Start by marking “The Marriage Ring” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Ring

The Marriage Ring (Scandals and Seductions #3)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  643 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The woman who will one day wear Richard Lynsted's ring will be genteel, dainty, and well-bred.

This eliminates Grace MacEachin on all three counts. A hellion of the first order, the alluring, infuriating woman would be nothing more than a passing temptation to an upstanding gentleman like Richard—if it weren't for the fact that she's trying to blackmail his father!

Or, as Gr
Published February 23rd 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Ring

Sandra
Richard Lynsted first sees Grace MacEachin in a theater where she is performing on stage to a rowdy crowd. She is an actress/singer known as the "Scottish Songbird". Richard goes backstage to deliver a message to Grace from one of her friends. Richard is really there to discuss the matter of Grace trying to blackmail his father. Grace claims that his father and his uncle (who are twins) unjustly pinned a crime they committed (embezzlement) on her father years ago, and that her father was sentenc ...more
Ren
Maqluba
You've got a stuffy lawyer with a body of a giant and a beautiful petite actress/singer who's blackmailing his family. They go on a journey to find out the truth and they end up with their own happily ever after.

This is a favorite of mine, and I've re-read it many times and I know I'll probably re-read it again. The first time I read this I rated it 4 stars but after I've re-read it I can't figure out why I didn't make it 5 stars. Since it's not fair, because I don't re-read all my books, I won'
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I hope this one doesn't have a cheating hero like her last book. I like her writing, but I skipped The Earl Claims His Wife because of the adulterous hero.
Bean
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story, but it devolved at the end. Apparently expecting someone to be punished for trying to kill Grace and nearly getting Richard hung was too much to expect. Still Richard was quite likable especially since he wasn't the typical super-confident hero.
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Apart from the weird and almost abrupt last few chapters, it was a really great story. I think it's almost impossible to not enjoy Cathy Maxwell's story at some point in the storytelling. I'm a fan of writing, and even though this is not the best I've read, I still fund it entertaining.
JJ
Dec 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More contrived and lacking in interest than usual.
Zena
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can sworn enemies become true loves? This is what this story tackles and questions time and time again.
Grace and Richard meet and butt heads from the onset of their fascinating relationship. They not only have to contend with lies and deceit but also murder attempts on her life and this is all because of the mystery as to what really happened to a large amount of missing monies from Dame Mary Ewing's extensive estate. Who was really guilty of helping themselves to this?
Cathy Maxwell has given Gr
Haley Osborn
I would've liked to give this book more stars but the things that set me off were for some small but for me they were too off putting and annoying.
First, I've read books with 'godly' characters before and ive been annoyed with every single one. While I don't have a problem with religion I am not a very religious person because of the views that such stict reviews bring about and this book made methink of that especially i relation to women. It wasn't just the character (s) with this perception b
Morgan Wyatt
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marriage Ring by Cathy Maxwell is a historical romance by a master of the genre. Who else would have two character diametrically opposed to one another in every way? Only Cathy Maxwell could make it work. Grace MacEachin has a bone to pick with the Lynsted family. They bore false witness against her father, which sent him to the penal colony for several years. This crime busted up her happy family and sent her fleeing Scotland for the London stage.

Grace wows audiences with her beautiful voic
Avid Reader Amy's Reviews
Grace MacEachin knows that her father was framed. She also knows who framed her father. She blackmails the men responsible. She wants them to pay and her father go free. So when Richard Lynsted, son and nephew of the men that Grace is blackmailing, confronts Grace about said blackmailing, Grace sees it as an opportunity to finally have her father's name cleared.
When Richard meets Grace he finds her to be the complete opposite of any woman he would want. She is opinionated, honest and a little r
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard sat with ledgers and made a fortune for his father and his father's twin brother, his uncle. He hoped to gain their love and respect and be included in their pious lives. Grace came to England after her father was unjustly accused of embezzlement by Richard's uncles. Her mother could not bear the shame and left her. Grace took a job singing on the stage to earn a living but her greatest hope was to find a way to prove her father innocent. Knowing the men responsible would not want public ...more
Jessi
Grace MacEachin is an actress, but that doesn't make her a loose woman. Unfortunately, the betting books do not seem to reflect that. Her worst vice right now is blackmailing the uncle and father of Richard Lynsted and he's off to fix the problem. But first he has to save Grace from an unscrupulous stage manager as well as the many other men chasing after her, trying to win the bet.
Grace thinks that the two men set up her father to take the fall for an unscrupulous money scheme, one that made t
Fedora
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nina Mason
I had a harder time with this one than the first three of Cathy's books I read, probably because I didn't like the characters as well. Grace, the heroine, is an actress who's gutsy but has suffered ill-treatment at the hands of men. At the start of the story, she's in London, estranged from her father, who was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit--or so she believes. The hero is a big stiff of a guy named Richard. He's described as being not all that attractive . . . and all through the b ...more
Alyson
For my own personal preferences, this book had two knocks against it. First, the "hero is huge" trope, which is even more exasperating in this book as Richard's head is described as almost scraping the ceiling. Second, the "I've known you for four days and now I'm deeply in love with you" trope. Barf. Otherwise, this book is full of characters that never really develop their own voices and spend waaaaay too much time navel-gazing. The last few chapters are absolutely ridiculous and no characters ...more
Lady Darcie Guenon
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: Maceys
Aww Poor Richard, I felt so sorry for him. The way he was treated just tore at my heart, but to have Grace stand there and think the best of him made it all better. These two people came together looking for one thing and that was the TRUTH!! set on proving each others fathers are innocent they journey to Scotland to seek the truth but along the way they find something more than they bargained for and that was LOVE. Now they have to face attempt of murder, being claimed as murders, fights, and s ...more
Jill Twigg
This is the story of a "Scottish Songbird" actress wanting, no needing to prove her father innocent of a crime he was sent to prison for. The accused, a set of twins, are bent on keeping the truth and will do anything they can to make sure it is done. Richard, the son and nephew of the twins is also bent on finding out the truth to clear his father and uncle. An adventure ensues as he follows Grace to Scotland to encounter her father and the truth. Attempted murder, an accidental death and a sto ...more
Sharyn
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Maxwell takes 2 peripheral characters from the previous 2 books and gives them their own stories. Scottish Grace, and English Richard have both grown up feeling unloved and unappreciated. They are thrown together and travel to Scotland, Grace to prove her father innocent of a crime and Richard to prove his father innocent of the same crime. The journey has many revelations, and they both find the truth and love. I may finish the next 2 books in the series today.
Luvmyfamily
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was much better. I liked the main characters more that the last ones. I love the big guy humbled by the tiny woman thing they had going on. and I even thought it was cool that the man was the virgin instead of the woman like usual. It was a good twist. I hated the twins and the father. I couldn't believe their callousness. But I LOVED the couple.
Cheryl Harper
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd read all the Cathy Maxwell as she's an autobuy for me, but I picked this up at RWA. And I was so excited to find I hadn't read it. I loved the hero because he's not smooth or superpowerful. He's awkward and conscientious and has a problem: an actress. And blackmail. I read it so fast I was sorry it was gone!
Alex
I find it to be an awkward story line; I'm not going to ruin the book but I do find that the guy wasn't portrayed as assertive enough for this plot to work. What I do LOVE ABOUT CATHY MAXWELL, is that she writes great adventure scenes, I felt the sense of urgency in the plot and find myself being hooked on it.
Mti Librarian
This was actually kind of sad and depressing for fluff.

Grace MacEachin wants revenge and justice for the stolen money that caused her father to be transported to a penal colony and tore apart her family. Richard Lynsted wants Grace to stop trying to blackmail his family. After the two of them are thrown together for 2 weeks on a trip to Scotland, there are predictable results.
tired
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Barbra
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry.............this did not hold my interest!
Henna
3.5 starssss :)
Evelyn Pryce
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great. I lost sleep over this one!
Joan
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great fun read.
Tracy
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attened a book signing with the Author and picked this one up. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a quick read and interesting.
Gerry
This was ok.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 11:22AM
  • A Basket of Wishes
  • Happily Ever After
  • Bride of Shadow Canyon (Bride, #1)
  • My Lord Jack
  • Allie's Moon
  • Intimate Enemies
  • Never Love a Cowboy
  • The Bad Man's Bride (Marrying Miss Bright, #1)
  • Tempting a Proper Lady (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #1)
  • License to Thrill
  • My Forever Love
  • Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2)
  • Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • Conor's Way
  • Amazon Lily
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Beast in Shining Armor (A Kinda Fairytale, #2)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...

Scandals and Seductions (5 books)
  • A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1)
  • The Earl Claims His Wife (Scandals and Seductions, #2)
  • His Christmas Pleasure (Scandals and Seductions, #4)
  • The Seduction of Scandal (Scandals and Seductions, #5)
“She'd known many men in her life but this bear of a man with a lawyer's mind, an accountant's habits, and a knight's spirit outshone them all.” 2 likes