Start by marking “Valor's Choice (Confederation, #1)” as Want to Read:
Valor's Choice (Confederation, #1)

Valor's Choice

(Confederation #1)

In the distant future, humans and several other races have been granted membership in the Confederation - at a price. They must act as soldier/protectors of the far more civilized races who have long since turned away from war... — Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr was a battle-hardened professional. So when she and those in her platoon who'd survived the last deadly encounter wit ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published April 1st 2000 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Valor's Choice, please sign up.
susannah Not so much in this book, but there are a few romances that develop over the course of the series.

Start your review of Valor's Choice (Confederation, #1)
Gail Carriger
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Military Space Opera written by a woman who really knows what she's writing about. Marvelous characters and alien races, extremely snappy dialogue, an endearing and tough heroine, and lots of fast action. Torin Kerr is one of my favorite main characters ever written, and I am a particular fan of this book (the first in the series) because it opens with a post sex pheromone hangover and ends with a battle based one of the early moments in the Zulu War (late 1870s).

Please, don't make the mistake
Mimi
Initial impression upon first finishing the book:
A rollicking good read, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would considering this is military sci-fi that's light on the sci-fi and heavy on the military.

After a quick reread:
My initial impression still stands. This was a surprisingly enjoyable read, although that will never not be weird to say about military fiction (even in genre). Another point in this book's favor is it's the beginning of a new series that looks like it could be rea
HBalikov
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what I was getting, but I would call this a military/space opera that hit all the right notes (for those of you who are into this genre).

Huff “knows her stuff” … (the extent of my poetic gift). She knows how the military should sound and how jarheads and grunts talk to each other and complain about their current situation, whatever that is. This is a story about combat troops “repurposed” for a critical event that should result in a new species being added to their allies. It is ne
Lilia Ford
Series Review:
I barreled through this series: Huff is an expert at crafting edge-of-your seat, against-all-odds showdowns, but also manages to underpin her books with a worthy (if somewhat limited) allegorical perspective.

This is military sci-fi, starring "Confederation" marines, and so is infused with military culture, with the added sci-fi interest of imagining a force that combines humans with two other (fascinating) alien species into a single fighting force. I was not surprised to learn th
K.F. Breene
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book before I went and started writing books myself. There is a crazy thing that happens when you write books, though. You develop editing brain, and you can no longer read without picking up all the little issues that you might change in your own stuff.

It is a real downer, let me tell you. I don't enjoy reading as much as I once did.

A real downer.

So I went back to this book, as I have a few other books I once loved, with a hopeful grimace. I really, really wanted it to be as good
Mike (the Paladin)
There's a statement made in this book that "troops" tend to remember the good part of service and not so much the bad. To an extent that's true, otherwise ex-militarily people wouldn't be fans of military reads...

This is an excellent action/military science fiction read. The Confederation is made up of multiple species of people. Some of these are so very adverse to conflict that the word pacifist can't even apply. They are physically, emotionally and even mentally unable to deal with it (this b
Tokio Myers
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Hey, what’ve you got?” “Same fukking thing as you,” Juan grunted. “Hot bag of balanced nutrients in a tasty fukking paste.”

It's no secret that Tanya Huff is one of my favorite authors so I'm a bit biased on her books. Still Valor's Choice is amazing. Filled with action, fun characters, weird alien species that I wouldn't want to hang out with, and a plot that is believable for a scifi book. Usually I'm not a fan of military science fiction but this was fun enough to have me hooked.

“Torin had
Lizzy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Valor's Choice, is the first of the Confederation series and my first book by Tanya Huff. It’s an excellent military space opera set in the very distance future. I enjoyed it from page one, but when action picked up halfway through I simply couldn't stop reading.

