Start by marking “Penny Century (Locas, #4)” as Want to Read:
Penny Century (Locas, #4)

Penny Century (Love and Rockets)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  438 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Picking up right after Perla La Loca, the third volume of the definitive Maggie series repackaging, this compilation of stories from Jaime Hernandez s solo comic Penny Century and his subsequent return to Love and Rockets(Volume II) charts the further lives of his beloved Locas. But first... wrestling Penny Century starts off with a blast with Whoa, Nellie , a unique graph ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Penny Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny Century

Jeff Jackson
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lighter and larkier fare here: The world of female wrestling, punk flashbacks, Maggie and Izzy as kids, some moody pieces narrated by Ray D, and lots about Penny Century whose story is mostly told in brief episodes. Since this was published during the years Love & Rockets was on hiatus, I'm tempted to label it transitional - but really it's all part of the grand story Jaime is telling.
Kathy
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
In some ways I did not like it as well as LOVE & ROCKETS, VOL. 1, (there were no Ti-Girls!), but in other ways I enjoyed it every bit as much. I was a little confused about some of the characters, and their relationships; I couldn't always immediately tell who some of the people were. But several of the stories were really good (I liked the WWFW story) and I laughed out loud several times. Any piece of art, book, movie, comic, whatever, that makes me do that gets votes from me.
After I was do
Kristoffer
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
At the risk of sounding like a hipster, "I like the earlier stuff better." The Love and Rockets comics written from the nineties onward doesn't have the same magic and dynamic artwork as they did in the eighties.

The Maggie the Mechanic collection (Locas Book One) went in a direction I enjoyed, combining the greatness of Space Race science fiction along with the exotic and bizarre, for how do you really meld female pro-wrestling with girl mechanics, rocket ships, and lesbian culture, without pand
Kristina
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm relatively new to the Love and Rockets world, and with each book I become more engrossed in the characters and the stories. And the art, of course. You can almost hear the crowd roar in Whoa Nellie. And you get goosebumps reading Chiller. Good stuff.
Bryan
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This volume runs a little more to the fun and whacky side of Love and Rockets, with more focus on everyone's favourite bodacious babe, Penny Century, wife of the worlds richest man H.R. Costigan. (As a side note, I really like the Costigan character as he's the only real throwback to the weirdness of Maggie the Mechanic- he has horns like a devil).

I think that Jaime really started to indulge his desires to draw beautiful, naked women. Penny spends much of her time half dressed if not completely
Chris
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantagraphics is compiling "Los Bros" Hernandez's entire catalog, little by little. As someone who came to the seminal underground comic series Love and Rockets very late, I really appreciate these well-put together volumes. Some ("Maggie the Mechanic", "The Girl from Hoppers", "Perla La Loca") contain Jaime Hernandez's "Hoppers" stories, which follow a group of Chicano teenagers who came of age in the '80s Los Angeles punk scene from those tumultuous times all the way up through their present d ...more
Mel
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've become totally obsessed with this series! I bought the next graphic novel yesterday and devoured it in one sitting! This was slightly lighter than the last couple of volumes, there was no prostitution, drugs or gangs. There was wrestling, angstful relationships, flashbacks and more surreality. I loved the Maggie getting divorced storyline, particularly at the end when her friends were all confused as to when she had gotten married! It was nice to see more of Penny and her own brand of madne ...more
Andrew
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first volume of "Locas" that I rate less than 5 stars. The Maggie/Hopey relationship story kinda spins its wheels, and I don't particularly care about Negra or Norma or who gets the Costigan fortune. It feels like Jaime is flailing a little bit as he learns how to write stories about people in their 30's, after he presented their teens and 20's so perfectly. The best stories here are the flashbacks to Izzy's and Maggie's childhoods and to Penny's teenage years. The Izzy/Maggie story in parti ...more
Chris
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
(another find on the new books shelf at the SFPL Western Addition branch) A compilation by brilliant indie comics artist Jaime Hernandez of his long running locas characters from Love and Rockets. I stumbled across his work as a kid and have loved it since. This collection is from the late 90s. I had read maybe half of these, and it was great to spend a few lost hours with his characters again, and the ongoing black and white cinematography of his drawing style. Life in LA, dream sequences, brok ...more
Jenna
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hum, it wasn't bad but it also was rather difficult to keep up with who was who and what period of their lives they were in at the time, as it just keeps on skipping around. And so much of this comic was taken up with wrestling poses that were fun at first, but with that many repetitious pages of one person in a headlock then the other in an armlock, got tedious. I prefered the later stories where we actually get to see more of Maggie and Hopey's relationship, but even that was rife with flashba ...more
Steven
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Penny Century starts off with a blast with “Whoa, Nellie!,” a unique graphic novelette in which Maggie, who has settled in with her pro-wrestler aunt for a while, experiences that wild and woolly world first-hand.

Then it’s back to chills and spills with the old cast of Hopey, Ray Dominguez, and Izzy Ortiz — including Maggie’s romantic dream fantasia “The Race” and the definitive Ray story, “Everybody Loves Me, Baby.”
Mark
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm beginning to find a deeper appreciation for Jaime Hernandez' work on this 30 year-old series. Love and Rockets continues to be one of the most fantastic works of independent comics, blending the surreal, the fantastic, and the dramatic into something that is significantly greater than what most cartoonists are doing today. The fact that he continues to churn out such unique and stirring stories consistently is amazing.
Nadia
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was better than I expected. No library I go to has this book for some reason so I'd always just forgotten it was there.

Chester Square is the apex of L&R for me, and I loved Ghosts of Hoppers but somehow I had expected there to not be much going on in between those stories. Having finally read this I was pleasantly surprised-it's not an epic story but it's a nice bridge between those and Hopey's book as well and I'm glad I read it.
Frank
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not all of Hernandez's stuff is gold. The first half of the book didn't grip me, but the later storylines did. I do dig the way his characters evolve slowly, but I think his stuff is probably best read in small doses. Reading too many pages at one sitting is usually less satisfying.
Matt
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-and-rockets
I'm feeling redundant...but I love these. Unfortunately, I'm now to the end (for now) of the Locas stuff, so I'm off to Beto's Palomar stories. But I do dearly love these characters, and can't wait to visit them again.
Jeffrey
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
"As our dear Mrs. Galindo used to say: Some people like to shop, others like to watch roller derby on channel five. Still, it's all prayer."
Emily
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Most of these stories are in Locas II but they all were worth rereading.
Liz
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nick Nguyen
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cindy
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good. I enjoyed getting to meet the real Penny Century though, as always, I did have a bit of trouble following the plot. Still great.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El universo de los Hernández alcanzando un punto de maduración. Historias sencillas y contundentes que atrapan y no sueltan hasta el final del viaje.
Molly
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sexy characters and good storylines. Not as scandalous as I was anticipating.
Ashley
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This book is beautiful! The artwork in Whoa Nellie is stunning. I'm in love with all of the characters. I hope Jaime Hernandez keeps writing Love and Rockets for the rest of his life.
Alex
Jessica
Jun 28, 2012
Grayson
May 20, 2015
  • Beyond Palomar (Luba and Palomar, #3)
  • The Art of Jaime Hernandez: The Secrets of Life and Death
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • The Fixer and Other Stories
  • Congress of the Animals
  • The Voyeurs
  • RASL, Vol. 2: The Fire of St. George (RASL, #2)
  • Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush
Jaime and his brother Gilbert Hernández often write together under the name "Los Bros Hernandez".
More about Jaime Hernández...

Love and Rockets (1 - 10 of 59 books)
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 1: Music for Mechanics