Start by marking “The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire, #1)

The Last Vampire

(The Last Vampire #1)

Sita is five thousand years old and believes she is the last vampire. When someone begins hunting her, she thinks it is the client of a detective she killed. She enrolls in high school and befriends the detective’s son, and later falls in love with him.

Meanwhile, Sita’s creator Yaksha has been following her, believing he must kill her to atone for his sins. Sita thought sh
Published May 1st 1994 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Last Vampire, please sign up.
Jingxuan Lim it follows the story of Sita, who has been a vampire for 5000 years. she's the last vampire and along the way, she encounters many old and powerful…moreit follows the story of Sita, who has been a vampire for 5000 years. she's the last vampire and along the way, she encounters many old and powerful enemies who wants to take her blood (to either make more vampires or use them for their own advantage). sita is very powerful and skilled. we get to know her backstory, her thousand love lives. also, despite being immortal, sita has a very human side about her, which i love. i am not religious, but the religious aspect of this book (especially her encounter with krishna, the hindu god) has a profound effect on me. if you're looking for a good read, this is it. (it also has 5 other books so you won't worry about finishing too fast!)(less)

Magdalen
Apr 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fasten your seatbelts ‘cause I’m going to give this book the review it deserves. Probably a shady one. I don’t know what to say first, I usually start by saying the good aspects of a book but in this one there is none. Sorry fans.

not sorry

The protagonist is Alisa a 5.000 year old vampire who is extremely beautiful and unique, which is something she constantly reminds the reader. We get it sunshine you are a special snowflake in a world full of flames. WE GET IT.

She is the most annoying and arrogant char
Jamie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I first read this book several years ago. When I first read I was not aware it was actually a series. However I more recently came across them in a sale. Re-reading the book was great. I still really enjoyed it. Sita/Alisa is a great character who is easily like-able. This series dismisses a lot of the standard vampire threats and concepts. Such as crosses, coffins and burning in the sun. Sita acts and fits in as a 'normal' high school girl in this first book. She draws close to one of the stude
Ashley
I completely adored this series when I was younger. Even looking back, I feel that it hit upon some of the classic elements of vampire literature that I love so much--the origin of the Vampire, and the origins of the main character (also a vampire). Sita is a wonderful heroine--hardcore on account of her age and experience, but she hasn't let that turn her emotionally cold. The cast is just as wonderful, and I remember crying so much when I read the final book, partly because of the events and p ...more
Jessica
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Twilight fans, people who read it over ten years ago
Nicole
The Last Vampire

This is one of the worst 'vampire YA' i've read so far.
The main character - a 5000year old vampgirl - is arrogant and was bragging about her special abilities all the time. Ray - (view spoiler) - became her one true (second) love of all time, instant love warning. They barely knew each other (just days!). The plot was boring. The old dangerous vampire not interesting and the main characters felt like minor ch
Latasha
Sita sure is full of herself and likes to brag a lot. I like coming at the vampire mythology from India. This book is what sparked my interest in (beautiful) Hinduism back in the day. The story is ok. About as good as you can expect from YA of this era.
innae
Jul 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: vampire, teen
I couldn't finish it, it was so freakin' dumb. Yes, I realize it is written for teens, but give them some credit, they still want something well written without blatant inaccuracies --- Inaccurate you say, it is a vampire novel, and last time I checked they don't exist -- well, near the beginning, Mr. Pike has his main character (who is SOOOO very annoying) say she has read Dracula, has even met Mr. Stoker -- but he had it wrong, because the sunlight is not her mortal enemy ---- READ THE BOOK!!! ...more
Samantha
I wish I could remember who recommended this book to me so I could smack them upside the head! What an atrocious, awful book!
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I’m doing a buddy re-read of this series with Roberta from Offbeat YA, the only other diehard Christopher Pike fan that I know, and it’s every bit as fun as expected. I have difficulty overcoming my Pike bias at the best of times, but there’s no chance of it in this case. The Last Vampire series was one of my first forays into horror and paranormal, and I don’t think I’ll ever really get over some of the first books I loved. (Note: The first three novels in this series have been republished and ...more
Eric Rittenhouse
i LOVED this book when I was younger, and to this day I pick it up for a quick fun read. It wasnt until I was older did I appreciate all of the Hindu influence and relationship between Sita and Krishna. When Twilight became huge, I distanced myself from it because of its similar tones. I did see the movie of Twilight and the whole time thinking... Why wasn't "The Last Vampire" ever made into a movie series??? It has much more passion and the story has about 800 times more "meat" (from what I hav ...more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes vampires
Shelves: favorites
I ended up finding this book in my school library as a child, and liking vampire novels the way I did, I decided to read it.

