Start by marking “The Apostolic Fathers in English” as Want to Read:
The Apostolic Fathers in English

The Apostolic Fathers in English

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Apostolic Fathers is an important collection of writings revered by early Christians but not included in the final canon of the New Testament. Here a leading expert on these texts offers an authoritative contemporary translation, in the tradition of the magisterial Lightfoot version but thoroughly up-to-date.

The third edition features numerous changes, including carefu
Published November 1st 2006 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Apostolic Fathers in English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apostolic Fathers in English

Matthew Hudson
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good collection of the Apostolic Fathers. Any faults of the book lie in the limited number of available writings, not the quality of the translation (so far as this layman can see, at any rate.)

The sections of primary interest to me were the letters of Ignatius of Antioch, who is one of those ancient writers who has a distinctive style that really comes across well in translation.

This book is a great investment for those of us who are not academics, but wish to study the earliest Christian Wri
Jacob O'connor
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My faith is untested. I've had it good in easy America, and while I might not be considered "cool", I've certainly never been persecuted.

Not so for the earliest Christians. It was deny Christ or it was curtains.

Holmes excellently translates a number of Christianity's earliest writers, including Ignatius and Polycarp. Both were martyrs. When I put myself in their shoes, I wonder. How will I hold up when they turn up the heat?
Tyler Daniels
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For theological thinkers - a must read! A great collection of the early church writings. The introductions to each work are very helpful in preparing the reader for what's to come in the pages to follow. If you're serious about studying historic Christian theology, this would be my first recommendation.
Brandon Barnes
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-history
Easy to read. Do yourself a favor and read the Church Fathers - if not this book, some book some where.
Stedwards
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phd
great resource.
Andy Smith
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read. Five-stars not because it encompasses amazing theology, but because it should be read by every pastor or scholar. My personal favorites are Barnabas and Diognetus.
Matthias
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must have for anyone interested in early church history or theology.
Steven
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy read and informative and I will definitely read parts of this again.
Bin Kim
Jun 22, 2014
Ryan
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
“It is the way of persecutors of good people, of those who hate truth, love a lie, do not know the reward of righteousness, do not adhere to what is good or to righteous judgment, who are vigilant not for what is good but for what is evil, from whom gentleness and patience are far removed, who love worthless things, pursue a reward, have no mercy for the poor, do not work on behalf of the oppressed, do not know the one who made them, are murderers of children, corrupters of God’s creation, who turn away from someone in need, who oppress the afflicted, are advocates of the wealthy, lawless judges of the poor, utterly sinful. May you be delivered, children, from all these things!” 0 likes
“This is why they were persecuted, being inspired as they were by his grace in order that those who are disobedient might be fully convinced that there is one God who revealed himself through Jesus Christ his Son, who is his Word that came forth from silence, who in every respect pleased the one who sent him.” 0 likes