Start by marking “Zombie: An Anthology of the Undead. Edited by Christopher Golden” as Want to Read:
Zombie: An Anthology of the Undead. Edited by Christopher Golden

Zombie: An Anthology of the Undead. Edited by Christopher Golden

(Otherworld Stories)

Resurrection!
The hungry dead have risen. They shamble down the street. They hide in back yards, car lots, shopping malls. They devour neighbors, dogs and police officers. And they are here to stay. The real question is, what are you going to do about it? How will you survive?
How will the world change when the dead begin to rise?
Stoker-award-winning author Christopher Gol
Published 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Zombie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie

Becky
Hmm... I should probably review this or something, eh? I actually really liked this, but at the moment I find myself having very little to say in a real review. (Or a Becky review, which isn't the same thing.)

Most of the stories were very good, with a couple gems and a few stinkers. Some I just didn't get at all, and one failed to convey why it was part of a zombie anthology in the first place. Shooting Pool, I'm lookin' at you. Otherwise, a really good and varied collection of stories. Some wit
Rachel
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie fans
This is a really awesome zombie anthology with new stories from some great authors. Lots of new twists on zombies.

my top 5 faves were:

"Family Business" by Jonathan Maberry- one of the longer stories, more of a novella, about two brothers. One is apprenticing the other in the "family business"-killing zombies-but it's not your typical violent, shoot-em-up story. Lots of heart, great relationship created between the two brothers, not perfect but realistic.

"The Wind Cries Mary" by Brian Keene-very
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jonathan Maberry, John, Rhiannon Frater, Ikeysia Riley, Tre Zombie
What an amazing anthology! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this collection of never-before-published stories featuring my favorite creatures of the night: ZOMBIES!!!

*giggle

Each and every story was unique and fascinating. Here is my rating of the individual stories (from fav to least fave):

The Storm Door (*****) DAMN GOOD STORY!
Lazarus (*****) Awesome. Beautifully written.
Copper (*****) Woooow. Eeeerily poetic.
Twittering from the Circus of the Dead (*****) Downright frightening
Delice (*****) Haun
Chris
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 brains.

I'm just going to cheat and copy my status updates here for the individual stories. All in all, it's a pretty good collection. More good stories that turds, which is a good thing to find in an anthology.

"Lazerus" was cool & intriguing. (3 stars).
"What Maisie Knew" kicked serious ass. (5 stars).
"Copper" ehh, not so much. (1 star).
"In the Dust" - very cool. I love a good aftermath story. (4 stars).
"Life Sentence" - creepy and well told abuse of power story. (3.5 stars).
"Delice" - me
ZOMB
ZOMBI
ZOMBIE
ZOMBIES!!

What more do you need than a book full of Zombies!
Great read.
Kathy
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, read-in-2010
Lazarus by John Conolly - This one was pretty good. It gave a new spin to an old and very well-known bible story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. I guess, I assumed, like I'm sure alot of people did that when he was risen he was "alive", but this makes us wonder...what if he wasn't? (3 stars)

What Maisie Knew by David Liss - This is my favorite so far. What a unique story, with a great ending twist. Kind of part mystery, part dystopian. I really enjoyed this one! (4 stars)

Copper by Stephen
Kemper
A decent collection of zombie stories with a lot of variation from the usual George Romero-style zombie apocalypse. Stand outs include Joe Hill’s story told as a collection of Tweets from a bored teen-age girl on a family vacation that includes attending a zombie circus and Jonathan Maberry’s touching Family Business. Surprisingly, Joe Lansdale’s contribution isn’t really a zombie story at all so it seems a bit out of place despite being one of the better tales included.
Jennifer Wardrip
Although there were a few duds in this one, there are also some really top-notch stories. Honestly, I'd implore you to pick up a copy of THE NEW DEAD simply to read THE FAMILY BUSINESS by Jonathan Maberry, which is the first zombie story I've read that's ever managed to make me cry.
Dustin
Apr 04, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Holly
Shelves: zombie-lit

There are several great writers here, but the deciding factor for me was Tad Williams. (I'm on a Williams kick right now!)
Kris the_book_adventurer
For my first ever read of zombie stories, this anthology actually wasn't too bad. I wasn't exactly thrilled to indulge myself with a book about flesh-eating creatures and death-related elements, but I was quite entertained for the most part! The main reason I picked up this books to begin with was because Joe Hill has a featured story here, and I am glad to say his did not disappoint!! There were 19 short stories total, and they each brought their own unique take on zombies and the "afterlife" o ...more
Philip
Like most such collections, a mixed bag - one great, several good, and a number of meh stories; as well as one (Shooting Pool) that I had NO idea why it was included, since there wasn't a zombie anywhere in sight.

