Start by marking “A Leader's Legacy” as Want to Read:
A Leader's Legacy

A Leader's Legacy

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  269 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In this provocative book, leadership experts and authors of the best-selling "The Leadership Challenge, " Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner take on a unique challenge and explore the question of leadership and legacy. Kouzes and Posner examine in twenty-two chapters the critical questions all leaders must ask themselves in order to leave a lasting impact. These powerful essays a ...more
Published December 22nd 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Leader's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Leader's Legacy

Marti
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book the authors explore the premise that every leader wants to leave a legacy. They outline critical questions, grouped into four categories - Significance, Relationships, Aspirations, and Courage - that all leaders must ask themselves in order to leave a lasting influence.

Leadership isn’t just a position in an organization; rather it’s the perspective that everyone, regardless of position, can make a difference. Leadership is everybody’s business. Leadership is learnable. It does not
Joel Gibbons
Listened to the audio version. I'll go back and skim through the book before my next SIM RLF session. This book includes a great collection of thoughts about some really key and sometimes tough topics around leadership.
Colin
A series of short essays that identify what Kouzes and Posner believe are the qualities of a good leader.
Goes down easy.
Michael Strite
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book on leadership. It was very practical.
Klenam Fiadzoe
I didn't like this book in the beginning but as i progressed i began to see very poignant evidence of leadership even among my peers and myself.
Chris
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
PIcked this back up yesterday and finished the last half. Each chapter is an essay. Mostly common sense. But for me the entire book was worth this one idea:

If the leader is not able to think/see beyond the end the last project, he's redundant and no better prepared than the others on the team who are managing that project.

Leaders must see beyond the immediate challenges and even beyond last project in the queue.

Someone's gotta be Jacob seeing Canaan even if it's 30 years out . . .

If a leader
Kristin
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I picked up this book when preparing a lecture on legacy for our Student Organization Leadership Retreat.

The introduction mentioned that they had been challenged to write a different kind of book. This WAS a departure from their normal style with lots of short (3 page) entries. I found some to be repetitive and some unique. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but am hard pressed to write this summary without looking at some notes to remember the content.

My Tweet: Leaders: courageous and relat
P.J. LaRue
I read this book as part of a leadership class I'm taking. I liked that the book dealt with more current issues and leaders than some of the other books we've read.

The book was on target when it said that leaders are in the position to serve. I find myself asking my staff what is impeding them from completing their work. I see myself as responsible for removing those impediments.

The book also indicates that a true leader is effective when he or she understands his or her goals and these goals a
Tony Jr.
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
As a leader concerned about my legacy this book's title immediately caught my eye. Judging by some of the reviews I wasn't sure Id like it much but I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful content. This book is organized into 21 essays on different topics, some of my favorites were: Leaders serve and sacrifice, The best leaders are teachers, Leaders should want to be liked, Lead from the inside out, and The legacy you leave is the life you live. Im very happy I didn't pass up this leadership ...more
Stephanie
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
"One of the most powerful legacies you can leave is to turn every person...into a teacher. When they become fully engagedin the experience of learning, ... people will realize that within them is unused capactiy and untapped potential."

My boss recommended this book - he ordered one for everyone in the office. I couldn't lovate his favorite quote, which is also powerful , so I opened to a random page and found my own; I love a book where each page has something poignant to offer.

I'll post a revi
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • Courage: The Backbone of Leadership
  • Leadership for a Better World: Understanding the Social Change Model of Leadership Development
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Churchill on Leadership: Executive Success in the Face of Adversity
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success: Building Blocks for a Better Life
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • Who Owns the Learning? Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance
“Anyone who’s ever been in a leadership role quickly learns that you’re squeezed between others’ lofty expectations and your own personal limitations. You realize that while others want you to be of impeccable character, you’re not always without fault. You learn that you can’t see around every corner, and even if you know your way forward everyone may not end up at the same destination, let alone be on time. You discover that despite your best efforts to introduce brilliant innovations, most of them don’t succeed. You find that you sometimes get angry and short, and that you don’t always listen carefully to what others have to say. You’re reminded that you don’t always treat everyone with dignity and respect. You recognize that others deserve more credit than they get, and that you’ve failed to say thank you. You know that sometimes you get, and accept, more credit than you deserve. In other words, you realize that you’re human.” 1 likes
“People commit to causes, not to plans.” 0 likes