Start by marking “The Sensualist” as Want to Read:
The Sensualist

The Sensualist

New
Published 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Sensualist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sensualist

Start your review of The Sensualist
Vikalp Trivedi
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know that whether communal/religious intolerance is going on in India or not , but I am now confirmed that there is a "Creative Intolerance" going on in India for a very long period of time . The Indian cinema is one of the victims of this intolerance . People claim that they want to watch something new , something different but when they get something different or new they reject it .

For instance a film released last year called 'Roy' , I know the film was not perfect but it was not as
Asha Seth
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
‘Perhaps, perhaps. But nothing else human or divine, could help me. I had only one talent, you know. Misuse a gift, and you destroy it. And when I lost mine, I turned my back on the world and all it stood for.’
‘But the world isn’t exclusively a place for the pursuit of sensual pleasure.’
‘No. But I was a sensualist. There was nothing else I could pursue.”

***********************************************
When the book ends tailing this note, you can hardly believe it to be the end.

With The Sensualist
Ritu
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indian-authors
The Sensualist is the story of a man tormented by his own desire for women both physically and mentally.

It is the story of a man who claims to have been a sexual predator but has lost all his ego, glory and appetite after being overpowered by a stronger woman .

It is the an Ex Sex Addict basically who now lives by himself far away from the civilisation.

I have read and adored the stories of Ruskin Bond all through my growing up stage and can't help but be awed by the beautiful and apt descriptions
Isha P
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is about a traveler who meets a recluse who then narrates his life story. The book explores the dark aspects of the human psyche. I was surprised by the ending of the story, completely unexpected! Overall, the story is unique, original, uncomfortable in places and makes for a compelling read.
Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books)
Introduction:

This is short novel, which runs for 120 pages. This book was first published in 'Debonaire' and was charged with the obscenity in Mumbai during the time of emergency. Marathi play writer Vijay Tendulkar become witness on this case. Later Judge found nothing obscene in this book and honourably acquitted Ruskin Bond.

Plot summary:

The story starts somewhere in Kapila, where a traveller took shelter to a cave. The man, ascetic who resides in the cave narrated his journey from a richer
Sarba Roy
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the brutal demons rise from hedonistic indulgence in sense pleasures. This book brings out this aspect beautifully.

A must read for those who are in an eternal power struggle with their demons within.
Tulika
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
I picked up this book while looking for a quick read as part of a readathon. Also, it intrigued me because it was so out of character for a Ruskin Bond book. It was first serialised in Debonair and almost landed the author in jail.

This is the story of an ex-sex- addict who has now renounced the world and lives in a cave all by himself. A traveller is forced to spend the night in the cave and the two get talking with the sensualist telling about his escapades.

It would perhaps held one's attentio
Sourav
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
My cheeks went red in the first half of this novella when I visualized today's Ruskin Bond writing such a book. In the latter half, in fact, right towards the end, I saw my eyes turning red.

A subtly dark erotica by India's favourite Children's Story-writer is a must read to explore a different side of one of the cutest authors we have read.

PS: He was issued a non-bailable warrant for this story when it was published four decades ago in Debonair.
Neelanjana
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not a book, but a case - file of a depraved pervert.

I don't understand, why Indian male authors can't differentiate between "Erotica and biography-of-a-sleazeball." WHY?!

Another disappointing read after "The Company of Women."
Anu
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Being a Ruskin Bond fan comes naturally when one is Indian. We all grew up on his short stories and novels which can be classified in the YA category. "Sensualist" came out of nowhere as a rude shock. The moment i saw the name of the book and the author, I had to buy it. I wanted to know if our favourite author when we were kids could write something for us when we became adults.

I could not gather any discernible plot from the book and was rather surprised to know that he was in quite a legal m
Kirti Tarang
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
For day dreamers. Read if you're in touch with your darker side. Read for sensual escapism (Readers of Mr. Grey & Jackie Collins will be disappointed). Don't even think of reading it if you're looking for anything more. Or maybe, just read to meet the other side of Ruskin Bond. In fact, this novella is meant only for Ruskin Bond fans. ...more
Vrsh
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The four stars depict my awe of the author...Mr. Bond had been far ahead of his time when he wrote the book...and given the incidents he had to face, upon having written the book...my respect for him rises tenfold...salute to d master storyteller for all ages
Harshit Gupta
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not a typical Ruskin Bond book. But the way he has written it, it's interesting. Won't say more. In case u r planning to read.

Warning: Adult content.
Manjiri
Quite a departure from his usual repertoire. But an interesting read, nonetheless.
Sandeep
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Story of a 19th century cave dweller narrating his sensual exploits, nothing much gained or lost on reading this book,

Rating 3/5
Pages: 103
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: @penguinindia
❣️
The sensualist is the story of a man enslaved by his libido and spiralling towards self-destruction. The book explores the demons that its protagonist must grapple with before he is able to come to term himself.
In exploring the dark aspects of human psyche Bond has done some magic with words and writing style.
When I started reading,
Paul Mullen
Jul 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This is certainly a cautionary tale from a master craftsman, Ruskin Bond. 'The Sensualist' is a moral warning about the futility of lust, passion, and over-sexing oneself. A complete obsession with sex will take over your days, and eventually your spirit, which it did with the man in the mountains. There is so much more to the human condition than the primitive urge to fuck - essentially, this is Bond's message.

I was very surprised to read that Bond had been cautioned, and faced trial for the pu
Pankaj Suneja
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It is interesting that enigmatic reclusive loses his charm when the faults in him are exposed. The sensualist is different kind of book for Ruskin Bond and he does not tell the story from first person but he meets a stranger on the way who courageously narrates his obsessions. I felt it was unfair in the end for reclusive to be judged based on life he lived. But that’s the purpose wanted to convey that sexual obessessions actually are self-destructed. One can find Ruskin’s beautiful and vivid de ...more
Abhishek Singh
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Sensualist talks about the sexual escapades of a coming-of-age boy transversing through his experiences as a grown-up man and someone who loses his sexual appetite after becoming sexually involved with a a certain someone who took charge of his sexual desires and left him feeling drained with nothing more to experience or offer. This book is very different from other books of Ruskin bond. Check this article about 40 Best Ruskin Bond Books! https://dailybugle.in/ruskin-bond-boo... ...more
Reechi  Tatkare
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading this book was a very different experience as till now i had only read his childrens books. I liked this story the concepts it deals with. It really IS a compelling read. But unfortunately i did not love the plot or the characters. In no way it is bad its just very forgettable. So i think that even i did not enjoy my experience reading it i still uderstand its importance and probably will understand it more with more experience or age.
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
May 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
It is easy to imagine the trouble this book must have caused Mr. Bond given the contents, contrary to his image of a children's book writer, and the orthodox population back then

There is an underlying moral vein to this which we hear through the narration of the ascetic, a sensualist in his younger days. But on the whole, I wish the story had more pizzazz
Reddhi
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quirk surprise from The Indian Bond.I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this book.Leaving his well known attire of Sensitivity and Subtlety, the author dawns the magic robes of Sensuality to make another compelling read.This book is for you if you do not mind some sensual vanities.
Saurabh
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A surprise from Ruskin Bond. Very different. The story is about a man/hermit living in a cave, who narrates his sexual adventures and misadventures. The ending seemed abrupt at first, but on afterthought, it seemed apt, timely.
abhishek dutta
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wanted a long one but it seemed to be so volatile in reading but made an impact everlasting
Spandana
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Quite an odd and interesting little book, very different from his usual style of writing. It dwells on the darker side of desire. It's intriguing in a way but definitely not a page turner.
Kanchankanti Halder
Jun 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
book is worship
Nikhil Kapoor
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A very different genre from what Ruskin Bond writes. Reminds me of 'The Alchemist' by P.Coelho.
Sankrutyayan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
‘The body of a woman is an inexhaustible source of wonder and delight.’- I agree to that. The most beautiful and mysterious thing which has about it an incomprehensible delight whenever one pursues it. I regard this feeling of enticement as gender-neutral.

It is highly unlikely if not mentioned in advance that the author of this book is Ruskin Bond to predict it to be him. This is the dark side and the narration was categorical. I am amazed how Bond described everything in a sensual way. Some ac
Ekta Kubba
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Sensualist is the story, for which Ruskin Bond was charged with obscenity. Strange to hear. Ruskin Bond, and obscenity! Poles apart. He is known as a children's author, a nature lover, the young-at-heart-old man. But it doesn't mean that he should not write for adults. He is a writer. He works wonders with his pen. And it is always a writer's choice what he wants to give to his readers. If someone doesn't want to read that then there's no need to. Let the writer do his job.

This time Ruskin B

• Death Magazine
  • A Kind of Loving
  • Songs of the Humpback Whale
  • The Complete Stories, Vol 1
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • The End of the Beginning: Lessons of the Soviet Collapse
  • An Unsuitable Boy
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
  • Prisoner of Tehran
  • Lanka's Princess
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi

News & Interviews