Start by marking “Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  2,661 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
Another extraordinary business fable from the New York Times bestselling author Patrick Lencioni Written in the same dynamic style as his previous bestsellers including The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Lencioni illustrates the principles of inspiring client loyalty through a fascinating business fable. He explains the theory of vulnerability in depth and presents concrete ...more
Published December 30th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published February 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Naked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Naked

Michael
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Getting Naked" is a metaphor advanced in a new book by the prolific and insightful Patrick Lencioni, about how to build a culture of client service excellence by helping people shed their fears, baggage, and ego in any business for which dealing with clients is a driver of success.

The book, which takes the form of an accessible if sometimes contrived first-person story, focuses on the fears that effect all of us in client service-oriented business:

- Fear of losing the business, which often caus
Tim
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not much new here. Once again a fable to fill enough pages to sell a book. If you are a busy business person, just read the last 20 pages
Ashlee
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Just finished Getting Naked. Ha! I definitely learned some new ways to approach my business. It is a very fast read. Resist operating from a fear of losing business, feeling inferior, or being embarrassed and instead just serve and give to the client.

To Get Naked in Business:
Always Consult instead of Sell - (Don't be afraid of losing the business.)
Give Away the Business - (Just serve and give people what they need!)
Tell the Kind Truth - (Give the direct truth in a helpful and kind way.)
Enter the
Julie
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Our agency has recently moved to an Account Management/Project Management model for account service. Instead of tiers within the account service structure - we now have people who focus on the business needs partnered with those focused on the operational work needed to produce outstanding marketing materials for our client.

In an effort to develop a stronger account management culture here, we're reading a few books to help us grow in this regard. This is the latest one and, so far, the best. F
Margot Note
Read this afternoon, feeling as though I was playing hooky from my "real" consulting work, but it was just what I needed to read as a consultant and business owner. (Between readings, I pitched the first phase of a potentially long-term project with a client I'm delighted to work with--so there's that!)

The Three Fears:
#1: Fear of losing the business
#2: Fear of being embarrassed
#3: Fear of feeling inferior

The principles of naked service:
Always consult instead of sell
Give away the business
Tell the
Ryan Huff
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This was a well written and easy to consume book. A refreshing narrative for a self-help / sales book.
Chad Warner
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants
Recommended to Chad by: Michael Zywicki, Sara Dunn
This book tells how consultants can forge better client relationships by being vulnerable. Vulnerable, or “naked,” service is characterized by uncommon levels of humility, selflessness, and transparency for the clients’ good. It tells how to be more like team members than vendors. The result is work that’s more enjoyable, profitable, and rewarding.

It explains three fears that hold consultants back, and how to overcome these fears. Written as a fable, it’s short, but still longer than necessary.

I
Tommy Kiedis
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
In typical and enjoyable fashion, Patrick Lencioni spins another leadership fable with keen insights for leaders and the organizational cultures they seek to build. Pat's business fable about Jack Bauer is my favorite. It's a great story that teaches and illustrates the importance of vulnerability while thoroughly entertaining via a believable page-turner. This book is personal in that Lencioni shares his background, including the reason behind the birth of The Table Group.
Peter Krol
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Lencioni has a way of taking very simple principles and applying them to business situations in a profound way. Although he writes secular business books, Lencioni gives glory to God the Father through Jesus Christ in his acknowledgments. I don't always agree with everything, but I am amazed by what the application of a few biblical principles can do when one takes Paul seriously and gives "glory to God" in "whatever" he does.

In this case, Lencioni proposes a method of consulting that he calls "
Eugene
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Liza Fireman
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
In general, I really appreciate Patrick Lencioni's books, but this is not one of them. It is not that interesting, doesn't give insights or approaches that are different from his other books, and not that well written. In addition, I can't stand the fact that Lencioni is pushing religion and its calming affect in some of his books, it doesn't make me feel comfortable, and it is 100% not inclusive.
Skip this, read The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable instead.
Ryan Briones
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for people in service-oriented work. (I myself am a software consultant) The format, fictional story/object lesson, is the perfect delivery system for this content as well.

If you liked this book, I highly suggest you read Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box. Similar format and equally good information for folks in service-oriented work.
Kiessa
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a business colleague whom I admire very much. He embodies the principles of the book, and if you have read the book you will recognize how special that is. That said, this book challenges human beings to bring their authenticity and vulnerability to their work, enhancing professional relationships and business transactions. While perhaps not the most revolutionary of ideas, the application of the concept seems to be rare. I couldn't put this book down, and I ca ...more
Natali
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
First off, I didn't realize this was a fable until I was done with it. Felt dumb about that. But it almost didn't matter because this book was written as an engaging story with a valuable lesson. It feels more like a novel than a business lesson.

This may not be groundbreaking stuff in the realm of personal empowerment but I think it is in the stuffy corporate world. It is a refreshing take on how to be a human being in business and not just a suit. I liked it.
Randy Fox
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Done as a narrative tale, listening to this book was really excellent and revelatory. Essentially it tells us to throw out sales scripts and manipulative technique and simply to be ourselves. Should be simple but most of us are trained to perform instead of to just be.
Andres
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disfruté mucho este libro, la historia te atrapa en seguida y de manera sutil te va mostrando las ventajas de la filosofía "vulnerability/getting naked". Las conclusiones al final del libro son muy valiosas.
Mark Wiltshire
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic view on how to sell without selling, how to approach new clients, and how to build fantastic clients that appreciate and value your services.
Omar U
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Decent read, not as universal as Lencioni's other books. If you're in consulting then it's definitely a must read.
Michael Harden
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the author (we worked together at Oracle) and his series of business fables (I have everyone one of his business novels). My first introduction to Getting Naked (and perhaps my favorite) was Five Dysfunctions of a Team, and I was hooked on the engaging style of the Fable. With the first major division of the book relating to a fabricated (but true to life) "story/fable" about a particular institutional or leadership truth, the reader is drawn into the drama and begins to relat ...more
Paweł Kołkowski
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sales
1. Fear of loosing the business - no one like to loose client. We must be more interested in helping our client than to maintaining revenue source. Client can smell fear and are repealed by it - like on a date (honest vs desparate guy).
1. Alway serve not sell
2. Giveaway the business - giving advice and service before fee and give up short-term revenue increase for long-term relationship - be more interested in service than in charging client.
3. Tell the kind truth - confront the client with
Eric
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"What clients want more than anything is to know that we're more interested in helping them than we are in maintaining our revenue source. And when we do something, or fail to do something, in order to protect our business, they eventuially lose respect for us and understandably question whether they should trust us."

I finished Getting Naked: A Business Fable About Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty by Patrick Lencioni. 240 pages, book #18 of 182 (WOO 10% DONE), finished 2/4/2
Preethi
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lencioni talks about the opportunities service providers can self-create to build stronger relationships with their clients by moving away from traditional sales practices. Providers who focus on consciously employing strategies that increase their EQ and interpersonal skills as opposed to focusing on the end goal of revenue generation and self preservation, they have a better chance of clients appreciating their work, referencing them to their friends, and building lasting relationships. It fel ...more
Glenn Burnside
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was a little simplistic but the model resonates with me. It’s a strong follow on to 5 dysfunctions.

The thing I wonder is, “why don’t more firms do this?” And “can this work when you don’t have access to the executives in an organization” - like when you’re being brought in by a mode level director inside of an IT organization who themselves are a service provider and who don’t share this “naked consulting” mindset?
Katie
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed learning about the key principals of client-focused service through this book. The author gave apropos examples of 12 service methodologies through the presentation of a story that compared and contrasted two culturally-different consulting firms, which made understanding and applying the material so effective.
Doug Wells
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am decidedly not a fan of most business "how to" books. Since my work "asked" a group of us to read this, who am I to argue? In the end, I quite enjoyed it. Much more approachable than most in this genre, and much less blah, blah, blah. As someone who spends my days consulting, I picked up some great nuggets.
James
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-business
Quick read, which is nice for non-fiction. The story illustrating the main take-aways (being 'vulnerable' in front of your client) is a bit cheesy, but not horrible. Overall, helpful information for professional service/client facing roles.
Muhammad Ali
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well thought out fable, as you read it, you will get to know the hidden meaning / key lessons to take away. I guess the message is it's ok to be vulnerable sometimes. What's not right is to have the deception of being perfect and the best there could be.
Thomas Brooks
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At times, leaders assume that we need to have all the answers and that everyone else is doing something wrong. This book was a great example of how we need to be open to different ways of doing business and thinking to truly succeed as an organization. Great easy read!
Cara
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leocini's books are just great reminders on the way business really happens...and aspirational ways to get there. Vulnerability is under appreciated as a leadership tool and this book shares why plus how to incorporate being vulnerable into your leadership toolkit.
Taylor Ortiz
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

This book grabbed on and never let go. I couldn't put it down. It was an excellent depiction of how to be vulnerable in a client setting and key tools to implement when working with a client, especially someone new to consulting.
Slalom - San Fran...: Trying to make this specific to a book 1 1 Dec 30, 2012 05:07PM
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • What I Didn't Learn in Business School: How Strategy Works in the Real World
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni
“What clients want more than anything is to know that we’re more interested in helping them than we are in maintaining our revenue source.” 2 likes
“Ask dumb questions.” 1 likes