Start by marking “Annie” as Want to Read:
Annie

Annie

(An Annie)

It's a hard-knock life for America's favorite orphan! Everyone knows the story of the irrepressible Annie, who lives at Miss Hannigan's orphanage until she beats the odds and finds a new life with the benevolent and wealthy Daddy Warbucks. Annie has enchanted millions of readers from her original comic strip appearance to the hit Broadway musical. Now, with a ...more
Published 1982 by Editorial Atlántida (first published December 1st 1979)

Start your review of Annie
JjJlJr
I'm angry! I'm angry that I did not find this book until today, at 17 years of age. This book could have easily become one of my all time favorite children's books. I'm sorry that I missed that chance, but glad that I have caught up.
Annie is a heartwarming story of an orphaned 12 year old girl who wishes to find her parents, who left her at the orphanage with a note and half of a locket to identify her.
Through a series of hard knocks in life, she grows up to be a strong, optimistic young girl.
James
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Annie' is Thomas Meehan's (1980) novel of his original story written for the musical (1977) of the same name - both of which were inspired and suggested by the long running New York Daily News cartoon strip 'Little Orphan Annie' dating originally from the 1920's.

Meehan's novel is the by now very familiar 'rags to riches' story - so oft told, but here it is a told simply, well and it's a lot of fun. Essentially Dickensian in it's inspiration with definite hints of Roald Dahl, it's set in New
Ana  Lelis
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really wasn't expecting to like this book so much. It's the kind of book you get to read and you can't stop it because how good it is. I was captivated by the narrative and the story itself. I found Annie a love, dedicated, hardworking, but always kind. And the ending was perfect!
Katy Noyes
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I grew up with the Albert Finney film, the songs, and my first understanding of the Depression era came from it.

Only recently did I discover that the writer of the 'book' of the musical, Thomas Meehan, also wrote a book. I think I have this right - the musical and the film came first, the book came after, though it doesn't feel like a 'novelisation', even though some lines (and song lyrics) do feel artificially inserted in.

Annie is the only child at the New York orphanage to cling to a
Marsha
Mr. Meehans book has definitely captured the aw shucks quality of the Annie musical; theres nary a trace of 20th-century sophistication or cynicism about it. Written in a facile, naïve fashion, this novel retains all the witless exuberance of a composition by a fifth-grader. The prose is exuberant but awkward, sometimes making the mistake of telling rather than showing.

In spite of the inept nature of the writing, the novel does manage to do more than recount its musical origins. It fleshes out
megan jane
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(Note that the movie I watched was the original Annie made in 1982)

If a burning question you have is, Was the book-to-movie for Annie a skilled adaptation?, my answer would be a Definitely!
The first piece of evidence to show this is noting the characters. In the book, the author portrays Annie as tough on the outside, but sweet on the inside. She is showed in the movie in the same fashion.
After reading this piece of evidence, you know that this is a good adaptation. If Annie was not the same,
Mona
This is one very special story with one very special ending. And that song. That song that my daughter has been singing to while watching parts of the musical "Annie" on YouTube, will be stuck in my head (again) for a long time.

Annie: The sunll come out, tomorrow, so you gotta hang on till tomorrow...come what may. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow.. youre only a day awayyyyyyy.

I've always known it, the song, but not the actual story, not till now. This is one emotional, heartfelt,
Nina
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya!
Judy Evenson
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Orphan Annie, was the original comic which ran in newspapers across the country beginning in the 1930s. In 1977 the broadway musical opened and in the 1980s this story was written which gives us more detail to Annies life on the streets during the depression. A reversed sequence to how books and movies usually evolve. ...more
Jamestownclass
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book title Annie
Author thomes meehan
Annie is a little girl. She is a orphan since 1933. Her own battle is Mrs. Hanngin. she owns the hudsion orphanage she hates kids all her life but she loves her job . she did not know her parents are she thinks her parents died in a fire. Then she spend Christmas the richest man in the world. The sectary miss grace frewell she went to the orphanage by herself the broad of orphans sent her to mrs hanngin place to get annie.the ending is very sweet and sad a
Summer
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I finally got through this. I don't typically read novelizations of movie or musical scripts, but I decided to do so for Annie even though our run ended a couple of weeks ago. I don't read them because novelizations almost always read a certain way; they're not works that have their own literary merit. They're just awkward, and unfortunately that was the case here. It's not written very well, and while it did add a whole section of Annie's rendezvous in New York when she escaped the ...more
Linda
Thomas Meehan gives young people a behind the scenes look at a Broadway musical classic "Annie". Adults get to learn a few things too. Meehan originally wrote the libretto or book for the show that wowed the world in the '70's with Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin's music and lyrics.

This is the actual book, a novelization of how Meehan originally envisioned Annie's journey from the orphanage to a New York City mansion. Meehan admits it was way too long for the stage, too complicated and too
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I must be honest, I actually liked this book more than I did the movie. The book adds a lot of depth to the story of Annie, with scenes that were not in the movie but added much more realness to Annie's story, including her time with some hobos (made hobos by the Great Depression), a spelling bee at her school, and her time working in a cafe for room and board.

