Start by marking “The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey” as Want to Read:
The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey

The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey

(One Minute Manager)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,161 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
When a person goes to the boss with a problem and the boss agrees to do something about it, the monkey is off his back and onto the boss's. How can managers avoid these leaping monkeys? Here is priceless advice from three famous experts: how managers can meet their own priorities, give back other people's monkeys, and let them solve their own problems.
Published 1989 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey

Daniel Taylor
Managers who use David Allen's "Getting Things Done" approach to managing their workflow will find this book instructive on how to use the same approach in managing employees.

The "monkey" in the title is defined as the "next move" and is separate from the project. Allen built on this with his "next action", the next step you can take toward completing a project that has no other steps before it. In "The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey", Blanchard offers a system for getting those next moves
Indraroop
Oct 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
TL;DR: identify delegation opportunities and delegate. Help your team members grow by giving them responsibility and use your time on problems that are yours.

But then again, why write two sentences when you could write an insufferably long book instead?
Sara Phelps
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a management book I can recommend whole-heartedly. It was super quick and easy to read, and I got some real-world, applicable tidbits out of it. The monkey metaphor sticks in your memory. Seriously, I applied it the next day at work and offloaded some stress-producing monkeys. It was awesome.
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Years ago, I had read The One Minute Manager and thought it was good but hadn't thought about it in years. Then, one day, I was in a meeting when one of my peers mentions this book about monkeys and I was like what? Whatever. Honestly, I didn't really think much about it since I had read the first one, thought it must have been the same book and kind of dismissed it.

Then, a few weeks later something happens and I've got this issue and I need one of the execs to help me with it. At the end, the
Heather
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Good points, over-explained.
Josh
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the concepts discussed in the book. I think oftentimes I find myself picking up other people's monkeys and completing them. I think the most crucial part of this book for me in my personal life will be letting my child(ren) deal with their monkeys as far as possible before I intervene (if ever).

Monkey = the next move

Oncken’s Rules of Monkey Management

The dialogue between a boss and one of his or her people must not end until all monkeys have:

1. Descriptions – The “next moves” are identif
Claudia
Mar 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'll be honest and say I didn't actually finish this book. I think there is only one other book on my list that holds that distinction. I found it terribly elementary, embarrassingly so. It's the easiest book to summarize. Ready? Here it is: Delegate.

That's it. I just spared you 144 pages of reiteration laced with simplistic anecdotal examples that no one could possibly find enlightening. I'm concerned that anyone already in the workplace or anyone over 22 could.

Obvious "strategies" aside, I re
Janet
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for somebody in my company, and like all good books, read it before I passed it on.

This book is humorous and gives you lots of practical ideas for how to respond to efforts by your subordinates and colleagues to delegate their work and responsibility to you. You will learn how to see them coming and to keep the monkey where it belongs: with them.

If you find that you are pressed for time, this book is an important source of ideas to free up your life to have less stress while
Renate
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is aimed at managers, but I think it is useful for parents, team members, people in counseling; really anyone, because you just might pick up other people’s chores or projects because you think it will move things along better or easier or faster. Even if that’s a right assumption, you might create your own pitfall this way.

The examples in this book mostly cover the role of the manager, but give this book a try if you think you sometimes are too helpful for your own good. The message i
Chinara Ahmadova
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One book cannot be that much straightforward and easy-read! Great, useful and practical advice for everyone - from business to family on being more effecient in life and galvanizing people around you.
Otsu yee
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definately a must read for anyone who "can't say no" when asked to take on a task that isn't theirs.
Kevin Anderson
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very quick read. It's to the point and has good advice on prioritization and making sure the work you're doing isn't work someone else could be doing better.
Jos
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
Blanchard ( situational leadership) meets Ocken ( monkey management) and the result is a funny small book that tells the story of a unhappy manager who thanks to insights gathered from the Blanchard methodology ( the one minute manager) realizes that he has to manage his tasks ( monkeys) differently. Excellent to read during a medium long flight and ponder on your own situation: how many monkeys do I have that I really have to bring back to their owners? Thanks to the read of some 150 pages one ...more
Mark
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The heart of this book is to empower people by not doing their work, e.g. delegate. During meetings there are "monkeys" (e.g. tasks) which will end up on someones back. A fatal mistake made by managers is that they hold onto the "monkeys" when they have their team members wait for the manager to review a plan, provide feedback on a proposal, "clean up" the document, etc. This is fundamentally dis-empowering. I read this book during a time when I felt overwhelmed by work. I was trying to mentor a ...more
Lori-Lisa Van Gelder
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audioboek. Zeer herkenbare situatie: je promoveert tot teamlead en vervolgens neem je alle grote problemen van je team op je. Dit stapelt zich op en op en op en jij bent degene die de bottle neck voor doorstroming is waardoor er minder tijd is voor je "echte" werk. Of je priveleven.

Blachard schrijft al zijn boeken op een kinderlijke manier vol met (dierlijke) metaforen (which you hate or love), maar dit maakt de boodschap (laat je team de problemen oplossen, daar heb je ze immers voor aangenome
Christian
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting way of describing delegation and work tasks (as monkeys).

It leaves you with some interesting insights. You should actually aim to make yourself obsolete and remove yourself from operational tasks, although it also points out the weakness in not being in touch with the frontline anymore. So, in essence, it lays a good foundation for how organisations become detached from the reality.
Kristen Spencer
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
It had some very good points and revelations. However, it did not assist with describing how to have the hard conversations of transferring the monkeys back to their rightful owners. It also seemed somewhat harsh and did not seem to foster empathy. The ideas are something to think about, but I am not sure how well this would be truly put in action.
Himani
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read ! Definitely an eye opener. Highly recommended for All the budding managers , parents , team mates and those who have all the time in the world to pick up and complete other people's work.
D.J. Hamon
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With focus on delegation, this leadership parable is a good addition to the genre and series of short leadership books. Good for reinforcement of principles, but for some, a more in-depth study of personal boundaries may be necessary to achieve change and proficiency.
Jingyun Li
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an easy read but has so many useful information and tips. Don't take on a monkey if it is not your problem. Delegating doesn't mean that you are lazy; on the contrary, you can inspire and encourage others to innovate and bring out their best if you are delegating in the right way.
Ahmed Al sanhani
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed by the simplicity of the management techniques explained in this book. They are simple to comprehend yet hard to implement in the real life. However, repetition is the key of perfecting these techniques.
Suhail Khaled
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book. Helps you in getting time from the tasks in hand.
Mr. Shits
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good advise handling responsibility when supervising employees.
Urvish Patoliya
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Must read for all the managers out their .
It narrates the time management skill by managing the monkeys(next moves).
Many take home points.

Paweł Kołkowski
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Get things done's next action is here the monkey. key idea is to make your people independent, able to be responsible for solving their problems.
Myra
اااا
نمم
Richard Gregory
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Good to start with, and many managers will recognise the challenge being address. However, the tone of its recommendations can be pretty brutal.

It also uses the word "Monkey" way too much.
Jason
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great, quick read. Deals with delegation of tasks and authorities.
Bill
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Was asked to read this for work. Could be 1/10th as long and just as effective. Full of common sense ideas restated & explained numerous times.
  • The One Minute Sales Person: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader
  • The Empowered Manager: Positive Political Skills at Work
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • What Matters Most: The Power of Living Your Values
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Execution Premium
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The Time Trap
  • Management Tips: From Harvard Business Review
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • How to Make Love All the Time: Make Love Last a Lifetime
  • Collaboration: How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Build Common Ground, and Reap Big Results
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams