wonderful. I grew up on these cartoons. My friend and I once made a tape (now lost to the ages, or taped over, same difference) of a fictional radio show where we verablly acted out these vignettes and reported on them like they were real news. God bless Gary Larson, wherever he is...
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could post my favorite Far Side from the book... I don't want to risk violating a batrillion copyright laws though.

Honest Abe at a podium reading:

"and so, the bartender says, Hey! That's not a duck!" (Wait for laughter)
Four score and seven years ago,..."

I think of that cartoon all the time. Sometimes I'll just randomly say, "Wait for laughter..." thinking about it.

I've decided to go through all my Far Side Gallery books. ...Larson is clutch. Twisted. But clutch.
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lulz, graphic-novels
I really like Larson's humor. Also. I'm surprised no one mentioned it but.. I found this collection to be very "dark". A lot of the humor I thought was quite morbid. Nothing wrong with that, of course, just a few times I was actually a bit surprised. It's not all light-n-fluffy puns.
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Everytime I read this book it always makes me laugh. I LOVE Gary Larson. His comic strips are classic. I am so sadi that he no longer puts them out. If you are having a bad day pick up a Gary Larson book it will make you feel so much better.
A. Dawes
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-humour
Sometimes cynical, sometimes satirical, sometimes nonsensical, sometimes scathingly critical, sometimes wittingly observational, sometimes reflective, sometimes nostalgic, sometimes farcical .

Always delightful.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was the Best!! I loved reading all the different comics abou different people.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

The Far Side Gallery by Gary Larson
Amusement and Uproarious fun for A Long Rainy Summer

The Far Side Gallery is hilarious, most of the time. There are jokes, lines that I did not get and others that are not my cup of tea…and we are talking about drawings here.
The uproarious parts make up for the tasteless, cryptic or hard to understand slices of a strange world, or is it Gallery at the Far Side. Come to think of it, we can’t say we haven’t been warned- we are invited at the “far side” of amuseme
Mitchell Hahn-Branson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a pleasure to revisit early Far Side strips and see how much Larson's sense of humor has soaked into pop culture. I don't remember the early '80s very well, but I'm guessing it was somewhat novel for a cartoonist to skew scenes of everyday life, both to create a completely bizarre alternate universe and to point out how profoundly strange and unsettling the real world was. Nowadays, it seems like most people—or most entertainers, at least—have just accepted that the world really is as odd a ...more
Donna Davis
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humorous, reviewed
I can't believe I am writing a review for this; it's sort like being handed an essay assignment titled "What Does Funny Mean to Me?" I suspect the king of the dark and biological cartoon, Gary Larson, has been under-reviewed because his work, which was prodigious and searingly funny until the well ran dry rather suddenly, was primarily done in the 1980's and 90's. Whatever.

My first Larson cartoon reached me by mail. My BFF back home in the Pacific Northwest sent it to me with a card at Christmas
Sarah Kelleher
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I have all the Far Side Galleries today because I stole them from my parents shelves when I was a kid... I poured over all of them a zillion times, each time I would "get" a few more of the cartoons.

Now I give them to my stepkids to read and they are the same way I was... they love looking at them, but don't exactly get them all. We sit in the living room and pass around the different books, pointing out funny ones to read, and they ask me about the ones that they don't get and I tell them what
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
A single Far Side cartoon can evoke any number of reactions from people. Usually good ones (from the people I choose to hang out with, anyway.) A collection of Far Side cartoons has a totally different effect. When viewed side by side, for any extended length of time, the effect multiplies not just cumulatively, but exponentially. I have almost had to be hospitalized a number of times due to Far Side induced seizures. The first time I read this collection I needed an asthma inhaler by the time I ...more
Bob Schmitz
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
The day after the election I returned all my serious books to the library and picked up silly fiction. I could not bear to read anything serious when we had an orange-haired, racist, misogynist, lying, sexual predator who is proud of his lack of knowledge,etc,etc for our president.

So I picked up my son's Far Side Gallery and read it as my nighttime reading. Wonderful funny stuff. I am sorry Larson retired. I will be reading a lot more of his stuff over the coming months.
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult not to rate a Far Side collection five stars. I grew up on these comics. It's hard thinking of a time I didn't know about their existence. However, now I am much more aware of the world and these comics strike me differently. There are jokes I get now that I didn't get as a child, or jokes I thought I get that I missed completely, not even mentioning the subtext of the strips that I completely glossed over. Great humor, great insight.
Tabi Rae
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love The Far Side! I first discovered these collections through my uncle, and started building my own set of books. Gary Larson brings so much humor to a single frame comic, and the fact that he is able to bring science humor to unscientific people (like myself) is amazing. I've actually learned a lot of really obscure nature trivia from these comics, and the history ones are even funnier. I always go back to these books when I need a pick-me-up, or just to relive the laughter.
Huda AbuKhoti
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Crazy and hilarious. Loved it! I loved the fact that a lot of these comics are based on scientific knowledge, and if you don't have it it'll e hard to 'get' them.

I laughed a lot! and surely I'll come back to it whenever I need to change my mood.

One thing I noticed while reading it, and it really annoyed me is that a lot of people have stolen ideas from Gary's comics and made new ones which are really popular on social networks, so they're taking credit that they don't deserve.. grrr
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Apparently I've read this collection so many times, I couldn't find the first few pages engaging! So I went through the book backwards instead! Another great collection of Larson's cartoon. Some classics in this one.
WT Sharpe
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Gary Larson Retired in 1995 I'd wager that zoo personnel and everyone whoever worked at a veterinary clinic went into mourning. If I was King of the World I'd force him out of retirement. His humor always cracks me up.
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Science, scientists, everyday life and a lot more. With no further daily doses of Gary Larson I am forced to go back to this "gallery." It is still as funny and well worth the effort. Why has no one else been able to come close to his sense of humor and perspective?
Hank Stuever
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
High school: Janice and me sitting at the kitchen table at her house eating cookie dough and laughing so hard at these cartoons we couldn't breathe. (Are they still that funny?)
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Good stuff juxtaposing humans and animals to show the silliness of humans and how we're not so very different.
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Far Side is a popular single-panel comic from the 1980's. I had no idea.

The humor is often in the deadpan sort of vein. Largely based on uncomfortable social situations, improbable events, and impending disasters, this is the definition of dry wit.

After going through the whole collection, it is easy to pick up a pattern in the illustrations. The author often uses animals and nature, reversing their typical roles and contexts. The strips depict people on desert islands, aliens, heaven, hell a
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding collection. This book was a major influence to me when I was a little kid. It continues to inspire me now, and usually comes up in conversation when I recommend comic strips to my friends.
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay so this book is the best graphic novelish book I've ever read. It's not an ongoing story but single panels like the comics from the New Yorker. I always come back to this book when I want a quick and funny read. I would definitely recommend
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Zbirka pomaknutih karikatura o gotovo svemu u svemiru. Od gega preko igri rijeci do izokretanja standardnog pogleda na stvari nema śanse da se bar puta ne masmijete.
What is supposed to the funniest part of... 3 23 Jun 13, 2014 06:32AM
  • Billy and the Boingers: Bootleg
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Foxtrot, Assembled with Care
  • Childhood Is Hell
  • Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies: Dogbert's Big Book of Business
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

The Far Side Gallery Anthologies (5 books)
  • The Far Side Gallery 2

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99