Start by marking “The Price You Pay (Stargate SG-1, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Price You Pay (Stargate SG-1, #2)

The Price You Pay

(Stargate SG-1 (ROC) #2)

Based on one of the sci-fi channel's most popular shows -- book two in the series!

Colonel Jack O'Neill and his SG-1 team are suddenly stranded on a primitive world where the inhabitants pay homage to the Goa'uld by providing their best specimens as host bodies for their young. While a new payment is about to be sent, the team must rescue a terrified populace that does no
Mass Market Paperback, 199 pages
Published July 1st 1999 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about The Price You Pay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price You Pay

Helen
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The characterisation of our team was quite good, but the conclusion to the tale felt very rushed to me.
The premise reminded me a bit of 'The Hunger Games'. I think this probably came first, but I have to say I think Suzanne Collins did it better.
Adam
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Like with the other Stargate novels by this author there are a lot of inconsistencies and errors throughout the book, like descriptions of characters, dialogue and so on; but the actual plot is quite interesting and fairly easy to read.
Denise
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Another quick, fun read set in season 1. Reads pretty much like an average TV episode - entertaining but not outstanding. 3.5/5
Sir Nicho
Jun 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Only slightly better than the previous book by the same author. Would not recommend.
Katharine_Ann
This was a great SG-1 book to read. While some of the characters have slight inconsistencies, there were lines of dialogue that I could hear in the actors' voices. It really felt like I was reading an episode of the show and I thoroughly enjoyed. A fun read for any Stargate SG-1 fan.
Rosie Amber
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Price You Pay is a companion book to the Stargate TV series and provides a new mission for the SG-1 team. In this book they go to NPR76309 or M'kwethet as the locals call themselves. The gate is in the town square and the team are asked if they are messengers from the Goa'uld.

This planet of people do not fear the Goa'uld, they have chosen to serve them in return for peace. They provide regular amounts of servants and offerings to keep their peace. The planet are in fact preparing the next b
Andrew
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the second of my stargate novels - I will pin my colours to the mast and declare I am a fan of both the film and the TV series - however reading this book - didn't feel like either - the characters didn't feel right and in fact in key moments and conversations it was utterly wrong - it was like a pastiche where someone has tired to connect to characters but not quite. I don't want to give too much away but this didn't feel like the stargate I enjoy so much
Brian Turner
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The SG-1 team find themselves on a planet where the natives willingly give a tribute to the Goa'uld every two years.

Unable to make them allies in the ongoing war, they then find themselves stranded on the planet, with the Goa'uld about to come for the next tribute.

The author gets the characters just right, but the action doesn't start until nearly the end of the book, so there's lots of conversations about why the locals do what they do and being told that's wrong by O'Neill et al.
Jason
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Two stars only because it was Stargate SG-1. The story was riddled with errors, both with respect to the show, and with respect to it's self. Character names accidentally switched, paragraphs that seem out of place or don't make any sense. Plenty of jarring typos. This could have been a really interesting story if the novel had been edited properly.
Miss Clark
Best SG-1 book by McConnell. And that is not saying a whole lot, since that whole line of novels wasn't very impressive. I didn't feel that they grasped the dynamics of the team or the show very well, but this one was the best of the lot.
Gabriel Mero
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this original SG-1 story. the characterizations were all spot-on and I could hear the actor's voices when I read their dialogue. My only nitpick is that the ending was a tad rushed.
Natasha
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finished this years ago, when I was still at school.
John
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1fiction, box20
Being a fan of the series when I saw this had to read it - fun
Vampiress_demitri
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it
great plot
Douglas
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, stargate
A fun little book clearly written in the early days of the show. I really enjoyed the dynamics of SG-1 from the first few seasons.
Hope
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
I wish for a more closed ending than the book has, but it seems more realistic to end it the way McConnell did. Nothing in life ends perfectly, why should this story?
Catherine
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quick read. When I saw this in the store, I had to read it.
Kellyanne Higgins
Mar 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
More poor characterisation and another week plot for McConnell
Julie
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Stargate fans
Shelves: 2010, science-fiction
This is probably the best TV-show-to-book adaptation I've ever read. It really had the feel of watching an episode of SG-1. So, kudos to you, Ashley McConnell!
Tara
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was okay. It was kind of like reading really bad fanfiction though, as she didn't really know the voice of the characters and canon. I've read better.
Gene
Apr 24, 2014
Chris
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Matter of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #3)
  • Siren Song (Stargate SG-1, #6)
  • Survival of the Fittest (Stargate SG-1, #7)
  • Sacrifice Moon (Stargate SG-1, #2)
  • Relativity (Stargate SG-1, #10)
  • Roswell (Stargate SG-1, #9)
  • Four Dragons (Stargate SG-1, #16)
  • Do No Harm (Stargate SG-1, #12)
  • The Barque of Heaven (Stargate SG-1, #11)
  • Sunrise (Stargate SG-1, #17)
  • Retaliation (Stargate, #2)
  • Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • The Power Behind the Throne (Stargate SG-1, #15)
  • Valhalla (Stargate SG-1, #14)

Stargate SG-1 (ROC) (4 books)
  • Stargate SG-1 (Stargate SG-1, #1)
  • The First Amendment (Stargate SG-1, #3)
  • The Morpheus Factor (Stargate SG-1, #4)