Start by marking “The Trouble with Tribbles” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Tribbles

The Trouble with Tribbles

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  494 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The complete story of one of Star Trek's most popular episodes, "The Trouble with Tribbles." Includes the final revised draft of the play (p.[167]-241).
Published January 12th 1980 by Del Rey Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Tribbles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Tribbles

Corey
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A "making of" book about one of the most popular Star Trek episodes of all-time, this book was probably instrumental in making me the science fiction geek I am today. I read it as a kid, long before the internet and modern fandom, and it was my introduction to the world behind the cameras, at a time when that world wasn't so easily accessible. It sparked an early interest in writing, screenwriting in particular, and filmmaking. I'll always remember it fondly, and I've followed David Gerrold's wr ...more
Lou Sytsma
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the paperback of this when it first came out and just recently picked up the ebook edition.

It's still a fascinating read into the original Star Trek's favorite episodes. Always intrigues me to see how a story idea evolves from the first pitch to the final product.

Gerrold's writing style makes it both a fun and educational read.
Vanessa
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, nonfiction, star-trek
I actually have the fourth printing of this book, released in 1974, which I got when I a young lass. My friend had taken me to a Star Trek convention, and I had watched re-runs of the original shows (yes, there were already re-runs going in 1973), and really liked them. I have been a Star Trek fan ever since.

This book, and The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield are my two all-time favorite non-fiction books about the series. They give a lot of inside information on the characters, acto
Josh
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I was turned onto this book through a Boing Boing post about it and thought it'd be a fun read. It mostly is, and is a perfectly fine example of the type of thing that it is, but ultimately that is not a type of thing that I care about all that much. It's sort of like analog DVD extras, and 98% of DVD extras I'm exposed to go unwatched. I was interested in the discussions about the craft of TV writing, so I liked seeing how a great episode of a show evolved through countless rewrites and discuss ...more
Rich Meyer
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent look back at the making of Star Trek. I can't believe this is the first time I've actually read this one - I think I picked up The World of Star Trek back in the day and somehow must of assumed this was just a rebranded version or something.

David Gerrold's book shows exactly how things worked back in the late sixties in terms of how writers sold scripts to television shows - and the basics of how to even begin such a process. I'm not sure how much has changed today, with the advent of
Dark-Draco
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This has to be one of my favourite episodes of any Star Trek and somewhere I even have a Tribble purring away in a drawer. I've had this book for ages and have read it many times, as it appeals to the Trekkie side of me as well as the writer side. Funnily enough, I found the style a bit annoying on this reread - maybe just because I have read it so many times before. It is a bit repetitive, as the story is told several times, but it is also interesting to see how it develops on each rewrite. To ...more
Barry Simiana
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'ma big fan of Star Trek, especially the Original Series. Thsi is one of my - and I know at least a hundred people who agree - favourite episodes. It has laughs, conflict and highlighted characters usually just shown as bit players.

This book is the story of the birth of that show, how young writer faced heavy odds (even back then) and wrote one of the most memorable stories filmed for television. There are anecdotes that you won't find in regular fanzines, insights into the writing process itse
Elisabeth
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't know if I'm going to finish this one. It's very specific to TV writing which doesn't interest me that much. Also doesn't help counter the discouragement I got from Silverberg's Sci-Fi 101, which I otherwise loved; still we have someone reading every lick of sci fi available from a very young age, who started writing immediately, who has a degree in writing. Not Me. It's possible I have his gift, but I don't think reading his book is going to help me develop it. Orson Scott Card's Charact ...more
Dominick
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story of the making of this famous Star Trek episode, which is also the story of the beginning of Gerrold's career as a professional, is moderately engaging, but including the initial proposal, the first draft, AND the final script, seems like overkill, especially given how relatively little else there is. Or maybe that's why they are all included; without them, this would be too thin to justify publication as a book.
Michael Goth
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
It was interesting to see "The Trouble With Tribbles" go from a story outline to a finished television epiosde.I also just really like David Gerrold as a wrtier period so it was also interesting to see how he went about making his first professional sale. The book's biggest short coming is that there have been so mnany books written about the production of Star Trek there wasn't really anything special about this book,
John Moretz
I love this book.

David Gerrold gives us the inside scoop of what writing for Star Trek was like for a young college kid.

The first half of the book is devoted to various story ideas that were rejected. The core of the book is the "Trouble With Tribbles" teleplay, and it is a blast to read. Gerrold also discusses some script-doctoring work he did on "I, Mudd".

Beam this book into you collection as soon as possible.
Jim
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorites. It's the story of the making of one of the most popular episodes of the classic Star Trek and it's also a story of the birth of Gerrold's writing career. Made me feel good about being a writer. By the way, I've only read one other Gerrold book and have felt no compulsion to read any others.
Christopher
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would consider this as required reading for any Trekkie - the tale of how the (arguably) best loved episode came to be written. Hint: it was quite an unusual process at the time and would never happen now. This details not only several aspects of the TV business at the time but marks the entry of a successful writer into the public eye.
Valerie
This book was my introduction to Gerrold. I hadn't really paid attention to the authors of Star Trek episodes, until I read this.

One thing Gerrold notes is that he realized afterward that the tribbles bore a remarkable resemblance to the Martian flat cats from Heinlein's Rolling Stones, and that he apoligized to Heinlein, who basically said it was ok.
Jessika
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting look at the making of "The Trouble With Tribbles," even if fairly repetitive. Not a huge Star Trek fan myself (just haven't watched a lot of it), but definitely a helpful look at the behind-the-scenes portion of writing for TV.
Lori
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This is a fun read! I've always wanted to have a tribble but I don't own a castle and that's what you'd need if you wanted to own one. However, you'd need to keep buying new castles. I guess it's not feasible. Oh well, I tried. :D
Martin
one of the books that helped me to fall in love with "Star Trek" and with science fiction generally!
Leroy Brookens
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is practically a writer's handbook. It is very informative, nut also quite difficult to put down.
Valerie
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: a dying breed
Recommended to Valerie by: Mom
I remember finding the bits about the production fascinating. My students pick it up once and a while, even though I'm not sure any of them have ever seen an actual Star Trek episode.
Scott
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look inside the production of one of the greatest TV series of all time from the writer's perspective.
Ron
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: movies-tv
Fun for fans of classic Trek.
Dan Contrino
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
There was some great insight into Gene Coon, Star Trek's producer, and a bit about how Gerrold really helped develop the Chekov character. Other than that, it's pretty boring!
Red
Feb 18, 2010 added it
One of my favorite books about the making of Trek-TOS.
Steve Hendricks
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this again 41 years after I first read it. Back then there was so little Star Trek. This is still an interesting read even though there is plenty of Star Trek nowadays.
Beverly Culp
Very informational about how the show was created.
Glenn Mitchell
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read by the screenwriter of the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode from Star Trek. Definitely worth a couple of quick hours. Lots of laughs and chuckles.
Bill Gusky
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Author describes his experiences pitching, writing and watching the filming of an episode of the original Star Trek series. A blast for fans and probably fun for non-fans as well.
Nancy Gardner
May 27, 2015
Shauna
Sep 05, 2017
Dave
Apr 07, 2015
  • The Making of Star Trek
  • Star Trek 8
  • Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Star Trek Lives !
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
“Kirk: How close will we come to the nearest Klingon outpost if we continue on our present course?
Chekov: Vun parsec, sir. Close enough to smell them.
Spock: That is illogical, ensign. Odors cannot travel through the vacuum of space.
Chekov: I vas making a little joke, sir.
Spock: Extremely little, ensign.”
1 likes