Start by marking “Biopiratería: El Saqueo de la Naturaleza y del Conocimiento” as Want to Read:
Biopiratería: El Saqueo de la Naturaleza y del Conocimiento

Biopiratería: El Saqueo de la Naturaleza y del Conocimiento

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Biopirater�a(.), marca un hito en una de las cuestiones m�s importantes del siglo [XXI]. El sugestivo enfoque de Vandana Shiva es un toque de clar�n.deber�a ser le�do y discutido por quienes se preocupan por el futuro de la Tierra.>>
-Jeremy Rifkin, autor de El fin del trabajo
Con su singular estilo, amalgama de an�lisis y de pasi�n, Vandana Shiva se remonta a la colon
Published August 1st 2010 by South End Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Biopiratería, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biopiratería

Andrea
I only recently read her for the first time and had my giant activist-writer crush, but Biopiracy might have been even better. Another three of her books were sitting on the shelves here, happy days, so I picked this one up.

Colonialism and capitalism vs life with insights into all three. I loved it, and am finding it very useful in thinking about how we arrived where we are now and just what we are up against as well as where hope lies.

I'm going to be a little sneaky and start with the summation
Noah Enelow
May 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: activists, and scientists who want to talk to activists

Shiva writes with polemical fury about the dangers of intellectual property rights over life forms. I agree with her, but I think some of the work is too polemical to be taken seriously by people who don't share her sympathies. Like many anti-GMO/genetic engineering activists, she emphasizes what we don't know about repercussions of genetic modification of food crops. However - in coming down exclusively on the side of ecology and against molecular biology, I don't think she adequately explores
Melissa
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is a problem with the logic and structure of the argument made by an author when a book opens with an exaggeration. In Shiva's case, she equates colonialism with biopiracy. While wild analogies are common for postmodern cultural critiques, it is unnerving to read them, especially when authors are making useful and much needed arguments. This is the case with this book as well. The privatization of life is disturbing and unethical and more attention should have been paid at the time of the ...more
Ryan Mishap
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
Next time some moron claims that you're just a dumb kid wanting to riot and don't know a thing about the WTO, IMF, or how great transnational corporations really are, take out this book and whap them upside the head!
Well, it is kind of thin, so grab Ecofeminism instead, and then whap! away!

Shiva, here, breaks down Western reductionist views of women and nature and describes how this view enables the West to plunder the "third world" and appropriate indigenous knowledge--then claim patents and i
Leila T.
Vandana Shiva is an incredibly strong, intelligent, passionate, and awesome woman, and when I read her stuff I get swept up in her ideas, in her point of view. Now that I'm married to a science geek and we argue about genetic engineering, I realise that the stuff that I learned (in, for instance, Shiva's writings), doesn't necessarily correspond to hard-evidence, fact-basey stuff that sounds convincing to someone who values efficiency and empiricism highly. And that is valid, just as important a ...more
Isaac
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the owership/patenting of life, feminists, tree-huggers
If you are interested, or better yet, concerned about what lab science means for the freedom of nature, read this. Shiva is definitely a great source on the subject and does a beautiful job of interrelating the feminist struggle with the subjugation of our earth.

Unfortunately, as it happens with many works of such political controversy, Shiva may just be preaching to the choir. And her anti-genetic engineering sentiments may come off as purely being anti-molecular biology. So the message may be
Bart
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Biopiracy is the Columbian 'discovery' 500 years after Columbus. Patents are still the means to protect this piracy of the wealth of non-Western peoples as a right of Western powers" (5). Patents on life, genetic engineering, and Intellectual Property Rights, are the biopirates' - Cargill, Monsanto, the WTO, Western governments, etc - hooks, swashbuckles. Vandana Shiva does not provide this comparison, but she does create elaborate arguments on why these tools of transnational corporations, int ...more
Brian
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has some redeeming qualities. I found some of the points brought up to be too Leftist even for my tastes. But it was not just the politics bothered me. I think she had some of her facts wrong. After some research into this author's background I will not be reading any more of her books. Too many plain wrong facts to support unstable arguments.
Dr. Robin M. Chandler
Fast read. Scathing indictment of the exploitation of nature and indigenous societies by powerful states and multinationals. Shiva's informed eco-feminism and intellectual grasp of the issues always impresses. Assigned reading in one of my courses.
Jessica Laine
Good Shiva read. She always has an effective argument. This was redundant from some of her previous books that I have read, none the less I enjoyed it and it is an excellent introduction to who (corporations) controls our seeds and our foods.
B
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i tend to lean left, but this book is too far left for me. while i agree with some of her arguments... there are holes in them and some of it seems "sensational" rather than academic.
Vaishali
There's a serious lapse in logic where Shiva links hunger in Bengal to little kids refusing food without their yummy mustard oil. An otherwise informative book.
Evgenia
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Clear, provocative and simply inspiring. Should be read by everyone, since the issue does concern all of us.
Henri
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valuable insights, but the book is mainly preaching to the converted
Nic Paget-Clarke
Important in understanding how patents are being used to privatize the world's living resources - biodiversity.
Jayakumar Baradwaj
An Amazing work by Dr. Vandana Shiva. The book clearly brings out the facts that how our country is letting the corporate world from US & Europe to steal our traditional knowledge.
Miquixote
Diversity for democracy, for nature, to save the planet.

Matteo
Nov 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woman-author
Vandana Shiva always has interesting things to say. i read this too long ago to remember the details, but i remember that it's valuable
Ulrich
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's twenty years old at this point and that unfortunately shows.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to read this in 1996 though.
Emma
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
Very interesting and fierce book about patriarchy, ownership (of land, resources, genetic codes and so on), monocultures, and diversity by a leading writer in the environmental movement.
Zrinka
Vandana Shiva proves her point with eloquence. An inspirational text. Read this book!
Alex Ciccone
Jan 29, 2008
Will Holub-Moorman
Jan 22, 2017
  • Ecofeminism
  • Talking About a Revolution: Interviews with Michael Albert, Noam Chomsky, Barbara Ehrenreich, bell hooks, Peter Kwong, Winona LaDuke, Manning Marable, Urvashi Vaid, and Howard Zinn
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • The Lost Language of Plants: The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicine to Life on Earth
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • All That We Share
  • Native Science: Natural Laws of Interdependence
  • Eating Fossil Fuels: Oil, Food and the Coming Crisis in Agriculture
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Deep Ecology: Living as if Nature Mattered
  • Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth
  • How Nonviolence Protects the State
  • Dark Green Religion: Nature Spirituality and the Planetary Future
  • The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience
  • Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
A major figurehead of the alter-globalization movement as well as a major role player in global Ecofeminism, Dr. Vandana Shiva is recipient to several awards for her services in human rights, ecology and conservation. Receiving her Ph.D in physics at the University of Western Ontario in 1978, Dr. Vandana Shivas attentions were quickly drawn towards ecological concerns.
More about Vandana Shiva...