Jonathan Maberry's Family Business is the longest and best story, a touching, Western-tinged tale of two brothers coming to terms with their personal loss. Other standouts include the "28 Days Later"-like In The Dust, Lazarus, and Twittering From the Circus of the Dead. The rest range f
Sana Zameer
"Eating brains, my friends, is not sexy."
Christopher Golden
Fiction State Of Mind
I've mentioned before my love/hate relationship with antholigies in the past. I couldn't pass up the lure of 19 new zombie stories by some of today's top authors. This book was lots of fun so I'm going to highlight my favorites in the following : The Good The Bad and The Ok

The Good

I'm going to start at the end with Joe HIll's
Twittering From The Circus Of The Dead

I love Twitter! and Joe Hill was the author who introduced twitter to me :) TYME2WASTE is the sign on name of Blake a young teenager w
Chrystal
Out of all of the short stories, I would say that I enjoyed a third of them. Some were just not my cup of tea, while others completely drew me in. Due to the fact that there are so many different authors in this one book, you really get to taste a bite of their unique writing styles and I have come to find a handful of new authors that I had never heard of. I'll list a few of the short stories I really liked and review them a little.

In The Dust by Tim Lebbon
This short story brings you into a sec
Sonatajessica
Ohhh, Anthologies. Ohhhh, Zombies. I do love thee both and am delighted to find you combined. With a wide range in topic, mood and structure this ones gives a strong punch, Zombie lovers do not hesitate and Zombie skeptics take a look at what Zombie stories are capable of.
I wouldn't rate any single story lower than a 2 which is saying something for a collection, at least I find it rare not to have a full disappointment. Some big names and some interesting surprises, seriously I had a lovely time
Trudi
I'm giving this three stars because overall, the stories are okay and several are completely forgettable. But I also encourage you to pick up this anthology because a few are outstanding and it would be a crying shame if you missed them.

Making it to Outstanding:

"What Maisie Knew" by David Liss:
At turns creepy, sick and disturbing; absolute compelling reading. If this premise has come up before, it was new to me and I loved it. The zombies are not the monsters of this story. The squick factor i
Gerd
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading a complaint about anthologies in general that went down to something like "The quality in stories varies too much"
I'm so tempted to second this notion for "The new dead"

There are a lot of better edited anthologies out there, no doubt, although the highlights (most notable Jonathan Maberry's entry) are worth it anyway.

Fact is that the writing is extremely varied both in style, which is a good, and in writing quality, which is a not so good; frankly I couldn't help but wonder ho
Monster
The New Dead tries to play around a bit with the very idea of the zombie story, experimenting with both the concept of a zombie (such as in “Copper” by Stephen R. Bissette) and the story form itself (“Twittering from the Circus of the Dead” by Joe Hill, which is told in Twitter form). Sadly, outside of the contributions by the powerhouses of the zombie genre many of the stories fall flat.

Brian Keene, Max Brooks and Jonathan Maberry all deliver strong stories, as does Kelley Armstrong (who succes
Danielle
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you thought there was nothing new to say about the undead... this is a - can I say? - fun collection of zombie tales. I liked the way that each of the authors had a different axe to grind about how the zombie-human throwdown might end up - some put humans in the winner's seat and imagined what that might mean for ethics and zombie exploitation, although most saw a darker future for humans and civilization in general.

Personal favourites included a tale told entirely in Tweets by one of
Angela
Found this book in HMV for £1 so I couldn't really pass it up at that price. I had already read some short stories and books by some of the contributors (Joe R. Lansdale and Max Brooks to name two) so that tempted me further.

