Start by marking “Welcome to Serenity” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Serenity

Welcome to Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  2,709 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
When Jeanette Brioche helped launch The Corner Spa in Serenity, South Carolina, she found a whole lot more than professional satisfaction. She discovered the deep and loyal friendships that had been missing from her life. But even the Sweet Magnolias can't mend the terrible rift between Jeanette and her family or persuade her that the holidays are anything more than a seas ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Mira (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Serenity

Jans
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Serenity is the most recent book in Sherryl Woods' Sweet Magnolias series. This is the most heartwarming, delightful book I've read in ages. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and embraced its characters in the first chapter.

Before I'd read even half the book, I'd already purchased four more of Sherryl Woods' books, including Stealing Home and Feels Like Family, two more of the Sweet Magnolias series.

The Sweet Magnolias are a group of four very close friends who live in the town of Seren
Susan W
okay okay okay,,...I am torn with this one. I enjoyed the book and travelling to the town Serenity. What I didnt like was the Tom/Jeanette relationship. The new guy in town runs into this woman and wham he is taken with her. Ok....sometimes that happens yes. But what I dont get is she tells him off, tells him no and doesnt give him any leeway to believe there is a chance from what I was reading and yet, he persues her still. Yes, there are those that believe anything worth fighting for is worth ...more
Jeanne
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Couldn't get into this one. Characters and action all a bit too forced for me. The ending was even more of a disappointment. I was sorry I plodded through the story to get to that.
Jodi
May 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015-read
Jeanette Brioche is a Christmas humbug. She has her reasons. So does the new town manager. Tom McDonald has only memories of a form over substance holiday and sees no reason to get excited. Unfortunately, both of them are responsible for putting together the town's Christmas festival. Tom and Jeanette hit it off (in a match and flame sort of way) immediately but soon see beyond that and discover they like one another. But Jeanette is looking to make a home in Serenity and Tom sees Serenity as a ...more
Tina
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this one this morning. I loved again the friend dynamic and the small town. I always wonder why I wasn't courted with the likes of the sweet magnolia's men, probably because they just exist in books :) The story is set around the holidays in Serenity and I think everyone will enjoy the fast read
Carol
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still enjoying the Sweet Magnolia series. I like the way they have expanded the original group of three woman to include others who live in Serenity, but still maintained the closeness of the group. I'll be back in town soon.
Nancy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still not sure how I feel about this book. For me, the ending was empty with no true conclusion.

Jeanette Brioche, the esthetician at the Corner Spa in Serenity, South Carolina, has her life in order. She loves her friends and their families but she is missing something in her life. In walks Tom McDonald, the new town manager. Theirs is a rock start and it gets bumpier when she realizes that his mother is the woman that ran her out of the last spa that she worked at.

As the holiday season is
Tobborah
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment was like a breath of fresh air. There was less history between the two main characters, Jeanette and Tom. In fact, Tom is new to Serenity. They both have histories that bring a challenge to a budding relationship, especially since Jeanette doesn't want one and Tom has plans of moving on, not of finding a woman he can be serious about. It was a warm hearted read and while the story ended too abruptly for my happiness, I'm hoping subsequent installments give me the rest of their s ...more
Jewett
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun read. Sometimes I really like a feel-good read that has good characters. You want some to succeed and some to get slapped down. This is a good example.
Amy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good book. loving this series
Mary Ellen
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series! Definitely recommend!
Katy M
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherryl Woods again, as always, delights and entertains.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
Ms. Woods writes absorbing, lively, non-trite romance with fully fleshed characters and plots. The Sweet Magnolias series is fabulous in that the central characters are around 40. This novel has one main romance who's characters are in their 30's and a secondary one who's characters are in their 40's; all Ms. Woods novels have some insight into relationships of all ages, unusual for romance novels. Amazing
Kathryn
Welcome to Serenity is #4 in Sherryl Woods' Meddling Sweet Magnolia series. This one was every bit as enjoyable as the previous books and for all the same reasons. A small town group of people who on the whole get on well together, support each other and are there when it counts.

Jeanette works at the spa and it is her turn to find someone to love. She has a sad background that has caused a rift from her parents, not of her making, but due to circumstance and illness. She is not the quiet retirin
Paula Ratcliffe
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This is a Christmas themed book. Christmas is gearing up in South Carolina's Serenity. Only two people seem to be in the bah humbug mood Jeanette Brioche and Tom McDonald. Jeanette from suffering a tragic loss many Christmas's ago, and Tom is suffering from a false Christmas's he's spent with his rich family. To him Christmas was all about networking and social situations.

Jeanette swore long ago over 3 years to be exact that no man would be boyfriend to her. She had been put second fiddle for fa
BooksAmL
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Am so sorry to admit that i have never read any of the books of Sherryl Woods, but i do not regret i have started with this one. The book has a nice plot that will be on the taste of any reader, and love that the writer has used just the "right amount" of romance.
All the story happen in the Serenity city, where Tom McDonald and Jeanette Brioche are giving the "assignment" to work at the Christmas festival. At the beginning they both had a hard working for the event because of each past history
Rebecca
Here's another one I didn't finish. There must be something wrong with me, but I just don't understand why I'm supposed to find it romantic for a man to aggressively pursue a woman, to the point of physically restraining her, after she's given him several clear and pointed rejections. I also got fed up with her so-called 'friends,' who could find nothing better to do than drive her towards his bed, smugly ignoring her repeated pleas that she wasn't interested, and just doing everything they coul ...more
Courtney Voss
I just couldn't get into this book. The plot isn't bad but the characters got on my nerves. The Sweet Magnolias are so feminist that they are sexist. If they were male, readers would be objecting in a big way. At one point they actually get their husbands to confront the male main character because he wouldn't have sex with the "heroine" as JUST a booty-call. God forbid he actually care about her.
Some of the character interactions seemed odd too. The dad shows up to be the hard, don't-go-near-m
Becky
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeanette came to Serenity to help the Sweet Magnolia's with their new spa. She found food good people in Serenity and true friends. She became an adopted Sweet Magnolia. She no longer enjoys anything to do with the Holiday season because of family issues, and this year is no exception. So when Maddie tries to convince her to be on the Holiday Festival Committee to promote the Spa, she flatly refuses. Tom McDonald is the new town manager that comes from a very prestigious family in Charleston. He ...more
Barbara
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great contemporary romance

Sheryl Woods is one of my favorite authors. I love following her series and The Sweet Magnolias is a good one. This one is about Jeanette and Tom; two people who are not fond with the holiday season. They are put together to help with the holiday festivities¬¬ for the town of Serenity. As the story goes, they go through the many differences between the two of them, Tom’s stuffy rich parents’ dislike of Jeanette, many reasons why Jeanette doesn’t want to get involved wit
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book in the Sweet Magnolias concerns Jeanette who works for the 'Corner Spa,' and the new Town Manager, Tom McDonald. Both Jeanette and Tom are not fond of the Christmas Season due to memories of their personal childhoods.

The match-making Sweet Magnolias assign Jeanette to be liaison between the Spa and the annual Christmas committee, while the Mayor has informed Tom that it is his annual duty to put together the best ever Christmas Town holiday. Both resist but, as we know with this group,
Mirella Grace
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violet-books
Nice story... I like Tom McDonald. Yah, dari 4 buku serial Sweet Magnolias, si Tom inilah favorit daku. Makanya dapet bintang 4, hehe. Ceritanya simpel. Yah, baik Jeanette maupun Tom memiliki alasan untuk membenci masa masa Natal dan buatku, ini wajar aja. Sapa juga yang gak trauma kalo punya problem kaya mereka, terutama Jeanette.

Rada gak suka sama akhir ceritanya. Kok menggantung ya?? Pengennya sih, di akhir cerita Tom dan Jeanette menikah. Dari 4 buku, cuma cerita Jeanette dan Tom ini yang ga
Syeda Nessa
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Off all her sweet magnolias I like this book the most. This is because this one has the most depth. I love that there were alot of problems. Not only did the main characters have personal issues they also had relatonship issues as well. At the end I was suprised very much. Usually all the problems are resolved before it ends however not in this case. All the problems weren't solved before the book ended.
Gail
The story of Jeanette, the spa services manager (massages, facials, etc.) at the Corner Spa owned by the Sweet Magnolias. She and the hero are down on Christmas, and both forced to work on the city Christmas committee. Hero is Tom, who is the new city manager. They both have issues with their parents--his are interfering and overbearing, and hers are absent and uncaring, apparently. Parent issues create most of the conflict, if not directly, then indirectly. It's a good read.
Lara
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Spa manager, Jeannette, gets her turn at love.

I was enjoying the story without too many annoyances experienced with the previous books, when the story wraps up in a rush. I think I have to leave Woods' writing alone for a while, since I end up annoyed so much of the time.

I'm missing the strong women of Blackberry Island, who actually make their men (not all of whom are millionaires) work for forgiveness; not simply repeat "Sorry" five times and then everything's good.
Linda
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in the Sweet Magnolia series. This one brings in Jeanette who runs the spa and the town manager, Tom. Both of them have memories of family and Christmas that need resolving. Sometimes I feel that the Sweet Magnolias are a little too nosey and too pushy but they are all friends and love each other very much.
Ayu Wirdha

Side storynya lebih seru yaitu ttg Mary Vaughn yg jd public enemy krn mencoba merebut Ronnie dari Dana Sue 2x & gagal pula (menurut gw sih Mary ini cewek agresif, tp selama yg dikejar statusnya single yah oke2 ajalah, toh setelah jelas2 ditolak Mary pun mundur) mencoba untuk memperbaiki hubungan dgn ex suaminya. Tp tetap saja porsi terbesarnya adalah Jeanette & Tom. 3
Patricia Solla
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Romance doesn't come easy to the central character of this story but it makes the story interesting. Matchmaking abounds. The setting is fall into winter and Christmas abounds and there are ho ho hos and bah humbugs. What's nice is that it actually works out to be two romances as there is another underlying love story within.
Darcy
This one was ok, Jeanette and Tom were sort of blah, each with their own Christmas issues. I felt like Jeanette had more of a reason for the issues than Tom, who's were more of poor little rich boy. It seemed like for much of this one Tom didn't take in account Jeanette's feelings and just steamrolled over her, especially at the end.
MaryAnn
I liked the book, but a note to Ms Woods, when you 'end' the book in 2 pages, it makes the reader feel cheated. The plot was interesting, and I think your characters and your readers deserve a more detailed completion! I felt as if I put my faith in this book and you just hit send when you didn't want to write anymore, regardless of where the storyline was.
S
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not finish this book. I really tried, but the narrator ruined the book for me. Her tone and Southern accent were just too hard to cope with. I read all three books before this one and am reading number 5 now, but this one was simply awful. I never quit reading a book part way through, but this is one that I did. Sherryl Woods, please NEVER use this narrator again.
  • Fireside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #5)
  • Orchard Valley Brides: Norah\Lone Star Lovin'
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
  • Almost Home (Chesapeake Diaries #3)
  • Reflection Point (Eternity Springs, #6)
  • The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3)
  • Lip Service (Lone Star Sisters, #2)
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
More about Sherryl Woods...

The Sweet Magnolias (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)
  • Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3)
  • Home in Carolina (The Sweet Magnolias #5)
  • Sweet Tea at Sunrise (The Sweet Magnolias #6)
  • Honeysuckle Summer (The Sweet Magnolias #7)
  • Midnight Promises (The Sweet Magnolias, #8)
  • Catching Fireflies (The Sweet Magnolias, #9)
  • Where Azaleas Bloom (The Sweet Magnolias, #10)
  • Swan Point (The Sweet Magnolias #11)