Start by marking “The Sensualist” as Want to Read:
The Sensualist

The Sensualist

I had only one talent, you know. Misuse a gift, and you destroy it... "But the world isn't exclusively a place for the pursuit of sensual pleasure." "No, But I was a sensualist. There was nothing else I could pursue." The sensualist is the story of a man enslaved by his libido and spiralling towards self-destruction. Gripping, erotic, even brutal, the book explores the dem ...more
Published 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Sensualist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sensualist

Vikalp Trivedi
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know that whether communal/religious intolerance is going on in India or not , but I am now confirmed that there is a "Creative Intolerance" going on in India for a very long period of time . The Indian cinema is one of the victims of this intolerance . People claim that they want to watch something new , something different but when they get something different or new they reject it .

For instance a film released last year called 'Roy' , I know the film was not perfect but it was not as
Asha Seth
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
‘Perhaps, perhaps. But nothing else human or divine, could help me. I had only one talent, you know. Misuse a gift, and you destroy it. And when I lost mine, I turned my back on the world and all it stood for.’
‘But the world isn’t exclusively a place for the pursuit of sensual pleasure.’
‘No. But I was a sensualist. There was nothing else I could pursue.”

***********************************************
When the book ends tailing this note, you can hardly believe it to be the end.

With The Sensualist
Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books)
Introduction:

This is short novel, which runs for 120 pages. This book was first published in 'Debonaire' and was charged with the obscenity in Mumbai during the time of emergency. Marathi play writer Vijay Tendulkar become witness on this case. Later Judge found nothing obscene in this book and honourably acquitted Ruskin Bond.

Plot summary:

The story starts somewhere in Kapila, where a traveller took shelter to a cave. The man, ascetic who resides in the cave narrated his journey from a richer
Ritu Raveendran
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indian-authors
The Sensualist is the story of a man tormented by his own desire for women both physically and mentally.

It is the story of a man who claims to have been a sexual predator but has lost all his ego, glory and appetite after being overpowered by a stronger woman .

It is the an Ex Sex Addict basically who now lives by himself far away from the civilisation.

I have read and adored the stories of Ruskin Bond all through my growing up stage and can't help but be awed by the beautiful and apt descriptions
Sarba Roy
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the brutal demons rise from hedonistic indulgence in sense pleasures. This book brings out this aspect beautifully.

A must read for those who are in an eternal power struggle with their demons within.
Anu
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Being a Ruskin Bond fan comes naturally when one is Indian. We all grew up on his short stories and novels which can be classified in the YA category. "Sensualist" came out of nowhere as a rude shock. The moment i saw the name of the book and the author, I had to buy it. I wanted to know if our favourite author when we were kids could write something for us when we became adults.

I could not gather any discernible plot from the book and was rather surprised to know that he was in quite a legal m
Kirti Tarang
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
For day dreamers. Read if you're in touch with your darker side. Read for sensual escapism (Readers of Mr. Grey & Jackie Collins will be disappointed). Don't even think of reading it if you're looking for anything more. Or maybe, just read to meet the other side of Ruskin Bond. In fact, this novella is meant only for Ruskin Bond fans.
Vrsh
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The four stars depict my awe of the author...Mr. Bond had been far ahead of his time when he wrote the book...and given the incidents he had to face, upon having written the book...my respect for him rises tenfold...salute to d master storyteller for all ages
Manjiri
Quite a departure from his usual repertoire. But an interesting read, nonetheless.
Harshit Gupta
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not a typical Ruskin Bond book. But the way he has written it, it's interesting. Won't say more. In case u r planning to read.

Warning: Adult content.
Sandeep
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Story of a 19th century cave dweller narrating his sensual exploits, nothing much gained or lost on reading this book,

Rating 3/5
Pankaj Suneja
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It is interesting that enigmatic reclusive loses his charm when the faults in him are exposed. The sensualist is different kind of book for Ruskin Bond and he does not tell the story from first person but he meets a stranger on the way who courageously narrates his obsessions. I felt it was unfair in the end for reclusive to be judged based on life he lived. But that’s the purpose wanted to convey that sexual obessessions actually are self-destructed. One can find Ruskin’s beautiful and vivid de ...more
Reddhi
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quirk surprise from The Indian Bond.I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this book.Leaving his well known attire of Sensitivity and Subtlety, the author dawns the magic robes of Sensuality to make another compelling read.This book is for you if you do not mind some sensual vanities.
abhishek dutta
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wanted a long one but it seemed to be so volatile in reading but made an impact everlasting
Sankrutyayan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
‘The body of a woman is an inexhaustible source of wonder and delight.’- I agree to that. The most beautiful and mysterious thing which has about it an incomprehensible delight whenever one pursues it. I regard this feeling of enticement as gender-neutral.

It is highly unlikely if not mentioned in advance that the author of this book is Ruskin Bond to predict it to be him. This is the dark side and the narration was categorical. I am amazed how Bond described everything in a sensual way. Some ac
Rozeena R
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Rozeena R by: person
NOT a typical Ruskin Bond wonder.... Only those who know Mr Bond would be able to digest this without grumbling, as it needs a very high sense of maturity to absorb the elucidation of this book. I don't feel nice giving only 2 stars to a Ruskin Bond work, but the rating is only a personal opinion on the story (may be I am not matured enough to take in what the writer wanted to convey) and has got nothing to do with the writer's writing style & flair. I got it delivered from Amazon on 18th Ap ...more
Kushagra
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The Sensualist, is a unique novel by Ruskin Bond. For the first time he has explored on the dark sensual side of human nature. The writer shows the maturity of his thoughts and it would be hard to find another novel which explores the erotic aspects of human nature with such simplicity and without giving away too much. Meant for mature readers, it's a must read for Ruskin Bond fans.
Rahul Rajendran
Jun 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was the first Ruskin Bond work that I've ever read. To say the truth i wish I hadn't...One of the worst works I've read...utterly boring. Apart from the narrative part of the mountains there isn't nothing much to read about....wouldn't even recommend it to die hard Ruskin Fans.
Sayantan Ghosh
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The oddest book from the Bond stable, where the grand old man is not-so-old and relates a semi-autobiographical tale of carnal desires that I'm sure would have made Khushwant Singh sit up and take notice on publication.
Manasi Hate
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!..Amazing story of a man who later becomes a Ascetic..After reading this book one knows as why it is said to be a "Must Have" book of Ruskin Bond.Outstanding narration.A book one should read once in their lifetime.
Suman
Ashokee
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
unfortunately this is not Mr. Bond's forte
Shreya Ghosh
Its a must read book for all Ruskin bond lovers! even with his sensual and erotic writing there is a deep rooted moral and lot of thoughtfulness in the story.
a great read altogether.
Manas Patnaik
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
One more feather in his cap........Not usual BOND......But he takes you to the hills and mountains which is absolutely inescapable....
Binoy
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
my first encounter with Bond..loved his style
C.R. Narayanan
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Never expected this from Ruskin Bond. I think, this is the worst book he had ever authored. Disappointing!
Abhishek Dey
Aug 12, 2017
Subhajit Pratihar
rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2019
  • ঐতিহাসিক কাহিনী সমগ্র
  • The Music Room
  • The Serpent and the Rope
  • The Royal Bengal Mystery and Other Feluda Stories
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi