Start by marking “Blink of an Eye” as Want to Read:
Blink of an Eye

Blink of an Eye

The future changes in the blink of an eye . . . or does it?

Miriam is a Saudi princess promised to another, a pawn in a political struggle that could shift the balance of power in the Middle East.

Seth is a certified genius with a head full of numbers, a life full of baggage, and an attitude born on the waves of the Pacific.

Cultures collide when they find themselves thrown
Published July 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blink of an Eye, please sign up.
Cyn Interesting - I wondered why I was having a heck of a time finding this book on Goodreads. I was searching for "Blink of an Eye".…moreInteresting - I wondered why I was having a heck of a time finding this book on Goodreads. I was searching for "Blink of an Eye". (less)

Start your review of Blink of an Eye
Victoria Lynn
This book was a bit of a wild ride! Whew! I enjoyed it’s heady, brainy approach and the consequently mysterious and exciting adventure that ensued. Though, I must say that overall, I left the book feeling very disappointed. IT was one of those stories that you have such high hopes for as you read it, and then when it wraps itself up (or fails to do so) you walk away disappointed and shaking your head.
Also, let it be known, I actually read the republishing of this under the title, In the Blink
Brett
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First off, Ted Dekker is not qualified to write this novel. He is neither an expert in physics nor an expert in Saudi Arabia. It was almost insulting that he puts on the front of having deep insight into either. Second, the use of seeing the future as a plot device felt like a huge cop out. Dekker takes the supposedly smartest man in the world and instead of using his intellect, he uses magic to get out of the random sticky situations he finds himself in. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for ...more
Naqib
Dec 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
don't like it. full stop.

i have nothing against Dekker really. but i would suggest him to really study the religion before he tries to write about it. nothing in the book shows the way a Muslim live.

first, Muslims take each of the five pillars seriously. not one is less important than the other.

second, no religious man would have commit violence against woman. if he do, that means he is not a religions man. simple. (an uncle kicking his niece until she is being admitted into the hospital for a
Jessica
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 14+
Recommended to Jessica by: Tiphanie
I loved this book!!
An adventure, romance and a man and a woman's search for the Truth. It was incredibly well written, fast-paced, easy to read and easy to understand, plus a hilarious, frightening and edge-of-your-seat plot.
An atheist student (Seth Border) at a small college with an IQ of 196 (Einstein's was 160 something) who has discovered a strange ability he has to see multiple futures in the blink of an eye, runs into a Saudi Arabian Princess on the run from her family and her nation, who
Janet
Oct 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing writing. It is obvious Ted is a Christian but he never preaches at you. He just lets the character cope with the situation in their lives and watches God deliver.

This particular book appealed to the linear side of my brain. His progression was so logical and made such sense. I loved how he blended the fact-based person with the faith-based person to bring about change in both of their lives.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'll keep it and read it again.
Nathan C.
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won't waste electrons by repeating the plot of the book--there's a sketch above--but I will give my uncensored opinion. This book is an indictment on Anglo bibliophiles. In other words, we're a bunch of tarnal fools, and Ted Dekker knows it.

Here's the method: Take an attention-getting subject like islamic extremism--never mind where you buy it, whether it's the genuine article, or whether you even know what it is. Take some cool surfing stuff from California. Add in some royalty to spice up
Pygmy
Rod
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audiobook while driving from Salt Lake City Utah, to Las Vegas and then down through L.A.. It was a great time waster.

Here we have a Saudi-Arabia modern Princess who flees to America because she's forced to marry some political butthead who's trying to take over the thrown. Yawn! The fun part is: she meets up with a Berkeley student Genius who has a Supernatural gift to choose the future. The run from bad guys and FBI agents... hilarity ensues.

