Start by marking “Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality” as Want to Read:
Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality

Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality

How the world's leading innovators push their ideas to fruition again and again

Edison famously said that genius is 1 percent inspiration, 99 percent perspiration. Ideas for new businesses, solutions to the world's problems, and artistic breakthroughs are common, but great execution is rare.

According to Scott Belsky, the capacity to make ideas happen can be developed
Published April 15th 2010 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2010)

Start your review of Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
John
Jun 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
I'm of two minds about this book. If you're looking for a "how to," read Getting Things Done instead. The "how" of making tasks happen is more pragmatically covered there.

What's compelling about Belsky's book is the sense he gives that many, many conversations led into this book. If you read it as a catalogue of the simple things effective creatives do, there's some things to learn here. Otherwise, it's not terribly compelling.
Nicole Harkin
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Belsky, of www.behance.net, does a great job explaining to artists, photographers, and writers how to go about organizing their work flows to maximize their output. I read the book over the last few weeks and have already seen the results. My boss mentioned I was getting a lot of stuff done and asked if I felt overwhelmed with work. Cute.

The book is organized broadly into three areas: Organization and Execution, Community, and Leadership Capability.

So his organizational system goes something
Marcus
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even though it is written by a different author, this book reads like a sequel to David Allen's über-famous Getting Things Done (GTD), only this time geared specifically toward the broad category of anyone who creates, a.k.a. creative people. Like GTD, the concepts here aren't particularly exciting but I'm hoping that like GTD, they'll be life-changing.

Since reading GTD several years ago the concepts of "what's the next action" and having a trusted system for tracking projects have become firmly
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
Although this book, Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality by Scott Belsky seems to be marketed towards the creative people and/or people in creative settings, I think this book is for everyone, whether youre an entrepreneur, employee, at-home parent, or a retiree and/or is working on a side projects, professionally or personally, we all have ideas (small or big) that were are working to bring it to life & projects to its completion, but many of us struggle ...more
Marie Poulin
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dss
This book was exactly what I needed. As a creative that struggles with project management, timelines and tasks, this outlines a very practical system for actually getting things done daily. I've read "Getting Things Done", but I actually found this even more simplified and practical. It's all about thinking about everything as a Project, and learning to always create actionable items.
I personally found myself going "AH, YES, that's totally what I've been missing!", however, some of those
Angie
Nov 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-clubbers
Written founder of Behance, a company aimed at helping creative individuals become more productive. This book aims to share best-of practices. Despite the amount of knowledge Belskey must have on the topic, and the research that went into this book, the book was a major disappointment. I didn't learn much and struggled to find interesting, novel ideas here.

Belskey divided the book into three sections (Organization and Execution; The Forces of Community; Leadership Capacity). He first summarized
Alan Briggs
So good for any entrepreneurs!
Emma Sea
Alex
Overall
A cool book. Too much non-connected stuff sometimes.
Still Action n Method is well defined. And watching on execution through creative professional lens worked for me.

Recap
Genius: 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. - Thomas Edison

Output-oriented creatives get recognition even w/o support of critics (James Patterson and 100+ bestsellers.)

So only finished projects make sense, not the ideas themselves.
Everything is a project.

Action Method:
1. Action Steps. To do lost with focus on what
Eric
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Belskys main idea is that creative people tend to have lots of ideas on how to improve products or services, but they have difficulty executing those ideas. And thats crucial because ideas are cheap. We have tons of ideas that come and go. But success only comes to those who can execute. Belsky believes that making ideas happen is simply a matter of satisfying a formula: Ideas + Organization and Execution + Forces of Community + Leadership Capability. With the exception of ideas, he then focuses ...more
Stefan-Iulian Tesoi
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
This is my second time reading this book, the first time being about two years ago. I don't usually read a book twice or more unless it's worth it so without further introduction let's get into the good stuff.

The primary takeaway from this book would be the Action Method which has three components: Action Steps, References, and Backburner Items. The action steps are all the incremental objectives that you have to take in order to move forward
Boni Aditya
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book from Scott Belsky that I have read and I am impressed. The book begins slow but the crux of the book lies towards the end of the book. I have previously read his other book - THE MESSY MIDDLE. This book has a contrast with respect to the other book since he gives apt examples for each of the concepts he presents not merely from his personal experience but from his encounters with other creatives. Every concept that he presents in this book is for LEADERS! People who wish ...more
Jinnie Lee
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is written by a guy who was interested in organization and productivity within the creative business community (designers, etc.), whom he observered was awash in great ideas but too many failed to get implemented or were not implemented successfully. So he put together a productivity "system" for this audience, as well as an online community where they can support each other in developing the habits, as well as sharing work for feedback and sharing job opportunities. The "system" he ...more
Allen Plummer
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's interesting that so many reviewers on Goodreads feel passionately about this book one way or the other. I personally, greatly enjoyed the book, but will fully admit to enjoying the Behance website 99u. I also knew enough of the book to realize that it is in fact about how a creative individual produces results, not the usual "break out your inner creative" peptalk used by so many authors.

For serious artists who have more ideas than time, the temptation to move onto a new project constantly
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive, unfocused, and generally unremarkable. The only thing that kept me reading were the occasional one-liners that really did encapsulate intelligent thoughts about productivity, teamwork, and focus.

This book varied between theoretical ramblings that were vague to the point of being useless and excerpted interviews with famous people who talked about their productivity philosophies. I wish there had been more direct suggestions about productivity techniques and combining creative
Elaine Nelson
I've been torn between giving this 1 or 2 stars, or 4 stars, so 3 it is. The good parts are fascinating, and I think potentially very useful to me in work and at home. Some smart techniques and interesting quotes. I may even recommend it to my colleagues.

On the other hand...it's hard for me to take seriously a book that uses "thought leader" non-ironically. And so it has a lot of that sort of thing going on: oh, look, there's Chris Anderson! Malcolm Gladwell! IDEO! etc., etc. And plenty of
Michael Rubin
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I'm resistant to popular new business books. Part of it is a natural urge to go against the grain, but all too often, I usually finish one of these titles feeling that the information is obsolete and inapplicable. I'm delighted to say that this is NOT one of those cases.

"Making Ideas Happen" is definitely not a "flavor of the month" book. The ideas and concepts are geared toward artists, but the productivity lessons here are perfect for anyone trying to effect change within an
Kamal
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book talks big but doesn't deliver. As many other readers have noted, David Allen's GTD is much better and will actually help you realize goals and projects. I would also recommend Twyla Tharp's book, The Creative Habit, instead of this schlock. Belsky's book, on the other hand, is just a protracted advertisement for his company, Behance. Disappointing, bland and surprisingly useless.
Wes Baker
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
While this book has plenty of good points (taking responsibility, using your time wisely, improving teams) I feel that it's more of a rehash or a summary of recent rediscoveries. It's worth a read if you've been out of touch with productivity, time management and team dynamics, but if you've been paying attention, I wouldn't take the time to read this book.
Rowena Morais
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title : Making Ideas Happen. Overcoming the Obstacles between Vision and Reality
Author : Scott Belsky
Published by : Portfolio Trade
Year of publication: 2012
ISBN-10: 1591844118
ISBN-13: 13 978 1591844112
Detail : Paperback
Availability: Borders

The way to get things done.

I am sure that the challenge created by the gap between the things we think wed like to achieve and what we actually achieve is one that many of us face. So it is always interesting, for me especially, to read or find out more about
Zafer Za
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a must-read for those who want to realize an idea. Clear guidelines and related examples.
Jk Baseer
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is like a daily reminder or a daily tip book which I was reading while traveling every morning to office in the bus.

The books cover on the topic of organization and execution, the forces of community and Leadership capability.

Each topic has lot of sub-topics but there are really an extraordinary sub-topics which are thought provoking to realize how we have been working so far.

Few points which I would recommend to any one

1. Action method by Scott Belsky:
He recommends that Each projects
Anil Bhat
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Some tips from this book:

Action Method for creative projects - involves organizing the project into Action Steps, References and Backburner items.
List down all your projects based on the level of energy that it requires - Extreme, High, Medium, Low, Idle. Projects placed at the Extreme end should be the most important for the time being.

- keep 2 lists for action steps, one for urgent and one for important and preserve different periods of time to focus on these
- choose 5 projects that matter the
Joe Woolworth
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: creatives
One of the problems I have as a freelance guy is finding a productivity system that works. I have tried a couple different types of strategies to organize my workflow, but the problem is: I GET BORED.

I am a creative person and so one of my least favorite things is spending time on the details and not on the ideas. But, I know it is necessary and I am actually pretty good with the details, however normal productivity plans havent seemed to work for me.

That is why when I read what this book was
Book Calendar
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, marketing
Making Ideas Happen Overcoming The Obstacles Between Vision and Reality by Scott Belsky Founder and CEO of Behance

Scott Belsky is a very much a new media type of writer. He is the CEO of Behance which is a social networking platform for creative professionals. I took a look at the site and it is a shared image database of advertisements, designs, and illustrations. It is quite interesting to look at http://www.behance.com/Products/Creat... The site has a new media, trendy feeling to it which is
Jeff
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read this year. (There's a free iPhone app, Action Method, to go along with the book as well.)

Here are some key points:

The Forces that Make Ideas Happen:
Organization & Execution + Forces of Community + Leadership Capability

The way you organize projects, prioritize and manage your energy is arguably more than the quality of the ideas you wish to pursue.

The truth is, creativity isn't about wild talent as much as it's about productivity. To find a few ideas that
Dave Emmett
I really enjoyed this book. In a way, I feel like it was written just me for me: I have tons of 'great' ideas, but I very rarely act on them because it's easier to just think I'm a genius and go about my day. The challenge, as this book points out, is to commit to, and execute your ideas. Coming up with ideas is easy, and ultimately it's not really all that valuable if ideas aren't executed.

I was thinking about this when I watched The Social Network: the brothers who 'came up' with Facebook
Joseph McBee
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is for creative types. You know, the ones who are long on ideas and short on execution. This book is written for those who want to do great things but keep being lured away by the next shiny idea. This book will help you get things done. It is project management for the creative soul.

Scott Belsky knows his audience and he speaks their language. He knows how to keep creatives reading and interested. He knows how to help us make things happen.

I greatly apprecited the simple--but not
Tanja Laden
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Based on the conditions in which artists thrive as professionals Behance founder Scott Belsky reveals his formula for creative success in Making Ideas Happen.

Just like his Behance Network, which offers artists an online portfolio-sharing platform, Belskys book offers motivation to put concepts into practice, outlining key steps in the execution of ideas. Referencing a framework that involves inspiration, organization, and leadership, its a step-by-step primer for making your own creative dreams
Shawn Pfunder
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Worth it.

If you're a creative person who's looking for some insight when it comes to simple organization and execution, this may fit the bill. The story about the violin player is inspirational and very telling. You might have the most beautiful music in the world to share with others, but unless you figure out how to package and deliver it, no one is going to hear a note.

As a bonus: the section towards the end of the book on leadership is spot-on. I can personally vouch for many of the points
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please remove me as Editor 2 161 Aug 08, 2013 10:13AM

• Free: The Future of a Radical Price
  • Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity
  • Rework
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Poke the Box
  • Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • The Thank You Economy
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything
  • Anything You Want
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
  • All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World
  • Do the Work
  • Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything

News & Interviews

“An idea can only become a reality once it is broken down into organized, actionable elements.” 35 likes
“Most ideas are born and lost in isolation.” 11 likes