I was a little surprised, it was awfully violent during some parts, and for some reason had a slight science fiction feel to me.

I liked the book even though it seemed like a little bit of a rough start to a series (as most people don't tend to like Sita/Alisa as a main character due to her self-absorbedness).
Meera
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading The Last Vampire, I felt that it had a lot of potential. Alisa AKA Sita was a very powerful, witty and selfish character which actually made me excited about the book.
Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectation. I felt that the storyline and the plot lacked a lot; everything was rushed; not to mention the silly love between Sita and Ray. They instantly fell in love and would die for each other, and what? They have only known each other for 5 minutes? *roll eyes*.
I
Barakiel
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Indian mysticism
Shelves: vampires
Pros:
Can't really think of any.

Cons:
1. The writing. It was cold and clipped and weird... Which is okay for the narrator, who is a very old vampire. It makes sense for her to have a strange "voice". Unfortunately that is not all it is: When we get to the American teenage dialogue, they sound exactly the same. They all have the same voice. They all speak in complete sentences, with complete words. There are no colloquialisms that I know of.
Example: I scratch on his window with my hard nails and gi
Rachel
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in an actually good vampire story
my all time favorite series of books. i don't care what you think. i am in love with the main character, and her interactions with Krishna inspired a lot of the thoughts i went on to have about life and spirituality. i have 'maya' tattooed on my wrist.
these books began my life long infatuation with vampires, and NOTHING created since then has come even close! No movie, no book, no tv show, nothing. THIS is how a vampire story should be. honestly, i read ann rice after this, and was sorely disap
Sara Hemenway
3.5 stars for enjoyment factor.

Nothing hugely groundbreaking here, but it probably was 20 years ago! Now vampires are a common literary staple. Writing was ok, and the story was entertaining. It's book popcorn: tastes good, eaten before you know it, but not really that filling.

I would be a little displeased about the cliffhanger if I didn't have the other books. :)
Lindsey
This was a fun summer read for me. Strong female vampire and I really like her storied history. Also, I kept thinking, "This is the way vampires should be!".

Easy reading, fun, and kept me entertained.
Maham
Extremely biased. Read it when I was a kid and enjoyed it a lot. If I read it again, I'd probably not like it as much, but eh whatever. It was tons of fun.
C.E. Case
Quite the Mary Sue vampire chick. All powerful, all knowing, extremely rich, extremely gorgeous (in a feminine 1994 way that's cringey by today's standards). And yet, Christopher Pike is a compelling writer. The Krishna/Rama origin story is intriguing. It's a fast, short read, which helps. The love story is dumb, but maybe more convincing when I was 15. A nice break between more heavy reading. Like M&Ms.
Donna
Love it! It'd been so long since I've read this book that, for the most part, it was like I was reading it for the first time all over again. Sure, some things were vaguely familiar but in a sense like trying to remember if something was real or just a dream. But it was fantastic whatever it was.

It doesn't read like a traditional YA book because you're being the eyes of a 5,000 year old vampire and it shows. She doesn't think like a teen, she doesn't act like a teen. She acts exactly how you'd t
Leeanna
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Vampire #1, by Christopher Pike

With the recent popularity of young adult series such as Twilight, Vampire Academy, and The House of Night, some older vampire series are being republished. One such series is The Last Vampire, by Christopher Pike, first published in 1994.

"The Last Vampire" kicks off a six book series about Sita, who is the last vampire left on earth. Reborn more than five thousand years ago, she has mostly stayed out of the spotlight, content to observe events and live h
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I loved the narrator's voice. Reading it, you can feel that Alisa/Sita is not human. Ancient. She spoke like a Vulcan, except that she still had the passion of a human, and power far beyond what we know.

When I started reading this, I thought it was going to be "another vampire book". But it was different than what I was used to. After finishing it, I looked at when this book was published. 1994. This book predates any vampire book I've ever read (except Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course), and as
Celeste
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this series as a teen and loved it. Recently I saw these lying about and decided to give them a re read because I couldn't remember if I finished them or not.

So apart from being pretty much the same as I remember and for someone with shitty memory like mine, I realized this wasn't all that. I mean it was great and nostalgic and I love that this involves Hindu mythology and Indians(Even if Sita isn't brown). She's ruthless and pragmatic and fearless.

But she's also next to perfect and
Turkan Taskin
This book just didn't hook me in, despite my love for vampire novels. For a start, i disliked the protagonist because she reminded me of Elena from the Vampire Diaries. She hardly has any modesty (and she was too bloodthirsty for my liking). Plus, the more you read, the more tedious it got for me. In the book it clearly says she doesn't wear makeup but you can see that she clearly does wear makeup in the front cover (not this one, but the one that she has bright blue eyes and blonde/ brown h ...more
Lilienknochen
The last Vampire.
So, I finished my first bokk by Pike. Does it deserve 5 stars? No, it doesn't. It's trashy. Then why do I give it 5 stars? Because it's the kind of trash that I love and makes me wanna read more. There you have it. Now I need the other parts in this series.
Kitty
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Argh, this book makes me want to take my head in my hands and weep from the massive head ache it causes. I'm giving three stars for the sake of my 13 year old self who is crying out at ear splitting levels about how much she loved this book and another star for a unique premise and I'm leaving that last star empty - as empty as Pike's writing skills and as hollow as his characters. Oh, and now that you've read that horrid, discouraging little line let me tell you how much you should read this bo ...more
Mandy
Decided to do a re-read of one of my favorite teen novels The Last Vampire. Alisa is a five thousand year old vampire currently living in Oregon. She has been called into a meeting with a private detective who’s been watching her only to find out that he’s been hired to find her. However she kills him before learning anything other than a name who hired him. The only thing she can do is dispose of the body and clean the office hopefully she can get his son to let her in.

Thanks to being super ric
Carina
This was the first Vampire novel I ever read, swiftly followed by the Nightworld vampires and then Dracula.... Considering the way vampire novels are at the moment (where the vampires are sex incarnate) and how I dislike that type of novel I'm surprised by how much I still like this book. I'm presuming a large part of that is due to my fond memories of reading this in the school library or how hard it was for the little local bookshop to source copies for me.

Alisa/Sita is very much the modern va
Sabrina
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very first book that got me into vampires back as a young adolescent, even though I probably shouldn't have been reading Pike at such an early age! And I'm definitely not talking fluffy, sparkly, "vegetarian" vampires either... I'm talking about bad ass powerful vampires that think of nothing of spreading bloodshed IF need be. Sita is a wonderfully strong character, although--as cliche as this may be--her only flaw is that she cares too much, despite alternating between loving and hating hum ...more
Lou
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, fast-paced novel with lots of action. When I read it, I felt as though I was reading the novelization to a film (and this wouldn't be so shabby to see on the big screen). Whereas some of Pike's earlier books drag the plot out, this one is straight to the point and we get blood right off in the first chapter. Sita's coldness is a nice change to the typical anti-hero, who usually ends up having some compassion in the end, cliche much? She's a 5,000 year old vampire, I'm sure most of ...more
Mikella Etchegoyen
Another Vampire series that I started. I have the first two Thirst volumes that contain the first six books in the series. I’ve read one of the six and I’m a good way into the second. I’m kind of on the fence about the series so far. I kind of like the storyline and the characters—the origin story of the vampire is interesting and a bit different than the conventional vampire stories. But there are some things about the writing that kind of pull me out of the story.

The series is about a 5000 yea

• Soulmate (Night World, #6)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Goodnight Kiss (Goodnight Kiss, #1: Fear Street Super Chiller, #3)
  • The Mall
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm

The Last Vampire (6 books)
  • Black Blood (The Last Vampire, #2)
  • Red Dice (The Last Vampire, #3)
  • Phantom (The Last Vampire, #4)
  • Evil Thirst (The Last Vampire, #5)
  • Creatures of Forever (The Last Vampire, #6)
“Death never comes at the right time, despite what mortals believe. Death always comes like a thief.” 292 likes
“Before I begin, may I ask how old you are?"
"You may ask."
"How old are you?"
"It's none of your business”
268 likes