Start by marking “The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide To Yoga Postures (Godsfield Bible)” as Want to Read:
The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide To Yoga Postures (Godsfield Bible)

The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide To Yoga Postures (Godsfield Bible)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  633 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This text encourages beginners and experts alike to design a yoga sequence to suit their own personal needs and abilities. It features over 150 yogic postures from the main schools of yoga, providing a comprehensive, illustrated, step-by-step guide to achieving the postures.
Published July 6th 2009 by Godsfield Press Ltd (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Yoga Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yoga Bible

Craig Shoemake
I wanted to give a nice little plug for this nice little asana book. I couldn’t resist buying when I found it in the local Harvard Coop–almost 200 asanas in a book that fits snugly in the hand. Dense (in terms of information per paragraph or bullet point), to the point, practical, and perfectly arranged so all you have to do is look, do the pose, check, turn the page and repeat. I’ve now made my yoga routine into THIS, just following it through and then starting over again.

The asanas are ordere
Linda Ng
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's into yoga...
Best yoga book out there...Easy to follow and the pictures make it so much more interesting!
The bible for all yogi...
Annie Vu
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I got it as a supplement to my power yoga class at the gym. It covers briefly yoga philosophy, history, breathing, bandha, and a large part is dedicated to poses, counter poses. There are many clear pictures and cover a lot of poses, the book is good size, square, smaller and condensed. Since it is a rather small book, not a lot are in depth and I have quickly grown out of it. Whilst I am sure that this book can be of some use, the only reason I would not recommend it is because it focuses too ...more
Lorraine
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga-books
I love this book! The poses are provided with their Sanskrit names and a brief intro of the pose's benefit. Then a nice intruction follows, which is numbered, making it easy to remember. Pictures are well suited and aid the instruction. Finally, a little blue box with extra info tells about counter poses, build up poses, ways to lighten the pose, and effect of the pose. As a yoga teacher designing sequences, this is one of many books I've referred to so many times, the binding is falling apart! ...more
Kelcea
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book, it's a great beginner's guide that introduced me to Yoga basics, as well as the many styles of yoga and how best to structure a session.
I sometimes had to look up poses on Youtube to see how they were 'performed' but other than that, it was a really clear and helpful guide, and I'll definitely purchase my own copy when I can.
Adrienne
Not so much a book about yoga, more of a reference book of asanas, although there is a very brief section on how to set out a practice and others, equally as brief, that cover various types of yoga practice.....kundalini, hatha, bikram etc.....there are 400 pages, most of them devoted to asanas...a complete begin-er could gain lots of useful info however i wouldn't recommend for anyone that had never been to a class and had at least a couple of teacher led sessions. asanas are tagged with 'engli ...more
Nov 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish, yoga
I'm fussy about my yoga books. This one is mostly pictures of how to do the completed pose. I also found the description light on how to get into the pose. The book's strength is the number of poses included. Great breadth, not so great depth. The book provides some information on build-up poses and counter poses. Again, I like more of this type of info.
Jan
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book of yoga postures. I finally bought my own copy instead of checking it out of the library. It gives basic and advanced forms. List complimentary postures and adaptations. This book would be a 5 if it was spiral bound.
Rayrumtum
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the sort of book you read cover to cover. Rather you peruse a few pages at a time or check up on something from your yoga class. It has simpler versions of poses and shows some poses you can dream of mastering. A great reference book with lots of easy to follow pictures.
Pipat Tanmontong
I bought this book because i wanted to practice yoga. This book is a great book of asana yoga. There are many poses include in its.
Every poses is written deep in detail. If you are looking for Yoga book, i recommend you Yoga Bible.
Dixie
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! Easy to understand, easy to find what you are looking for. A must have for every Yogi!
Trish
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for beginning Yoga!! I read this book daily...
Grimy
Jun 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read-looked at numerous yoga books, maybe including this one. So this is the closest I've got.
Bridget
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-exercise
Have this book
Vannoy Fite
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about yoga and the different forms. This book outlines the various asanas, history and deeper meanings behind yoga.
Kimz Zahour
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
A wonderful guide to many poses... conscice with pictures.
Julia
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive record of yoga poses. Unfortunately I did not have time or stomach for all.
Kathleen
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great basic yoga pose resource.
Pam
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good guide with pictures---it would be nice to have a chart of poses instead of a book
Nile
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative and helpful, this book has came in handy for reference and guidance
Jehree Anderson
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of step by step yoga poses. very helpful! :)
Gabby Galto
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Asanas: 608 Yoga Postures
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga: Immortality and Freedom
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • The Tree of Yoga
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »