Start by marking “Kompania braci: Od Normandii do Orlego Gniazda Hitlera, Kompania E 506 pułku spadochronowej 101 Dywizji Powietrznodesantowej” as Want to Read:

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  77,454 Ratings  ·  2,248 Reviews
Opowieść o żołnierzach sławnej amerykańskiej kompanii piechoty spadochronowej od chwili sformowania w lecie 1942 roku i rygorystycznego szkolenia w Stanach Zjednoczonych poprzez lądowanie w Normandii w D-Day aż do zajęcia Orlego Gniazda Hitlera w Obersalzbergu w maju 1945 roku. To właśnie w tej kompanii służył żołnierz, którego losy stały się kanwą scenariusza filmu Szereg ...more
Published August 2001 by Wydawnictwo Magnum (first published June 6th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Kompania braci, please sign up.
Steve Amazon? DVD box sets are readily available. Other historical organizations probably carry it too.
Torrident No the book is based on interviews that Stephen E. Ambrose did with the soldiers from Easy Company. Ambrose was able to interview them while they were…moreNo the book is based on interviews that Stephen E. Ambrose did with the soldiers from Easy Company. Ambrose was able to interview them while they were on a reunion in New Orleans.(less)

Matt
As a history lover, and as someone who loves not getting flamed on Goodreads, I am loathe to say what I am about to say. However, as someone who finds it impossible not to say what I feel like saying, I’ll just go ahead and say it: I don’t like Stephen Ambrose.

No, no, no! Not like that.

I didn’t know him personally, but he seemed like a nice man, a good husband and father. Moreover, he did History an incredible service by collecting the stories of ordinary men. The living memory of World War II
Jason Koivu
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Little good comes from war, however it does tend to create heros and leaders and show people how to love and depend upon their comrades. The bonds built upon the catastrophic ruin that was World War II is the basis of Stephen E. Ambrose's Band of Brothers.

After watching the television miniseries a couple times through and really enjoying it for its humanity, I thought it was time I gave the book a go. There isn't much difference between the two. The timeline and events depicted in the series sta
Dimitri
How many historians does it take to write a bad book that translates into a great TV series ?

While the deeds on Easy Company, encompassing the most famous American battles in the ETO, are a goldmine, mr. Ambrose fails to preserve the thrill in print. The participants don't come to life, even tough they are introduced with the standard sort of pre-war bio in the body of the text and rounded up with a post-war bio. The heat of battle, ironically, is only felt in the icy cold of an Ardennes winter:
Dan
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! Two thumbs up and a booya. I'd give it 6 stars if I could. I saw the HBO series and loved it so I decided to read the book. The book was great too because it gave more information on the war and the men involved. If you have not seen the series, watch it. Then you can call me and tell me how awesome I am for recommending it to you. The really great thing about the show and the book is that it is not all about war. It is the (very accurately) true story about the men of E compan ...more
Riku Sayuj
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Riku by: Nishant Singh
The last few chapters were truly unbearable in their intensity. As the soldiers discover for the first time what the real cost and cruelties of the war they fought was, we too are forced to try and understand this unimaginable thing called war that can never be understood even by the ones that fought in it, let alone by posterity looking back.

There are some things in life that can only ever be expressed in one way - silence - a deep and anguished silence that cries primievally in disbeilieving d
Tristan
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rare indeed are the occasions in which I am forced to proclaim an adaptation of the source material to be not just superior, but vastly so. And here we are, with me feeling duty bound do do exactly that.

description
Paratroopers of Easy Company, in the square of Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, Normandy (June 7, 1944)

Let me be frank right at the start: Ambrose's deficiencies on display as both a writer and historian are truly baffling to behold, and become glaringly obvious once one manages to detach these from the ad
Chris Horsefield
Ambrose's "Band of Brothers" is probably the best ever true WW2 novel I have ever read. It makes an excellent vacation read for those who enjoy this genre. It deals with the individual men of Easy Company, 506 PIR, 101st Airbourne Division. Through Ambrose's portrayal of the men's lives and ordeals he shows how a group of men become not just pals, but brothers. we see the formation of the company through training then on to D-Day, Holland, Bastogne, Germany and Austria. The ending of the novel ( ...more
4triplezed
FINAL REVIEW.

I was a little forgiving early but it got too much. I have just had to write about a few of the many absurdities of this book.

130 pages in and will finish this but if it does not improve it will be lucky to get a 2 star rating. This author called the German soldiers Jerry, babbled about the British army taking tea and attempted to put on a affected accent.