Ted Dekker is a Christian author
Jay
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth Borders, a genius student in the graduate program at Berkley, thinks he's seeing things. Not hallucinations, exactly. Definitely not "visions"- the term has too many religious connotations. More like- the future. The future is just math, after all- calculating possibilities. Seth has always been brilliant at math- though the future thing is starting to freak him out a little...
Blink.
Miriam is on the run. Her father is trying to force her into a political marriage to a man she knows to be
Steven
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Ted Dekker. All though not his best book, but still the plot and characters make it a book that can stand on its own. The two main characters are certainly very different than each other, one a princess and the other a genius American college student. Both end up falling love, some thing you could see coming from the very beginning. I believe both characters, especially Seth, needed more depth. Seth's genius mind really did seem that noticeable through most of the book. The ...more
Jenn
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner from the beginning. It kept me up late. Most books take me two or three weeks to read, but I read this one in under a week.

The plot is riveting. The main character, Miriam, is destined for a life of brutality and loneliness. Her entire life has been planned for her from the moment of birth and she has absolutely no say in what befalls her. In fact, objections of any kind are a sure death sentence. Women in her culture are nothing more than objects whose sole purpose
Regina
Aug 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second attempt to read Christian "fantasy" fiction this summer. I gave this book 2 stars (would have given it 2.5 stars if possible) because it was a quick read, had somewhat intriguing characters and for the most part, the story line kept me turning pages. At first, I was really into the story, but then the story bogs down as the author literally stops the action to discuss a brief and biased overview of Christianity and Islam. The book is full of stereotypes, lacks proper background ...more
Christin
This book was thrilling!! I started it at 10:15pm and HAD to stay up until I finished it at 1:30am, despite having to work the next morning. It had it all--political intrigue, a clean romance story, and page-turning suspense.

My main complaint? This was NOT a Christian novel. I was talking with a co-worker and he mentioned the version he read was much more overtly Christian. I read Blink of an Eye and in it, he equated agnosticism, deism, Islam, and Christianity as equals. So long as you pray
Jeanette Blackson
I actually read "Blink of an Eye" which is a revised edition of Blink. I had never read anything by Ted Dekker only watched a few of his movies. I am not one to read scary books as I get nightmares, but this one was fine in that area. I really enjoyed this book. I have recommended it to many people since reading it and they have all really liked it as well. It has a bit of romance, lots of adventure, and some suspense. I learned a great deal about the culture in Saudi Arabia that I had no idea ...more
Biel
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
The plot was super irritating and quite popular nowadays ~ an adventurous tale about a super brilliant and equally attractive American white male who gets thrust into world politics. In this case, it's a Westernized fantasy about a Saudi princess named "Miriam" (which is totally an Arabic name) who flees the oppressive prospect of marriage in her country and experiences "true freedom", that is, not wearing an abaya (which Dekker equates with looking like Darth Vader) and having titillating ...more
Mary Cushnie-Mansour
Blink of an Eye by Ted Dekker was definitely a different read than some of the other books I have read by Dekker - The Bride Collector and Boneman's Daughters, for example - but this novel did not disappoint me.

The two main characters - Seth, a genius, and Miriam, a Saudi Arabian princess - are set on a course that is and isn't believable that something like this could actually happen. Are there geniuses out there who can do what Seth does - see numerous options into the future and analyze them
Randy Tramp
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put a Saudi princess and a certified genius together and a story unfolds.

Seth Border, Berkeley student, blinks and sees the future. In that future, a princess needs saving.

My Thoughts:

It’s rare I read a book twice since there are so many books I’d like to read. However, “Blink of an Eye,” I reread.

Seth Border has become my favorite character of all times. His quick wit, smart alec, personality drew me right into the story.

The first scene shows Seth debating with a University professor. “I’ve
Mark A Powell
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a slight rewrite of Dekker’s 2002 novel Blink. Unlike some of his later works, this story feels more like a whole story -- complete with character development, story arcs, and a decently satisfying conclusion. It's a strong testimony to the page-turning prowess that Dekker clearly possesses. Blink remains a clever, solid read that, while enjoyable, had the unfortunate side-effect of making me wish that Dekker would once again start writing more like it.
Lou
This book was so strange that at first I thought it was a continuation of of "The Martyr's song" but when I read that Seth had the gift of seeing the future, I completely changed my mind. This book talks about the future, love, the Middle East conflict, faith, etc.. I loved the characters and enjoyed every page but the names seemed a little strange but in the end, the whole story was great.
Tina
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when you cross a Muslim girl on the run from a political marriage and a genius level college student on the run from himself? A wild ride across the world where only God and faith can save them from certain death.

