Start by marking “Who Is Driving?” as Want to Read:
Who Is Driving?

Who Is Driving?

Who is driving . . . the fire engine?
Elephant!
He is driving to the fire station.

From fire trucks to convertibles and snails to elephants, here's a book that's full of toddler favorites! Kids must solve the puzzle: which animal is driving which vehicle? With bold illustrations full of funny details, kids will love reading--and playing--this simple guessing game again and
Published January 23rd 2007 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Who Is Driving?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is Driving?

Shally
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
great interactive book, but some of the pictures are awfully tricky. Especially when doing it for storytime
Dani
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun guess-ahead game, but it was a little advanced for my preschooler, who wasn't familiar with all the different uniforms that corresponded to the different vehicles.
Casandria
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good for story time. A simple question and answer book.
Ms. Jeane
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I ordered this book to read during my "Things that Go" storytime but sadly it came in about 5 days late. That's ok, it's still a very good book and maybe next time I do this theme I will get it on time. This book about work for earlier ages 0-3 really well.
Juliana Lee
Bright and colorful. Toddlers are asked who is driving each vehicle from race car to airplane. The answers on the next page range from funny and obvious. The snail drives the race car and the giraffe drives the convertible.
Mattie Maloy
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very good read along theme book. This book makes it easy for ur listener to predict things in the book and think they are reading along with you. This book could be a good relationship builder between an adult and child. Also this book could get kids interested in reading.
Kimberly
This was a fun one to use in storytime (5/23/17). The kiddos took good guesses and were not always right!
Karen
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The 2yo is into keys recently, and has been into vehicles for a while, so this was perfect for his current stage.
Katy
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a nice little book, but I'm not personally crazy about it. It has hidden visual clues to identify who will be in what vehicle.
Leslie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun book for our Music & Movement Storytime. Kids loved guessing which animal would be driving.
Elena Maddox
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay for lap reading. Not great for storytime. Good for babies or toddlers
Roben
What a fun book! Can you guess who is going to drive which vehicle? We read this for our voyage themed storytime and the kids loved it.
Milton Louie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Guess which animal is driving. B
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is a fun picture book about who is driving various modes of transportation (mostly cars). In each query there is asked "Who is driving _______?" Things like a fire truck or a convertible or whatnot. When the question is asked there are four different animals that are holding keys that could be on their way to drive that particular vehicle. But only one has a clue that fits who would be driving that. For example only the elephant is wearing the fireman's outfit so really he is the one who wo ...more
Angela
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Interactive-style story asks the reader to guess which animal is driving each vehicle based on their clothes, etc. The text is very simple, leaving the parent/child to discuss the options. Sometimes this is tricky -- like when I couldn't identify whch animal a drawing was supposed to represent. Still, I enjoyed it even though I'm usually not a fan of this kind of book. The illustrations are part of what makes it work: they're a cute & very detailed cartoony style. The vehicle sound effects a ...more
Lindsay
I used this book for bilingual story time as a participation story. I asked the kids who they thought was going to drive the said vehicle, and then on the next page, I had them yell out "who" was actually driving. I also made the sounds that each vehicle makes (the sound is provided, which makes it easier) and had the kids try to make the sounds, too. It's a very simple book, but it's fun. It is also very bright and cheerful-looking.
Becky B
Readers are asked on alternating spreads "Who's driving the..." and if your very observant you can match the outfit to the transportation. Of course, answers get checked on the next page spread.

This is a fun book to use when having children test their observation skills, predicting skills, when talking about onomatopoeia (the vehicles each make a different sound), transportation, or for career day as it highlights a variety of occupations.
Drew Graham
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
There are lots of vehicles ready to go, but who's the driver for each one?

This is a fun idea but the art style is off-putting to me (random example that comes to mind: the hippo's weird periscope nostrils). I know it's a personal preference sort of thing and it's not like revolting, but still it just makes me less inclined to pick it up on repeated occasions. It does (mostly) amuse me how The Boy (3.5) guesses the wrong driver I'm pretty sure on purpose.
Katy Houseman
This book is fun for children who like solving puzzles and like vehicles/planes. In this book children will read along and try to figure out which animal will ride in which vehicle/plane. Children will use critical thinking skills and predicting to come up with their own idea of which animal will drive what.
jacky
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This one was read at story time today. I thought the idea was good and I liked how it wasn't overly simple. For example, the driver of the fire truck was easy to pick out, but not so much the driver of the convertible, limo, or tractor. I also liked the variety in vehicles. We weren't very close so I didn't see the illustrations very well.
Maria
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My four year old LOVES this one. It's cute and clever and easy to keep him engaged throughout.

Illustrations show a small group of animals but only one matches / fits with the vehicle. There are lots of subtle clues so it's a very fun, interactive read. This one is high on our list of favorites!
Renee
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK
Kids will enjoy trying to guess which animal will get into each vehicle. Once again, I dislike the female giraffe wearing pink getting into the pink car but at least there was a female cat wearing blue getting into a blue car....
Esther
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book tests kids critical thinking or problem solving skills in a fun way. Who is most likely to drive this kind of vehicle? Then a parade of very cute animals all dressed differently go by and you have to choose.
Danica Midlil
LOVE the pictures, but I have trouble using this book since my preschool storytime audience never guesses the right driver! There is usually one tricky option and they always fall for it. Maybe it really needs a kindergarten audience or older...
Deatrice
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love how the reader gets to guess which character is going to be on the next page, my children were thrilled when they were correct. The illustrations are great for children learning how to make connections. Plus the pictures are a lot of fun to look at!
Jenny
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Really cute book. Liked the pictures and the movement of the story. My 2 1/2 year old was practically "reading" the book as he turned the pages, telling me who would drive each car. Really enjoyed that he was understanding the concept so well.
Kristen
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It's a simple guessing game, although not all of the drivers are easy to guess. It was fun to read aloud and ask the kids who they thought was driving. A great pick for an interactive, participatory book in storytime!
N
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concepts
The reader must look for context clues in the illustrations to match a series of drivers paired with cars. For example, the guy in the overalls would be the one driving the tractor. But it gets more complex. Great way to strengthen visual intelligence.
Rachel Watkins
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-book
This was more than the usual board book. The illustrations are very captivating and the children at our Avid Bookshop story time had a blast reading this one. Predicint who would be driving each car was so fun!
Jen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Zany animal drivers in fun vehicles. A nice lil guessing game for me (the first time around)- I actually was tripped up by one of the drivers. Too young yet for Finn to guess, but he loves all vehicles - the jeep and tractor the most!

• Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • I Love Trains!
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
Leo Timmers was born in 1970, in Belgium. Trained in Graphic Design he began to illustrate Children’s books. Gradually he started writing stories himself. In 2000 he received a Bookfeather Award for his illustrations in 'Happy with me'. He won the annual Children’s and Youth jury Award in both 2005 with ‘Just in time’ (written by Bart Demyttenaere) and 2006 with ‘Supermouse’.In 2007 he won with hi ...more