Start by marking “Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty” as Want to Read:

Another extraordinary business fable from the New York Times bestselling author Patrick Lencioni Written in the same dynamic style as his previous bestsellers including The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Lencioni illustrates the principles of inspiring client loyalty through a fascinating business fable. He explains the theory of vulnerability in depth and presents concrete ...more
Published December 30th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published February 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Naked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Naked

Start your review of Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
Michael
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Getting Naked" is a metaphor advanced in a new book by the prolific and insightful Patrick Lencioni, about how to build a culture of client service excellence by helping people shed their fears, baggage, and ego in any business for which dealing with clients is a driver of success.

The book, which takes the form of an accessible if sometimes contrived first-person story, focuses on the fears that effect all of us in client service-oriented business:

- Fear of losing the business, which often caus
Tim
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not much new here. Once again a fable to fill enough pages to sell a book. If you are a busy business person, just read the last 20 pages
Ashlee
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Just finished Getting Naked. Ha! I definitely learned some new ways to approach my business. It is a very fast read. Resist operating from a fear of losing business, feeling inferior, or being embarrassed and instead just serve and give to the client.

To Get Naked in Business:
Always Consult instead of Sell - (Don't be afraid of losing the business.)
Give Away the Business - (Just serve and give people what they need!)
Tell the Kind Truth - (Give the direct truth in a helpful and kind way.)
Enter the
Margot Note
Read this afternoon, feeling as though I was playing hooky from my "real" consulting work, but it was just what I needed to read as a consultant and business owner. (Between readings, I pitched the first phase of a potentially long-term project with a client I'm delighted to work with--so there's that!)

The Three Fears:
#1: Fear of losing the business
#2: Fear of being embarrassed
#3: Fear of feeling inferior

The principles of naked service:
Always consult instead of sell
Give away the business
Tell the
Julie
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Our agency has recently moved to an Account Management/Project Management model for account service. Instead of tiers within the account service structure - we now have people who focus on the business needs partnered with those focused on the operational work needed to produce outstanding marketing materials for our client.

In an effort to develop a stronger account management culture here, we're reading a few books to help us grow in this regard. This is the latest one and, so far, the best. F
Nadya Ichinomiya
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Although I'm not a huge fan of fables in business books (some are just so cringey), I love ones by Patrick Lencioni. They are compelling, realistic, and the story-telling's payload is practical and actionable. This was a book about the benefits of vulnerability, useful to not only "client loyalty" fields but applicable to all kinds of other human interactions, whether in business or personal. ...more
Helena
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's a good book for consultants. As is the style of Lencioni, the book is a story, told in the first person, that highlights the contrast between the old, fear-driven style of consulting , and the new, trust-building type of consulting. The book is easy to read, light, funny and gets the point across. ...more
Ryan Huff
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This was a well written and easy to consume book. A refreshing narrative for a self-help / sales book.
Stephen Gonzalez
I read this book in 3 days. I don’t read any book in 3 days!

Lencioni has a very unique way of communicating his philosophy about how service providers of all types can better sell to and serve their clients. The first 80% of the books is a fable about a consultant struggling to understand and then relate back to his management how a smaller competitor seems to beat him and his larger firm in every head-to-head deal. Only after his firm acquires the smaller firm does and he is assigned to oversee
Alwaled Hakamei
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Coming from a consulting background in the middle east I can definitely relate to the book. The book tells a fable about Jack Power a Senior Consultant in prestigious consulting firm who acquired a small consulting firm called Lighthouse and he was assigned responsible for the integration. Jack faces a challenge represented in the cultural differences between the two companies (Traditional consulting vs Lighthouse way). As jack dives deep in lighthouse approach he finds it more successful and mo ...more
Brian Lawrence
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best books on management consulting that I’ve read to date. Written as a fable, and citing Lencioni’s own strategies for consulting, this book is a page turner. I blame the author for making me lose sleep the night I decided to pick this up because I could not put it down. I had to get to the end of the book and it was the very early hours of the morning before I finally conceded I needed sleep. Easy to understand principles, maybe not so easy to Implement unless you’re willi ...more
Heather
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
All consultants should read this one! Short read really enjoyed it and it just confirms I’m with the right company.
Chad Warner
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants
Recommended to Chad by: Michael Zywicki, Sara Dunn
This book tells how consultants can forge better client relationships by being vulnerable. Vulnerable, or “naked,” service is characterized by uncommon levels of humility, selflessness, and transparency for the clients’ good. It tells how to be more like team members than vendors. The result is work that’s more enjoyable, profitable, and rewarding.

It explains three fears that hold consultants back, and how to overcome these fears. Written as a fable, it’s short, but still longer than necessary.

I
Tommy Kiedis
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
In typical and enjoyable fashion, Patrick Lencioni spins another leadership fable with keen insights for leaders and the organizational cultures they seek to build. Pat's business fable about Jack Bauer is my favorite. It's a great story that teaches and illustrates the importance of vulnerability while thoroughly entertaining via a believable page-turner. This book is personal in that Lencioni shares his background, including the reason behind the birth of The Table Group. ...more
Peter Krol
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Lencioni has a way of taking very simple principles and applying them to business situations in a profound way. Although he writes secular business books, Lencioni gives glory to God the Father through Jesus Christ in his acknowledgments. I don't always agree with everything, but I am amazed by what the application of a few biblical principles can do when one takes Paul seriously and gives "glory to God" in "whatever" he does.

In this case, Lencioni proposes a method of consulting that he calls "
Patrick
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting Naked is a "business fable", a genre in which the author takes a pamphlet-sized set of business principles or a short theory and expands it into a short, light narrative through which he introduces the concepts.* It's padding, but it's a much more enjoyable way to learn than a dry, lecture-y business treatise. Overall, I approve. (Besides, if you have to pad, at least pad with a story. De Bono Edward's Six Thinking Hats was padding via repetition, and that was far worse.)

In Getting Naked
Liza Fireman
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
In general, I really appreciate Patrick Lencioni's books, but this is not one of them. It is not that interesting, doesn't give insights or approaches that are different from his other books, and not that well written. In addition, I can't stand the fact that Lencioni is pushing religion and its calming affect in some of his books, it doesn't make me feel comfortable, and it is 100% not inclusive.
Skip this, read The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable instead.
Eugene
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ryan Briones
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for people in service-oriented work. (I myself am a software consultant) The format, fictional story/object lesson, is the perfect delivery system for this content as well.

If you liked this book, I highly suggest you read Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box. Similar format and equally good information for folks in service-oriented work.
Kiessa
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a business colleague whom I admire very much. He embodies the principles of the book, and if you have read the book you will recognize how special that is. That said, this book challenges human beings to bring their authenticity and vulnerability to their work, enhancing professional relationships and business transactions. While perhaps not the most revolutionary of ideas, the application of the concept seems to be rare. I couldn't put this book down, and I ca ...more
Natali
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
First off, I didn't realize this was a fable until I was done with it. Felt dumb about that. But it almost didn't matter because this book was written as an engaging story with a valuable lesson. It feels more like a novel than a business lesson.

This may not be groundbreaking stuff in the realm of personal empowerment but I think it is in the stuffy corporate world. It is a refreshing take on how to be a human being in business and not just a suit. I liked it.
Ron Mcintyre
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Took me some time to get into it but once I started, I was reminded of similar situations that I have dealt with that had the same types of twisted conversations. I thought for sure that Patrick had been in the room with me during some of those exchanges. It boils down to relationship capital or relationship management, with an operative word of vulnerability and trust.
Randy Fox
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Done as a narrative tale, listening to this book was really excellent and revelatory. Essentially it tells us to throw out sales scripts and manipulative technique and simply to be ourselves. Should be simple but most of us are trained to perform instead of to just be.
Omar
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent read, not as universal as Lencioni's other books. If you're in consulting then it's definitely a must read. ...more
Mark Wiltshire
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic view on how to sell without selling, how to approach new clients, and how to build fantastic clients that appreciate and value your services.
Michael Harden
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the author (we worked together at Oracle) and his series of business fables (I have everyone one of his business novels). My first introduction to Getting Naked (and perhaps my favorite) was Five Dysfunctions of a Team, and I was hooked on the engaging style of the Fable. With the first major division of the book relating to a fabricated (but true to life) "story/fable" about a particular institutional or leadership truth, the reader is drawn into the drama and begins to relat ...more
Siim
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sales
Lencioni delivers on a description of how his firm does consulting - open, honest, client-driven, not afraid to be completely naked in front of each other (metaphorically speaking, of course).

The 3 fears to overcome to have frank conversations with clients and actually have success:
1. Fear of losing the business - what you do should be driven by your desire to help and improve the industry rather than a determination to close the sale. This also means you don't have the fear of making a mistake
Paweł Kołkowski
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sales
1. Fear of loosing the business - no one like to loose client. We must be more interested in helping our client than to maintaining revenue source. Client can smell fear and are repealed by it - like on a date (honest vs desparate guy).
1. Alway serve not sell
2. Giveaway the business - giving advice and service before fee and give up short-term revenue increase for long-term relationship - be more interested in service than in charging client.
3. Tell the kind truth - confront the client wi
Eric
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"What clients want more than anything is to know that we're more interested in helping them than we are in maintaining our revenue source. And when we do something, or fail to do something, in order to protect our business, they eventuially lose respect for us and understandably question whether they should trust us."

I finished Getting Naked: A Business Fable About Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty by Patrick Lencioni. 240 pages, book #18 of 182 (WOO 10% DONE), finished 2/4/2
Kheira TAIEB AHMED
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book main idea is vulnerability in the consulting world(for me, it can be useful in several ways in our lives). What does that mean ? It means show your client your vulnerabilities and weaknesses !

Providing a good service and building a trust relationship with a client is all based on being vulnerable/naked, which can be explained by knowing, understanding and giving away 3 kinds of fears:

The three fears are:
the fear of losing the business
the fear of being embarrassed
the fear of being i
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Slalom - San Fran...: Trying to make this specific to a book 1 1 Dec 30, 2012 05:07PM

• The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • The Advice Trap: Be Humble, Stay Curious & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Understanding Michael Porter: The Essential Guide to Competition and Strategy
  • Traction
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • The Soulful Art of Persuasion: The 11 Habits That Will Make Anyone a Master Influencer
  • What the Heck Is EOS?: A Complete Guide for Employees in Companies Running on EOS
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • The Infinite Game
  • A Mind for Sales: Daily Habits and Practical Strategies for Sales Success
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • A Box of Matches
  • The New Strategic Selling: The Unique Sales System Proven Successful by the World's Best Companies
  • Ask: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy...Create a Mass of Raving Fans...and Take Any Business to the Next Level
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to