It revolves around a great protagonist, Torin Kerr, a marine female Staff Sergeant. Hardened military veteran, Kerr has been put in charge of a platoon of marines to serve as honor guard to a group of diplomats on a mission to get a
Nooilforpacifists
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every year, the weekend after the Superbowl, two months before real Baseball (World Champion Nats!) begins, I watch the movie “Zulu,” skipping the first 10 minutes. I did that again this year. About halfway through Tanya Huff’s “Valor’s Choice,” I thought “I recognize this!” Yet I would have liked the novel anyway.

Huff’s Space Opera starts as a diplomatic mission. It should be no muss, no fuss for the senior (female) NCO who is the protagonist. But the bottom drops out, and they recreate a defen
Andrew Obrigewitsch
While reading this I remembered why I don't read much military Sci-Fi. And that's because I find it boring. Yes, that's right.

I find that most military Sci-Fi revolves around cardboard cut out characters, that take part in wholly forgettable and uninteresting stories. This was no exception.

I only give it 2 stars because it's not bad for the genre. But this is a genre that suffers from a lack of talented authors. There are only two author that I can think of that I thought wrote good military S
Beth
Military SF isn't a genre that I naturally turn to, falling somewhere between mystery and horror in the middle-to-lower half of my spectrum of reading interests. But my steadfast--and patient--buddy reader Mimi was interested in reading this one, and the first volume of the series was in that "less than $3" sweet spot in ebook, so I decided to give it a try, too. The result was a resounding "okay."

The story: newly-promoted staff sergeant Torin Kerr is assigned to gather together a group* of Mari
Lata
Enjoyable story, with a bit of a slow start to introduce the member species of the Confederation, which picks up rapidly halfway in. Staff sergeant Torin Kerr is smart, and really, really good at managing her officers and keeping her squad of marines busy and focused. What starts as a diplomatic mission to bring in a new species, the Silsviss, to the Confederation, becomes an attempt to protect a bunch of diplomats from a frightening and increasingly desperate situation.
Likes: 1) The marines had
Mardel
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Valor's Choice. I know I'm coming late to this series, and I have the next three books here waiting for me to read. I've read a lot of Tanya Huff's contemporary fantasy books, but this is the first science fiction that I've read from her.

I was happy to find her humor throughout the narration of this book. The main character, Toren was interesting and a very strong personality without being overwhelmingly so. This book takes place in the future, a future so far in advance, that there ar
Veronica
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first military style science fiction read though I'm not sure why. I've loved science fiction since I was nine years old and fell in love (as much a nine year old can) with my very first fictional boyfriend. You may have heard of him. Han Solo? Unfortunately, no Han Solos in this book but I enjoyed it nonetheless. This is the story of a far and away future where multiple worlds comprise the Confederation, and who are facing the threat of an encroaching hostile race. To help shore up ...more
Donna
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a non-aggressive, peace-loving, middle-of -the-road liberal, I have no idea why I am drawn to space military sci-fi books. It's baffling. I think this is at least my third series in that genre, including the Heris Serrano and the Honor Harrington series. These series do all have female protagonists so I'm sure that's one appealing aspect for me. This is the first book in the Valor series and I plan on reading the others.

This series has a slightly different take as the main character is not t
Emily
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed it - but I'm calling this a 3.5 - mainly because i don't think the author does good job of really describing the alien races and a lot of the characters seem to just run together. However, it was a fun, action-packed read, and I plan on picking up the next in the series.
Margaux
May 29, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: sci-fi, 5-scribd
DNF @ 40%...not rating it.
The writing is really great and there is funny dialogue and decent characterization, but this is just a little too military-oriented for me. This book would be great for people who like straight-up military sci-fi! And the narrator, Marguerite Gavin, is fantastic for you audiophiles.
Ryan Schneider
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love military fiction, as well as science fiction, and so naturally I dig military science fiction.

I really enjoyed this book. Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr was indeed a bad-ass, as other reviewers have noted. She gets the job done. One of the blurbs likens her to the Ripley character in the ALIENS movies.

