Start by marking “Separate Beds” as Want to Read:
Separate Beds

Separate Beds

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,956 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
The wedding of Clay Forrester and Catherine Anderson was the social event of the season. It seemed like a page out of a fairy tale. But everything about it–from the formal vows to the magnificent reception–was a lie, Catherine had reluctantly agreed to Clay's "marriage of convenience"...and the only thing that could threaten their arrangement was the unexpected arrival of ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published October 15th 1986 by Jove (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Separate Beds, please sign up.

Sophie You should try Whitney, My Love in this book the main male lead is pursuing the female lead. It's a really good read you won't be disappointed.

Dinjolina
This was one of the two books I read last night. Two very emotional books that just ripped me apart.
For me, Separate beds did not have a happy ending.
I hated Clay.I never ever ever wanted him to be happy.
I do not care if he realized he loved Cat in the end. He was pure and simple-a very selfish monster.
All of the people that read my rews already know how strongly I feel about my heroines. I am not really a feminist. I am not really so much for girl power. I really believe we do need man and I li
Didi
5+++ STARS

"He was sitting on a swivel stool this time, with his coat still on. He had one foot propped on a rung of the opposite stool, an elbow leaning nonchalantly on the edge of the counter.
Her eyes were were drawn to his, to the level, unsmiling study in gray. The silence hummed, enveloping her momentarily. Then without moving a muscle, he said, "You know what I want, Catherine."

For an oldie, this is a fantastic book that pulls the feels right out of you! I know I sound like a broken record,
Mo
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Of course it was dated. It is 30 years old. Panty hose, ruffled shirts for men, cinnamon tuxedos, Charlie perfume ... LOL, but I did enjoy it. Catherine annoyed me a bit but I suppose she had to stand her ground. Clay. Usually love an Ass but he was nice enough. Loved his family.

Things have a way of becoming clearer with time.
It lends perspective.

"Up yours, Clay Forrester!"

Towards the end of the book I just wanted them to get over themselves and sort it all out.

"Hearts and flowers."

"You'
Monica Murphy
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was a teen and fell in love with the marriage of convenience trope. A one night stand results in an unplanned pregnancy and Clay wants to do the right thing by marrying Catherine, even though really, they don't want to get married. They hardly like each other. But of course they grow closer and fall in love, etc.

So yeah. Marriage of convenience, one night stand, oops a baby, we must live together and pretend to be in love, oops we're falling in love, yikes I don't wanna f
Michelle
This is a story about a couple who marry temporarily for all the wrong reasons because of a pregnancy that developed from a one night stand. Claire never grew up with love or affection but instead had a father who belittled her and called her horrible names. Clay, on the other hand,not only grew up wealthy but with the most loving parents.

During their marriage Catherine has such a low self esteem because of the damage her father caused by his mistreatment. Clay tries desperately to help her, sh
Karla
I really enjoyed this book up until the last few chapters. Just a bit too much back and forth with the Catherine and her indecisiveness on her feelings for Clay. I hated Clay in the beginning and then he just overwhelmed with his change of heart. They both frustrated me at times, but when their emotions were raw and they just let themselves feel, it was awesome! A strong, well-written, lovely romance with a sweet HEA.
Kristin (KC)
Oldie but goodie! Excited to see if I love this as much the second time around...
Sophie ♥
This was so boring I nearly died. I got to the last chapter and I just couldn't go on anymore. What a waste of time!
Angie **loves angst**
This was a great read. All the characters were likable and real. My only complaint is the ending was a bit too rushed. I would've like to see more happiness between the H/h. Overall a sweet read from back in the day.
Katherine 黄爱芬
Jujur aja nih gw malas banget review buku ini.

Sebenarnya sederhana aja sih ceritanya, Catherine Anderson (19 tahun), dengan latar belakang keluarga miskin, masih virgin melakukan ONS dengan Clay Forrester (25 tahun) mahasiswa sarjana hukum yg orangtuanya notabene kaya raya. Ketika mengetahui anaknya hamil, Herb Anderson, ayah Cat yang bajingan dan pemabuk langsung berusaha “memeras” orangtua Clay.
Nah Cat malam itu juga “diinterogasi” oleh Clay yang merasa diperas oleh mereka berdua. Namun Cat ta
Joy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Darn I do remember this book, as soon as I began to read it. I set it down and amended the earlier five stars to one.

I'll be perfectly clear I love LS's novels, not everyone of course but the majority of them but this one is definitely way down there.

(view spoiler)
Season
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT!! It was my favorite of all her books. So well written, I felt like I was apart of the story.
I just love this one. Just reread it again and again I found myself so drawn into the story that I didn't want to do anything else until I finished it. It makes me laugh and cry at all the right spots. I just hate putting it down.
Charli ღ Denae
I've read this one a few times... one of my all-time faves. Thought I'd read it again. Lovin' it!!!
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
Foolish foolish people!
They both made their share of mistakes.

(view spoiler)
Lisa Kay
Sometimes I find myself rating a book higher than I would on hindsight simply because all the author's other books have been so wonderful. This is probably the case here. Also, LaVyrle Spencer can sure write in a way that tugs at my heartstrings. I have recently been re-reading some of my older books and when I came across this one I felt no desire to re-read it. What does that say? That it was too bittersweet for me? Probably. I remember I kept rooting for the h&h and that when the HEA came ...more
Lavada Dee
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out. Loved it then and love it now. There are stories that linger in your heart and this is one of them. It felt to read it again. I wish LaVyrle Spencer would come out of retirement.
Nefise
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read it a few years ago and don't remember much things. But I remember that I loved the book.
Vishal Mudgal
This book left me with confused emotions. No don't doubt a bit, it wasn't a torment b'ween my soul whether to give it 4-5 stars. It was a struggle whether to loathe it a lil or very much.
In the end I ended up loathing it.