There are some excellent stories in this collection. In fact, there wasn't a single story I disliked for one reason or another.

Each author contributing takes the idea of 'zombie' and makes it their own. Some are rather traditional in their descriptions of the walking undead;
Schnaucl
This is a good, solid anthology. There were a few weaker stories but for the most part I thought Golden made good choices.

I particularly liked Jonathan Maberry's story and I was happy to learn that it's being expanded into a book. Family Business made me think about zombies in a different way and I'm very much looking forward to exploring the world he's created.

Max Brooks has a story that would fit perfectly in World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

There really are quite a number of go
Jason
All stories within The New Dead are well done, but there are four that blew me away, for one reason or another--typically because they managed to frighten and/or disturb me. They are:

Lazerus by John Connolly
What Massie Knew by David Liss
Kids and Their Toys by James A. Moore
Twittering From the Circus of the Dead by Joe Hill

I'd also like to mention Family Business by Jonathan Maberry. Although this one did not disturb me, I found it very interesting and entertaining.

I was surprised that I liked th
Anne Marsh
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
I almost didn't pick up this book because of the cover-- your traditional rotting, bloody zombie pic. I don't enjoy horror (or don't think I do), but the stories inside were a fabulous introduction both to the authors and to the zombie genre. John Connolly's "Lazarus" is the perfect kick-off: a re-telling of the Lazarus story from the Bible. For urban fantasy and paranormal romance readers, Kelley Armstrong has a strong contribution in "Life Sentence"-- if you love her "Women of the Other Kind," ...more
Ashley
Around The Year In 52 Books: Week 31: A Book From A Sub-Genre Of Your Favorite Genre (Post-Apocalyptic -- Zombies)

Zombie-tastic! Really good collection of zombie stories. I liked this. It was a good anthology.

Andrew Neal
This was a lot better than I expected. I read it for the Joe Hill story, but it was far from my favorite; the fact that his story was written in the form of tweets (from twitter.com) had a lot to do with that. I mean, that was cute, but I didn't enjoy it.

Like most anthologies, there were some dull stories, some perfectly capable stories which didn't mesh with my sensibilities, and some which I liked a good deal. The percentage of good was higher than usual for me, though.

I think I'll read Patien
Brian Taylor
As with many anthologies, there were good stories and stories that didn't appeal to me. The problem is the cohesion of the anthology. Some of the stories don't fit in with the others and it takes away from the experience. With that being said, one of my favorites was Life Sentence, by Kelley Armstrong. James A. Moore always brings something good to the table too. Zombie lovers will find something to like with this one, however casual fans may want to steer clear.
Marie
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection with some real gems. "The Family Business" and "The Storm Door" in particular stand out.
Marcus
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some excellent tales in here, especially Joe Hill's effort.
Meran
For the 19 stories in the anthology, I got 3.8 stars. However, 13 of the stories were in the 4 and 5 star category. Unfortunately, one was so bad that I couldn't give it even ONE star. It brought the overall rating down. So I rounded it up to 4, which is where it would be if I hadn't counted that story. There were only 3 stinkers. However, this book is still HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

The impact of these stories is very strong: sadness over the loss of control of our lives, loss of loved ones, the corru
Eva Leger
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eva by: B&N
I'll expand on most, if not all, of these later but I don't want to forget each story.

(rating - 2.5) (8 pgs.) Lazarus by John Connolly wasn't bad but it was stranger than anything I've ever come across and I didn't like the religious aspect to it.
(rating - 4) (33 pgs.) What Maisie Knew by David Liss was awesome and I'm hoping this is pulled from a whole book so I can read more.
(rating - 1) (35 pgs.) Copper by Stephen R. Bissette sucked. I read two or three pages and skipped the entire story. I
21st Century Ghos...: The New Dead 6 33 Dec 10, 2012 09:33PM

• The Living Dead 2 (The Living Dead, #2)
  • Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead
  • History is Dead
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Zombie CSU
  • Monster Nation (Monster Island, #2)
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!
  • Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly
  • Eden
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Empire (Empire #1)
  • Down the Road
  • Zombie, Ohio
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)
“What have you taken from me, and from what have you taken me?” 0 likes