Huff's knowledge of military life rings completely true. The characters are all great fun, and she does a decent job of making the names unique in order to help the reader remember which characte
Jill Myles
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
It's really interesting because I can't say that I was IN LOVE with this book the whole time, but I was very entertained by it. Torin Kerr is a badass-meets-soccer-mom-meets-marine and it's a really fun combination. She's so friggin COMPETENT. And not in a Mary Sue way. It's more like, she has to be to stay alive. And she's a strong female character that never tries to rip the nutsack off of the closest male, which seems to happen far too often in 'tough' female character books.

I dig that. On to
Dana Stabenow
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been indulging in an orgy of military sf reading since February, when Patrick at Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego got me hooked on it. This is one of the best by far, a splendid blend of characterization, setting, plot and hand-to-hand combat. I'd follow Staff Sergeant Torin Kerr anywhere.
Carolyn F.
Reread by audiobook

I love this book. This a re-read for me so it's nice to go over stuff I didn't remember. I love the ending where Torin calls her commander a bastard without saying the word. This is a fantastic series I would recommend to sci-fi fans.

Megan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was an enormous amount of fun. Even towards the end, when the death count starting to rise, it was still fun. Which to be honest was a little jarring. A touch more gravitas could have made this a five star read. That, and a bit more depth to the characters, maybe a bit more attention given to the potential romance between the protagonist and her Lieutenant.
Alealea
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great sf. Great main character. Hooked from first line to last.
Contrarius
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this, for the most part.

It's very UF in tone -- single main POV with only minor digressions, fast bantering dialogue and mostly fast paced plot, blackish humor, skimming sexual attraction over action, minor angsting by the Very Capable Hero (female) over Duty and Life and such. And the UF tone was furthered by the narrator, Marguerite Gavin, who is known for narrating UF series like the Hollows, Kitty Norville, and others. I'm very fond of her narration style (the Hollows books were my
Thomas
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Given the fact that I recommended this book to someone, I think it deserves more than just a rating from me. This is my favorite military science fiction series.

I only joined Goodreads last spring and I read this book years ago. It's not just whiz-bang with tough-as-nails heroes, the foremost being Sergeant Torin Kerr, but is a very intelligent and thoughtful story, which also describes the entire series. Much consideration is given to not just what it takes to survive the crucible of war, but w
Tasha Turner
Great fun read. Loosely based on a real battle. Fantastic workdbuilding, great characters which were easy to relate to, the situation, the ideas, the battle, the various species were fascinating. The main character is a woman, well written, strong, quick thinking, great sense of humor. I had my husband pick up the series from the library and I'm looking forward to reading the 5 books currently out.

I'm always amazed by the breadth Tanya Huff has for writing. Different genres, the different series
Jamie Collins
This is very engaging military space opera, and it held up well for a re-read. There’s a lot of humor, mostly based on contrasting the habits and characteristics of a wide variety of alien species, but the story is quite serious.

Marine Staff Sergeant Kerr and her combat-weary platoon, composed of three mostly compatible species, and commanded by a brand new, inexperienced officer, are sent on a diplomatic mission which goes violently wrong.

Admittedly the aliens are of the Star Trek variety, with
Naomi
I won't be continuing the series. I'm not invested in any of the characters. Stuff happened, on to the next. That's my summary of this book. Also, some of the beginning was boring.
York
v good military science fiction...
Taryn
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, fiction
I read this on the recommendation of my sister-in-law Stefanie. She described Tanya Huff’s Confederation series as comfort reads, and that was all I needed to hear to convince me to try them out. I am pretty much all comfort reads all the time now. Valor’s Choice was a bit of a departure for me, as it’s military sci-fi set in space, a genre I’m fairly inexperienced with. One thing I liked, though, that made Valor’s Choice feel different than the stuff I’ve read before is that it’s written by a f ...more

• Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Sassinak (Planet Pirates, #1)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Night Shift Dragons (DFZ, #3)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1)
  • Games of Command
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s

Confederation (8 books)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation, #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2; Confederation, #7)
  • The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)