It had some saving graces, like the girls in Horizons. I loved 'em. There is certain unreality which we create around ourselves when life becomes too real to live with. We dream of things and places where we'd rather be. We hope to hold the slipping of sand and want to remain in
Jane Stewart
3 stars. Good womens fiction story, a bit of a downer. Unlikeable heroine. Ending was happy but should have been better.

STORY BRIEF:
Catherine’s father was an abusive drunk. Her mother was weak. Clay’s parents were wealthy and loving. Clay and Catherine had a blind date. They saw each other only one night and she got pregnant. For interesting reasons, they agree on a marriage of convenience and to divorce after the baby is born.

OPINION:
Most of the book was not fun. But at the end I thought ok, I
Rooks
Apr 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time my former roommate and I were roadtripping together. This could have been a bit of a problem, because while she likes to listen to books on tape, I usually can't stand listening to someone talk at me for multiple hours at a time. This time, however, we discovered a genius compromise due to a truly appalling 80s romance novel - Separate Beds, a free gem we discovered over the course of our adventures procuring "hard-burld" eggs in Algiers Point. I could read to her, because I lik ...more
Dolors
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hearts and flowers. Tasty and compulsive hearts and flowers.
I was awake until 2 am last night because I had to know how it ended, couldn't stop reading!

The plot: Clay (drooling) and Catherine have a one night stand, and she gets pregnant. They come from different backgrounds, Clay is sophisticated, he comes from a wealthy family and he's got a model steady girlfriend.
Cathy is a hardened person because of the circumstances, her drunken father beats her and her mom continually, while she struggles
Fiary
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dalam suatu kencan buta, Clay dan Cat kebablasan. Akibatnya Cat hamil. Ayah Cat menuntut dan meminta pertanggungjawaban Clay. Cat Anderson sebenarnya tidak meminta pertanggung jawaban Clay sejauh itu, cukup Clay mengetahuinya. Tetapi desakan ayah Cat, yang penjudi, pemabuk gila harta berusaha memeras keluarga Forrester dengan berbagai ancamannya. Clay Forrester, mahasiswa hukum, dari keluarga terpandang bersedia bertanggung jawab hingga Cat melahirkan.

Tidak mudah bagi keduanya yang sebenarnya as
Lyuda
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Wonderful story from a master storyteller. Written in 1980th, the story is somewhat dated but the human aspect of it shines with realism. Catherine is poor, proud, intense university student who had a very difficult childhood with an alcoholic abusive father and distant mother. Clay is her total opposite: easy going, affectionate rich law student who came from a family where love and affection is given freely. Their one-night stand ended up in pregnancy. But this is not your typical accidental p ...more
Yona
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It was not what I expected but not bad at all. I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.
I had just one small problem - in the beginning there wasn't a year and a city. We have this marriage, ruined reputation, professions relaying on high moral and in the same time cars and dishwashers and new times. Everything suggests historical romance it's not.
And the loss of epilogue, I like to know where the story is going.

Despite those stuff - it was one perfect read for the rainy day.
Kim Rox
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was just a teenager and thought about it periodically through the years. It stayed with me. Re-reading it all these years later really had a profound effect on me. I found it not only evoking feelings of nostalgia but genuinely enjoying myself on a sort of trip down memory lane. Definitely worth another go. I highly enjoyed it and was thoroughly entertained.
Kathleen
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my favorite by this author, because the main couple were estranged too much. Still good, though. It's set about 30 years ago, so it's dated -- but it's interesting, recalling how things were in times of recent past. See Mo's review for images of Charlie perfume commercial, etc.
Lona Yulianni
Love it!!

Satu kata yang terucap dari saya ketika baca novel ini : Love so sweet :3 *tibatibaingetHanaDan*
Emosi saya ikut naik turun ketika baca ini: ikutan sakit, ikutan seneng, ikutan gemeteran, ikutan jatuh cinta...

Catherine Anderson sama sekali tidak ingin pertanggung-jawaban Clay Forrester dan keluarganya atas kehamilannya. Catherine lebih memilih tinggal di penampungan ibu hamil tidak menikah, melahirkan, dan melanjutkan studinya - itulah rencananya. Namun sang Ayah yang dibencinya, Herbert
Shelley
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not very often I give a low rating to a LaVyrle Spencer novel, because I love her so much, but i just absolutely HATED the "hero" in this story. (I used the " " because he sure as certain doesn't deserve the name hero.)
I haven't read her novels in the chronological order she wrote them, (perhaps i should line them all up by copyright date) but I just could NOT believe LS could write a male lead like ol' whatshisface when she could write heroes like those in That Camden Summer and Morning G
Kristy
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favorites. Once you open it, you will not be able to put it down!!!
  • A Perfect Marriage
  • The Coming Home Place
  • Tender Fury
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • No Longer Mine
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • The Torn Up Marriage
  • Sweet Lullaby
  • The Ultimate Betrayal
  • Silver Lining
  • The Fourth Child (Family Matters #3)
  • The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3)
  • The Marriage War
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Passionate Bid (Blue-Eyed Four, #1)
  • The Way of the Heart
  • The Mill House
  • The Substitute Wife
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...

“The value of affection going up when it was in short supply” 1 likes