Start by marking “Inside America's Concentration Camps: Two Centuries of Internment and Torture” as Want to Read:
Inside America's Concentration Camps: Two Centuries of Internment and Torture

Inside America's Concentration Camps: Two Centuries of Internment and Torture

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Xenophobia, paranoia, and racism have long challenged democracy, a battle played out dramatically in the concentration camps that were built, staffed, and filled with adults and children under the orders of the U.S. government. Beginning in the nineteenth century with the imprisonment of Native Americans, camps reappeared during World War II with the roundup of Japanese Am ...more
Published June 24th 2010 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Inside America's Concentration Camps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside America's Concentration Camps

Fredrick Danysh
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: political
The author uses stories of the American Indian reservations and World War II interment camps for ethnic Japanese as well as from the Nazi concentration camps in an attempt to argue against the detention of foreigners who enter the United States illegally.
Jon
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book was well researched and well written; however, I don't agree with the left-leaning politics of the author. I am very interested in the topic of the internment of Japanese people in the USA during the 1940s.
Drew
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, well researched and very informative. A part of American history that most don't know or care to understand but very important.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that primarily deals with the various internments during World War II. This one covers the full spectrum, though, covering persons of Japanese ancestry, Germans and Italians. Most of what reads about the internment concerns the Japanese Americans so the addition of learning about what happened to the Germans and the Italians is good.

This is also a book that deals with factual details but at the same time ties them in to specific examples of what happened to certain people and that
Naomi Blackburn
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read about 5 books on the internment camps during WWI and WWII. Hands down, this is the best book I have read, thus far. The indepthness that the author goes into I have not seen in other books. Furthermore, he has "survivors" personal accounts which I have never seen before in books I have read on this subject. I can't wait to read his books Devil's Sanctuary: An Eyewitness History of Mississippi Hate Crimes and Dixie's Dirty Secret: The True Story of How the Government, the Media, and t ...more
Mercia McMahon
An interesting take on the infamy of the US government sending 120,000 Japanese Americans into concentration camps in the immediate wake of the Pearl Habor attack. Dickerson sets this in the context of concentration camps for Native Americans (as part of the forced removal of tribes in Eastern states), Germans, Italians, and Jews during World War 2, camps planned during the Korean War, camps for asylum seekers, and Guantanamo Bay. The most harrowing example was 1000 Nazi concentration camp survi ...more
Melissa
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very in-depth look at concentration camps, beginning with reservations. I hadn't considered reservations to be concentration camps before, but it makes total sense. The book briefly discusses concentration camps that are still being built, but I really expected this to be discussed more than it was. All in all, very insightful.
Vicki
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kudos to the author, I look forward to reading his other books. Comprehensive history of concentration camps in America. Very disturbing. It seems we are not learning from our past. The last two chapters left me shaking and physically ill.
Allison Archer
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent accounting of forcibly segregation in America. It presented a frightening portrayal of personal stories, while also exposing racism in government as the root of these facilities. It was well researched and written in a comfortable style.
!Tæmbuŝu
Aug 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
KOBOBOOKS

Reviewed by Blogcritics
Amy
For some odd reason, this book never truly captured my attention. I ended up reading pieces and parts and not even skimming others.
Karen