Start by marking “The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3: The Crab With the Golden Claws / The Shooting Star / The Secret of the Unicorn” as Want to Read:

The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3: The Crab With the Golden Claws / The Shooting Star / The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin #9, 10, 11)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  1,726 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Three classic graphic novels in one deluxe hardcover edition: The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Shooting Star, and The Secret of the Unicorn.
Published May 2nd 1994 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published June 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 3

May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, children-ya
These are among the most charming and delightful comics ever made. Each story balances genuine suspense with perfectly-executed slapstick comedy and an overwhelming sense of comfort and fun. "The Secret of the Unicorn" is particularly wonderful. The comedic escalations that ensue when Tintin tries to escape from the gun-toting antiques dealers (!) had me grinning from ear to ear. Conscientious parents will want to talk to their kids about the racist depictions of Arabs and Jews, and probably Her ...more
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, translation
I think the third volume of Tintin is when stories start getting better and more recognizable. Mainly because of Captain Haddock. Not only is he maybe the third most important character to the series, he is also one of the better developed characters. He's kid of a flawed hero where he always needs a drink to give him confidence. Without Tintin, I don't think Haddock would do very well alone.

This volume ends with a cliffhanger too. Tintin's stories are simple to follow, but now that Haddock is i
Tommy Baker
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This volume has the two stories that make up the bulk of Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin, but the real special bit is The Shooting Star with it's island of bizarre exploding mushrooms.
Snowy is especially funny in The Crab With the Golden Claws which also has some beautiful full-page illustrations.
Noelle Maryam
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tintin the reporter goes on adventures with his friend Captain Haddock and his dog Snowy. In this volume the adventures take place in the desert, and an island and the sea.
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I really liked this volume of Tintin as it brought in one of my favourite characters, Captain Haddock. There were also some good moments with Snowy. The adventures were good and it was all a lot of fun, now to watch the episodes of the animated TV show dealing with the stories in this volume! Those are quite faithful adaptations.
Rishika S.
I spent the last couple of months reading through a few volumes of Tintin (Volumes 3 to 6). Since I didn’t have a lot of specific things to say for each one, I thought I’d share this summarised post/review. Here are the books in order of preference:

Volume 5 which contains Red Rackham’s Treasure, The Seven Crystal Balls, and Prisoners of the Sun – 4 out of 5 stars
Volume 6 which contains Land of Black Gold, Destination Moon, and Explorers on the Moon – 3.5 out of 5 stars
Volume 4 which contains The
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: my much younger self
I've very very slowly been re-reading Tintin for the past 10 years or so. At last with this volume it feels like the Tintin I remember from my childhood. Captain Haddock has been introduced, the plots feel inventive and surprising, and there's a good mix of slapstick and more sophisticated humour.

I dare say there's a thesis of some kind to be had from the (obvious?) observation that Tintin and Captain Haddock each represent aspects of the mind that can't really exist healthily on their own: Tin
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Tintin stories for anyone who has read them and understands their history can't be viewed as anything other than groundbreaking. The beginnings of these stories have been around as long as the Lord of the Rings, the illustration and environments in the Tintin books are accurate and extremely detailed. Anyone who has spent even a little time exploring Herge (Georges Remi) can see the painstaking research and adversity he worked through to compose the world around Tintin. His ideas were ahead ...more
Jon M
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Follow Tintin and his loyal companion, dog, snowy, as they travel to all sorts of new places!

Meet Captain Haddock, Captain of the ship: The Karaboudjan. And meet Alan, the first mate, who has kept the captain drunk and unable to take charge of the ship, while they secretly smuggled drugs, cleverly hidden inside crab tins, in the ship, where no one would find them (the captain is too busy to go anywhere, held captive in his cabin, drunk, unaware of anything that is going on). And when they captur
Patrick Nguyen
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It seems that everywhere Tin-Tin goes, there's always a problem. But there's always a solution to it, which is good. In this volume, Tin-Tin has found an small old antique ship that could cost millions! Just right after the cashier sold the antique to him, two crazy men come barging at Tin-Tin beggin them to sell the ship to them. But he declines saying that it is for his old friend. When Tin-Tin gets back to the Captains place, he shows him it. The Captain said that it was the exact same ship o ...more
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Adventures of Tintin just keep getting better. I especially liked The Shooting Star in this volume. A meteor hits the Earth and the race is on to find where it hit, so as to extract any precious elements the rock might contain. Tintin gets recruited by the scientists, who wish to examine the meteor to further humankind's knowledge, which pits him against the barons of industry who would only wish to turn a profit from its discovery. A really fun story.

The Secret of the Unicorn is the basis f
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 3, Books 7-9.

"The Crab with the Golden Claws": Tintin is abducted by opium smugglers, meets Capt. Haddock, and goes on a wild desert adventure. The plane crash in the desert and rescue by Legionares appears in the movie, "The Adventures of Tintin".

"The Shooting Star": A meteor crash sends Tintin and friends on a race to the Arctic to claim a new metal.

"The Secret of the Unicorn": Tintin finds part of a treasure map in a model ship. Its theft leads him on a hunt to retrieve it and the miss
Caleb Walsh
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(When you are sick, all you can do is read Tintin)

So yeah, this is Volume 3 of the Tintin comics.

'The Crab with the Golden Claws' - When someone says "Tintin," this is the book that comes to mind. It's iconic on so many levels, Haddock's first appearance being the main thing. It's also what the 2011 film is partially based on.

'The Shooting Star' - An entertaining, science-y chase story. It's a bit randomly placed in the series, but it's a fun, straightforward ride.

'The Secret of the Unicorn' - (
Abby Tamkin
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this set of three books we meet Captain Haddock, a fun character who becomes a regular in the rest of the Tintin stories.
The Shooting Star is a fun story, though very different from the rest of the series.
In The Secret of the Unicorn, we start the treasure hunt that is completed in Red Rackham's treasure. The re-enactment of the fight between Sir Francis Haddock and Red Rackham is a highlight of the series for me.
One big thing I noticed from reading these all in short succession is how much
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The main ding against volume 3 is that it introduces Captain Haddock, who goes on to take over the role of comic relief from Thompson and Thomson and to pretty much overwhelm the storylines as they go on. Tintin becomes less of a quick-thinking, daredevil reporter out on awesome adventures and gradually becomes mostly the straight man for Haddock's drunken screw-ups.

My personal bias aside, I can't deny that The Secret of The Unicorn and its sequel, Red Rackham's Treasure (in the next volume) are
i still love the clean art & the straight-ahead adventure stories in tintin books. things i don't like: almost complete lack of female characters, and problematic portrayals of alcoholism and non-white races. a question to others: how much of a pass do you give a work like this that was written in a different era? i suppose it might depend on the context... even though i enjoyed these when i was young, and enjoyed re-reading these as an adult, i don't know if i'd feel comfortable recommendin ...more
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Things really start kicking into gear over here. Although I was disappointed by "Crab with the Golden Claws" (which is like a remake of "Cigars of the Pharaoh"), "The Shooting Star" was a pleasant surprise and things really kicked into gear with "The Secret of the Unicorn." Hergé was one of the best cartoonists of all time, and watching his skills grow and develop has been an additional treat of these books. (Though yes, they're all the redrawn color versions, but the storytelling in them contin ...more
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Tintin manages once again to be the only person to come across the relevant events and information by chance that sets him on his next random adventure. Leaving aside the believability of such random happenstance, the stories have definitely improved. There's still a lot to be desired in these volume. Especially as the final story pretty much leads right into a direct sequel in the next volume. Considering that many of the stories are not really tied together, it makes things seem rather odd to ...more
Aaron Kaase
Volume 3 of 7 volume series, each of these contain three Tintin books. I like these books because they're compact and don't take a lot of shelf space. The printing quality is very good: rich color ink on nice, smooth paper. The only complaint I have is with the physical dimensions of the books, which are 45% smaller than the traditional albums. That said, they are no substitute for the original albums if you are a serious Tintin fan or collector, as I am.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I didn't read Tintin as a child, so I used the recent movie to get to know Tintin a bit. I enjoyed reading the stories, but wasn't completely swept up into Tintin's world. Although I do love Captain Haddock, quite a lot. I'm sure all the hard drinking sailor jokes would not have registered with me when I was a kid. These books are quite a small format, not the original large format the books were designed for- they do suffer for it, which is a shame.
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
This volume contains three of the weaker Tintin stories, most notable of which is The Shooting Star, which is quite frankly pretty silly. Although Captain Haddock first joins the party in The Crab with the Golden Claws, there is little else to recommend these stories over some of the really classic Tintin adventures, such as Tintin in Tibet or Land of Black Gold. In many ways, the present volume is appropriate for Tintin completists only.
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Probably my favourite set of the Tin Tin comics as this is the introduction to Captain Haddock, the best drunk ever. I have always adored "The Shooting Star" just because I adore Tin Tin's reaction to the end results, but "The Secret of the Unicorn" has the origins of Haddock's family and the drunkin' fight scene. Tough call here! :)
Kevin Magpoc
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm partial to the kind of comic book that has plenty of action and adventure but still takes the time to give us a dash of slapstick and verbal jokes. This set, in particular, makes me wish I knew someone who could rattle off such a varying and unusual array of insults as Captain Haddock can dish out!
I quite look forward to reading the rest.
Rosette Adel
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review is for The Crab with the Golden Claws.

Tintin played Sherlock with his friends Snowy, Thomson and Thompson plus Captain Haddock. They even reached Sahara by doing so. Fun to read, and the twins are humorous as ever.
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Captain Haddock appears which would have made it 5 stars, but Tintin chasing a meteorite was so off from everything before it (even chasing Al Capone in Chicago and running into Native Americans right outside the city) that it drags down this collection.
Elaine Lortz
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: judah-s-reads
Judah sat down and read this one as soon as we brought it home from the library - and finished it before lunch.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
More and more enamored of these adventure tales. Clean artwork, stories that are true to the era they depict, and the hero is always the hero.
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Again, entertaining adventure comics, but racist artist/writer.
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Horrible edition. Just because the text and images are still clear when you shrink them, doesn't mean it still works as well.
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I really liked "The Shooting Star" out of three stories in this collection. Overall, however, I didn't like these stories as much as some of the later ones.
  • Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2: Death of a Dream
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath
  • Tintin: Complete Companion
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 2: I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League
  • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge
  • Batman: Arkham Reborn
  • The All-New Atom, Vol. 1: My Life in Miniature
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys