Start by marking “The Body” as Want to Read:
The Body

The Body

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  30,601 ratings  ·  1,197 reviews
From Different Seasons The Body, as a media tie-in for the movie starring River Phoenix, Kiefer Sutherland, Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman and Jerry O'Connell.
Audio CD, Unabridged, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Penguin Audio (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Body, please sign up.
Sharon There was one section in the book where you read a short story written by the main character as an adult. In it, sexually graphic situations were…moreThere was one section in the book where you read a short story written by the main character as an adult. In it, sexually graphic situations were described. In addition, the book contains a lot of "f" words and "f your mother (in this particular way)" type of talk. I wish there was less of that, because I think it would be a great book for middle or early high school students. With that said, I think a Junior or Senior in high school would be fine.(less)
Mariel No, the movie is toned down by removing a fairly graphic sex story within the story.

·  30,601 ratings  ·  1,197 reviews

Start your review of The Body
Nataliya
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's looking for a well-written character-based story

For all of those who keep insisting that Stephen King is a literary equivalent of Big Mac and fries, writing in the comfortable confines of the frequently-despised 'genre' - please take a look at The Body: The Fall from Innocence, which is much more familiar to public in the quite faithful adaptation by Rob Reiner - 'Stand by Me'.

It's not King's trademark horror; it is actually free of the constraints of any so-called 'genre'. It is a coming-of-age character-study novella set in 1960 Maine where monsters are
Matt
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King’s wonderful 1982 novella, which was transformed into the classic 1986 film, Stand By Me, four young boys to come of age over a weekend together. Set in 1960, the story takes place in the small town of Castle Rock, Maine, where twelve-year-old Gordie Lachance and his three friends are ready to set out to substantiate the rumours that the body of a missing boy has turned up near the next town. As the boys to begin their summer trek, they must come together to face winding train tracks, a ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

The premise is simple:

“Do you guys wanna go see a dead body?”

The end product is quite possibly the best coming-of-age story ever written. This is what the saying “boys will be boys” is about. It’s about going on an adventure, and saying swear words when out of your parents’ earshot, and trying a cigarette just so you can say you did, and standing up to bullies, and most of all it’s about friendship. Because really?

“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus,really?
simple:
Leo .
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well what can I say? What a great coming of age drama. King at his absolute best. When this story was made into a film Stand By Me with River Phoenix and Keifer Sutherland I thought there is no way they will make the movie as good as the book. Well I was wrong, the film is brilliant too.👍🐯

"So darling, darling, stand, by me, oooooooh! Stand, by me..."
Carol
I really liked the movie Stand By Me so I knew going in to expect a great read, but what I found was so much more.

The Body is a timeless coming-of-age story. Set in late summer of 1960's Maine, four twelve-year-old buddies, all with strangely abusive and dysfunctional families, take a longer than anticipated walking trip in hopes of seeing a dead body rumored to be hit by a train. As their many harrowing adventures and touching personal stories unfold, they run into big trouble with some older dudes, but rein vimore.

The
Erin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july-2019, king-me, movie
4.5 Stars

I LOVE the movie Stand By Me.

I don't know if its because its a great film(it is). Or if it's because I watched it around the same time, I watched movies like The Sandlot and My Girl. So in my mind I just equate them with summers in my childhood.

I haven't watched Stand By Me in probably over 15years, it was probably around the same time I read this book for the first time. I remember not really liking the book back then. I think it was the combination of it being a non-horr
Duane
This early Stephen King story was adapted into the 1986 movie Stand by Me. The setting is 1960s Maine where four young teens take a walking adventure trip looking for a dead boy's body. If you grew up in the 50s and 60s, this is the kind of stuff you would do, damn the consequences. Great story telling by a master story teller.
Glenn Rolfe
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beauty.
Not gonna lie, I teared up about Chris.
One of King's greatest stories.
Helga
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
“The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them. It’s hard to make strangers care about the good things in your life.”

Besides Charles Dickens and Ruth Hogan, Stephen King is one of the few authors I admire who has always been able to stir so many different emotions in me in a single book.

Any other author could have written the simple story of 4 adolescents, who decide to embark on a journey to see the body of another youth, who has been killed by a train. But not an
Elisabeth
5 stars
Simply amazing.
This was okay. I listened to it on audio, narrated by Frank Muller. I think this was my first time listening to him as a narrator, and I thought he was great.

The story itself was nothing special. It was very classic Stephen King, a coming of age story for four boys in Castle Rock, Maine. I was reminded a lot of IT- not because anything in the book was all that scary, but just because the boys seemed like they were doing a lot of the same things. (Walking train tracks through the woods, battling
Kerri
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This my second reading of The Body, and its just as powerful this time round, at times even more so because knowing how it ends changes how it reads, if that makes sense. It's strongly linked in my mind with the movie (Stand By Me), which really captured this story, I think. I picture Chris as he was portrayed by River Phoenix for example (the same goes for the rest of them). For me the movie blends perfectly with the book (in my mind at least). I think it is a story I'll return to many times, b ...more
J.C.
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movie
I feel like I just watched an audio-only version of the film "Stand By Me". Which makes sense as this was the original story that inspired the movie. And its surprising how much the movie not only followed the original story, but captured much of its spirit. Certainly the King version is much more vulgar and up front, but the wonder of youth and the harsh reality of time is there, in the film.

I've always wanted to read this. I've always been a huge fan of the film and was always curious as to K
Rachel
this was like a 2.5/3 for me. Sorry if you're really into it, lol. It had some really nice moments but otherwise I was kinda meh about it. Maybe if I had read a physical copy I would have had more of an emotional response to it.
Banny Carstairs
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We knew exactly who we were and exactly where we were going. It was grand"
Sam
The only other thing that I've ever read by Stephen King roughly the first 200 pages of Under The Dome. I gave up on it after I realized how vulgar the writing was. That was a while ago, and I have read many books since then, and my tastes have developed more. I decide to try out reading The Body because it was classified as young adult, and it might be less...
The book was perfectly fine, It was almost similar to the Outsiders. It was just shy of 200 pages, and if it was any longer, I would hav
Marie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The straightforward, but somehow magical recount of four boys looking for a body, sounds like it should be so much less than it is. The harsh reality of life, leaking out of a would-be romantic childhood adventure, lulls you into the wonder of youthful friendship, then slams you hard with the realization that life happens to everyone, and nothing about that is fair.
You wouldn't need to read between the lines for this to be a great story. King lays everything out for you, gut-wrenching but heart
Rebecca McNutt
The inspiration for the highly-rated 1986 film Stand By Me, The Body is different than Stephen King's usual writing. Unlike his gory horror novels, this short story is just a book about four misfit kids who go on a hike to find a rumored dead body downtown, but on the way, they learn about friendship and family and reputation, and they also learn the real meaning of death, and what once became an immature adventure they eventually see the seriousness behind.
Himanshu Karmacharya
"The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words make them smaller."
This is what I thought about when reviewing this book. Words cannot describe all the feelings it made me feel. It left me with a hole in my heart, as I cannot fathom how to cope, now that the book is over.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
With a Little Help from My Friends by The Beatles

What would you think if I sang out of tune
Would you stand up and walk out on me
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

What do I do when my love is away
Does it worry you to be alone?
How do I feel/>
What
Peter Derk
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When we visited my grandma, she had one VHS we watched all the time: Stand By Me.

It was like a ritual. Every time we visited, when it was time to find something to watch, that's what we watched.

It was like a ritual because I don't know how it started, and I don't remember the last time. But for years, it's what we did, and just the look of the movie reminds me of visiting her house.

It made a great movie for this sort of thing. When you're a kid, Stand By Me is just a little...advanced. Or it
Nicholas
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, the-king
The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them - words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they’re brought out. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have pe ...more
André Mwansa
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite by this author. .......
Scott Semegran
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I’ve read this novella and my love for it has not diminished one bit. But for this review, I wanted to take a closer look at the structure of the story and try to discover why I love it. Structurally, this novella is flawed. There are some things about it that I do not like at all and detract from the overall plot and narrative. But even with its flaws, it is an amazing story with literary flourishes and fully-formed characters. It has a touch of nostalgia and reveals an e ...more
Hafsa Sabira
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This short story is beautiful beyond description. Where do I even start?

At first,I must put a few words about the cover and the title. In our literature classes we were often required to analyse the cover pictures and the titles and were asked to find their relation with the content of the book. If that's the case with this book, it's just about 100% perfectly matched with the context. See how it's 4 boys walking along a railway track? That's pretty much the whole story right there.<
Jane Stewart
Engaging wonderful experience watching and listening to some twelve-year-old boys. But the ending was a downer.

This novella was first published in the anthology “Different Seasons.” It is available individually as an audiobook, which is how I heard/read it. This review is solely for The Body, not the others in the anthology. The Body was also made into the movie “Stand By Me.”

This is a novella, but it didn’t feel like a short story. The characters were wonderfully develop
Fred
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello, welcome to another episode of Fred-Reviews-Books-Literally-Five-Minutes-After-He-Finished-Them!
After taking a very quick break from the (still very good) book I am currently reading, I started Stephen King's The Body last night and finished it just now.
I could not stop myself from reviewing it immediately; maybe a sign of how good it was!

The Body, or Fallen from Innocence (alternate title), is the novella which inspired the very well-known, revered film Stand By Me. It follows four/>The
Kelsey
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but I just couldn't get fully into this. I really wanted to as the film is one of my favourites. But I just couldn't. I found myself skimming a lot of it and even skipping large chunks. It was still really well written and I know the story is a good'un, so I really have no idea why I couldn't get into. Maybe the film overshadowed it too much or something? I don't know.

But I did like the fact that the ending gave you more details on everyone's futures. I'm still not really sure
lyss
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being such a huge fan of the movie adaptation (I literally used to restart the movie over and over again as soon as it ended), I just had to see what the story would be like. The adaptation stays very true to the original story, and I especially appreciated that when it came to the dialogue. Getting to read the words and hearing the kids in the movie say them in my head was awesome. The story was full of so much detail for a short story, I felt like a read a full length, 300 paged book. I love t ...more
Crys
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's funny, sometimes, how you can build an impression of an author early in your life and then, based on that impression, avoid their books. I always thought that SK's books were too scary, too gory, too dark for me to enjoy so I never bothered with them. However, over the last year or so, I've started reading his novellas and his newer releases. I'm never disappointed. This book is no exception. I remember the movie Stand By Me well, and the book is even better with an ending that left me so s ...more
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 4 May 09, 2019 09:03PM
Bone + Oak Forskolin 1 3 Jul 03, 2018 01:03AM
Body Boost Garcinia 1 2 Nov 13, 2017 04:08AM
Body Dynamix 1 1 Nov 02, 2017 05:08AM
Frequent Errors in strength training is not a fresh cause. 1 1 Oct 22, 2017 10:36PM

• The Breathing Method
  • The Long Walk
  • Road Rage
  • Roadwork
  • Feux follets, mandragore et cadavre frais (Fingus Malister, #1)
  • Vengo prima io: Guida al piacere e all'orgasmo femminile
  • Le Ghetto intérieur
  • The Saturday Night Ghost Club
  • I racconti del terrore
“The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are things you get ashamed of, because words make them smaller. When they were in your head they were limitless; but when they come out they seem to be no bigger than normal things. But that's not all. The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried; they are clues that could guide your enemies to a prize they would love to steal. It's hard and painful for you to talk about these things ... and then people just look at you strangely. They haven't understood what you've said at all, or why you almost cried while you were saying it.” 340 likes
“Love isn’t soft, like those poets say. Love has teeth which bite and the wounds never close.” 126 likes