All of the main characters are in here - the orphan warden, Daddy Warbucks, and Annie herself, but other characters also liven up the
Ken
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic tale of orphan Annie living in the Hudson orphanage that is run by the mean alcoholic Miss Hannigan.
Seeking to improve billionaire Oliver Warbucks imagine, secretary Grace Farrell suggests that he allows one of the orphans to stay with him for a week.

A great heartwarming tale is a must read for fans of the musical.
Kirsty Bradbury
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I love you Daddy Warbucks!" And how I loved the film adaptation from the 80's, but this fully fleshed out, more comprehensive story of Annie is a dream read for those who fell in love with the red-headed orphan years ago. More in depth characters and background story, such a delightfully engrossing read!
hanhilhen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
The story is amazing. Annie is so lovable. Tougher and clear headed compared it to Sara Crewe in
"A Little Princess"

Charissa Ty
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this book and the character with all my heart. If I ever had a daughter, I want her to be just like Annie. *adds to favorites* What a good way to end the day. What a good read.
Chamdyn F
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty good. It was about a little girl named Annie who is an orphan and had to live with a mean lady named Mrs. Hannigan until one day she was invited to go to a man named Mr. Warbuck's HUGE house. Over time the two of them really bonded and at the end Mr War bucks ended up adopting Annie because she never really found her real parents which is pretty sad.
I would probably recommend this book to girls who like the movie Annie. My favorite character in the book was
Sonya
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my fourth book and I have decided to read something more easy. This book is quite a quick read and I went through it in a very short amount o time. This book is mostly adventure but it is very realistic most of the time. This book is not very long 302 pages and is not hard at all.
The story begins with this little orphan Annie and her dream to find her parents even though they are already dead. She lives in an orphanage with some other girls and their crazy headmistress Miss Hannigan.
Joanna
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can connect to this book in many ways. One way is because on page 15 Miss Hannigan hit's the orphans with a paddle if they don't do what they're told. I can connect with this because when my mom was a child, she, her sisters and her brother got hit by there parents with a spoon when they disobeyed them. Another way I can connect with this is because my Aunt Maureen hit my cousin Catherine with a wooden spoon when she did wrong. These are two ways I can connect to the book Annie.
Anna Onezime
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Anna by: Mom
This famous book was amazing because I loved the story, and it was something I had never heard about. The story is about a girl that lives in an orphanage and waits for her parents everyday to back for her. But one day the owner of the orphanage tells Annie that someone is here for her... I would recommend this book to anyone that likes fiction books.
Tash C
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was shocked at how different this book was to the movie. In a good way though. The book went into so much more detail about the struggles that Annie experienced whilst living in the orphanage and throughout the time she was living homeless. Yet with a consistent feeling of hope throughout.
This book embodies the saying that the book is better than the film. I laughed, I cried, it was perfect.
Kiera Murphy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Have you ever wondered what an orphans life is like. this is a historical fiction book. The main charecters name is Annie. Annie has a dog named sandy. This takes place in New york City. I thing young adults would like this book. An intresting part is when she escapes the orphanage.
Renny Barcelos
I've always loved the movie, but it was the first time I read the book. Oh, my it's the cutest thing I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Gee, sir Thomas Meehan, thank you so, so, so, soooo much for writing this perfect masterpiece.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: with-the-boys
I love this story and the characters and Annie's adventures, but the book had too many big words and period references to explain to the kiddos, and it was missing the magic of the music. I look forward to showing the boys the movie!
TheGeekyBlogger
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listened for Review (Penguin Audio)
Overall Rating: 5.00
Story Rating: 5.00
Character Rating: 5.00

Audio Rating: 5.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Annie by Thomas Meehan was a favorite of mine as a child and held the test of time!

Review Coming Soon!
Danny
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-w-the-kids
This is a fun story to read with the kids, especially after seeing the musical and movie. It sheds some additional light on the Annie character as conceived by Meehan. It includes background story that did not make the musical or the movie.
leonie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved annie it was such an easy to read book an she was really cute and loveable and i really did like molly too, i especially liked the ending sentence and i got all the answers in the quiz at the back right so
Adelina
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sophie-s-books
I just finished reading this to my 5 1/2 year old, and I have to say I enjoyed it as much as she did. I saw the musical and movie as a child, and it was great reading the book with my daughter.
Andee Browne
A sweet introduction to the story told by the Broadway musical, if you can find a copy of it. It is Loooooooong out of print.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Snowman
  • Teh dan Pengkhianat
  • Sleepovers
  • The Secret Seven Adventure (The Secret Seven, #2)
  • Celia
  • আজ আমি কোথাও যাব না
  • আয়নাঘর
  • Unholy Matrimony
  • এসো কলম মেরামত করি
Thomas Edward Meehan (Thomas Meehan) was an American writer.

[Thomas^Meehan]

Librarian note: There is another author with this name in this data base. For the British-born botanist go to Thomas Meehan.

An Annie (3 books)