Start by marking “Art of Intrusion” as Want to Read:
Art of Intrusion

Art of Intrusion

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  2,356 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Hacker extraordinaire Kevin Mitnick delivers the explosive encore to his bestselling "The Art of Deception"
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most celebrated hacker, now devotes his life to helping businesses and governments combat data thieves, cybervandals, and other malicious computer intruders. In his bestselling The Art of Deception, Mitnick presented fictionalized case studi
Published March 17th 2009 by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Art of Intrusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of Intrusion

Pramod Nair
The adage is true that the security systems have to win every time, the attacker only has to win once. – Dustin Dykes

Art of Intrusion by Kevin D. Mitnick, the legendary cyber desperado turned computer security consultant, is a compilation of security related case studies presented as fascinating anecdotes or techno-thriller stories, which explains some of the real-life methodologies and exploits that are employed in computer break-ins and cyber crimes. What makes these stories valuable is the f
Mark O'Neill
Jan 19, 2012 Mark O'Neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author was recommended to me by a geek friend and after I did some research on Mitnick, I realised this was a guy I wanted to read. I was a bit amazed to read all the reviews who accused Mitnick of putting his ego all over the book. I didn't see any evidence of that at all. Yes he talks quite a bit about his own experiences in relation to what he is talking about in that chapter but that is to be expected. After all, he IS a convicted computer hacker! So he does have some knowledge in this ...more
Valerie
This was an interesting book that reminds you, in several different ways, of the importance of defense in depth. A few of the attacks were vague (as warned of by the author who collated the tales), and others just lacked relevant technical details. For example, "the outfit was running a Sun workstation, which is familiar ground for every hacker." - which type of hardware? What was the OS level? Was it unpatched? Still, the stories were entertaining.

My biggest gripe with the book was the lack of
Nate
Dec 24, 2011 Nate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was not nearly as good as Mitnick's biography "Ghost in the Wires"

I think the target audience was a bit mixed. In some chapters, the authors went to great lengths to explain the technologies they were talking about (e.g. Unicode explanation was almost 1 paragraph.) As if the reader would have no knowledge of technology (or very limited knowledge.)

Then in other chapters, they would mention technologies almost in passing as if everyone knew about it.

I liked the final section of each chapter w
Remo
Mar 04, 2012 Remo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informatica, 2007
Este libro continúa donde lo dejó "The art of Deception", de alguna manera. En él se habla de diez casos específicos en los que el sistema fue vencido por un atacante con más inteligencia, tiempo libre o ganas (o las tres). Un grupo de amigos que descubre y utiliza el algoritmo de las máquinas tragaperras para empezar a ganar dinero con ellas, un par de presos de una cárcel de Texas que consiguen montarse una red informática y bajarse todas las pelis del emule, un par de empresas que piden audit ...more
Doug
Aug 12, 2009 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not a textbook, nor is it an account of anything Kevin Mitnick ever did. After reading more about his history I can say that Kevin Mitnick will not be able to write about his experiences until later this year at the earliest.

This book is a collection of short stories detailing OTHER hackers exploits. Mitnick uses these experiences as examples and describes how the attacks could've been prevented. In the majority of cases the exploits described were a result of lazy or inattentive ne
James
Jul 24, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Mitnick's books that I've read and I really enjoyed it. There was enough technical content to keep the attention of those interested in the details but not too much as to slow down the pace of the book.
The book is split into short stories of other hackers exploits and as a security consultant myself I found the stories both entertaining and thought provoking, if by now a little outdated.
As long as you don't think it's a textbook and appreciate it for what it is I'd definitel
Kamel Riyad
Oct 23, 2016 Kamel Riyad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories on this book are eye opening for anyone working in the IT field. The book is more of a fiction book, it's not a technical book. The technology descried in the book are old Windows 98 etc..
Daniel
May 27, 2017 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story collection - oversold

Kevin Mitnick is a legend, a stories sound nice but they are sold through his household name and established notoriety and not through how well they are told.
Dzung Tran
Jun 18, 2017 Dzung Tran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone interested in hacking world. Although it's not much great details on how people did it, but it cover amount of amazing information that you may never think of.
Nguyen Ngan
Jwduke
Mar 18, 2017 Jwduke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyber-tech-war
Overall I enjoyed this book. There are parts which were unclear. I only would have wanted the Arthur to go into great detail on exactly how the hacker conducted these attacks.
Cecilia
Mar 01, 2017 Cecilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
It was interesting, but I expected more.
Katsu
Jul 29, 2013 Katsu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
First of all this book is very old. Newest OS mentioned was, I suppose, Windows XP, and as I remember - only once. Rest of stories was about hacking much, much older computers. But on the other hand some things do not change, and reading about may learn us about mistakes - as it are human mistakes. But here comes "but".
For me, as an IT guy, and not even spec of web, it was extremely hard to read all this explanations for "normal" people. It was just so boring, and so long, and so obvious... Onl
Mike
Jun 07, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my childhood friend, who I grew up playing computer games with... he went into programming and I went into writing. A lot of the book is beyond my comprehension of network technology, but I was struck just by how much programming/hacking is about trial and error and problem solving. Screenwriting is very much the same, given its rigid structure and the demands of the movie industry, which needs clean, easy to sell product. Social engineering is like pitching ideas and building relati ...more
Chris Gilland
May 26, 2013 Chris Gilland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i must say that this is probably one of the best books I have read in quite a long time! It is one of those types of books you start reading, and then simply cannot put down. I personally read it through the NLS. Bard Does indeed have the book, as that is exactly where I obtained it. To me, this book was a major eye-opener two different computer security threats that we face in everyday society. The really awesome part about this book, is at the end of every chapter… Spoiler… There are usually a ...more
Brian
Jun 28, 2011 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: goodreads
Shelves: hackerspotting
(3.0) Good but Mitnick gets way too much in the way

Mitnick walks us through a few self-reported hacks from other hackers. Some are interesting. I actually thought the first one about slot machines was the coolest. The others Mitnick tries to insert himself, his crimes, his books and website WAY too much. It felt pretty dirty and self-promoting, especially for a book that's really not supposed to be about him.

I also found it a bit inconsistent that he ostensibly spends thought and time devoted to
Azamali

Chapter 8 Your Intellectual Property
Andy
Nov 26, 2007 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Computer Nerds
I was interested in this book from the moment I picked it up at my local Half-Price Bookstore. The cover art was impressive which I think reflects upon the feeling of the contents.

Kevin Mitnick has a wonderful way of explaining things in layman's terms. He tells the story of a hacker or exploiter while also weaving in his own commentary and opinions. After each chapter Mitnick explains what a Security Specialist could have done to stop this hacker, what should be expected in the future, and expl
Rob
Aug 22, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, netsec
This is the book that got me interested in network security.

Although it has Kevin Mitnick listed as the author, it has little to do with him at all. The book consists of several short, true stories. All of the facts are (supposivly) real. Some are well known in the "hacking" world, others you'll probably be hearing for the first time. Nonetheless, the are all very engaging. Some of the stories go into more detail regarding the attack vector than others, however they are all very engaging. Whethe
Armand
Jan 21, 2012 Armand rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Very interesting stories but very heavy computer jargon. Ranging from hacking casinos to children helping terrorists, these hackers' tales would likely be hits on the big screen. The only problem with this book is that the author's target audience is a somewhat-seasoned computer user with knowledge of basic computer science.

An ordinary reader with no technological background would probably end up skimming a fourth of the book and still enjoy it, just not as well. If you're one of those people th
Jessie Cran
Dec 16, 2016 Jessie Cran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this. The stories are fascinating real-life examples of vulnerabilities in systems (which come down to the people wanting in being more determined and aware than the people who want to keep them out!) and Mitnick's storytelling is engaging, intelligent, and just an all-round *fun* read. The explanations for the not-so-tech-minded sit comfortably between treating the reader as smart enough to learn, though it's not so complex that you're left wondering what the hell happened.

