Start by marking “The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow” as Want to Read:
The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow

The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow

“This breakthrough ‘how to’ book offers a practical and comprehensive framework that shows companies how to use price to drive profits from diverse customer segments in offensive and defensive (recession, inflation, and new competitor) situations.” — Richard Spaulding, Member of the Board of Directors, Scholastic Corporation

Rafi Mohammed, author of The Art of Pricing, show
Published March 16th 2010 by HarperBusiness

To ask other readers questions about The 1% Windfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 1% Windfall

Blakely
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I borrowed this book from a colleague. She said she only skimmed it because she wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it. This probably should have been a clue that it wasn't a great read but I actually like reading about pricing so I took it up anyway - bad move.

This is about 20 pages of content put into 200 pages. The first chapter or two are fairly interesting but I learned very little that was new. I may have come away with different terminology but no new ideas.

The remaining 180 pages w
Kevin Eikenberry
I choose to recommend it because it deals with a topic that is a mystery to many in my world. While it may not be a need for all who are reading this, for those of you who do need it, I strongly recommend you read it.

The book is based on two basic premises:

The best pricing approach is based on value (and there are many types of value people see in any potential purchase).
Changing your pricing upward in even a small way – say 1% – can have a drastic impact on your bottom line.
- See more at: http:
Ajay Palekar
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Business is not a field where it takes exceptional experience, technical training, or intelligence to understand what works and what doesn't. The very life that we live is often the best training grounds for a common sense intuition about how people will react to the decisions we make and this in turn informs the best business decisions.

For these reasons, I often avoid reading books like "The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow" -- they err on the side of selection
Paul LaFontaine
When pricing products there are more dimensions to consider than simply a price on a tag. From variable pricing, price choices and financing the savvy businessperson will understand that the levers to pull to create a 1% increase in pricing that yields a disproportionate impact on profits.

I had to pull out from this one. The ideas were great, the presentation I found difficult. The concept of a "price blossom" is clever. I will keep this as a reference but can't recommend it as a breezy read.

R
Matt Watkinson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pricing
A absolutely first rate primer on pricing.
Skebodog Moruti
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
amazing
Rutger-Jan
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Started OK, but ran out of steam quickly. Could have been booklet.
Sophie
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
as always, wonderful in this contemporary with no fantastic or elements but a surprise in the ending!
Stephen Chung
It is OK if you are new to the subject. It is nothing new if you have studied it before. The book could have been written much better, as it is not very engaging and very dry. And it stays at very basic level. Overall, it is OK as an introductory book.
TJ
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Arjun
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a 3/5 for the same reason most "business" books are a 3/5 -- while it has a lot of fantastic information, after reading, I felt like it was twice as long as it needed to be, filling the blanks with enough examples to make you wan to gouge your eyes out.

The introduction and Chapters 1 through 4 are great. Rafi provides a really good overview of the foundations of value pricing and some basic strategies for formulating a pricing plan. Highly recommend reading through this portion.

The rest of
Jose Papo
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You must read this book if you want to price your product or service. Its amazing the range of strategies and tactics available to price something and to have more revenues and profits. Fundamental reading to entrepeneurs ...more
Mark Polino
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I wanted more from this pricing books. There are lots of descriptions of the type, methods and options for pricing. The end provided more specifics for various industries but I never really found that crucial nugget to tackle a pricing conundrum.
Alex Devero
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Finding the ideal price is a struggle for many companies. Find out what strategies can you use to think ahead and plan for every market eventuality so your profits keep you growing even in the worst of times!
Dana Kraft
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
It'll get you thinking about your pricing.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A practical, plainspoken guide to pricing strategy and tactics.
Chris
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Helpful to understand the impact and power of pricing
Arsham Mazaheri
rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
amir
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2016
Hrishi
Apr 13, 2016

• Bankable Business Plans
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Thinking Statistically
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy