Start by marking “A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)

A Time to Heal (Star Trek TNG: A Time to #8)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  494 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews

On the cusp of their epic battle with Shinzon, many of Captain Jean-Luc Picard's long-time crew were heading for new assignments and new challenges. Among the changes were William Riker's promotion to captain and his new command, Riker's marriage to Counselor Deanna Troi, and Dr. Beverly Crusher's new career at Starfleet Medical. But the story of what set them on a path aw
Published September 17th 2004 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published September 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Heal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Heal

Crystal Bensley
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intense novel and David Mack is always fantastic!
John Cipolla
The book dragged at certain points. Not one of my favorites of the series.
Adam
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Mack's conclusion to the previous "A Time to Kill" is no less a page turner, but somehow loses some of the polish of the first outing.

Riker's capture by Tezwan Loyalists (devoted to the deposed Prime Minister Kinchawn) is threaded throughout this volume, and while scenes of his confinement are limited in number, the ramifications of his imprisonment form the foundation for this opus.

The multiple events of "A Time to Heal" all take place amidst a background of ever-increasing terrorist atta
Kai Knetsch
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 completed the story arc from where Book 1 left off. It really fleshed out the aftermath of Book 1. The scope of the book was really big, talking about some politics, Section 31, the Orion Syndicate, the Tezwan planet, and other ships. It also brought to life some of the characters, especially Peart and Vale. I thought the Dr Crusher storyline was a bit boring though, but her stories usually are. I liked that they couldn't break the Tezwan prisoner they captured. Overall, I enjoyed these t ...more
Nicky2910
Joshua Palmatier
This is the second part of the duology that began with A Time to Kill. I read the first book rather fast and moved immediately on to this one to see how it would end. That first book was action-packed in true Star Trek tradition, and this book deals with the consequences of what happened there.

The premise is that the Federation armed a non-aligned planet called Tezwa as a last-ditch strategy during the Dominion War, but the Tezwans decided to use those illegal weapons to antagonize the Klingons.
Jesse Lehrer
I enjoyed this as well, it stands with its prequel as 2 of the better books in the series.

I, again, really enjoy the intensity of the writing and the complex plot.

I would say this one is worse than its predecessor just because parts of it felt illogical and placed in there just to encourage the plot. The raiding of a building with no intel? The rushing into oncoming foes from a point of defense? It just didn't make sense. I understand the intention was to relate how difficult guerilla warfare is
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion to the two part Tezwa storyline- well, as satisfying as it could be under the circumstances.

Having sucessfully prevented the Klingons from obliterating Tezwa (and discovering that the pulse cannons they used to destroy a Klingon attack fleet were from the Federation), Captain Picard and his crew spearhead Federation efforts to provide relief to the suffering populace. The initial Klingon attack destroyed many of their cities and left millions without adequate food, clothi
Jimyanni
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
You call that healing?

Overall, I have some mixed emotions about this book; the writing is very vivid, very powerful. On the other hand, it is seriously depressing, dealing with literally hundreds of deaths of both Starfleet officers and civilians, with some of the most vivid writing describing their agonizing deaths. It clearly details the futility of the efforts of Dr. Crusher and the other medical personnel in trying to minimize the loss of life in the war zone, and the impossibility of dealin
Joe
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but found it slow going. The search for Riker continues and the Enterprise finds themselves in the midst of a political crises that is escalating. The book also has a nice collection of new characters and sets several characters on course for what happens next. While enjoyable, I don't feel like it was a must read.
Julia
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek series
Shelves: star-trek
Rodney
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as some of the others. This story seemed forced from the beginning. Throughout, the plot seems very forced. It is a decent story line, but it jumps all around, and the plot follows Murphy's law almost to a ridiculous extreme. I understand that the authors are creating a story line to bridge two of the Trek movies, but the events the crew encounters and the extremes they are subjected to, in about a year's time seem to be overwhelming. The events that transpire "between" the last two ...more
Kiri
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of this sub-series that I've read. I was able to follow along well (the main characters are from the TNG verse) and enjoyed the story. It stands well on it's own although you can tell that it hooks into a larger arc. I particularly liked how it shows the darker aspects of the Federation, and the consequences of those actions. It also makes the characters question their views of what the Federation is, and behaves.

(view spoiler)
Bill Sweet
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers!

Very satisfying, Though it might be partly because the previous books in this long series have been fairly unremarkable. Mack Is clearly a superlative writer. I was pleasantly surprised to see these last two books return to the classic Trek tradition of taking on contemporary issues. This one seems fairly inspired by the American invasion and occupation of Iraq, the warfare in the book being based upon a lie, much like the Iraq war. Except in the case of the novel, justice prevails, af
Kathleen Dixon
This isn't as fast-moving as its prequel and there were times that I skimmed through a few paragraphs. Having said that, I'm a consummate Star Trek fan, and it's well-written, so I overall enjoyed it.
I don't know how the publishers have decided who to put on the front cover though. Picard is on the front cover of this one, and we hardly even talk to him (shame - because I just adore him); and on the first book it's Worf. He had a part in it, but he wasn't the main figure by any means. (These are
Aron
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-tng
This is one of the darker ST novels I've read, but it was still a great read & an excellent continuation & conclusion to the story began in A Time to Kill. I havent read a David Mack ST that i didnt love, & this one was no different. The characters are written perfectly, great dialog, action sequences, interesting character development & a highly compelling story,...everything we have come to expect from David Mack. Highly recommend!
Jeffrey
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is part two after the A Time to Kill book. It concluded the story well but it wasn't a book I just had to finish reading fast. A Time to Kill was good like that, not sure if the difference was life getting in the way or if the second half wasn't as good. It did end well, and it was fitting. Lot's of emotion and character development in this one. So, I have one more book to go in the 9 book "A Time to..." series.
Matt Piechocinski
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really should have reviewed this as a duology, as you can't read this with out reading it's predecessor (A Time to Kill). Now, I thought this was the stronger book ... a great allegory for the the War in Iraq, and over all, the two books combined are probably some of the best Trek I've read ... even better than some of Peter David's Trek books.
Michael
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well-written, but uncomfortably dark, book. Suicide bombers and fanatical insurgents with no compunctions about inflicting massive civilian casualties seem out of place in a Star Trek novel - makes famously cynical episodes like Chain of Command and In the Pale Moonlight look bright and sunshiny in comparison.
Angela
Riker is still missing, and civil war has erupted on the planet that the Enterprise is giving aid to. This is a follow up to the previous book. There's some nice Deanna moments, yes, Picard is in it but I wouldnt call it a Picard story. The plot is engaging, with starfleet being seen as the enemy no matter what they do. A good read.
Jamie
Aug 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugg. Like most in this series this book was far too long for what it had to accomplish. Most of it read as fan fiction since it introduced and killed off so many new characters no one cares about. I can't wait to be past the "A Time To" series.
Matt
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great continuation.
Jerry
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series delivers yet again! Can't wait to read the explosive conclusion!
SA
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Nice action and conclusion to the political turmoil. Mack is easily a favorite Trek writer.
Takiyah Dudley
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the whole series ( you have to read all 8)...
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
This whole mess of books makes Nemesis so much easier to swallow.
Leland
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series of Star Trek novels... Can't wait to pick these up again.
Ossy
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
The series of "A time to..." are great!!!
Brian
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, trek, tv
This was a great follow up to A Time to Kill. This pair of books has been my favorite of the series so far. My only disappointment with the book is that the series is winding down.
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Die
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
2620393
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac
More about David Mack...

Star Trek TNG: A Time to (9 books)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek TNG: A Time to #1)
  • A Time to Die
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • A Time to Love (Star Trek)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)