On page 172 it reads "The Germans managed to achieve surprise on a scale comparable with Barbarossa in June 1941 or Pearl Harb
Aleksandr Voinov
I'm shocked to learn that Ambroses taught history. The military history/analysis is pretty poor to appalling. He's good when he talks about Easy Company and relates stories. (Though he states that the book is "very much a group effort" with the men from E Company, so how much of that credit goes to them is anybody's guess, and some events were anonymised and possibly left out to protect people.)

Whenever he attempts military analysis of the actual way/battles, his thoughtless "MURRIKA!" propagand
Melody
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING. I was cold when they were cold, tired with them, hungry with them, and relieved when they left the front lines. I felt like I was there the entire time and could not stop turning the pages. A historical, true, and educational book. Very insightful as to war and the minds of soldiers. Lots of specific military movements, language, and actions. And, of course, violent, bloody, and most everyone dies either in war or in old age.
Luca
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I think it is impossible to review this book completely separate from its miniseries. Especially, because I loved that series so much, and that led to me reading the book. Also, reading this book was a refreshing experience as I do not read history book as often as I would like.

Band of Brothers the book is a very accessible history book if you would ask me. Ambrose’s writing style is straightforward and merely describes Easy Company’s history as he understood it through facts and
jennifer
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good summary of E Company's experience in WW2 that also follows the HBO series fairly closely, this is an interesting, not overly tactical read.

Though, you should be warned that Ambrose editorializes quite a bit throughout the book, e.g., "because we were a democracy, we had better trained soliders and won the war..." and so forth. Statements like that smack a bit of triumphalism to me.

It's also very coarse prose--no elegantly written passages in Band of Brothers. In fact, there a
Malquiviades
Apr 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, spanish-version
Just the stories told in this book made it really superb. It might be one of the best accounts on WWII. Might be it is, but for the annoying comments of Ambrose at every chapter, reminding the reader that they (US) won because the "democratic soldier" had the moral superiority over the German (Nazi) soldier. So, it is difficult to rate it properly.
To win a war or a battle has nothing to do with moral righteousness.
The book will be among the best on WWI if you skip Ambrose's comments on every cha
Anirudh
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been fascinated by WW2. Not because of all the fights and deaths but because it was a struggle in which men around the world came together and fought on against all odds. Band of Brothers tells the story of Easy Company of the 101 first airborne, of men in their own words, idiots who jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

The HBO mini series based on the book led me to this wonderful piece of treasure. Stephen Ambrose collected stories from many surviving Easy Company men and wrote
Leila
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history/war buffs, people who fell in love with the mini-series
Shelves: nonfiction, history
For a history book Band of Brothers is very well written. It is easy for a non-military buff to understand and Ambrose does a great job of bringing the men of Easy to life. It's difficult for me to rate the book impartially because I have already fallen in love with the mini-series. Parts of the book were probably easier to understand because I had the series as a background. The one complaint I had was that, when describing military position and combat details, Ambrose often slips into a slight ...more
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Collin Smith

The subtitle is all the synopsis anyone needs: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest.

Ambrose chose one unit and followed the men of that unit through their years of training, and combat during World War II. He profiles the officers and enlisted men alike, showing their reactions to training, to the regimented lifestyle the military requires, to combat, and to each other. In this way, the reader experiences the boredom of r
Brian
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction, history
Let Me Stay in My Comfortable Life of Freedom

Tom Hanks captivated me with his performance in “Saving Private Ryan,” which starts out with a group of soldiers approaching “Omaha Beach.” They are trembling and shaking and puking. Then the door drops. Then the shit goes down. Then my heart is ever captivated by the heroes of World War 2. I watched this first in surround sound and I cussed so badly my friend protested. It changed my life. I couldn’t believe this had really happened.

Stephen Ambrose,
Stephen
Swithered between 3 and 4 stars for this.
Subject matter was enthralling and these guys really were heroes several times over. I did find the last chapter on what they did post war particularly interesting and not something that you typically get in a WW2 book.
However, I've opted for 3 stars as I was bit disappointed as I had such high expectations for this - found the writing not as great as it could have been with too much detail in some cases and not enough in others. Also there were so many
Mike (the Paladin)
I think many if not most will be familiar with this book as it's not only been around a while, sold well and gotten a lot of notice it's also the inspiration behind a TV edition.

Here we get the story of Easy (E) company of the 506th PIR of the 101 Air Borne Division told by Mr. Ambrose through remembrances of surviving members. it's a highly interesting book giving the story/history of the outfit along with a "slice" of the "everyday war". Things are related with the "dirt still on". The men, t
Chris
Just so you know, this author was accused of plagiarism. It's important that you know this.

Slate Article.

And not possibly made a mistake type either (see Fareed Zakaria. Ambrose did it more than once.