A m
Sifi Zonkoid
Jul 25, 2016 Sifi Zonkoid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great introduction to hacking with stories spanning a period of the last three decades.

I really enjoyed this book, the 'hacker' speak and terms used, as well as the intro to 'social engineering' and tactics to break into systems, both remotely and physically. It is also eye opening and prompts readers to secure their own networks, for fear of someone somewhere getting access to potentially sensitive info.

I recommend this to anyone wanting an introduction to hacking. If you are resear
Gary
I have a rather extensive collection of hacker/hacking books, and I've written on the subject myself, for both websites and magazines like Blacklisted! 411 and Nuts and Volts. I found The Art of Intrusion to be interesting but not very enlightening. I understand that Mitnick is probably not allowed to write about many of his past exploits, but this book had less hard data and detail than the vast majority of what I've read on the subject. Overall, I'd give this book a solid "meh."
Paul
Mar 14, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some may find the stories of hacking to be far-fetched but they are entirely believable. More important, Mitnick offers some excellent insights and countermeasures against common attacks. There is something to be learned here. Unfortunately, the insertion of "been there, done that" commentary comes across as arrogant and takes away from the stories being told. Additionally, plugging your other book as almost the only source (6-7 times in just a few pages), it becomes an annoying distraction to t ...more
Harvey
Jun 23, 2013 Harvey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
- from the jacket: "Four pals clean up in Vegas with a pocket-sized computer. A bored Canadian teen gains access to the wire transfers section of a major Southern bank. A couple of kids are recruited to hack into Lockheed Martin and the Defence Information Network by a terrorist with ties to Osama Bin Laden."
- mind-boggling brilliance and audacity shines through each of Mitnick's hacker subjects
- all true stories
Kelly
Mar 20, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found that this book has quite a bit of technical information which can be hard to follow even coming from a technical background. I'd imagine you'd do much better coming from an IT background though.

I enjoyed the stories quite a bit. I wish he had focused a bit more on the stories instead of the technical details but I think his intent was to provide those details for people who are reading the book for that type of information rather than just entertainment.
Brian
Jun 11, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real eye opener. If you work in a business with a lot of valuable information that you want to keep safe, read this book. It is amazing the amount of information that can stolen without a lot of technical expertise. As they say you are only safe as your weakest link and in a company your weakest links are generally people. I got the impression that no information protected by any organization is safe from a motivated attacker.
David
In this engaging follow-on to the Art of Deception, Kevin Mitnick tells the stories of hackers and their exploits. Some of the attacks were authorized, and others would make them very interested to law enforcement if their identities were known.

For each attack, he describes what happened, and provides a section on Insight, Countermeasures, and The Bottom Line.

Chapter 10 is an examination of social engineers, and how they are able to manipulate people to get the desired result.
Mark
Jan 14, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Enjoyable, fast read. It included enough technical details to keep me interested. But, it did not overwhelm the reader with jargon to the extent that someone without a technical background would be lost. I only wish it was written a bit more recently. Perhaps a follow up will be released in the next few years? I look forward to reading other work by Kevin.
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving, and Shoulder Surfing
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick
  • Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own the Box
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It
  • Practical Cryptography
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous (former) computer hacker, has been the subject of countless news and magazine articles, the idol of thousands of would-be hackers, and a one-time "most wanted" criminal of cyberspace, on the run from the bewildered Feds. Now a security consultant, he has spoken to audiences at conventions around the world, been on dozens of major national TV and radio shows, ...more
More about Kevin D. Mitnick...

“Every time some [developer] says, ‘Nobody will go to the trouble of doing that,’ there’s some kid in Finland who will go to the trouble.” 8 likes
“knowing you’re smarter than somebody and you can beat them. And that, in our case, it was gonna make us some money.” 2 likes