Start by marking “Out of The Wild” as Want to Read:
Out of The Wild

Out of The Wild

4.6  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
First fiction novel by Mark Rashid. About a worn out cowboy and a wild mustang
Published (first published July 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Out of The Wild, please sign up.

Caren I would vote not, there are some pretty heavy topics (death, etc.), LOTS of drinking, and violent beatings.

Fran Severn
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's a nice read, but totally predictable. The lengthy sections about taming and training a mustang go on forever, even for someone like me, who thinks Mark is an incredible trainer and who enjoys learning about how he works. The story? A man who holds himself responsible for the accident that killed his wife and son ends up drunk and at rock bottom. He gets a job at a dude ranch, working for a woman with her own scars and an opportunistic boyfriend. Guess where it goes?
DreamPacker
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE Mark Rashid's non fiction books, so I was anxious to try his fiction. Excellent vehicle for solidifying communication and connection concepts. I got a little bogged down in the rest of the story with "unnecessary" details about menus and such that didn't contribute to the flow, but loved the horse and people interactions.
Anke
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous read, a must read for any horse lover!
Celeste Behsmann
Couldn't put it down

What a great story! I've read many of Mark's books and this one was fantastic. Nothing was far fetched and well throughout.

It's one of those books you can't wait to finish but really don't want to end.
Sheryn
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the balance of 'fiction' with 'horse sense'. Looking forward to reading one of his non-fiction titles. Oh, to be able to do what Jessie can do. You can bet I'll be trying.
Jean Salvas
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very nice read easy going, jut like smooth moving horse.
Jill
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely. The characters were well developed, and the setting and pacing excellent. Learning about horses was intriguing. The ending seemed a bit 'cinematic' and not quite as realistic as other parts of the book. The biggest detractor for me was the lack of careful editing! Multiple plural nouns were made into possessives (The McBride's went to town.), subjects didn't agree with verbs (There he stand.), and the wrong words were used (The horse was taller then expected.) Slop ...more
Lynn Porter
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY heart is bleeding.

I wish I had known this author as a friend many decades ago.
WHEN I was a kid I had a much beloved Morgan. I felt one day at school she was in trouble,calling for me. I asked to leave, but was refused. I left anyway, walked 4 miles home to find a group of teenagers had wired her front feet together and were whipping and stabbing her.
She was screaming, rearing but could,t help herself. I jumped into the mess, finally driving the boys away. She was terrified, still rearing,scre
C.J. Darlington
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. Even though it's self-published and the first for renowned horse trainer Mark Rashid, he is a storyteller in the best sense of the word. The story was inspiring, and I learned things about horses, like I hoped I would. A fun summertime read (or anytime, really!)
C.S. Wilson
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Good book by a local author and horse trainer. I enjoyed it, though some scenes felt very familiar and I can't figure out why. It pretty much mirrors my philosophy in horse handling: cowboy vs. natural horsemanship.
Cherie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
both enjoyed the story and learned more about horses.
Julie
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It caught me from the start and had me in tears at the end. Awesome first fiction book from the author. I plan on reading some of his non-fiction books next.
Cathy Hoffman
Jun 07, 2017
CHARLOTTE SHERIFF
Feb 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Rashid (pronounced RASH-id) is an internationally acclaimed horse trainer known for his ability to understand the horse’s point of view and solve difficult problems with communication rather than force. He began working with horses at age ten, when he met the “old man,” who taught him to work with horses, not against them, and to listen to what the horse is trying to say. Mark’s clinics cente ...more
More about Mark Rashid...