Start by marking “The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)

The Perfect Waltz

(The Merridew Sisters #2)

He came in search of a convenient bride...

London's Ball of the Season is hardly the milieu for society black sheep Sebastian Reyne. But his younger sisters are in desperate need of care, and Sebastian is seeking a practical, down-to-earth wife. What he doesn't need is an effervescent sprite like Hope Merridew, a dazzling beauty and the darling of the ton.

...And found love
Mass Market Paperback, 341 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Waltz, please sign up.
BJ We do get to catch up with them, and Charity and Edward, almost at the end of Book 2. It is only a brief glimpse and part of the HEA for the next coup…moreWe do get to catch up with them, and Charity and Edward, almost at the end of Book 2. It is only a brief glimpse and part of the HEA for the next couple. (less)

Start your review of The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)
Jilly
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Usually a bubbly female character who loves to dance, wear frilly dresses, flirts, and smiles all of the time would drive me to drink. Not that that's a long ride. Really, shortest trip ever. But, I loved Hope in this book. She has suffered terrible abuse as a child and yet embraces life to the fullest now that she's free. Instead of cowering and becoming bitter over her past, she is determined to enjoy her present. I actually like this girl.

Ok. I get it.

Sebastian, our guy, is looking for a wife
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Okay Richard Armitage is so Sebastian Reyne in this book. I am like Hope. Sebastian is giving me the shivers. He is dark and brooding, and totally yummalicious. Why are so many of my favorite heroes named Sebastian? What a coinkidink!

This was a touching book. There are multiple scenes that made me tear up, and I don't typically do that while I'm reading. I just loved Sebastian. He was this big, brawny guy who was as soft as a marshmallow inside. His heart is so full of love, but he felt that he
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
Okay so for a change, I’m reading a series in the correct order.
Having read the highly humorous first book I was hoping for more of the same but this book is different... more mushy, even cheesy. I enjoyed it but some parts dragged, especially where the story veered away from the h/H or his sisters.
And so the first one is still my favorite!

The cit and the diamond of the season fall in love at first sight. While he fights it, as he wants a sensible, responsible wife who can take care of his troub
Mei
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This was such a sweet romance!

I loved both Hope and Sebastian!

Hope was just like her name: a person who brings hope in other people lives! She was so optimistic and basically good that it could become too much, but here it was just perfect! I loved her view on life, her indignance towards the way orphan girls were treated, her way of expressing her thoughts and her opinions! It was just wonderful!

I loved Sebastian too. He was such a sweet guy! And his love for his sisters were great! Also his in
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts:
• Like the 1st book, the background of the characters are so heart-wrenching. In this case, Sebastian’s background is literally so sad, and it explains why he goes so far to make a good life for his sisters.
• Giles is a surprise. He is such a supportive friend and hilarious character. Also, (view spoiler)
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5

Hope Merridew was the reason I waited this long to continue with this series. She was selfish and not very likeable in the first book. I really needed some time to get over her behaviour there. I was hoping this book, since it's her story, will give us more insight into her character. It did that and more.
Hope is forgiven completely. The hero, her sisters and their problems are what Hope needed to shine.
If you want lots of angst and drama, I'm afraid this isn't a book for you. These two real
ChloeLeeNH
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very sweet... I wish the steam factor was more but the plot was good and kept moving... felt like some of the discussions could have happened earlier but then the story would have been over right LOL? I still have to read #3 but I think of the 3 I have read so far that the last one The Perfect Kiss is still my favorite. But now I have to hunt down The Perfect Stranger!
ARomanceLover
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
My favorite part of the book was actually the secondary character romance. I enjoyed the hero's friend Giles very much. I also thought this book should have ended 50 pages earlier than it did. There kept being very final sentences and then it would keep going and going. Though I liked the way it ended up the last third could have been trimmed with no issues.
Lorka
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was finally able to track this book down, and I am glad that I did. It was a very sweet, easy to read story. All characters involved were well written and easy to root for. The steam factory was a little low and didn't kick in until towards the end, but what drives the story is more so the light drama going on. The only thing that prevented it from being a 5-star for me was that once the H and h admitted their love to each other, it became sickeningly sweet. Like, honey sugar looms sweetie pie ...more
BJ
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
Sweet story, with H determined to have a MOC - for his sisters sake. He starts to court a sad sack of lady, but his friend is falling for her. When the H sees the h, he thinks her spoiled and denies his attraction. The h has a sad story, but is very brave and lives passionately. This is a nice story where everyone has a story, and are more than they seem. I loved how sweetly the h helped to reveal some awful truths to help the H save his sisters.
Katherine
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fine entertaining read, but a couple of the secondary characters were too distracting and the actual romance between the h/h lasted for maybe 15 pages
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
2.5, decent but I already forgot about it. tbh I was a little bored, but I'm looking forward to Grace's book she's the only one I care about
Iliada
What's wrong with this series that I need a week to find some time to review the books?

Anyway, The Perfect Waltz is a sweet, solid romance from beginning to end. Remember when I said in my review of the Perfect Rake that Hope was the least favorite of my sisters? (Well I'm not sure these were my exact words, but this is what I meant) Delete that! I was so wrong! Hope is a truly, profoundly good person and I love her (almost) as much as Prue.

The hero's name is Sebastian! Do I need anything more
Olga Godim
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Enjoyable as always. Anne Gracie, I love you.
The heroes of this regency romance are Hope and Sebastian. She is a beautiful and spoiled young lady, the belle of the London season. Her childhood was steeped in misery, but she is past the horror of her past and determined to enjoy herself. Young aristocrats swarm around her, but the moment Sebastian appeared on the fringes of a ballroom, she is aware of him. He doesn’t look or behave like the man of her dreams but he attracts her like nobody else.
Kathleen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm in a re-reading frame of mind. This is Anne Gracie's BEST, in my view. I adore Sebastian. He is....sigh worthy. Silent, protective, passionate, tender, stubborn, noble, and yearning for love, though he doesn't know it.

No elegant Englishman, Sebastian Reyne is built like a boxer: "His chest was solid, and hot, and exquisitely different from hers. She scratched his skin lightly with her nails, and he groaned deep in his throat, shuddering under her hand."

"Heat radiated from him, and she coul
Zumbagirl
So happy to visit with the Merridew sisters again! This one really caught my attention - which is almost a miracle these days. I loved both Sebastian and Hope. Anne Gracie does a great job of having serious problems in the book, but it not becoming overly sad and depressing. Both H and h have terrible pasts but absolutely love their sisters. Sebastian is much older than his two sisters, who he has recently been reunited with. Watching how patient, loving and protective he was of them just made w ...more
Alexa
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
So many feelings, and all of them lovely ones. Thoroughly enjoyed getting to read Hope and Sebastian's romance, and loved that other members of their family and friends were a big part of that.
Patricia
After having devoured The Perfect Rake, I instantly knew that I had to read more Anne Gracie. So on I went, and read The Perfect Waltz. And it was great.

After having finally found his sisters again, but being unable to help them cope with their trauma (or finding a good nanny to do just that), the hero Sebastian goes on to look for a sensible wife in London. He decides that Rational Elionore would do. But then comes Hope, and she's the Best Thing That Has Ever Happened. (Also, his friend Giles,
Els
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the serie. And it is again a subliem book of Anne Gracie. It reads very easy. It is almost impossible to put it down, you just want to finish it in one time. (But that is not always possible) This is again a book that I can recommand.
You can read it on its own but for the story it is better if you read them in the correct order. Because in this book there are references to the past of Hope. And the story of the 4 sisters is more detailed descripted in the first book. W
babyfishmouth
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This could have easily been a five star read if it had been edited down some and remained more focused on Sebastian and Hope. I found both secondary romances a bit uninteresting and I could have done with fewer pages devoted to the young sisters.

The heroine Hope was just shy of being too perfect but I adored her honesty and joy for life. Sebastian got a little irritating with his inability to switch gears once it became abundantly clear that Plan A wasn't working. He seemed to spend a lot of ti
Insh
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Silence propagates itself, and the longer talk has been suspended, the more difficult it is . . .
SAMUEL JOHNSON
Erin Arkin
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Aneca
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Last year I read The Perfect Rake and had great fun with Prue and Gideon’s witty dialogues. Since then I’ve been looking forward to it’s sequels. The Perfect Waltz is the second book, about Hope Merridew.

I also enjoyed this one very much although I didn’t find it as light as the previous book. The hero, Sebastian, has come to London in search of a wife. He feels a wife would be the solution to his sisters problems. The two young girls grew up separated from him and the older one is a rebel and t
kris
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I mostly liked this!

The one thing that bothered me, slightly, was the infallibility of Hope. Her methods, her ideology, her approach to life, were all presented as The Best and it rather grated, especially after she gives Elinore a midlife crisis and then kind of just...flounces off with Elinore's beau and the respect of her orphans.

It just grated, a tad.
SidneyKay
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-regency
Silly me, I have so many projects that I start, and then forget that I'm doing them. As part of my 2018 All About Romance project, I read a delightful book by Anne Gracie called The Perfect Rake. I loved it, but I didn't read the rest of the books in the series...I don't know why, but now I have. I will congratulate myself, because the rest of the books in the series were pretty good…mostly.

Since I already reviewed The Perfect Rake, I will start with The Perfect Waltz written in 2005. This stor
Duanur
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
*3.5*

Even though the first book was funnier, I enjoyed this book more. I loved the main characters especially Sebastian. Maybe because I always love the cold, silent heroes. I wanted to give him a hug throughout the book. Hope was also amazing. She was so full of life and she wasn't angsty at all -a good change tbh-

I didn't really like the second romance story though. I just couldn't feel their chemistry. They didn't even feel like friends to me let alone in love. Also, for some reason, even tho
Rebekah
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"She’d never met anyone like him. He was such a collection of contradictions. Public self-possession and private shyness. Physical strength tempered with rigid gentleness."

In book 2, we follow Hope's story of realizing her dream of the perfect dance (its a waltz okay, thats in the title).

As in book 1, the Merridew sister's story is heavy with hardship and suffering. Book 2 brings new suffering in Sebastian Reyne and his sisters. It is a beautiful tale of people forming community and connection d
Ren
Reviewed on Words in a teacup

(TW: contains mentions of child abuse.) I probably would have given this three stars if I hadn't enjoyed the first book so much. Unfortunately I did; I loved Prue's story and so I started this book with pretty high expectations, wanting to read more about the Merridew sisters. This time the story revolves around one of the twins, Hope, who's pretty and loves dancing and laughing. Sebastian Reyne wants to marry so his orphaned sisters will have a mother figure, and he
Ruth
Okay.
So.
This book is not good. Like, I knew within the first chapter that this book was not good, and yet, I read the whole thing. And you want to know why? Because I had read a review saying that the hero, Sebastien Reyne, was totally Richard Armitage.
And they were right.
I have a huge crush on Richard Armitage. Shut up. It's not like you don't have an unrealistic celebrity crush, too.
However, it was not just Richard Armitage, but Richard Armitage playing John Thornton in North & South. AND JOHN
Denise
Sebastian Reyne leaves his country home and his two very troubled little sisters to find a wife that can help him raise his sisters. He enlists the help of his friend Giles to introduce him to Lady Elinore, an older spinster who fits his list of qualifications, never mind that she is very stern, cold and only wears grey.
At the ball, he sees Hope Merridew and is completely mesmerized by her. He fights his deep attraction to her as he thinks she is one of those spoiled ton society girls who woul
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Diabolical Baron (Davenport, #1)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • The Duke and the Wallflower (The Unwanted Dukes Book 1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • Wicked in His Arms (Wedded by Scandal, #2)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • The Truth About Cads and Dukes (Rescued from Ruin, #2)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Bringing Down The Duke: The Wedding Story
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich

The Merridew Sisters (4 books)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • The Perfect Kiss (The Merridew Sisters, #4)