Blink is not Dekker’s best novel that I have read and the main characters needed some work. Especially Seth the quirky genius who bordered on cheesy. Well, that might have been intentional. Regardless, I was certainly entertained and Blink is likable if you take it for what
Leah
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So this is Ted Dekker at his best in story telling, high paced, fast moving and interesting characters.
really loved and enjoyed this story. It never gets boring.
definatly one of my favaurite Dekker books. I love this infusions of precognition it kinda reminds me of Minority Report.
The archs that the charators Seth and Mirriam go through are quite interesting.
Ben Perley
Meh. Pretty bland all around. Not enough compelling writing to persuade me to pick up another Dekker novel.
Stefanie
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ted Dekker has never failed to suck me in to one of his books. Blink was no different! I was hooked by the first page and found myself on the run right alongside Seth and Miriam as they eluded their foes.
I also liked that Dekker introduced another culture with Miriam being a Saudi Arabian princess. It gave me a view into something that I otherwise have no knowledge on. The way of life there is so different and it made me sympathize with Miriam in a strong way.
There are many possible futures, but
Carrie Kann
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, tbr
Ted Dekker is a masterful storyteller, and this book is no exception. I've read this one several times before, but this time I especially noticed how the question of the sovereignty of God was woven into the plot. Does prayer really change the future? Is God really involved in our day-to-day lives? Exploring these questions in the context of a fictional story is fascinating and unique.
Travis Bow
A don't-think-too-hard-about-it thriller. This was a page turner without emotional depth, but although it had some promise at the beginning for addressing problems like whether the future is fixed by its being known, it kind of dropped the ball on actually addressing them and turned into a man-hunt / escape attempt aided by clairvoyance and prayer.
Amanda H.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books i've ever read from a Christian author. The development of the story and characters was artistically woven from the beginning to the end. Love always wins <3
James Korsmo
I've heard a lot of good things about Ted Dekker, and this is my first forray into his work. He writes fast-paced christian fantasy fiction much in the mold of Frank Paretti. In Blink, Dekker follows Seth Borders, a brilliant graduate student who develops a very strange power, the ability to see alternate futures. At first, he can only see a few seconds into the future, but the gift develops into allowing him to see hours into the future. He is able to see an almost infinite number of possible ...more
Laura Sgro
I'll start off by saying that overall, I did really like this book. It was fast-paced, exciting, and kept my interest enough for me to finish it in one sitting. The two protagonists were likable and I found their stories compelling.

That being said, there were a few issues that I had with this book, which was my first time reading Dekker.

First of all, I didn't realize this was Christian fiction. Now, as an atheist, I'm not against reading books with religious overtones, and I've enjoyed
Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora St Laurent
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This novel is an amazing wild ride. I loved every second. The author gave a fascinating look at a princess who runs to America. She doesn’t want to marry a man she despises. It is her duty and custom to marry her family has chosen. This author does a brilliant job of allowing the reader to get into the skin of a woman who has been veiled all of her life and is suddenly exposed for all the world to see. It’s freeing and terrifying to come out from behind the cloth. When the princess arrives in

• House
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
  • Monster
  • Nightmare Academy (Veritas Project, #2)
  • The Visitation
  • Prophet
  • The Oath
  • The Returning (Seer, #3)
  • The Negotiator (O'Malley, #1)
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • When Through Deep Waters
  • Courting Trouble
  • True Devotion (Uncommon Heroes #1)
  • The Twelfth Imam Collection
  • Fatal Strike
  • The Crown and the Crucible (The Russians, #1)
  • Formula of Deception
  • Where Dandelions Bloom
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
“I think a woman is born with the desire to hear she is beautiful.” 78 likes
“You’re pretty sharp, Clive. Do you believe in God?”
Clive smiled. “I don’t know, should I?”
Actually, approaching the matter from a purely logical perspective, yes. All the evidence points to the existence of a creator. The single greatest body of evidence is the dismal failure of man’s desperate attempts to come up with a reasonable alternative, beginning with evolution. I’ve always looked at the universe and seen a creator as plainly as most people who look at the ocean see water.”
72 likes