Start by marking “Recipes for a Small Planet” as Want to Read:
Recipes for a Small Planet

Recipes for a Small Planet

Features numerous casserole, bread, salad, cereal, and other recipes in which complete proteins are formed by combining the proper ratios of legumes, seeds, grains, and dairy products.
Published February 12th 1985 by Ballantine Books (first published 1973)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,179 books — 1,086 voters
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. PirsigGoodbye, Things by Fumio SasakiMinimalism by Joshua Fields MillburnThe Magic of Tiny Business by Sharon RoweSmall Data by Martin Lindstrom
Tiny Things
46 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Dioscita
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-food
I have recently found and dusted this off again; I don't remember the recipes as rocking my world, but the spirit behind them sure does...
G.G.
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Alas, I no longer have a copy of this and gather that the "complementary proteins" theory behind the cooking style isn't regarded as gospel anymore, but between 1980 and 1983 I cooked almost every recipe in the book and so had to include it on my list. The lentil soup is still good!
Monica Willyard Moen
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, nls
This book was groundbreaking when it was written. Though it style may seem dated to us now, the recipes are still quite good. While I am not a committed vegetarian, recipes in this book have helped me design several meatless or very low meet meals for my family each week.
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008, cookbook
I found the concepts in this book to be fabulous, but the more recipes I tried the more I didn't like this book. Most recipes were thick and bland and not to our liking.

"If one amino acid (proteins are made of amino acids) is even partially missing from the patter, the use of the other amino acids for protein synthesis is reduced proportionally." - pg. 3

"NPU - net protein utilization - tells us how much of the protein we eat is actually available to make human protein."

Combinations:

granola &
Dixie Diamond
All cookbooks should be spiral-bound!

Very interesting book that tries to provide recipes for substantial food that doesn't require exotic or expensive ingredients.

Better yet; most of these recipes can be improved immeasurably now that we have better whole-wheat pasta, etc., than we did in the 1970's (my mother still has horror stories about early whole-grain foods). You might have to tweak them a little, but it has a lot of potential.
Keith
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Book 6 in my quest.... Given that the first recipe in this book is "All Protein Crunch Granola" it shouldn't be a huge surprise that this book was published shortly after the "summer of love", by a lady living in Berkeley, CA. I guess it's a decent vegetarian cookbook. But it's not like I have a lot to compare it to. Yet.
Fran
My husband and I have had this book since 1976. I unearthed the book the other day and he made the "Complementary Pie." It was as good as we remembered it! We made another and sent it to an ill friend, and they requested the recipe.

Like any other cookbook I own, this one has some really great recipes along with the so-so ones.
Cwalsen
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
If, like me, you lived in a student co-op in Berkeley in the 1970's, this 1973 book will bring back memories of the vegetarian cooking of that era. I think I'll go stir up a batch of the "Kitchen Sink Cookies" which my forgotten notes in the margin say are good for breakfast.
Karen Ganderton
A vegetarian's necessity in the 80's but outdated now. Complementary proteins were made up by Lappe to make vegetarianism more acceptable to nutritionists of the day. There are much better vegetarian and vegan cookbooks available. It still has some good recipes.
Diana
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is very 1970's back to the land era. The recipes are vegetarian, but there are some very good ones in here if you're wanting to have a meat-free meal occasionally. I've enjoyed quite a few of the recipes and will definitely keep making them.
Mckinley
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Forward thinking applied to cooking.
Kathie H
The recipe for Risi i Bisi on page 165 is one of my family's all-time favorites!
Bart Everson
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
a true gem of a cookbook
Nancy Noyes-ward
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was one of my earliest cookbooks from a book sale in the '80s. Complementary protein cooking can taste better, surely? It is interesting to look through.
Elie
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eating
This was one of my mother's favorite cook books. I enjoyed reading it, and was inspired by many things she talked about. But I didn't like the recipes very much.
Jackson Matthews
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has been very helpful in raising 4 children who did not know they were vegetarians at home.
Peggy
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: recipes for vegetarian cooking
the art and science of high protein vegetarian cooking..
Very well written and wonderful recipes

Betsy
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've used this book for years - just like any cook book - some recipes are great, others not so much
Susan
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
compliments RSP, doesn't live up to it
Philip Bergstresser
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing

I love the soybean croquettes from this cookbook!
Marg Smith

• The Book of Tofu
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Putting Food By
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook