Start by marking “Unlovable, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Unlovable, Vol. 2

Unlovable, Vol. 2

(Unlovable #2)

Loosely based on a teenager’s diary from the 1980s found in a gas-station bathroom, Unlovable is the remarkable story of Tammy Pierce, as filtered through the pen of Los Angeles artist Esther Pearl Watson. This second and concluding volume picks up where the first volume left off (winter break) and finishes Tammy’s tragicomic sophomore year of high school in 1985.

Tammy ha

Published March 16th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unlovable, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlovable, Vol. 2

Peter Monn
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first! I’ll post a full review on my booktube channel once I finish all three books! http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Callie
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now facing an overwhelming desire to listen to The Smiths for three straight days.
Anna
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Starting with volume 2 because my library system tragically does not carry volume 1. I picked this up after coming across some comics from this series in The Best American Comics 2015. Despite that anthology being a shit show, the Tammy Pierce comics caught my attention. Really glad I finally picked up one of the author's comics. God I relate a lot to the main character, and I wish I didn't because the secondhand embarrassment is almost unbearable. But year, it's painfully accurate about being a ...more
P.
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, series, yyay
Definitely a Napoleon Dynamite precursor but more endearing. There's a joy about Tammy that can't quite be masked by her teenage judgment against those people she thinks can't help her be cool. Which is why her reading of Kenny Yang bothered me but made sense for her character.

Vol. II gets deeper with social interactions and develops Tammy's sense of self a little more. I think she's becoming independent without knowing it. Or maybe that's wishful thinking.
Jessica
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lynda Barry fans, people looking for high school schaudenfreude
Shelves: comics, humor
Tammy's growing on me and things seem to be going better for her lately. I felt like this book was a less dire than the first one. The doomed obsession with Ken Edward Olsen remains the most poignant thread. If K.E.O. sees something in Tammy (as a friend, of course), there must be hope for her yet.
Kate
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second volume of the adventures of Tammy, an awkward 80's teen, who's trying figure things out for herself.

This series charms me for several reasons. I thoroughly enjoy the garish drawings mixed with Tammy's personality. She seems like actually a really nice, yet clueless, but also lazy kid. Her friends are total burnouts and Tammy sometimes break dances. Her brother Willis is a jerk and their sibiling altercations are hilarious in a way that really captures the teen in the 80's.
David Schaafsma
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a second collection of a series of comics done by Watson that are still being featured on the back cover of Bust, and are supposedly based on a 1980's diary found in a gas station bathroom. I don't know why the claimed origin seems suspicious to me, but the story and world feels unfailingly real, painfully humiliating at times in its depiction of small town 80's high school life, where Tammy is fat, unattractive, taken advantage of by her peers, tormented by her little brother, and Boy C ...more
Alexo
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I found this book difficult to read, and alternately felt like grimacing / yawning most of the way through. The protagonist is completely unsympathetic; nothing more than a grotesque caricature. I'm not sure what type of reaction the book is aiming to elicit; cringing empathy (difficult considering the other-worldly hideousness of the protagonist) or mean-girl mockery (redundant - the book has already done it). Perhaps I'm just not the correct audience.
Gen
I recommend this book to everyone. I haven't laughed out loud for funniness for ages. Tammy's exploits are so cute, unaware and hilarious. This book deserves 5 stars because it impels obsession. Tammy may have lost her diary but it was a good cause and everyone should at least read it and enjoy her flourishing personality despite the odds. Well, aside from those dreaded mushrooms...
Kirby
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Ok this volume was even grosser and more achingly uncomfortable than the first, but there's something weirdly enchanting about Tammy that makes me keep reading these! I love how she is simultaneously so self-conscious and totally lacking in self-awareness.
Suzanne
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
If you went to high school in the 1980s this may be the graphic novel for you. I read both volumes and relived much of the 1980s and teen drama. The author/ artist found a diary in a gas station bathroom and decided to illustrate it. So crazy.
Emily
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm so grossed out by poor Tammie Pierce's diary, but love her so! I'm sure if I dug out my old Snoopy diary, I'd find stuff almost as embarrassing (although I never kept a visual record of my farts!)
Too good!
Dustincecil
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
will Tammy Pierce every catch a break!?!
Amanda
Jul 26, 2010 added it
Heeeeeelarious.
Allie
A favorite quote:
Thrown-down dance off -- I battled Cassie Smallwood and lost. The truth is that people can be both hateful-hoe-bags and good dancers.
Karina
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Silly with funny artwork, but that's about it.
Rand Renfrow
Feb 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Unlovable (3 books)
  • Unlovable
  • Unlovable Vol. 3 (Vol. 3)  (Unloveable)