Start by marking “The Dragon of Lonely Island” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Lonely Island

The Dragon of Lonely Island

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  828 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
"Rebecca Rupp's magical tale . . . radiates a glow as golden as the dragon's scales." — BOSTON SUNDAY GLOBE

Published April 11th 2006 by Candlewick (first published October 7th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Lonely Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of Lonely Island

Katharine Ott
"The Dragon of Lonely Island" - written by Rebecca Rupp and published in 1998 by Candlewick Press. This delightful little middle grade novel was languishing on my to-read list but was hard to track down. Siblings Hannah, Zachary, and Sarah Emily spend time at Aunt Mehitable's Victorian farmhouse on an island off the coast of Maine and follow clues to discover the tridrake dragon Fafnyr Goldenwings resting in a cave. During several visits, the dragon (each head taking a turn) tells them stories o ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Three kids are off to spend the summer with their Great Aunt Mehitabel on Lonely Island. They are surprised to discover, on the island, a very old (20,000 years old!) three-headed dragon.

The dragon tells the kids stories from the past and the kids find that
visiting an elderly aunt in an ancient house on a faraway island can be more fun than they might have anticipated.
Michele
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children/adults 8+
A lovely find. Wonderful for girls and boys. Rebecca Rupp is a fine author, with good messages for everyone. Not only thate, but you get four stories in one. I'm looking forward to reading the sequels. Erika might like this one Kellie!
Brian
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME didnt learn anything though but it was good
Maria
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advanture
Hannah, Zachary, and Sarah Emily are spending the summer at their great-aunt Mehitabel's house on faraway Lonely Island. There, in a cave hidden high above the ocean, they discover a fabulous creature: a glittering three-headed golden dragon with a kind heart, an unpredictable temper, and a memory that spans 20,000 years. Transported by the magic of the dragon's stories. It was very Interesting book!!
Greywolfheir
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First, yes I am *quite* aware this is a kids book. But honestly, does anyone these days still believe that kids books can't be held to high standards?

The Dragon of Lonely Island is a book that could have been so much more. Right off the bat, the writing style leaves something to be desired but the simplicity of it is nostalgic in a way. And there certainly was an attempt at diversity and trying to empower young girls. Still, there is no real action and I found myself bored. I can't imagine what
Note
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, short read this was that left me with a feeling that I lost something I couldn't remember anymore but content at the same time.
Tania Ruiz
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book! I was so sad at the end though. I did not want the kids to leave the island and I wanted them to stay there. I want to read things that are similar to this book soon!
Justin Duckett
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To some, adventuring is the reason for existence. And there are a lot of people out there that can agree.

But, this is true especially for the characters of "The Dragon of Lonely Island". The story opens up on a gloomy and rainy day, much like today, with three siblings. They are sent to live with their Aunt on her own island and expect the worst of it. But when they show up at her colossal house, they're completely wrong. The house was filled with secret rooms, trap doors, and even a lighthouse
Lexie Wall
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Dragon of Lonely Island by Rebecca Rupp. The main characters were Hannah, Zachary, and Sarah Emily (S.E.). They are going to stay at their aunt Mehitables house, and aren't to excited about it. But after awhile there, they start getting excited. They discover the Tower Room, and a strange little box. Near the house is a hill, called Drakes Hill. The children decide to go hiking at the hill, and find something they didn't expect. This something, changed their whole view of their aunt a ...more
Becky B
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle grades, Dragon lovers
Three children are stuck on a lonely island off the coast of Maine for the summer while their mom works on her book and their dad is off doing marine biology research. Their great-aunt Mehitabel owns the island and the house on it and suggests that if the children get bored they should try exploring Drake Hill. Much to their surprise, the kids find a friendly three-headed dragon named Fafnyr resides in a cave under Drake Hill. They meet with Fafnyr three times over the summer, and each time one ...more
Liana
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! This is a book that I randomly came across. The Dragon of Lonely Island is a cute and fun book with good moral lessons to learn from.

As the book's summary says, this story is about three children having to live at their aunts house on a lonely island during the summer, and find a friendly three-headed dragon. This dragon tells the children a story every time they visit it. The stories that each dragon head tells is thought out and surprisingly very good. Basically, The Dragon of Lone
Daniel
I really wanted to like this book. It had the look and intrigue of a magical book of adventure. Instead, I found it to be sorely lacking.

One would expect that a children's book with a dragon would have a high level of adventure, but this is not the case. Instead, the three children discover the dragon in a cave, but each time the children visit, only one of the three heads is awake. That head tells a story of its past. Therefore, the only actual adventure is TOLD to the reader, through the drago
Erin
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: my mom
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book. It was obvious that it is a children's book, but I quickly found out that it can be just as enchanting for adults! As a daydreamer, both as a kid and now, I love the idea of stumbling across a story-telling dragon in a cave. The characters were not particularly deep, of course, but you wouldn't necessarily expect that for the book's target audience. Definitely a book that I would suggest to some younger readers, as well as any adults ...more
Lydia
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick tale about a summer vacation complete with mystery, stories of the past and life lessons learned.... oh and a dragon! A fun read with adventure/fantasy elements, but for the most part a believable summer trip for three kids; can't wait to read the sequel!

Content notes: No language, no sensuality. No real violence; characters are in life threatening situations, but cleverly or with a little help from the dragon, escape un-scathed. Rather reminscient of the Penderwick books in narrative s

Brian
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but kids would REALLY like this, I think (hence the 4 instead of a three-star rating), unless they've been brown up on fast action, violence, and hence have short attention spans and expect everything to happen at top speed. This is a gentle book about three kids and a storytelling dragon. Not much happens other than that, but it's nicely written and reminds me of books I read as a child in England like the Alain Gree's story of the three raccoons called "Let's Look for Treasure" or ...more
Rachel

This story about three bored siblings stumbling across a three-headed dragon and an attic full of mysteries would fit into a classroom discussion on story-telling. Each of the dragon heads share a different story from the past when they encountered a young person making a difference in the world. The aspect of oral history in this book is a different take on folklore and legends. The children are relatable characters with a curiosity level bound to be matched by young readers.

Interest Level: 3-6
Kita Kitts
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the husband came home with this book in tow, I thought we might not be able to finish it as "we" are not so much into dragons yet.

She loves Sarah Emily, probably she can relate to her more. I particularly like the wordings and descriptive details which is quite helpful in building my kid's vocabulary. It may seem that some phrases are repetitive but in a good way. Like hints, the little girl was able to predict what was going to happen next.

Surprise, surprise. It was rated "Amazing" by my f
SANI
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dragon of Lonely Island is a book about the people which help to the dragon (give him food,drink etc.)
I like this book because it shows mercy people to nature.
I do not like this book because sometimes for me, I think,so many similar moments.
I like how the author use conflict between the people belive and the nature realistic.
i wa'na rate this book to three stars because for me this book was some borring but interesting.
dAnNy
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Something you can relate to! If you just add a bit of your childhood imagination to it. 3 kids Hannah age 12, Zachary age 10, and Emily age 8 goes to spend the summer with their Aunt Mehitabel. Their not too excited or thrilled about going and they don't start of with positive attitudes. However later on they meet the 3 headed dragon of lonely island and they all become close friends. This book is like Chronicals of Narnia.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This is such a sweet and interesting story! It's very short and enchanting. I was first intrigued by the three-headed dragon on the cover, properly called a "tri-drake". When three siblings visit with the old dragon, each head of the dragon tells them a story while the other two heads are asleep. Each story teaches a moral lesson or gives some encouragement to one of the siblings. I loved this cute little book!
Kim Otzelberger
I remember reading this when I was younger and really liking it. I saw it sitting on my shelf and was in the mood for a short story. It's a quick read about the summer vacation of three siblings, Hannah,Zachary and Sarah Emily. They encounter a dragon on the island who tells stories from his/her past. I wouldn't say it's a must read but it's definitely a cute story to read either for fun or to your children.
Carrie
Aug 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
A peaceful story that's good for reading aloud before bed. My son really liked it. The book is really three stories (told by the dragon--er, tridake) within a story. It completely lacks suspense, but it's not boring.

From a marketing standpoint, I found this book intriguing because it lacks any text whatsoever on the back cover (the cover image wraps around to the back cover). The picture and title tell you everything you need to know.
Wiccy
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very cute & enjoyable little story. It's a tale which contains not only the main story about the three siblings & the Dragon that lives on the island they visit during their summer, but also several fables which the Dragon uses to teach the children valuable lessons.

This book would be a nice introduction in the realms of fantasy for young children.
Twyla
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
pre-read note: This is totally for someone in grade 4/5; post K-chapters and pre-tween ...
post read note: Its cute; It took me a couple of pages to figure 'Hitty' out. Its got pirates and dragons and little boys mixed with little girls, orphans, aviators, and 'magic' (the puzzle box is so cool I want one). Despite the fact its a kids book I'm still giving it four out of five.
Reymond Yanez
Dec 06, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Megan
Was recommended to me by a fellow 2nd grade teacher as a great read aloud. I do think kids would love to hear this story. It's about a brother and sister who go to their aunt's house on an island. While exploring, they encounter a three-headed dragon. Each time they visit it, a different head is awake to share a tall with them.
Callista
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
I bought this book as part of a set at a book fair when I was a kid. Rebecca Rupps' writing style reminds me of Roald Dahl's, and this book was one of those great stories that you just can't put down until you finish, at least if you're a dragon fan!
Brielle
It's a cute story. Not amazing or anything, but nice and imaginative. It had a great vocabulary though, and I liked how it simply explained any new word or term. I'd recommend it to an imaginative and ambitious young reader.
Amanda
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful story. I am now a fan of Rebecca Rupp. She is able to beautifully write a story within a story. I only gave 4 stars because parts of the story lacked satisfactory explanation. I will definitely be recommending this book.
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • What the Witch Left
  • Please Write in This Book
  • Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Heather Takes the Reins (Magic Attic Club, #11)
  • The Lion Who Stole My Arm
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2)
  • The Silver Bracelet (The Unicorn's Secret, #3)
  • The Scarlet Dragon (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #2)
  • Awakening on Orbis 4 (The Softwire #4)
  • Ferno the Fire Dragon (Beast Quest, #1)
  • Rickshaw Girl
Rebecca Rupp is the author of SARAH SIMPSON'S RULES FOR LIVING, JOURNEY TO THE BLUE MOON, THE DRAGON OF LONELY ISLAND and THE RETURN OF THE DRAGON. She lives in Swanton, Vermont.
More about Rebecca Rupp

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Keep all your promises, don't take what doesn't belong to you, and always look after those less fortunate than yourself, and you'll do well in the world.” 32 likes