Start by marking “An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President” as Want to Read:
An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President

An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President

Unbroken Agony, An: Haiti, From Revolution To The Kidnapping Of A, by Robinson, Randall
Published July 1st 2007 by Basic Civitas Books

To ask other readers questions about An Unbroken Agony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unbroken Agony

Shanta
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the revolution of Haiti and how it relates to the African americans
I learned so much from this book and Randall Robinson. This book is an expose on the history of Haiti from the revolution to the present day. It outlines in great detail the American governments role in the illegal deployment of Aristed and and our role in corrupting the Hatian political system. Randall Robinson is an honest and factual writer and leaves no stone unturned. Every person of color in America should read An Unbroken Agony. It is an eye opening experience.
Ben
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The undoing of Haiti: author documents the great power's enmity against Aristide.(An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, From Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President )(Book review)
From: National Catholic Reporter | Date: 10/5/2007 | Author: Terrall, Ben
National Catholic Reporter

AN UNBROKEN AGONY: HAITI, FROM REVOLUTION TO THE KIDNAPPING OF A PRESIDENT By Randall Robinson Basic Civitas Books, 288 pages, $26

For all the justifiable vilification the Bush administration has received for invading Iraq and adva
Nicole
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again, excellent research and first hand experiences of witnessing U.S. (and France) treatment of Haiti, especially during the George W. Bush's Administration. Readers will learn the contemporary history of Haiti. The U.S. had its American Revolution against a European colonizer (England) but Haiti was the first to win a revolution against a European colonizer (France), but race plays a role in how the story is told. Readers will also get insight and learn about the difference in the quality of ...more
Sarah Rigg
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most valuable thing about this book is that about 90 percent of the material regarding the events of February through March 2004 are based on the author's personal eye-witness or interviews Robinson did with firsthand eyewitnesses to the departure of President Aristide from his country. Robinson does give some of the history of Haiti, helping to put Aristide's departure in context. I recommend it as a really riveting non-fiction read, but not as a comprehensive or objective history of the na ...more
Alexa Poeter
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
A play by play of the events leading up to the ousting of President Aristide and the events that followed, this book is extremely informative for those interested in a detailed account of the 2004 coup d'etat in Haiti.

Randall Robinson writes of the internal emotional anguish suffered during this time by the Aristides and those close to them, as well as the details of communication between concerned parties. He analyzes the role of US political officials and US media in implementing and covering
Kristina
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
A trust-breaking account of the USA's role in ousting the first peasant-approved, democratically-elected president of Haiti (Aristide) and instigating/arming rebels to terrorize the Haitian countryside in the surrounding months. This event was portrayed very differently in the media at the time (2004), viewed more as a black vs black dispute in an unstable country.

" It would seem that little of consequence has changed in the way that they white world behaves towards our countries. It cannot be g
Elaine Nelson
This was not the book I was hoping for -- I think I was looking for more of an overview of Haitian history, and this was almost exclusively about the 2006 coup against Aristide. And unfortunately, I couldn't even get into that aspect. The narrative style is roundabout and discursive, cutting back and forth over time, which made it hard to get a good sense of what was happening when.

Additionally, there's only so much "Americans are racist thugs" that I can handle being lectured about. Not that h
Michelle
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Robinson needed a better editor, but the story this book tells is one everyone should read. The US's role (along with France and Canada) in overthrowing the democratically-elected Aristide is disgusting and maddening. Totally undermines all of Bush's talk about supporting democracy and reminiscent of the US's involvement in Cuba pre-Castro (not to mention the rest of Latin America where this country has been so expert in destablizing countries and toppling popularly-elected governments for the b ...more
David Clayton
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book jumps around an awful lot (an obvious attempt to create tension, which didn't really work for me), and repeats itself even more. The verbatim repetition of certain phrases had, by the end if the book, come to remind me of Alan Carr's easy way to give up smoking, and indeed I wondered if this was the application of some kind of cognitive therapy technique. This would be particularly apt given the doctrinal preconceptions that the author seeks to disabuse.

On balance, this is a passionate
SpaceBear
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
A disappointing and poor book, considering that it was the only book I could find on Haiti prior to going there. The book asserts that American policy is dominated solely by racism, that white people are unable to understand black mentality, and that Haiti's myriad of problems are part of some kind of conspiracy. Why believe in conspiracies when the truth is bad enough? Also; the title is misleading. The book only briefly discusses Haiti's history, and focusses mainly on the ouster of President ...more
Ferentz
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it
a very quick read. i made my way through this in one day. the connections robinson draws between the conditions in haiti and us/european involvement are keeen, but he does not probe these with much depth. he is also resistant to critique the legacy actions of his friend Aristide and appears disconnected from the pulse of most haitians living in hati and the diaspora. he has a good handle on the extremists on both sides, but not those in the middle.
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the March selection for the bookclub at the Malcolm X Library (San Diego). I chose to read it because it offers an great history of haiti and an excellebnt first person account of the events around the kidnapping of president Aristide. January andf February selections are by Edwidge Danticat and since she is from haiti, I thought it would be nice to have some background.
Andalusia
Dec 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanted to learn more about Haiti and the coup against Aristide
I learned how much the Western World hated Haiti once they gained their independence and how France tried to charge Haiti millions of dollars for their boats that were still docked their after they gained their freedom.
More to follow once I finish it.
William
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My fellow college classmate, Randall Robinson, has written another informative and provacative account of America's influence to destabilze an island country and Haiti's determination to stand up for itself.
Steph
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
Starts with a good review of Haitian history. Then becomes a collections of facts pointing to CIA/US involvement in Haitian coups. Would rather just read the story than a collection of facts. Interesting though.
Matt
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
Brilliant. Read about the American crime that went unnoticed. Fantastically done. Beautifully written. Excellently researched and documented. And utterly gob-smacking. Another crime to add to Dubya's list.
Desiree
This is a very readable book about Haitian history and politics, but it is a little repetitive, and Robinson jumps back and forth between the two depositions of Aristide. He's trying to show the similarities, but it ends up sounding disjointed.
Anne
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Disturbing book...would like to read/hear another point of view. If what Robinson says is true, I don't understand why the US would orchestrate the ousting of a democratically elected president or why other countries were involved. There is just so much I don't understand about world politics!
Theo Williams
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History buffs, global politics, african-caribbean-latin american interest.
Recommended to Theo by: Book signing
Personal account of American involvement in the kidnapping of Haitian President Aristide. Great behind the scenes and untold stories of how the president was abducted and finally released from detention in the Congo.
Ramoako
Aug 21, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This man is the truth...
Susan
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another perspective, fascinating, about Aristede and the role of the US in his fall from power
Tom Mulpagano
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who believes blindly that America can do no wrong, read this compelling book about the many atrocities perpetrated against a country, by much of the "civilized" world.
Joy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this after I had been to Haiti. The president's pilot is a national hero.
Florence
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Haiti is a land of tragedy but its people are inspiring for their endurance and strength.
Austin
  • The Magic Orange Tree and Other Haitian Folktales
  • The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States
  • Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie
  • Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti
  • Masters of the Dew (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Secrets of Voodoo