Start by marking “Cuaquito (Little Quack)” as Want to Read:
Cuaquito (Little Quack)

Cuaquito (Little Quack)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,260 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Mama Duck had five little ducklings, Widdle, Waddle, Piddle, Puddle, and Little Quack. They all lived together in a nice, soft nest. But even Mama's littlest duckling was not so little anymore...

This great classic story is now available as an adorable board book in the Spanish language.
Board Book, 34 pages
Published January 26th 2010 by Libros Para Ninos (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cuaquito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuaquito

midnightfaerie
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I believe this is our first Lauren Thompson book, and we loved it. My preschoolers loved the counting lesson included, and my 5 yr old, who is learning to swim, loved the fear of the water part of it. Myself, I absolutely loved the names of the ducks, Widdle, Waddle, Piddle, Puddle, and Little Quack, and couldn't say them often enough. They were just fun to say! The illustrations helped out a great deal, with each little duckling having a very different and distinct look from his siblings, I par ...more
Samantha
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Cute. I prefer other duck stories, but I can see how this would spin off a series.
Marshall
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small ducks
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, and with a little bit of Math.
Shawn
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Here is the book that begins the adventures of a little duck called little quack. Little quack has great adventures as he explores his world for the first times and many of the adventures are about this little duck coming into contact with something for the first time. A great little series that is wonderfully illustrated. The little duck is fully animated with a Hugh range of facial expressions.
Larry Wegman
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A learning-to-count book on tape, to accompany the book of pictures, for young toddlers. Not that good, although I'm sure that my judgement is colored by the fact that it's not the book of the same title that was one of my favorites when I was quite young.
DeNae
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved reading this to all of my littles!
Olivia Eaton
Preschool - Duck and Duckling Storytime
Michelle
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little repetitive but cute art.
Jessica
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute book about overcoming fears.
Paul
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Count the little ones.
Valerie
Little Quack by Lauren Thompson & Derek Anderson (illus.) is the first book Ms. Thompson ever wrote about Little Quack and his brothers and sisters. There are currently four picture books and four separate board books with Little Quack in them. I really wish there were more because the whole series is adorable.

This book finds Little Quack and his siblings (Widdle, Waddle, Piddle, and Puddle) are learning how to swim in the pond they live next to for the first time. All of them are fearful at
Ruby
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counting
Such a cute story about playing hiding seek with the little ones. Little ducklings are hiding and at the same time, their moony is counting them as she finds them. There are 5 of them to start with. In the beginning she counts to ten so that the ducklings will have time to hide. I would love to use this book to teach math concepts.

Extension activity: Choose five little ducklings (children) to go hide. Count to ten and then go out looking for them saying where are my little ducklings?" And as you
Kim Palacios
This review refers to the Spanish language version. This is a great board book with cute illustrations and a useful bottom callout bar that makes the underlying math concepts of the boo more explicit. The plot deals with confidence-building: five ducklings must leave the nest for the first time to learn to swim around with their mother, but they must face their fears and leap out of the next into the water. Cuaquito, implicitly the smallest of his siblings, is the last of the five to take the pl ...more
Erica Nicol
Even though my child loves ducks, I hadn't expected this one to be such a hit. But she has asked for it every day for the last three weeks, and will often take it into a corner and "read" it by herself. The illustrations are lively, the story incorporates counting (and even some addition and subtraction), and the theme - that of overcoming the fear of trying something new - is one that will resonate with both parents and toddlers.

Is it my favorite thing to read over and over (and over) again? N
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This one was fun. My kids loved to hear it, and I enjoyed reading it. I liked making the voices and the splashy sounds.

"No, Mama, no!" ... "We're too scared!"
"You can do it," ... "I know you can." (I omit the he said/she said if the voices or context make it clear. It helps the flow of the story.)

The pictures are vibrant and cute. The body language and facial expressions are expressive, especially Mama and Little Quack's.

I totally omitted the counting. To me this was a lovely story about fami
Elisabeth
Cute. The story is ok. But I find it very clunky and awkward to add in the duckling counting as the book asks the reader to do. I think it either should have been written into the story, or just leave it up to the reader to add it in on their own in their discussions with their children as they read it. It's almost patronizing in a way that the author has to tell me how to point out the numbers of ducklings to my kids. But I just don't like read-aloud storybooks that have other things written on ...more
Marissa Reyes
The works of Little Quack by Lauren Thompson was written with the intentions of teaching children the number system. The author did a great job working with the illustrator to have as many figures in the picture as in the text so if children need to physically count out the figures in the picture to understand the text they have the ability to do so. The book also teaches children in the impressionable stage of childhood not to be afraid of things because parents will always be there to support ...more
jacky
I couldn't tell from this book that there are a whole series of books with this character. All of the ducklings seemed pretty much the same to me, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention as Natalie hounded me for snacks. This was read at preschooler story time today at the library, which we usually don't attend because Natalie is too young to sit still for so many longer books. The story follows five ducklings learning to leave the nest. It is also a little lesson in math, with a "quack ...more
Sabrina Acosta
Little Quack by Lauren Thompson pictures by Derek Anderson

Reading Level: 1.6
Interest level: PreK-K

Shelves: Concept book, picture book, animal, beginning reader, RED 315

This adorable children's book was too hard to put down. The way the pictures matched the text was incredible. I loved that at the bottom of the pages there was a "Quack-u-lator." It helps the children follow along and count how many ducklings got into the pond. I will be using this book soon for my beginning readers.
Drew Graham
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Little Quack and his four duckling siblings are happy in their nest, but when their mother decides it's time to learn to swim, they are hesitant, but one by one paddle their way into the pond.

This book is a combination of a lot of good things -- it's a counting book, it has a lot of character and colorful illustrations, and it's even a story about overcoming fears and growing up a little bit. The Boy (2.5) quite liked it, and enjoyed it as counting practice and just as a fun read-aloud book. (Th
Sydney Gulley
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230-b
The book Little Quack by Lauren Thompson and Derek Anderson is a counting/simple math book about ducks. Mama duck is trying to get her ducklings to jump into the pond and learn how to swim. They are all scared at first but one by one they jump into the pond and conquer their fears. The book counts with the ducks as they jump in and every time one more duck goes into the pond you would add 1 to the amount of ducks that were already in the water. This book also teaches a lesson of encouragement an ...more
Danielle Desmarais
-Very cute story about five ducklings who make their way out onto the water with their mama.
-Uses play-on-words and a fun "quack-u-lator" at the bottom to help count how many ducks are in the water.
-Also has some predictable phrases.
-Illustrations and the exciting story will definately grab children's attention.

-Could be a read-aloud at any grade level. Indivually reading may be harder with quotation marks and such, maybe around 2nd grade.
Theresa
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Quack
by Lauren Thompson
a kindergarten book
used to each the concept of daring to do something, each of little quacks brothers and sisters need to learn to swim, their mother calls them, one by one each duckling follows his mother on to the water, its Little quack who is last, and he is the most energetic of all his siblings.
it has some aspects of counting so good introduction to numbers
Angelina Justice
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my favorites for storytime. I have to find another copy that has the Quackulator. It's awesome. The character, Little Quack, is afraid to jump in the water and swim. One by one, his brothers and sisters make the jump. There is a quackulator at the bottom of each page that shows the subtraction of each duckling and the new total left.

Great story with fun names for each duckling, beautiful illustrations and a fun way to introduce subtraction to a Pre-K crowd.
Jared White
Really, I would give this 2 stars for text and 4 stars for illustrations, if I could. The pictures are great but I and my niece didn't care too much for the text. Even my niece got annoyed with how repetitive it was. I know some kids enjoy repetition, even said niece sometimes likes it but this one just wasn't a fav. You should check out the Mouse's First series, also by Lauren Thompson. The pictures are great and I enjoy the text, too.
Micayla Johnson
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
I chose this book because the picture on the front was really cute. It is a book that could be used in a preschool or kindergarten classroom. I read this with my two year old nephew who is learning his numbers and the counter at the bottom of certain pages was very helpful for him. Overall I really liked this book and I think its really good for younger kids. A good activity to do with this book would be to have them count little ducks along with you as its being read.
amy
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book? That small children LOVE repetition, night after night, over and over. My 4 year old daughter has requested this book at least once or twice a week for the last 2.5 years at bedtime. And usually more than one reading a night.
"You can do it! I know you can!" said mama duck to her little ducklings.
If I had a dime for every time I found myself saying that to my kid and then wanting to shoot myself because of the source, I'd be a rich woman.
Kristin Palumbo
In Little Quack, the mommy duckling was teaching her ducklings life lessons, by leaving the nest and jumping in the water. At first all of the little ducklings were scared to jump into the water. One by one jumped into the water, the littlest duckling was the last one to jump and was very frightened but then felt brave enough and did it. This book can used as a counting tool for students and help use their math skills.
Meg McGregor
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Lexi loves ducklings, loves learning, and the color yellow so this book is perfect for her.

Little Quack and his siblings are afraid to venture out of the nest into the pond. But with their Mother's gentle encouragement, they all eventually find the courage to take the first step into the big world.

I love the Quack-U-Lator.
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • One Duck Stuck
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Apple Farmer Annie
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • Gossie
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Mouse Mess