Start by marking “While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)” as Want to Read:
While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)

While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys #11)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  3,536 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Frank and Joe solve the mystery of the secret locked room in the spooky Dalrymple Mansion.

---
From book cover:
For action, mystery and cliff-hanging suspense, read THE HARDY BOYS MYSTERY STORIES® - featuring the thrilling adventures of America's favorite detective duo, Frank and Joe Hardy. Millions of young readers have teamed up with the Hardy Boys, helping them in their qu
Published January 1st 1990 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc (first published January 1st 1932)

Michael Finocchiaro
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great Hardy Boys mystery with Frank and Joe and lots of help from Chet. They are facing more and more dangerous criminals - smugglers this time - and doing great sleuthing work even with no appearance of Fenton Hardy this time around! A fun and exciting read :)
Gregsamsa
This was not at all what I thought it was going to be.
Jessaka
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, hardy-boys
This was one of Leslie McFarlane's books, and while it was a fun read, it was not as exciting as the others he has written.

A man comes to visit the Hardy Boy's father while he is out of town. He steals into the house and leaves it disgruntled. Then he returns to the house and knocks on the door again. The Hardy Boys let him inside to hear his story but he won't talk to them. Instead he tells them to go out and check the Purdy house if they like to solve mysteries.

In this mystery you will find
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great mystery book for young readers that will keep you glued to every page.
Chet Brown
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In a dark room just through off in a corner. You are seconds away from freedom and right when its in your hands you get blind folded and that freedom feeling slips away. This book is an explosive book if you ask me. Literally, can be an explosive book. In this book of the Hardy Boys Frank and Joe decide to help out an old friend that is being threatened. As they try to figure out who these threats are coming from they are twisted and blow like the wind threw this adventure. It all comes down to ...more
Aaron Lam
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
While the Clock Ticked was a very interesting book. I enjoyed the excitement and suspense that this book contained. Two brothers try to solve a mystery in their area. They are faced with many challenges that made the book even more enjoyable. Towards the end of the book, the Hardy boys are captured by the gang leader of the thieves. He is about to blow them up when they are saved by a friend. The ending was the most intense part. The unexpected almost always happens. I don't like to read, but wh ...more
Edward Davies
The Hardy's thwarting of a bunch of jade smugglers (who are stealing Jade in Bayport, USA when China might be a better location for them) almost takes a back burner to them figuring out how a note appeared in the middle of a room. They don't even really catch the thieves, they just figure out they're using some old man's house as their base. This book made little sense to me, and I'm starting to wonder what I ever saw in these books when I was younger.
Bill Keefe
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a re-read (and a really quick one, at that!), having read it the first time approximately 48 yrs. ago.

What can one say? Tom and Joe, evil villains, car chases, boat chases, foot races, Chet, Aunt Gertrude, really terrible writing. I loved every minute of it. And it only took about 45 of them to polish this off.
Diane
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh man..it's one of the books that got me started on reading. My dad gave this book to me; it was his when he was a boy. I remember being a youngin' and reading a couple of pages at a time.
I loved this mystery!
Marium
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
When I caught the first sight of this book I came to know this was an intresting one because I love the books which have an incomplete title.

I like the time when the hardys were caught by the leader of the gang. I also liked its style of concluding.

Well! it was a nice one.
Tacey
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A fabulous friend gave me a 1930s edition. Read it before re-reading my modernized version. Wow! I almost hate to admit I am glad the books were rewritten. Aunt Gertrude always spoke negatively and the boys seem to only communicate with each other through sarcasm and teasing.
Jerry
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

What can I say about this series that hasn't already been said? It's definitely old-school fun, but, that much is obvious.
Jon
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
...Um, Hardy Boys rocked. I mean rock. I think I'm going to start reading these again for the heck of it. Saved my old box of them.

Yes, I read books because of the covers.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Grace
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Again I am reminded how much I love this book and the Hardy Boys.
Austin B
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book I read and finished is "While the Clock Ticked". It was written by Franklin W. Dixon. This book is one of my favorite books of all time. I didn't think I would like it but I did. I am not really a mystery type of book reader but I read it and I loved it.

The most catchy part was when the young detectives got kidnapped. They were exploring the house for the detective job and they got jumped. They were tied up and there was a time bomb and they had to get out and catch the criminal who set
Mariarosa
The Hardy Boys Books are such a great series. I just wish that they didn't have romance. It's so unnecessary, and kids do not want to read about that stuff.
Jonathan Roberts
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A fun read with my son. The usual Hardy Boys story, not the most in depth mysteries but still a ton of fun.
Jason
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OOOOO-secret rooms, missing jade, old mansions-who could ask for anything more?
Liz
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Typical Hardy Boys - good wholesome mystery.
David Hardy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
The sentence structure was far too clunky. Good storyline, but not a pleasure to read out loud.
Christine
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
One of my favorites as a kid!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger ...more
Lucas
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The clock ticked is about the hardy boys solving a mystery for someone and leads to uncertain events. It starts out by them investigating a house for a mad named Raymond Darlymple. Soon after he lets them take the case .

Near the end it turns out to be more than a simple case the hardy boys are investigating something way bigger.

Warning: Spoilers and discussions of essential plot elements follow

Exposition-The Hardy boys hike to the old purdy house

Setting-Bayport

Protagonist- The Hardy Boys

Antagon
Nicole
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 8-15
I'm not a huge fan of mysteries, which is probably why I din't care much for this book. I think it's more suited to middle grade students. It's fast paced, but it's what you would expect from a mystery story. Lot's of convoluted clues that get wrapped up together at the very end. Not a bad book, just not for older readers or myself.

I think it would be better for young readers and might be a good book to teach. It is a good example of friendship and doing the right thing, which I think all stude
Bryan
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya
Probably one of the better in the series - not sure, as I've only read a half-dozen or so of these books.

The premise of the secret room(s) in the house was fascinating. The idea of how easily the innocent inventor, Amos Wandy, could be duped was less satisfactory.

It was interesting to see how the character of Mr. Dalrymple could be placed in contrasting lights - I wish more could have been done along that angle.

Recommended for young readers who think that Harry Potter (or worse, Twilight) are th
Erik
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another classic Hardy Boys tale. This one involves speedboats, secret rooms, being bound and gagged, thievery, and deadly explosives! The cover art is amazing, with our heroes Frank and Joe Hardy each tied up to chairs while a creepy old man slithers out from a secret room behind the grandfather clock. I dawdled when reading this - it does not take several months to finish, only a couple of days.
Cede sipes
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it

(2)
Manoj
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent yarn. A banker who receives death threats in a locked safe room, his doppelganger who steals rare stamps, a sinister looking house with bloodcurdling screams emanating at night, a ticking clock, river pirates. This book has a lot of elements to keep you excited. There's nary a dull moment from start to finish. Enjoyed it.
Kristofer
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
In which people leave their cars unattended on the side of a country road even as thieves are using cars found unattended on country roads, the police enthusiastically allow teenagers to pursue armed suspects unchaperoned, and the villain looks suspiciously like Adolf Hitler.

I also begin to suspect that Aunt Gertrude is a fox.
Goodreads Librari...: Add Cover for 0006922015 5 58 Mar 12, 2015 10:45PM
  • Double Crossing (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery #1)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)