Start by marking “Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)

Almost True

(When I Was Joe #2)

Ruthless killers are still hunting Ty. The police move him and his mum to a quiet seaside town. But a horrific attack and a bullet meant for Ty prove that he's not safe yet.

On the road again, Ty's in hiding with complete strangers... who seem to know a lot about him. Meanwhile he's desperate to see his girlfriend Claire, and terrified that she may betray him.

Ty can't trust
Published March 13th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Almost True, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

”I need some answers. I’m after the truth. But who can tell me the whole story? And how will I know it’s true?”

Almost True is book two in Keren David’s When I Was Joe series. And man, does she know how to kick off a book with a BANG! We meet up with Ty under police protection with a new name and location. Still in hiding because of the crime he witnessed and reported to the police. But his new life falls apart in a hurry with blood, fear, and death. Scared and on the road again, Ty ends up in un
Valerie
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great conclusion to the first book, "When I was Joe." While I found some flaws in the first book, I thought this one did a wonderful job making up for them. I wasn't sure whether to give it 4 or 5 stars.
**possible spoiler** I was honestly bored with Claire and everyone in his old life. I didn't mind him going to see them or getting in contact, but there was just too much of it throughout the book. **end possible spoiler**
Other than that whole part of it, I was very thrilled
Becky
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-picks
Almost True is yet another powerful, utterly compelling novel from Keren David. For me, it is really a novel of our time and of our culture. I loved it.

Ty’s story as a witness to a crime takes him forward from his life as Joe in Keren’s first novel When I Was Joe. The exciting, liberating experience of being Joe has been left behind. At the beginning of Almost True, Ty is Jake - a lost boy living by the sea. He is frightened and he has every reason to be because the gang members who he is expect
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Phew. What a ride this book is! Almost True is the sequel to When I Was Joe by Keren David which was one of my favourite books that I've read all year. I was absolutely beside myself with excitement to recieve a copy and I started it right away - abandoning the other book I had been reading. It was worth it.

Almost True continues with Ty's story. His mum and him have been living in another town under different names and still hiding from the people who are trying to kill Ty because of what he wit
Michelle
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michelle by: Jo
I am always nervous when it comes to reading (and reviewing) the second book in a series, particularly when I loved the first book. There are so many expectations that I find it easy to be let down. I am so, so, so incredibly happy to tell you that this is not the case with Almost True. When I Was Joe didn’t exactly end on a cliffhanger, but I was still left with so many questions. And boy, did David answer all those questions, and then some.

I was completely surprised by the direction David took
L.H. Johnson
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, gritty
'Almost True' is the second story Keren David has written about Ty. Ty is a boy, an average boy, who was one day involved in a horrific event which came to change and define his life. David's prose is solid, earthy and real. And it's glorious.

I came to this book after reading a whole range of stories involving fairies, elves and vampires. I'd read 'When I was Joe' (the prequel) and found it a hugely readable and pacy novel. It sagged a little in the middle but that was easy to excuse as the sag
Eric Espiritu
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eric Espiritu
1st period
Book title- Almost True
Author- Keren David

A. Mostly teen boys.
B. 5 stars!!!!!!
C. Man this was a really good second book in the series.
My thoughts on this book was everywhere. This book really explained more about the first book. And I just couldn't put it down!!! I had a few opinions, like why keep Ty (main character) away from company. At least give him some freedom. Now the feelings lol. I was happy, mad, shocked, and relieved. Happy because in the book, Ty finally go
LibraryLass
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great finish to this story. I enjoyed it almost as much as the first. I did think that at times the voice of Ty/Joe became less authentic than in the first book. I mean I got pulled out of the story slightly by the almost "motherly" feel to the story. But these times were few and far between and did not stop me from enjoying the story at all. A fantastic read which I will be recommending to teens of both sexes and my colleagues who are into YA fiction. I will definitely be on the lookout for her ...more
Beth
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was excellent. I enjoyed it evsn more than When I Was Joe. I loved the way Joe keeps fighting to stand up for himself and the relationships he has with the people he meets even though he is not supposed to become attached to anybody in case his identity is discovered. I love the trial and how you think everything could turn out to be okay and then it totally isn't. I am looking forward to the third book as i love Joe as a character and was sad to get to the end of this book ...more
DanDan
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great Book, really tied up the story, nice ending.
The Hallucination scenes really seemed to play on his mind, i like the implementation of this. it adds to the story 5/5.
Well down Keren David, i look forward to other books you might write in the future :)
Martha Itzcovitz
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Slightly disappointed, not as good as When I was Joe
Yami
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
okay between 4-5 stars.
I loved this one waaay more than the first, it had way to many events in it,and sub-stories, I loved how it ended, I loved Ty, and how true he sounded, and I feel kinda bad the I doubted him in the previous one, just a lost kid, struggling to not show emotions, but has a heart of gold.
loved his family.
I think the only part I didnt like is Claire, and the cheesy romance between the two, but hey that is how teens are ,and what puppy love looks like.
the mentioning of HP, lord
Rhianna
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great sequel with brilliant writing that kept me just as engrossed in this as the first book.
Susan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Ty can't trust his own judgement and he's making danger decisions that could deliver him straight to the gangsters.

A superb follow-up! I lo
Joanne
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really easy, enjoyable read. Great characters.
Caro
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Almost True is the sequel to When I Was Joe. I can't review Almost True without writing some tiny spoilers for When I Was Joe so go read the wonderful first book and then come back to read my review of the even-more-wonderful second one!

The thing about sequels is that most of the time, you never get the same rush of emotions you felt while reading the first book in a series for the first time. You already know the characters and you see the plot coming so it hardly feels the same way, and at wor
Emily Rachelle
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
(This review is for the entire trilogy.)

Let me start off by saying that this series was a new thing for me. First off, I'm not one for thrillers, which this series definitely counts as. But I enjoy mysteries, a similar genre, so I gave it a shot. Another first about these books is that I've never read stories both written by and targeted to British people - with British lingo, punctuation, grammar, etc. It was actually pretty fun to see all the differences and try to decode the British English.
Empire of Books
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you have read my review of When I Was Joe by Keren (which can be found here), you'll know that I love Ty and his story and was excruciatingly excited for this book. And I'll tell you something, it doesn't disappoint for a single second!

Right from the beginning, Almost True hurtles along at break-neck speed. Ty is still on the run. But for now, he thinks he is safe. Until someone dies. A cast of mistaken identity. They've found him, and now he has to run again. But this time, things are differ
Shesten Melder
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Plot Sketch: Almost True follows the story of Joe, er... Ty, er... Jake, um. We'll stick with dude's given name, Ty. Ty witnessed a horrific murder and is now in WitSec, well, the British equivalent thereof because this series is all kinds of British. This installment follows more running/hiding/coping for this unfortunate 14-year-old, enlightening us as to circumstances that we were left wondering about at the end of When I Was Joe. You get to meet Ty's father and his father's family, and get t ...more
Ty and his mother have been in witness protection since Ty saw a murder committed and gave a statement to the police. After their safety was compromised they were moved again and are now living in a small seaside town far away from their home in London. When the killers track them down yet again, a case of mistaken identity means that this time someone ends up dead and Ty is on the run again. His family no longer feel that they can trust the police to keep them safe so they decide to take matter ...more
James Hargest Library
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deadly killers are hunting Tyler so the police move him and his mum to a quiet seaside town. But a horrific attack and a bullet meant for Ty that he’s not safe. On the road again, Ty’s in hiding with complete strangers . . . who seem to know a lot about him. Meanwhile he’s desperate to see his girlfriend Claire, and terrified that she may betray him. Ty can’t trust his own judgement and he’s making dangerous decisions that could deliver him straight to the gangsters. It’s up to him to survive un ...more
Kirsty
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya, uk-author
A brilliant read which had me hooked from the first page.

I read the first book in this series a while back and have been meaning to reading this for a while. From the moment I picked it up I knew I was going to struggle to put it down as I found it addictively engaging because the storyline was pacey and action packed.

In this book you get to know more about Ty's background as he finds out for himself for the first time more about his father and his father's family. I loved finding out that det
Julia Phillips
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
An outstanding follow-up to 'When I Was Joe'. I couldn't wait to read this and sat up till 3am just to finish it.

The characters all move on from the end of the last book and Ty, at the centre of the story, feels his life spiralling out of control.

There are all the elements of a truly Shakespearian drama here - love, betrayal, friendship, family, misunderstanding, hatred... it's a heady mix and only the quality of the writing keeps this from being a complex mess of emotions.

Ty's voice is the d
Jenni
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After having to read "When I Was Joe" in two parts I knew I wanted to read "Almost True" in one sitting. I did, and was glad!

"Almost True" continues telling the story of Ty, and is a real rollercoaster of action and emotion. I found at times that I couldn't read fast enough, and then at other times I almost didn't want to turn the page.

One of the things I really loved is how realistically the characters are created. Like most teenagers Ty gets it right some of the time and also gets it wrong, m
Laina SpareTime
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I end up feeling about the same way about this one as I did with When I Was Joe. There was a lot I liked, but the way women and girls were treated in it really bothered me at times. And again, there were female characters I liked, but it really rubbed me the wrong way when others were treated so badly, with such contempt, even. I have such a hard time recommending it because of that, even though I think a lot of people would like it. Read the rest on my blog.
Tracett
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved When I was Joe. This is a good follow up. Much of what I enjoyed about WIWJ was Joe/Ty's interactions with his world. Almost True is very much about his interior thought process - and he is very confused. This makes a bit of a muddled read, but as he learns more and grows up more the book pulls together. If you liked "Joe" you really will want to read this. I hope to see more of this series.
Wisteriouswoman
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. It was a side of British life that is being covered more and more--gangs and council housing and parents that do drugs or raise their children as a single parent.
This one is an adventure and I wasn't sure where it was going because it had some surprises.
The good thing was that it wasn't too gritty with British slang and easy for an American to read and get into.
I want to read the first book in the series next so I know what happened to Ty before.
Samantha
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Keren David's second book is even grittier than the last. Yet more danger, tension and secrets arise in the sequel to When I Was Joe.
The relationship that develops between Joe and his paternal grandparents is wonderfully written and the humour and sarcasm that ensues when Joe's cousin Archie comes to stay is laugh out loud funny!
I honestly cannot wait to see what Keren David comes up with next!
Roberta Jayne
Following on from When I Was Joe, in which a teenager (named Joe, funnily enough) is taken into witness protection after being involved in a local attack.

It's all about identity and the consequences of lies and how that affects who you are and so on. It's intense and stresses on the value of friendships and the cost that comes with trying to protect them.
Janie
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Ty's point of view was honest and gripping. I was shocked how much was kept from Ty/Joe. The plot twists and turns as the reader, as Ty, finds out that his family's past is more turbulent than he had ever realized. His position in the witness protection program is the thing that set the whole thing in motion. One of the few times that the sequel is better than the original.

• Being Billy
  • Wedding Hells (Parker Sisters #0.5)
  • Fast Forward
  • Naked
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
  • Broken Soup
  • Ghost Flower
  • We Can Be Heroes
  • An Act of Love
  • My So-Called Haunting (Afterlife, #2)
  • アイリス・ゼロ 1 [Iris Zero 1]
  • The Knife That Killed Me
  • Dead Romantic
  • Immortal Remains (Weirdsville, #2)
  • The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)

When I Was Joe (3 books)
  • When I Was Joe (When I Was Joe, #1)
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
“A world where everyone tells lies all the time is like a world where everyone carries a knife. You think it’s going to help you, but it only makes things worse.” 3 likes
“Archie, I am so sorry to have hit you with a hardback book,’ I say. ‘I will use a paperback next time.” 1 likes