Start by marking “The Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Bridge

The Bridge

Paradise is a small industrial city in Pennsylvania that's about to become Ground Zero for the end of the world. For far too long, we've been poisoning the planet with toxic waste. Not any more. This morning something finally woke up in Paradise. It's intelligent, virulent and ambitious. It's everywhere, in the water we drink, the air we breathe. And it won't be satisfied ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 351 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Leisure Books (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

S.P. Durnin
Mar 19, 2012 S.P. Durnin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most disturbing novels out there. It scared the living crap out of me. Being a fan (and now author) of zombie fiction, that's saying a lot. BRAVO!!!
Marvin
Mar 01, 2011 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Take one part Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, stir in about 20 of those creepy "radioactive creatures take over the world" B-movies from the 50s, add a George Romeo Living Dead screenplay, then pour it over a typical American small town sprinkled with local cops, struggling TV news reporters, corrupt businessmen and a few mutant rednecks and you have Skipp and Spector's The Bridge. There have been environmental horror novels before this 1991 pot-boiler but I sure there were none more disgusting a ...more
David Agranoff
This recently re-issued horror classic is a most easily described as Rachel Carson's Silent Spring if it was polluted by George Romero's the Crazies. Right up there with the eco-horror-science fiction classic the Sheep Look Up (John Brunner) or the more recent Demons by John Shirley for combining the reality of pollution and environmental destruction with a down right scary horror novel. If you don't know John Skipp and Craig Spector maybe I should back up. These two men were the ultimate splatt ...more
Monster
This recently re-issued horror classic is most easily described as Rachel Carson's Silent Spring polluted by George Romero's The Crazies. The Bridge is right up there with the eco-horror-science fiction classic The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner and the more recent Demons by John Shirley in the manner in which it combines the reality of pollution and environmental destruction with downright scary horror. At the time The Bridge was written, John Skipp and Craig Spector were the ultimate splatterp ...more
Yael
Nov 17, 2008 Yael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most disturbing -- and therefore horribly delightful (delightfully horrifying?) -- novels I've ever read. A novelized polemic on the perils of pollution, it's the story of a bridge next to a town with a less-than-honorable sanitation crew who routinely dump hazardous waste of all kinds below the bridge, where it is hidden from view by cliffs rising up from the water. In the grand old tradition of Them!, eventually all that poison begins transmuting the local wildlife and then ...more
11811 (Eleven)
I recognize the skill of these two writers and would like to read them again but this particular novel didn't do it for me. I hate agenda driven horror, especially when it's so ridiculously blatant as in "we're a bunch of litterbugs and we're gonna pay when our garbage fights back!!!

There was also an abuse of italics throughout the novel that was a little distracting. I've never seen italics used so much in one book.
Ms. Nikki
Wow. And not in a good way. I guess the authors want you to know what happens when you pollute. Reminiscent of Return of the Living Dead (with the sludge, but without the zombies...or not) and a couple of other titles (possible B titles), made this read a jumble of nothing-ness. There was no dread, no fear, and really not even a gross-out moment. I'm seriously disappointed~
Laurie
Nov 17, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This science fiction/horror tale is totally agenda driven. It’s about the day that toxic waste, thrown into the creeks, rivers, and earth, become sentient and rise up against humans. It’s about as subtle as a sledge hammer with its message that we are destroying the earth.

Written in 1991, the novel is sited in the town of Paradise, Pennsylvania, a small to medium sized city. It’s large enough to have some industry, and that industry creates waste. So there is a company that deals with relieving
Donald
Oct 17, 2010 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
These guys put the splatter in splatter-punk. It sounds like a cheap throwaway to write about the gross out, the guts, and the splatter. But to make the reader squirm, feel the gush, and swallow a dry lump is something of an artform.

The premise is simple really. Barrels and barrels of 'stuff' have been getting tossed off a bridge for some time now.
And things begin taking on a life of their own.
The sludge oozes like Frank Zappa warned us about.
The plant life becomes animated by the ooze.
Even the
Tom
May 02, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book! A dark cautionary tale about how we are treating the environment wrapped up in a deliciously thick layer of chaos and bats**t insanity. It makes you laugh and then punches you in the gut while you are caught off guard. I really wish I'd gotten the musical soundtrack for the book I'd ordered through mail. Unfortunately, it never arrived (likely due to my being in the military and having a change of bases before the soundtrack arrived in the mail. At least I have a flex ...more
Barry
Sep 08, 2011 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Skipp once signed this book to me. Between the printed text and his message, it said, "Barry-- The Bridge is by John Skipp & Craig Spector and I hope it F*CKS YOU UP!! Sincerely, Skipp."

He got his wish.

Absurd, nasty, silly, grisly, groan-worthy...and pretty damn well written, too. Now let's never speak of it again. *SHUDDER*
Philip
Feb 04, 2008 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the best of the best. This was my third time reading Skipp & Spector's The Bridge and it remains one of the best horror novels of all time. This classic 80's splatterpunk novel belongs on the shelf of every true horror fan.
K.K.
Feb 23, 2008 K.K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Probably the scariest book in existence, THE BRIDGE is not only a classic modern horror novel, but a clarion call to environmental action...steps we're only taking now, unfortunately, but at least we're taking them.
Mark Brown
Feb 07, 2014 Mark Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deliriously savage and cautionary tale about the poisoning of the planet. It has taken me too long to discover this seminal "splatterpunk" novel.
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Very good horror from this team of writers. I was sorry when they stopped writing together.
Doug Allison
Aug 27, 2012 Doug Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for my money, the scariest thing that sirs Skipp and Spector collaborated on. absolutely terrifying at times, and there's no happy ending here folks. the best eco-horror novel ever, possibly?
Wayne
Jun 29, 2017 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the original splatterpunk novels, The Bridge contains a truly original premise, and is quite suspenseful. Unfortunately, the novel is marred by scenes of violence and mayhem so over the top, the action borders in the ridiculous.
michael dempsey
Mar 08, 2017 michael dempsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book..Everything you want in horror...
Robert Beveridge
John Skipp and Craig Spector, The Bridge (Bantam, 1991)

Skipp and Spector wrote seven novels together, of which The Bridge is the sixth. The first five are inconsistent, but pretty bang-up thrill rides all the same. When they started on the downhill slide, they started steep.

The premise is pretty simple and very well-used in the atomic age: a whole bunch of toxic waste that's been dumped in one particular site starts mutating things and eventually takes on a will of its own. Hard to go wrong with
Kaisersoze
Knowing nothing about the writing duo of Skipp and Spector before I went into this novel meant I wasn't at all ready for what I got. I had no idea they were considered the kings of splatterpunk in the '80s; I just thought I was reading an ahead-of-its-time novel about an environmental disaster. Sure, I envisioned it to be a horrific environmental disaster, but one involving a living, thinking entity that somehow came out of the illegal dumping of hazardous waste into a river? That threw me.

If yo
Mark R.
Oct 15, 2014 Mark R. rated it it was ok
Eco-terror abounds in "The Bridge," by John Skipp and Craig Spector. A small town councilman has been overseeing the dumping of toxic waste. Dump it in the creek, it goes away on its own and no one ever hears of it again, right? Not so, when the toxic sludge mixes with Mother Nature and produces a massive threat that assaults the town. The grimy stuff attaches itself to whatever it comes across, biological or otherwise, and incorporates it into its mass.

Sometimes this toxic goo reminded me of "T
Linda Kendall-thompson
Apocalyptic Horror of Man's Own Making

Didn't give you a character to fully connect, empathize so when The End was happening, it didn't emotionally affect me. All was descriptive horror, disjointed and hopeless.

Also bugged me that the authors,when writing about the Sunday morning religious rituals, included Seventh Day Adventists as a Sunday meeting congregation. My father was a Jaycee and active members are all under 40 yrs of age; whereas, the authors described 50+ year old good ole boys parti
DeAnna Knippling
Wow, this was not for me. It was like the authors took the first 350 pages of The Stand and turned them into a 350 page novel, replacing Captain Trips with an environmental disaster.

It's a hate fest, which makes me uncomfortable, and paced like a modern thriller, which I often have trouble with. I didn't even like the characters I was supposed to like--too dated.

IF this is your sort of thing (fast paced, supernatural environmental thriller filled with a lot of disgust at humanity), then you will
S. Noël
Apr 15, 2012 S. Noël rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why do so many authors insist on presenting their works in Cartland sentences? Are they just lazy or don't they know better?

Instead of composing paragraphs to build their ideas, certain writers tell their stories in two-to- three sentence bits. I call these Cartland sentences, after Barbara Cartland, the horrible romance writer who invented them.

They drive me insane.

Here is an example of a book to which I would have given four stars if not for the bleeping Cartland sentences. It had some good id
Amber
Jul 31, 2012 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gotta say, I love the way these guys write... Too bad they haven't put anything out in quite a while. This was another good book, but I couldn't get into as much as I did Animals (in case you didn't read my review on THAT ONE, best werewolf book ever!). Anyway, this is an end of the world book which is caused completely by us humans poisoning it. It was well written, and was a good story. My only issue with it was there are a lot of different characters in it and it was hard to keep track of w ...more
Tim
Oct 10, 2010 Tim rated it liked it
is this classic splatter punk? The plot was contrived, there was no natural arc for the story, just point A to point B with a few stops along the way only to introduce characters you wont care about and may die in just a few pages anyway. Having said that Skipp and Spector have a great ability to bring violence and mayhem to life on the page. A few great gore bits and mass destruction on spectacular scale saved this from being a trow away read... don't expect great characterization but what you ...more
Jeff Miller
A bit dated as an environmental horror novel, but it has some nice scary moments. Picked up as a $1.99 Kindle deal.

There was one major theological error. A Lutheran character thinking about transubstantiation when in fact Lutherans deny transubstantiation and affirm consubstantiation. For Lutherans the elements coexist the body and blood of Christ. Not a big deal to the plot, although the thinking behind the theology behind transubstantiation is used later as a point of reference.
Kristi
May 08, 2010 Kristi rated it did not like it
It's very unusual for me not to like a book, but this is the exception. I thought the plot was laughable, the characters were weak and to call the book a horror is ridiculous. Aa underwater toxic dump site comes to life and what? Turns into what? Don't even ask, it's not worth mentioning. I kept hoping this story would get better up until the end, but it never did. Major disappointment.
Stephanie Rabig
Eric
Aug 03, 2014 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get through it. Not sure why. So it goes.
  • Stranger