Start by marking “Always Listen to Your Mother” as Want to Read:
Always Listen to Your Mother

Always Listen to Your Mother

Ernest always does what his mother asks...and never has any fun. When a new boy moves in next door, Ernest's mother encourages her son to make friends. But the new neighbors seem a little bit...strange--monstrous, even. Obeying Ernest's new friend Vlapid's mother means Ernest must do things he'd never dare try at home. And it's fantastic!

Veteran children's book author Flo
Published August 3rd 2010 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Always Listen to Your Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Listen to Your Mother

Miriam
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Creepy little story about a lonely little boy whose controlling, clean freak mother allows him to play with the ghoulish new neighbor boy because he always listens to his mother. They have fun trashing the place.

The illustrations are very effective and I would have given it another star had it been a little longer. It seemed to stop abruptly.
Dolly
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, monsters
I discovered this book while shopping for presents for our girls during a business trip. The title certainly caught my eye and the cover illustrations were intriguing. The story is certainly entertaining and has an underlying nuance of the little boy being naughty without technically disobeying. Ernest is such a straight-laced little boy that it was quite humorous to see him let loose and discover his wild side.

The illustrations are entertaining and quite creepy, too. I love that Ernest's mothe
Kathryn
Delightful! Ernest is a very good boy who always listens to his mother, although it is a little boring to be so good and helpful all the time. But, when a rather...unusual... family moves in next door and Ernest goes to meet the little boy, it seems like adventures and fun are finally at hand.

I won't say more because I think the fun and cleverness in the book, and what made it work for me, is in how the authors managed to let Ernest have fun in new ways, to have his little monster friend be aut
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ernest always listen to his mother and being that she is a good mother she keeps the house clean and allows Ernest to play with the new boy in the neighborhood. But there is a twist. Although the neighbor boy is a good influence because he always listen to his mother, things are not quite what they seem.

Interesting illustrations, possibly a little creepy.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Ernest is a young boy who always does what his mother says. Will anything change when a new boy moves in next door?
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Ernest is a good little boy always listening to his mother. He eats his brocolli, goes to bed on time, and never whines, dwadles or talks back. He helps his mother with the housework. His life is quite ordinary and dull. Until a new family moves in, a vampirish, ghoulish type of family. Vlapid the new little boy also does everything his mother says, but is entirely opposite of what Ernest knows. They swing on chandeliers and write on walls. Ernest's mom says he can play with Vlapid everyday, not ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, picture-book
I liked this book in a strange sort of way. The main character follows all of his mother's directions. Good mothers do this and good children do that. Then the boy visits a new neighbor who also follows all of his mother's directions. But there is a slight twist. A fun book with great illustrations.
Marcie
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Woodbury new books
The illustrations are the key to this somewhat weird book. If you are to read it without looking at the illustrations it would not make much sense. It does follow the trend of well known authors collaborating with their children. I knew I recognized the illustrations style, but not until I read the flap and found he illustrated my favorite J. Patrick Lewis' Please Bury Me in the Library.
Shelli
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If the writing has been as fantastic as the illustrations this would have been a 5 star book. Cute story but the pictures were the best part.
Kim
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Oh, I thought this sounded good to read to my children, but then I there is a big turn in the story.
Deb
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-alena
A strange little book, but I kind of liked it.
Karla Winick-Ford
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a little long, and the illustrations are a little dark. Not bad, but... no recommended when others out there are favored.
Megan Renner
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etl-2368
Heide, F. (2010). Always listen to your mother. New York: Hyperion Books.

It was a story about a boy named Earnest that always listened to his mother. He helped her cook and clean and he always asked permission to do things. Finally a new family moved in next door and he asked his mother if he could go meet them. They went over there and the mother had a cleaning list too, but it just said the room names. Earnest and his new friend played all day and had lots of fun. When Earnest came home he to
babyhippoface
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really liked this in the beginning. The drawings are cool, the kid is terrific, and storyline is clever. But I was disappointed in the last half of the book, and I didn't really even understand the last spread. They were fishing? That's bad?

I expected more monster-ish behavior from Vladip, and more to the story. It felt like the author started with a great idea, then just got tired of it and wrapped it up before it reached its potential.
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ernest is a very good little boy who always listens to his mother. Vlapid is a very good little boy who always listens to his mother. When Vlapid moves into the house next to Ernest, things get way more interesting for Ernest! My six year old was slightly freaked out about the boys’ antics, expecting they would get in trouble, but at the end he got the joke and laughed for quite a while.
Davonna Juroe
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just picked this up off the Halloween shelf at the library. If you liked Peter Brown's CHILDREN MAKE TERRIBLE PETS you will like this. It has the same type of tongue and cheek humor and fun illustrations.
Katherine Salinas
Mar 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: olivia-read
Illustrations were kind of creepy and I didn't like that when he "disobeyed" his own mother's instructions in another kid's home, it was totally acceptable because her rules were much less strict. I think this sends a bad message to kids.
Crystal
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Loved this one. It shows two boys and two moms. Both boys listen to their moms with wildly different results since one mom keeps the house ridiculously clean and the other loves chaos. Quite humorous.
Jess
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the illustrations in this book. Even after I read it a few times, I continued flipping through the pages just to look at the pictures.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
The mixed media and collage style is a lot of fun with some Victorian and art nouveau aesthetics.
Melissa
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
hilarious!
Briana
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love good illustrations...
LOVED, Loved, loved the illustrations in this book...hence the four star rating. The story was entirely too short, but cute nonetheless.
Miss Kious
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st, k, funny, picture-books
always listen to your mother, but not all mothers want the same things
Heather
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very clever.
Emily
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
This one is very odd.. has themes of "Psycho" throughout.... and ends rather abruptly.
Leona
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elem-readaloud
twisted humor makes this story of a little boy "trying" to listen to his mom deliciously naughty and fun.
John Bladek
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
This book is funny, great plot, well paced, and awesome.
Rana
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
lacked conflict :\
Erin
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is an odd but fun little book. The illustrations while computer generated and lovely and add an interesting quality. The story is scant and odd, but the right kind of child will love it.
Valerie
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: families, monsters
a bit quirky, but may be a silly story for scary story time?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
"What do I like about writing for children? Everything," says Florence Parry Heide, the award-winning author of more than sixty children’s books, including the classic THE SHRINKING OF TREEHORN, illustrated by Edward Gorey. "I like the connection with children," the author says. "I like the connection with all kinds of book people. And I like the connection with my childhood self, which is the mos ...more