Start by marking “Brigid of Ireland (Daughters of Ireland #1)” as Want to Read:
Brigid of Ireland (Daughters of Ireland #1)

Brigid of Ireland

(Daughters of Ireland #1)

In 5th-century pagan-dominated Ireland, Brigid is born a slave to her own father and is separated from her mother. Desperately seeking love and acceptance, Brigid becomes a believer in Christ. Knowing how the Irish people cling to superstitions and fears, can Brigid overcome them? Will her hatred for her father and a scheming evil sorcerer destroy her faith? Set in the era ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Monarch Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Brigid of Ireland, please sign up.
Cindy Yes. It's published by a Christian publisher.

Mimi
May 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Honestly, the only thing that kept me from bailing was that I am working on a Time Period challenge for a Historical Fiction message board that I participate in, and I didn't feel like finding another book for this time period. I know that good Christian Fiction can be written, but this was not it. Terrible characters, stilted dialogue (including more than one character with the sentence structure of Yoda,) and there was no feel for the time period or historical context.
English
Nice story about a woman known from early Irish Mythology as a Saint, miracle worker and preacher. Brigid of Kildare, who may have been a near contemporary of St Patrick. It was an interesting retelling of Brigid's life and career, especially for people who are not familiar with her.
The novel had some wonderful messages about endurance in faith, as well as forgiveness and hope at the end. So why the lower rating?

First of, because, I'm sorry to say, I just found this novel a bit of a slog. Its
Brandi
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting story and I learned a lot about Irish traditions and the Druid beliefs. I was confused a couple times because the plot skipped abruptly over several years. The dialogue was hard to follow sometimes because of the formatting on the Kindle. I enjoyed it - but by the end I was skimming quickly because I just wanted to find out what happened.
Carolyn Tye
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a hard book to get into. It took me about 120 pages to be interested in it. Once I got into the book, I found some of the druid practices very disturbing. I'm glad I learned about some of it, because some are similar to things we see in movies, even children's movies. Scary.
Jamie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I would like to know more about Brigid now that I know she was a real person not just a character in the book.
Debra Lee
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Paints a vivid picture of bringing Christ into a pagan community. Grow with this heroine in this amazing story!
Nicole
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an animated retelling of Saint Brigid's story. I didn't know that much about this Irish saint before reading this book, and as such, I don't know the accuracy of the portrayal, but it did make me care about the characters, and the saint.)

There were three things I wished we would have seen in this book: The first was that I wish we'd gotten to see Saint Brigid meet Saint Patrick. We heard a little bit about her previous encounters with him, but by the start of the narrative, he had alre
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
This book was just OK for me. It was not the best but it was certainly not the worst. I normally love historical fiction, but I like more American based history and more like the 1600's - 1800's so this was different for me. I did enjoy it, it was interesting but like I said, not really my comfort zone.

"Brigid of Ireland" was a real person, check her out on wiki - HERE. The thing is, I didn't know she was a real person till I was finished and did some research. I previously did not know of any I
Margaret Chind
As a historical novel this was good for bringing in the terms and talk of the Irish, but as a novel it was not quite my cup of tea. Somewhere toward the last third of the book several years were jumped and there was no clue to the time passing that rapidly before. It was rather choppy to me. One day she was a young girl doing what she felt the Lord wished and missing her mother... while the next she was a selfish woman who didn't understand what she wanted. Things just did not really seem to flo ...more
Dee
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it

A young girl has received a gift from the One True God; she has the power to bless and to curse. She uses her power to convert the pagans of Ireland to follow the Truth, Jesus Christ.

I enjoyed the story, but it was not immensely gripping. I could have used some more thrill, but Thomson did throw in the suspense. Reading of the miracles of God performed through Brigid was beautiful and her kindness was touching.

I'm actually at 3.5 stars out of 5, not 4 but not 3...

Brigid of Ireland was a fun li
C.
Fascinating story of Druids and early Irish Christianity in the time of St. Patrick.

This book is one of those exciting stories that you just can't turn the pages fast enough!
It was fascinating to read about the Druid's beliefs and the conflict with early Christian beliefs being introduced by St. Patrick in ancient Ireland. I had never heard or read of St. Brigid, and I loved being introduced to her story through this wonderful historical fiction.

A wonderfully entertaining book, that I highly rec
Amy
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brigid of Ireland is a fictional account of the St. Brigid. Cindy Thomson's historical novel is rich in detail of 5th century Ireland. I admire research she did to make this book possible. I thought the story line flowed well. I loved how Brigid was portrayed as being true and faithful to God and how she was constantly thinking of others. This is a great tribute to her life and a great debut of this author. Recommended. 4 1/2 stars
Janna Ryan
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
A story set in the 5th century in a time of druids and kings and a land of slavery and poverty. A preacher named Patrick is revolutionizing the way people are thinking and Brigid is one of the people converted. She believes in the reality of God and through simple faith and obedience miracles are performed but will the druids just allow that to happen? A beautiful tale of ancient times and places... **** (4 stars) for transporting me to another time and place
Brittany Shears
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A blend of fiction and non fiction I did not know anything about St. Brigid before reading the novel. I throughly enjoyed the story and the knowledge I took away from it. My only problem it seemed to end a bit abruptly, when at other parts it dragged on longer than I felt necessary. Overall a good read and introduction to St. Brigid and the time period in which she lived.
Sheri Salatin
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be a little difficult to follow and quite honestly, it was somewhat boring. I guess that I'm just not into the 15th century. I didn't like the story enough to keep the book. Anyone who is into Ireland lore, would probably like it. Guess that is not me!
Maria Virginia Ross
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent novelized version of the early life of St. Brigid of Ireland. A fun read that now has me speaking with a Gaelic accent. Read my full review here: http://www.saintsandrecipes.com/st-br...
Victoria
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Leigh
Jun 27, 2007 marked it as to-read
Early Christianity British Islands.
Terri
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book, a little hard to keep some of the characters straight, but I enjoyed it very much.
Leslie B Mink
Mar 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 28, 2014 06:04AM
I'm happy to discuss it! 1 9 Feb 15, 2008 12:24PM
  • The Velvet Shadow (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #3)
  • Royal Wedding Threat (Protecting The Crown #5)
  • A Heart for Grace
  • My Amish Boyfriend
  • Summer's Song
  • What Life Was Like Among Druids and High Kings: Celtic Ireland, AD 400-1200 (What Life Was Like)
  • The Rancher's Runaway Princess (Larch Valley #1)
  • Butterbox Babies: Baby Sales, Baby Deaths. The Scandalous Story of the Ideal Maternity Home
  • Katie's Choice (Clover Ridge, #2)
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • The Healer's Touch
  • Psycho-Mommy: A Novel
  • A Doctor for Keeps
  • Service Station Angel
  • The Promise of Peace (Scottish Crown, #4)
  • Marduk's Tablet
  • Love Finds You in Daisy, Oklahoma
  • The Midwife of St. Petersburg
Cindy Thomson is the author of eight books, including her newest novel, Enya’s Son, third in the Daughters of Ireland series based on ancient legends. Being a genealogy enthusiast, she has also written articles for Internet Genealogy and Your Genealogy Today magazines, and children’s short stories for Clubhouse Magazine. She has also co-authored a baseball biography. Most everything she writes ref ...more

Daughters of Ireland (3 books)
  • Pages of Ireland (Daughters of Ireland #2)
  • Enya’s Son (Daughters of Ireland #3)