Knowing that fact is important, regardless of how you view the book.
Anna
One of my favorite tv shows and books. I had this book on my tbr stack and decided to get reading it. I have always been interested in the band of brothers and their story. This book was really good and nothing I write will do it justice.
Katie
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
I know this is the vaguest, most non-descript way to begin a review, but...this book is amazing.

A diligent researcher, Ambrose sifted through historical evidence and spoke with family members and, when still possible, the troops themselves--which is an invaluable addition to the book--to humanize the story and tell it as accurately as possible. It's an incredible story to hear, and while I would never say "it's like you're actually there," Ambrose does as good of a job as any in making you feel
Pedro
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
Habría sido perfecto si el autor no hubiera intercalado opiniones personales sobre algunas operaciones de la guerra, a mi parecer, rompen un poco con el espíritu de la crónica. De resto, excelente.
nanto
'From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.'

-Shakespeare; "Henry V"

Membaca buku dan menonton sebuah film memang dua kegiatan berbeda. Namun untuk buku dan film tentang Easy Company 2/506th Regiment, 101st Airborne ini bisa dibilang saling melengkapi.

Ambilah cerita tentang pertempuran merebut meriam Jerman di Brécourt Manor setelah Letnan Winters berhasil menggabungkan dir
Brad
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
There's some serious jingoism going on here -- which is to be expected from Stephen E. Ambrose's histories (but I am okay with that because I know that is who he is before going into any of his books. Besides, he is an historian who can actually write) -- but a recognition of that jingoism doesn't take away from the sheer mind-blowing impressiveness of what Easy Company accomplished in WWII -- and their too good to be true, Hollywood style amazingness is best summed up in the career of Major Ric ...more
Annie
This book was just not worth the hype in the end, and in my opinion the fault lies solely with the author. Like many others who had seen the Band of Brothers HBO miniseries (which was really excellent), I naturally turned to the book, hoping for more insights. I was disappointed. I'm necessarily saying the miniseries was more accurate than the book, because it had its mistakes, but I felt that it managed to convey the stories of the men of the 101st much better. Perhaps it was the medium. Ambros ...more
Darrell
Amazing. This book details an Paratrooper division that was involved in many key battles during WWII in Europe. It gave an outstanding account of the hardship these soldiers suffered. It was sufficiently graphic to realistically explain the horrors of war; but was not over the top.

Sometimes I had a hard time following where the men were and what they were doing. I also didn't understand all the army acronyms used in this book to describe the chain of command.
Jessica
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
A classic due to the mini TV-series based on this book. Having seen the TV-series first and not having read up on the differences between them (TV-series contains more material) I expected this one to be more detailed than it was. However it is still an interesting book and worth the read.
Nathan Moore
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww-ii
For someone who is new to reading military history and WWII this is an entertaining read. As the title implies, the author focuses around the men of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne and describes the war from their perspective. The book is full of grimy details that serve to anchor the horrific reality of war into the minds of civilians far removed from conflict.

Ambrose is largely unconcerned with many of the questions historians ask. Instead, he asks the questions of a biographer. Causes for
John
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Ambrose (or whoever wrote the material he used) relates the history of Easy Company 506 PIR from Camp Toccoa where they were trained to Berchtesgaden at the war's end and how they remained close after the war despite the geographical separation.

Though no great stylist, Ambrose (or whoever) moves the story along easily and clearly. That's the good news.

The bad news is that, 1) He plays fast and loose with the facts. For example he says that Fritz Niland was not immediately pulled off the
English 1 H Period 8: Band of Brothers Book Review 1 1 Sep 15, 2017 11:02AM
Play Book Tag: Band of Brothers / Stephen E Ambrose - 4**** 1 11 Jul 14, 2017 06:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please correct release/published date 3 17 May 24, 2017 12:42PM
Mrs.Shiels' Honor...: True American Heroes 2 14 May 29, 2014 08:18PM
Akins Hollis Engl...: SSR Band of Brothers 1 5 Sep 09, 2011 07:56AM
Akins Hollis Engl...: SSR 1 4 Sep 02, 2011 12:28PM
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
  • With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • The Longest Day
  • The Pacific
  • The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (The Liberation Trilogy - 2)
  • A Soldier's Story
  • We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle that Changed the War in Vietnam
  • Triumph and Tragedy (The Second World War, #6)
  • Black Hawk Down
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

More about Stephen E. Ambrose

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance
  • Catch Me If You Can
    $10.99 $1.99
“In one of his last newsletters, Mike Ranney wrote: "In thinking back on the days of Easy Company, I'm treasuring my remark to a grandson who asked, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?'
No,'" I answered, 'but I served in a company of heroes.”
106 likes
“Within Easy Company they had made the best friends they had ever had, or would ever have. They were prepared to die for each other; more important, they were prepared to kill for each other.” 23 likes