Start by marking “Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #5)

Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress

(Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #5)

Overjoyed at Maryanne's engagement, amateur sleuth Sophie Katz can't wait for the wedding vows and party toasts to begin. But then Dena—best friend, bridesmaid and all-around vixen—is mysteriously shot just after the announcement. Leave this to the authorities? No way. Dena may never walk again, and Sophie vows to marry her fists with the shooter's face.

Problem is, the num
Published May 18th 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress

Lynda Tatad
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first Sophie Katz novel that seemed to drag for me. It started out with a bang, as Sophie's friend Maryann tells Sophie and Dena, her cousin, about her engagement to Monty. When Sophie and Maryann step out of the room, Dena is shot!

From there, is when it started to drag. Since Sophie is an ameteur sleuth, and a mystery writer, she feels she can do a better job than the police, and her private investigator boyfriend Anatoly, in solving the crime. She keeps secrets from Anatoly, since
M.J. Heiser
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm at a bit of a loss. After all, I *like* Kyra Davis. I *like* Sophie Katz. I *like* everyone in this book, pretty much; I mean, there are the good guys and the bad guys, and I'm not foolish enough to say that the bad guys were overly likable, but all of Sophie's friends held true to their (rather caricatured) personalities. The thing is, I think that I might be growing out of this series.

It's nothing really that Kyra is doing wrong, it's just turning a bit away from the mystery aspect and tur
Brooke Sillaby
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Round up to 3.5 stars.
Penney
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, mystery, chick-lit
*This review focuses more on the audiobook than the written book*

I've done this entire series on audio, until I was half way through this installment. It took me that long to realize that the narrator was ruining the books for me. This is a funny series, I know it's supposed to be anyway, but I always found it more annoying than humorous. Sophie's idiocy and refusal to listen to common sense just dove me crazy. But every once in a while I would see the light. I would giggle and chuckle and I kne
laninaki
Sophie drove me crazy in this latest installment. She's arrogant, she's wrong, she insists that Anatoly and everybody else listen to her extremely flawed evidence, but won't give anybody else's theories the time of day because, you know, she's ALWAYS right. It's incredibly frustrating. After five books, in which she is often wrong and does extremely stupid things, she still hasn't learned her lesson. She's also a total bi-atch to Anatoly, jumping down his throat without provocation, ignoring him ...more
Sunny
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Sophie Katz is elated at the news of her friend, Mary Ann, being engaged. But the pre-wedding excitement is put on the back burner when her other friend, Dena, is shot in the back- and may never walk again.

Now Sophie is on the warpath, utilizing her amateur sleuthing skills to find the culprit and doing the exact opposite of whatever common sense tells her to. But hey, when has common sense ever gotten her anywhere?

This was a nice installment in the Sophie Katz series (fast-paced, amusing, nice
Meredith
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series. It is perfectly lighthearted and sassy, and the writing is so witty and funny. Marcus is truly the gem of these books in my opinion. His lines are pure gold. This one had a nice surprise twist at the end that made me excited to move on the the next one!

I did notice a few glaring editing errors! At once point, Monty is referred to as “Manny” by Mary Ann. Anyone else catch it?
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! Easy fun read for entertainment!
Barbara Andrews
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good story and characters. Part romance part mystery great combination. Starting the second one can't wait.
Shoshana Frank
This one wasn’t as light as the others in the series. The characters were a lot more angry and not as sassy. I hope the sassy funny themes come back in the next installment.
Naitasia
audible / audiobook

I forgot how much I enjoy this series, especially as a palette cleanser. Mary Ann is still annoying AF, though.
Hannah Sandler
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was downright painful to read.
M
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anatoly is married? Arrrgh!
Marlene
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Can't wait for the next one.
Chibineko
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For getting me so into another series that I feel that I have to rush out & boy every single book. When I got this book from the vine program, I wasn't aware that it was the fifth in a series. I wouldn't have immediately guessed it from the writing- it was smoothly written enough to where even a new reader like myself could get drawn into it. Now I just have to read everything else so I can get the whole story.

Sophie Katz isn't your typical San Francisco native. Not only is she a well publi
Zee Monodee
Another one I got into without knowing it was somewhere part of a series, but mind, any reservations I might've had about jumping into a book with a prior-established cast and storyline melted right from the prologue itself.

Ms. Davis introduces us to the whole Sophie clan, and within a few paragraphs, has introduced everyone and settled her reader right there into the scene. She won me from here already.

I loved the light, fun tone of this book. Sophie and her clan are over the top but this comes
Dawn
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.75 Stars. Better than the last but that is not saying much. The storyline is a tad better than the previous book but that is not saying much. Here is the challenge I face reading this series. I like some of the characters. I like enjoyed the romantic story line between Sophie and Antoly. That story line has become progressively weaker. There was very little interaction between the two in this book. Yes, the obligatory fights and make up sessions were presence but not convincing. Anatoly progre ...more
Sandie
Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress captures the very essence of the city of San Francisco and exposes its readers to a true “melting pot” of human quirks and hang-ups……..everything from kinky sex and sensual escapades to friendship and fairy tale weddings courtesy of an unconventional and eclectic cast of characters.

Our protagonist, Sophie Katz is an impulsive, half Jewish half black mystery writer who surrounds herself with an inner circle of wild and crazy humanity. There’s her independe
Beth Harrelson
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
For some reason I enjoy this series enough to keep reading. Normally, when a character is so self-righteous and accuses everyone of being anti-feminist when they offer male assistance I quit. Sophie is too impulsive, demands respect and trust instead of earning it, blames everything on her boyfriend and thinks she's invincible.
The series is humorous enough but predictable and I suppose a good intermission for me while reading paranormal which is my normal genre.
Kyra Davis has made me enjoy her o
Darcy
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery, chick-lit
I am getting a little tired of the whole up and down between Sophie and Anatoly. Their drama, which is mostly on Sophie's end, makes me want to reach through the pages and thump her head like a melon. The sad thing is at some points during this book I got where she was coming from and did think she brought up some good points to Anatoly.

One of the best thing about these books continues to be the friendship between Sophie, Dena, Mary Anne, and Marcus, with Leah thrown in to spice things up. Usua
Lemonitsa
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
June 17/10 -- Chapter 9 --

June 18/10 -- Chapter 17 --
So far I am enjoying this just as much (if not a little more) as the previous books in the series but there are moments when I'd like nothing better than to throttle Sophie! She is so self-absorbed at times that it is quite irritating. Anatoly has the patience of a saint.

June 20/10 -- Finished --
This is my favorite of the 5 Sophie Katz books. I enjoyed the mystery and even though I had an idea who the perpetrator was, it still made me doubt my
Jaime
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, 2011, mystery
Sophie is an established author who fancies herself a bit of a detective. I’m jumping in 5 books into the series, but any backstory that was relevant is explained. The characters here are over-the-top in one way or another, from the Disney loving Mary-Ann and Monty to the polyamorous Dena and Jason to the perpetually-stoned Amelia to the secretive Russian Anatoly. And Sophie is the glue that holds all of them together. As you would expect from the cover, the tone to this mystery is relatively li ...more
Cathy
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great latest release! Love the Sophie Katz mystery series. This was the latest release from Kyra davis and in her chick lit detective series thhat came out earlier in 2010. Again, I listened to this installment and its excellentr narration by Gabra Zackman. I honestly didn't recognize her voice at first because it changed so much since the first book. The novel begins at a get together at Deena's house with background commentary talking about the variety of types of persons who inhabit San Franc ...more
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Sophie Katz is shocked when her best friend, Dena, is shot and nearly killed. She is determined to find who did this to Dena and does whatever it takes to bring down the shooter.

This is my first Sophie Katz book. I found her to be an interesting character with plenty of flaws and issues. I am from the Bay Area, so reading about San Francisco was fun. The secondary characters were quirky and added to the story.

Overall, I didn't love the book. I liked it. It was light and nothing outrageously exci
Ashlie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
My favorite Sophie book so far! This book was very fast paced and kept you guessing until the end. Sophie's BFF Dena is shot in the back by an unknown assaliant. Sophie being true to her dumbassness believes she can locate the killer before the police. So as usual she forces her PI boyfriend to assist her yet holds back important information and puts herself in danger. I'll be honest I don't read these books for Sophie or her complicated and toxic relationship. I read it for her friends! I love ...more
Sara
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, series, 2010
I really love this series but I found this book lacking. Marcus was really the highlight of it for me. Every scene he's in guarantees at least one laugh out loud moment. The plot was pretty simple, nothing too complex. I like the interaction between Sophie, Marcus, Dena, Maryanne and Leah. They're a great set of characters but I've grown tired of the constant arguments between Sophie and Anatoly. If they're not having sex, they're yelling at each other. I really question whether or not you can c ...more
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books, 2012
I really felt like this series was going downhill for me when I read the books, so I never made it to this, the 5th book. Then, I started listening to them on audiobook, and fell in love with this series in a way I can't even explain. I read really fast, so I never got the humor and ridiculousness of this series like I did when I listened to it!

This was a great mystery and I was definitely surprised when I was listening! I feel so close to the characters in this series now and this 5th book rene
Stacy
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved the raw emotion of each of the characters in this book. I think that's my favorite thing about the Kyra Davis series--the characters grow in each and every book; they don't simply stay stagnant. I loved how many of the characters from the last book were reintroduced in this book and the story picked up right where the other one left off. There were plenty of "false leads" to keep you guessing throughout the entire book. I was surprised, though, not to see Kyra's mom make an appearance in ...more
Melissa Ward
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kyra Davis - Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress
Mira, 2010.

The latest in the Sophie Katz series begins with a bang, literally. Sophie's not so perfect paradise is disrupted when her best friend is shot in her own living room. After the suspenseful introduction, the story continues forward with a strong momentum. Towards the middle of the novel, this momentum seems to slow a bit, bit Davis uses her usual surprise suspense endings to jolt the reader out of their heavenly novel coma. Her witty
Bonnie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This starts off with a bang that no one hears. In the first few pages, Mary Ann tells Sophie and Dena she is engaged, Dena gets shot in the back and can’t feel her legs, and Sophie and Anatoly (her boyfriend and a PI) both try to figure out who shot Dena and why.

There are a lot of references to kinky acts and steamy situations, but most of it is left to the reader's imagination making this book spicy and sensual rather than hot.

I laughed, I snorted, I cried, I cheered and stayed up late just to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Working Stiff (Sofie Metropolis, #4)
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Beautiful Boys (Beautiful Bastard, #1, #2, #3)
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Slightly Suburban (Slightly, #5)
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Campaign Promises
  • Corliss (Girls of Spindrift, #1)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • The Soul Collector
New York Times bestselling author of JUST ONE NIGHT, DECEPTIVE INNOCENCE, the Sophie Katz mysteries, SO MUCH FOR MY HAPPY ENDING and the upcoming DANGEROUS ALLIANCE, JUST ONCE MORE and JUST ONE LIE (July 28th, 2015).

Sophie Katz Murder Mystery (7 books)
  • Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)
  • Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #3)
  • Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #4)
  • Vanity, Vengeance And A Weekend In Vegas (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #6)
  • Chaos, Desire & A Kick-Ass Cupcake (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #7)
“I only lie to people I care about. So try to feel honored.” 9 likes