Start by marking “The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus” as Want to Read:
The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus

The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus

It’s been more than a hundred years since the publication of the first Uncle Remus book, and it was in 1955 that all of the delightful and inimitable tales of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, Brer Bear, and Brer Wolf were gathered together in one volume.
Published May 27th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1880)

katherine drake
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There has been years of political debate about the Uncle Remus stories. But people should stop and look at the joy, care, and respect the writer ultimately had in trying to preserve the oral history and story-telling of the enslaved African-American people during that time. These stories are powerful and beautiful. They deserve a place in America's heart.
Gracielou
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Gracielou by: these stories were family tradition
I cut my teeth on these stories. They were told to me time and again by my Grandmother and a Great Aunt and bedtime was not the same without Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

The patois that Harris writes in is probably not considered politically correct today. But when I read his words I drift back to a childhood filled with people I loved both white and African American, enveloping hugs, fried chicken, hot biscuits and gentle magnolia scented nights.
Pink (Shine)
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
My Mother found this book in a dump during her childhood years a long time ago. I started reading this book. I don't clearly understand OLD ENGLISH here, but I can understand most of it. I have the old vintage cover with black title letters on it.
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read this book for a while because my father always told me stories about Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox when I was younger. The one I remembered the most was the famous Tar-Baby story which was very similar to the version I'd heard (my dad has always been a good storyteller). At first, I was intimidated by the fact that this book is written in the vernacular and I thought it would take me forever to get through. After two stories, however, I was already accustomed to the language and I ...more
Valerie
All tales are Anansi's, but especially these. The formal history of this book (probably at least partly fictional) is that Harris heard the Gullah Trickster tales he renders into more conventional English as a child, and wrote the essentially oral tales up in order to introduce them to a wider audience. Ok, he could have done a more sensitive job by modern standards. But at least he tried.

I haven't read this edition. Regrettably, I don't remember which edition I DID read. The edition I read was
artenica
Yesterday my colleage at work showed me funny video where turtle and rabbit are racing and turtle has won and I REMEMBERED THIS BOOK. How on earth could I forget about Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit? I spent whole summer once reading and rereading those wonderful, smart, funny stories Uncle Remus told to the kid (forgot his name).
And another thing. This year I started finally intoduced myself to Neil Gaiman and I loved so far all his works I read but one became favourite - Ananasi's boys. I'm always
Abram Dorrough
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
For me these are extremely nostalgic tales, as my loving grandfather would often tell me many of these stories and he is now deceased. I prefer my grandfather's renditions of these stories, as my grandfather's vocabulary and voice were more accessible than Joel Chandler Harris's peculiar vernacular.

The story of Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, and the Tar Baby is one of my favorites ever. One learns that one can always finagle himself out of troublesome circumstances, as long as he is witty enough and d
Kathleen
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
my favorite memories of my mamaw were her reading the tales of Br'er Rabbit while we were snuggled in bed. I on one side of her and Sandy on the other side. I can still smell the ponds on her face when I think about it. Lovely times. The stories were engaging and mamaw could imitate the language perfectly because in many ways it was the way she talked. It was just funny and full of adventures of animals that talked. We loved it and begged her to read them over and over.
Colby
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Strewn together in a cabin where class and race is irrelevant, the final image of the old man toting the little boy up the hill like a "hoss" will forever be a haunting reminder of those days. It was quite a reveal and now later, I feel a little guilty for laughing at Brer Rabbit's macabre trickery - stunts I am shocked were imagined in those days. So in one word: authentic.
Literary Chic
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Found a 1921 copy of Joel Chandler Harris' classic at a recent book sale for a quarter. I have had these stories read to me as a child, but I'd never read them for myself. Fun to reminisce, but there's something about having these fables read to you that makes this classic even better....audio book?
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Dec 18, 2016 marked it as i-want-money
This right here is where/how you get your Zappa moment today ::

I'll take a drive to Beverly Hills
Just before dawn
An' knock the little jockeys
Off the rich people's lawn
An' before they get up
I'll be gone, I'll be gone
Before they get up
I'll be knocking the jockeys off the lawn
Down in the dew
Tori Porter
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, my-library
What a crazy book this is to love as an aware adult growing up in this society. My dad read these stories to us when we were traveling as a child. As a lover of all literature and writing, I have stayed completely enamored with the dialect and the stories as I've tried to learn more about them. This book has a place in history, and my life.
James Violand
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and grandparents
Shelves: own
Back before being politically correct was everything, there was a time when Southern yarns were appreciated, no matter who the narrator was. Today, much of this book may appear racists to the emasculated professional humanitarians. I don't care. These tales are priceless and Uncle Remus is beloved. Take that, you easily offended weaklings.
Eric
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
A very enjoyable read. I find the book to be culturally and historically important for helping preserve early African American folk tales as well as the dialect of English spoken by the slave population in the Carolinas and Georgia. I highly recommend it.
Robert Sheppard
FOLKTALES AND FABLES IN WORLD LITERATURE--THE PANCHATANTRA, THE INDIAN AESOP, LA FONTAINE'S FABLES, THE PALI JATAKAS, THE BROTHERS GRIMM, CHARLES PERRAULT'S MOTHER GOOSE, THE CHINESE MONKEY KING, JOEL CHANDLER HARRIS' TAR-BABY & THE AMERINDIAN COYOTE AND TRICKSTER TALES ----FROM THE WORLD LITERATURE FORUM RECOMMENDED CLASSICS AND MASTERPIECES SERIES VIA GOODREADS—-ROBERT SHEPPARD, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Folk tales, folk song, folk legend and and folk lore have been with us since time immemorial and
Christopher
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librivox
I listened to this as a Librivox audio-book, read dramatically by a gentleman from S Carolina.
That version doesn't seem to be in GoodReads, but there were several Remus books by JC Harris, so I do assume that the version I heard was the first novel, 20 chapters in length. The final chapter wasn't a tale but actually a collection of Southern Proverbs, non-biblical you understand.

Another great children's tale which adults will find hidden meanings within.
The author Harris was a journalist in post-
Charles H Berlemann Jr
Read this out of interest of folk lore and some of these are very much like the old Aesop stories of old. With not as many morality tales and more along the lines of explaining things of how the world works or if they have morals to them these stories then the stories align with Aesop fair tales. That said, some of these could be considered inappropriate for children today but just look at how civilizations when these stories were collected then you know they were considered inline with the mora ...more
Eric Martin
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a hard book to evaluate. It's hard to read the dialect, although it gets easier as you get used to it. However sometimes, you just can't decipher the dialog, so you have no idea what you just read.

Then there is the content. On one hand you have an elderly black man providing moral instruction to a young white boy. On the other hand in one story Uncle Remus complains that every black boy sent to school essentially robs the county of a plow man. I almost think you need to read this as part o
TommyLovesEli
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The stories are good, but only a few are exceptional.

You need to read these ones for sure:
The Wonderful Tar-Baby Story
Mr. Rabbit Grossly Deceives Mr. Fox
Mr. Fox is Again Victimized
and
Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Bear (the original title for BRER RABBIT AND THE GOOBER PATCH)
Carolyn Page
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
CLASSIC stories along the lines of Aesop's fables. Younger children will appreciate just the stories, older children and adults can have deeper discussions on the dialects and background of the authorship and meanings of the stories.
Vanessa
The story of Brer fox and little Mr. Cricket and many , many more . Pidgin English is very hard to read . But with time you can get the gist of a few stories . To my surprise, not all I read had a humorous ending .
Rod Tailford
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
History. Respect. Read it before it's erased, and rewritten.
Neil
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This book contains all of Joel Chandler Harris's animal fables as told by the character "Uncle Remus" Remus is a freed slave on a southern plantation, and his stories are told in Harris's attempt at the Negro dialect of the time, although the stories themselves are an invaluable cultural reference, Remus can be seen as too much of a "Yus Masser" stereotype, although in fact he isn't so one dimensional as those who haven't actually read the books may think, in the later stories for instance he is ...more
Ginger Stepp
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Uncle Remus

In their original vernacular, the tales of Brier Rabbit can be a challenge to read at any age; however, as these stories were meant to be shared orally, a good storyteller would be able to get the diction, accents, and mannerisms down just right to give these characters life. The tales themselves are a play on the good versus evil theme found in almost all traditional literature. Brier Rabbit is constantly being harassed byBrier Bear and Brier Fox as they want o enjoy him for dinner.
Ebster Davis
I don't feel prepared to give this story a rating. I think the stories themselves are clever and quite funny; there is a lot of nuance to them that's hard for me to pick up on because I don't understand much of the dialect in which they are being told.

It's very evocative of an oral storytelling and I loved how the relationship between storyteller and story-listener is depicted: it's pretty well suggested Uncle Remus crafts his stories on-the-fly, based on what he can 'remember' about an event a
Elaine
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
These are so much fun to read, and I was surprised. Because of one reason or another, which I understand, they have been considered not worthy, but the author preserved a type of American language which will be lost, so I found them worthwhile. The tales are short, and could be a kind of late 19th. or 20th. century Aesop's Fables. The telling of each tale is done by Uncle Remus in his dialect while the animals share that same Southern rural style. The time period of these tellings are post-Civil ...more
Tracy Zelinsky
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I discovered this book in my daughter's school library and took it out, for myself, over 2 summers. Then it dawned on me that I had to have my own copy. That too was an adventure to search it out. I loved this book and read it aloud to my kids, nieces and nephews, on our cabin vacations in the summer, sleep-overs and on road trips. Little did I know what a great memory it would be for them. I love reading aloud, and being read to; it is so good for the imagination. It is the best entertainment. ...more
Duncan Parish
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These stories have long been favorites of mine, and I was also pleased to read Harris' comments about the origins of the stories. Storytellers are very important to a variety of societies, and uncle Remus is one of the best. His using the animal stories, which are known in some guise worldwide, to mold the moral education of the boy is common in many groups. It was certainly common in my house. It's a shame that political correctness has made many people either fearful or disdainful of this wond ...more
Hmarkzon
This book is actually set up like a chapter book, and I was surprised to see that most of the stories being told in the book were common tales, like the Fox, Hare and Turtle, or How the Sun came to Be? It is a little repetitive, but if you don't want to buy several books, I would recommend purchasing this one because it includes all of the animal folktales.
Mary Tuley
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody.
I think it's such a shame that the politically correct literary critics of the world have somehow managed to call this book racist. It reflects a certain time and mindset, I guess, but what it is is a bunch of gloriously imaginative animal stories for children.

• Four Major Plays of Chikamatsu
  • The Tales of Mother Goose
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • Diwan Al Hallaj
  • The Three Kingdoms: The Sacred Oath (The Three Kingdoms, 1 of 3) (chapter 1-35)
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • A Sister to Scheherazade
  • The Bezels of Wisdom
  • Records of the Grand Historian: Han Dynasty I
  • The Life of an Amorous Woman and Other Writings
  • The Baburnama: Memoirs of Babur, Prince and Emperor
Joel Chandler Harris was an American journalist born in Eatonton, Georgia who wrote the Uncle Remus stories, including Uncle Remus; His Songs and His Sayings, The Folk-Lore of the Old Plantation, (1880), Nights with Uncle Remus (1881 & 1882), Uncle Remus and His Friends (1892), and Uncle Remus and the Little Boy (1905).

The stories, based on the African-American oral storytelling tradition, wer