Start by marking “Whirl of the Wheel” as Want to Read:
Whirl of the Wheel

Whirl of the Wheel

3.03  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Three children whirl back in time through an enchanted potter’s wheel into the reality of evacuation in 1940s Britain . . . Whirl of the Wheel pulls feisty Connie, her brother Charlie-Mouse, and school pest Malcolm into dangers on the homefront and towards a military secret that will save their home from demolition. The children hit trouble when Malcolm fails to return to ...more
Published December 26th 2009 by Smashwords (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Whirl of the Wheel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirl of the Wheel

Catherine Condie
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

A review from a MobileRead reader . .

"Fantastic, a heart-warming and delightful tale, as difficult to put down as I used to find the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome, and certainly one of the best children’s works I’ve read in years!

As I said on the forum, I thought you developed your characters very quickly, and managing to make me care about them, especially Connie, your plot was intriguing and full of surprises, it rolled along at just the right pace, and built to a really fantast
Shayne
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A time-travel story between present-day and 1940s Britain - and with a capable young heroine who just happens to be in a wheelchair. Not that Connie lets that stop her from doing what she wants.

This is a lovely blend of magic and realistic historical fiction. The period details feel convincing without ever being overdone, and the children are credible, with the sorts of fears and priorities that feel right for their age and situation. I was reminded a little of the "Green Knowe" books, with the
Hazel
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Wheelchair bound twelve-year old Connie and her brother, Charlie-Mouse are being forced to move house, as the Vicarage they live in is schedule for demolition. Convinced that the building is steeped in history, they discover a way of travelling back in time with the help of Wendy the Wendlewitch, determined to uncover evidence to save their home.

The children arrive in 1940s Britain where they meet Kit and Bert, evacuees from London, who are living in the village with their aunt and uncle. After
Katherine Holmes
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children's, Historical fantasy readers
My review at Amazon.com:

Whirl of the Wheel has a mystical shape, taking its reader in cycles of time-travel that hold together like a vase on a potter's wheel. I was enamored with the characters, Connie's leaving her wheelchair during 1940s air raids and her brother's leaping the gap of decades. This is cleverly wrought, portraying the displacement of children during World War II.

Catherine Condie's colorful prose almost camouflages the fantasy and the Wendlewitch while drawing one into the chara
Leigh
This was a free Kindle book and it read like one...although the plotline in itself was very interesting. Two English children, one in a wheelchair but very capable, go back in time to WW II England (through their eccentric neighbor's pottery wheel) to find a war-related secret that will save their present day home. Their father is a vicar and their vicarage is about the be demolished by a ruthless real estate investor, whose son is the school bully. The writing was bit flowery and hard to read ...more
Lauren
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This was one of the first books I downloaded to my kindle. A freebie and only 100 pages long. The idea of the story was intriguing, but the book was hard to follow at times and the ending was very abrupt. I spent most of the time flipping backwards wondering if I missed something. The transition between scenes didn't flow very well and left me wondering what the hec I missed! It had the potential to be a good book but unfortunately didn't stack up to my expectations!
Joe
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wandering then engaging read. Characterisation of the children in this story is not so good, more Enid Blyton than Roald Dahl, but in fairness to the author, this is her first novel. More science fiction than historical fiction, the story would, I think, have been more effective if the timelines had converged at the end of the story, but perhaps she wanted to avoid this sci-fi convention. Otherwise, a good first novel.
Angela
Jan 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Hmmm! Not got a lot to say really apart from I didn't enjoy it at all. The writing was too flowery and overly descriptive, the story jumped about all over the place and was hard to follow. For a short book, this took me a surprisingly long time to read because I just couldn't get into it. Afraid I can't recommend this book at all.
TeresaFL
This was a short book. I did enjoy the story and especially the travel by the children between their current time and the past. England in the midst of WW2 and the way families were dealing with being displaced was a perfect backdrop to the displacement Connie and Charlie-Mouse were feeling as their house was being taken from them by a land developer.
Becky
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
The plot line was very interesting, I think children would really like it if they ever thought about time traveling. Being not a child and reading it, it was not terrible, but not something I would recommend to other adults. It was free on my Kindle.
Cindy Winder delong
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lari
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book :)
Samantha
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was one of those books that I picked up on my Kindle since it was a freebie. It wasn't that bad, and it was a very quick read.
Anita
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I downloaded this short eBook as a freebie from amazon.com.
This story about two children; Connie, who is sometimes confined to a wheelchair, and her brother, Charlie-Mouse, who time-travel via the spinning of a magic potter's wheel owned by their mother's friend, did not really engage me. The idea of the plot was imaginative, but the execution muddled and left the reader perplexed when the children constantly slipped from the present time to the era of World War II. The story lacked flow and th
R.E. Weber
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whirl of the wheel is an old fashioned story for all ages centering on a group of time travelling children. It is charming, wonderfully written, warm hearted and enjoyable. If you are looking for fast paced action, this book isn't it. If however you are looking for an easy, short, deliberately paced read, with bags of heart and likeable, interesting characters, then you could do a lot worse than this. Well worth an hour or three of your time.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Normally I like time travel stories but this one just never grabbed me. A couple of kids can go back through time to wartime Britain. They can travel back and forth, almost at will. One kid who's a bully ends up traveling back also and somehow he changes utterly. The whole thing revolves around saving a bunch of houses from being destroyed by a greedy guy and even that isn't really very interesting.

I never really cared much for any of the characters nor for much of anything that happened.
Christina
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the overall plot of the story and the characters, but the flow of the book was off a bit. I found it a bit hard to follow along with and I kept finding myself paging backwards to see if I missed something. At the end it just felt like it dropped off and was a bit unfinished. Still I enjoyed it in spite of the few issues.
Apology89
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Eh, it's the first book I downloaded and read on my kobo. It felt rushed, it needs some padding and maybe some proof reading. Generally it's not bad, but if you can't get into it then you probably shouldn't read it.
Krista
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story, but it was a fast read and ended in the middle of a story line. The sequel was supposed to have been published by now but instead she published another book that wasn't nearly as good. I'm left hanging...
Donna Schoening
This was just a free book I put on my Kindle, not realizing that it was a children's book. I guess it's not really fair for me to review it because I didn't care for it since it didn't have much of a plot.
Alison
Feb 17, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: alis-kindle
freebie
Colleen Ray
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a fair book, but ended very abruptly. It would probably be of interest to younger readers interested in exploring science fiction / fantasy genres. Not bad for a free ebook.
Kathi Olsen
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This could be a fun read for preteens and above. A little magic, a little time travel and very realistic kids for characters
Beth
Aug 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not even finish this book, it was so bad!
Nancy
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Entertaining enough, but not particularly memorable.
Deann
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Not bad, but dropped off abruptly. I love time travel books and was expecting more, but I did like it okay, so I'm giving it a 3.
Aura
Nov 26, 2017
Sonia
Jul 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tales of St. Austin's (School Stories, #3)
  • Message for Minerva (Garland of Druids, #9)
  • The Mudlark
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Jerry Junior
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • Boob Tube
  • Song of the Swan
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Christmas Scandal...Not!
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • The Little Known
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Dancing In The Lowcountry
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • The Queen's Dollmaker
Born in Cambridge, UK, Catherine Condie trained as a business linguist. Her first job was in corporate communications and public relations, where she progressed as an in-house writer and magazine editor in the science community. She is also a singer/songwriter and guitarist with a catalogue of ballads and folk-pop, which she first performed in the Club Tent at the Cambridge Folk Festival at the ag ...more
More about Catherine Condie...