Start by marking “Lilacs” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  739 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Gene has been dragged by his mother to an historical tourist spot, so that he can meet and get to know his new stepbrother. But the stepbrother is the last person he expected to see, and the history in the tower proves to be not as dead and buried as Gene would prefer.

This is an alternate cover edition for ISBN 9781936202140.
Published January 2010 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about Lilacs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilacs

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Okay I read this book for a challenge on goodreads but I just wasn't feeling it. Even for a short story, it wasn't for me.

Gene is taken to meet his new step father and brother but it turns out Gene hates his step-brother for things he's done in the past.

There are some ghosts in the book but it wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Some would love this though :-)
TL
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
"You've always said you prefer honesty, no matter how painful the truth is, so I'm going to be honest. Mother, I hate you."

"Yes, dear, that's nice," his mother said absently.

She looked up from the glossy guide book that had become her bible from the moment she'd decided upon Operation Get to Know Each Other.

Personally, he wanted to know why he couldn't have gotten to know his new stepfather and stepbrother at the beach. At least there, if he wound up hating the stepbrother, he could have cons
L-D
I have been reading a lot of Megan Derr shorts and I like her writing. This short story wasn't too bad. I liked the characters and knew that somehow there would be a heart-to-heart about their misunderstanding years past and I wasn't quite sure how that was going to work out. I personally didn't like the ending and didn't buy into the reason for Teddy's betrayal. (view spoiler) ...more
Siobhan
I’ve picked up quite a few Megan Derr books – she seems to be quite popular in the genre, and having recently dived into it most of my reads come from her – and I have come to notice a certain formula.

What is this formula?

Well, it is the formula for cuteness. It is twisted and turned for each particular story, yet it always results in something short and sweet. In a way, it is as though she is twisting the same characters (renaming them for each story) and shoving them into a new setting.

In no
Kati
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a lovely story. And it just proves that people should talk to each other instead of jumping to conclusions because it leads to misunderstandings and a lot of hurt. I felt really sorry for the ghosts but their interference was really sweet - and funny. Also, Gene's mom was awesome and his relationship with her even more so!
Deeze
Sweet and interesting tale, with a little ghostly mystery thrown in.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Lilacs is short and sweet. The animosity between Gene and Teddy starts out strong, on account of Teddy sleeping with Gene’s (ex) boyfriend. In an effort to appease their parents, however, they’re civilized to each other. It takes a pair of ghosts, who are ironically their ancestors, to bring the two of them back together, sorting out all the issues regarding why Teddy slept with the ex in the first place.

This is definitely an easy read and I loved the writing style. I zipped through this one fas
Yvonne
Apr 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
The writing style needed to be improved on this book. It was hard to tell who was talking between the ghosts & the two MC. It was very choppy with frequent pov changes that was hard to keep up with. The story may have had a point but it was hard to discern it because I was frequently distracted by how this was written. It felt not ready for publication.
Chris
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ok free short paranormal m/m romance about two guys who hate each other due to a big misunderstanding... and then discover they're about to become stepbrothers.
Van
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The ghost story is a nice addition to the plot.
Katherine
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems pretty basic at first; what is supposed to be a 'meet the family' thing turns out that the two soon to be stepbrothers know each other after all. They have a bad history and a fair amount of anger that they are willing to pretend isn't there for their respective parents. But then a ghost comes into the mix and it gets a little weird, but the truth actually comes out. What's not to love?
Alaska
Although sad in some ways I really liked this short story. Megan Derr just knows how to fill pages with live, no matter how few pages ;) I always like it a lot when the MCs hate each other in the beginning and turn slowy to each other (view spoiler). And I am a big sucker for secret or symbolic messages, like the meaning of a flower. Now I always have ...more
Driima
Ayanna
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I thought it developed rather quickly. I mean, it was a short, so there's that, but still. It all seemed rather rushed.

The story itself isn't anything special. In fact, I read one soon after reading this one that was exactly the same plot basis. Still, it's a nice, sweet story, and the characters do rather come to life, even for how briefly they're shown, but Derr's good at that.
Sarina
I like the ghost aspect and I guess it all counts as a HEA but I think it all wrapped up too easily. Gene had every right to be pissed and hurt and I find myself still upset on his behalf even after the ending. The story was cute and I like the historical tie in but it wasn't my favorite by this author. I'm not sure if I'll read it again.
Rissa
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to read this story for a while! I adore this author! The story or what we found out about the ghosts was heartbreaking and bittersweet but I'm so glad that it looks like Teddy and Gene have a different course in their ending and hopefully a happy one! :) Enjoyable read!
Roger - president of NBR United -
Now I was surprised by how much I liked this book, because ghost story normally aren't up my alley. The enemies to lovers angle is understandable and the meddling gay ghosts getting Teddy and Gene to talk about the issue that caused them to become enemies and clear up the misunderstanding.
Tamela
I loved the story and everything about it. The only thing I regretted was how the ghost lovers had met their end. So glad that Teddy and Gene took the ghosts "advice" and talked. Good story, I recommend.
Diane
I love the way the mystery (historical) is embedded in the contemporary romance. It's nice to think of two who died for love were able to bring two current day star-crossed lovers together.

PS. Gene's mom is hilarious!
JP
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to laugh so much. These boys were quite charming and I could very well understand their reasoning and frustration. I really liked this real world setting. It could have happened right next to me.
Kirsty
Nice story. But could have been a lot more. Became more interested in the ghosts story really, which wasn't explained all that much and just... feel like it could have been a lot more. Still a pleasant read though.
Jessica  `~Blahyze~`
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I didn't really get into the ghost thing although I did like the story mostly. I liked Gene and Teddy and it was good that Gene finally found out the real story about what really happened with Robert (Gene's Ex) and Teddy. Not a bad read.
Matthew
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little short story. Sweet. I enjoyed it. Not sure I completely approve of the characters' actions, but they look good together... perhaps they deserve each other, even if they aren't perfect people.
Xondra Day
I didn't like the characters. I thought they were too angry and nasty. I admit to skimming along at certain points, but it was the characters that really killed it for me.
Usagi Tsukino
I was totally disappointed with this story :( I've read it 'cause I liked the author's other stories, but this... it left me displeased.
Teetee
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, short but just what I needed!
lesley dawn wallace
Lilacs

lilacs is a great read it really gets you going . I love the ghosts in the book to funny
Ralph
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
I wasn't fond with the characters and the conflict was resolved a little too quickly for my tastes. But the story was well written it was free so I can't really complain.
Cherie Noel
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute! And *I am a greedy wench* my only quibble is I would have it be longer. Just so I could have spent longer travelling from the beginning of the story to the end of it. :)
Sadie Forsythe
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
3.5
Cute little story. Rushed ending, though.
  • Arson of the Heart
  • Private Dicks: Undercovers
  • Friction (Dominion, #0.1)
  • Darkling Mine
  • Midnight
  • Thaw (PsyCop, #1.1)
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Gregori's Ghost
  • Pineapples & Chocolate
  • Deliberately Unbound (Bound, #2.5)
  • The Way to Will
  • Lazy Sundays
  • Zombie Wonderland
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Freedom's Souvenir
  • The Wish (The Wish, #1)
  • His Gift
  • Dark Angel (Vampire #.5)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com