Start by marking “The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook

The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook

(The Hardy Boys)

Relates seven cases in which the Hardy brothers use police technology to track down criminals. Details of these techniques and precedures are given in the last five chapters.
Published October 1st 1972 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Cyd
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alas, having finished all 58 of the Hardy Boys books (original series, 1920s-1950s, re-edited 1960s-1970s), this is all that's left. Fun mixture of mini-adventures plus detective how-to.

I'll miss you, Frank and Joe. Thanks for all the great adventures and mysteries!
Onysha
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This is way more technical than the Nancy Drew counterpart. What is going on, Grosset & Dunlap?

I like the in-depth chapters on surveillance, fingerprinting, and the judicial system. They are quite informative but technical and dry. You should be able to find better, more readable articles about them on the Internet or something. The funny thing is that there are chapters on criminal slang and drugs. So if some kids were able to fluently purchase illegal drugs after reading this I
Drew Raley
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Learn how to tail a criminal through city streets! Learn the slang to go undercover into the "hep" drug subculture! Learn how to defeat the criminal element in your town! Make no mistake: taking any of the information of this book out into the real world will most assuredly get you killed. However, this is a terrific snapshot of a time when Glad Bags were called "glassine" bags, and the drugs you put into them were called "scag," "nose candy," and "stuff." Wonderful artifacts from the boys' adve ...more
Jessica
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As a child, I loved the Hardy Boys series. I remember that when I saw this Detective handbook on the bookstore shelf, I was so excited. I read and reread this book so many times. It was so exciting for a young child to learn about fingerprinting and taking shoe prints. This book is really such an exciting and wholesome book for anyone who is starting to read on their own or who loves to read mysteries.
Scott
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from childhood. It would be cool if they could update this with current forensic science for a YA audience. I read the 1972 edition. I just discovered the original was 1959. It would be interesting to compare the two editions.
Ethan Hulbert
I have the version published in '59 with the help of D.A. Spina, an ex-cop who, after this book was published, was caught up in a corruption scandal in New Jersey. That's why the re-published next edition of the book has a different guy consulting instead.

This is a fun book on crime solving that is hopelessly, hilariously out of date today, which is really where a lot of the fun comes from. If a criminal catches you using the slang defined in this book, you might just kill them with
June Jacobs
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book for readers of all ages!

The first few chapters are fictional accounts of police cases in which the Hardy Boys assisted their father. The final few chapters are non-fiction about police and detective procedures such as fingerprinting, surveillance, and evidence collection.

-------------------------

Borrowed through the public library's interlibrary loan system.

##############

Jack
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ate these up as a kid and usually got them as gifts for birthdays, Christmas and other events. This edition would be quite dated now and I believe they have updated the books. The author was a pseudonym for a plethora of writers who contributed to this series.
Liz Mcrae
Read the whole series through mid 1960’s publishings.
Anna
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a gem.
Chuck White

Great book, brought back fond memories and is still relevant. If only kids today still read books.

Hanne T
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, series
this was so much more cheesy detective-y than usual (which = A LOT bc it's usually very cheesy detective-y) but it was a cool read and taught a lot
Aaron DeMott
Feb 10, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: all
I spent most of my childhood looking for this book after I'd read the rest of the series. My Dad didn't have it in his collection, and none of the libraries around had it either, it sat in the list at the back of each book taunting me.

I finally found it at a book shop last year. I just have to find time to read it now...
J. Scott
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that was responsible for me getting in trouble for pulverizing blackboard chalk to make fingerprint powder. I read and re-read it all through my pre-teen years, and I blame it directly for my brief obsession with "CSI" and the related TV shows.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
additional resource book to the original hardy boy mystery series
Rahadyan
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About 40 years after reading both this and the 1970's updated edition, I recalled verbatim several passages while taking a Special Topics in Biology: Forensics class
PWRL
2014-Summer-Reading
Padraic
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-shelf
The Holy Grail of my childhood. I finally scored a copy for my son this year. Despite the 1972 cover and techniques, it still made my heart go pit-a-pat...a more complete human being am I.
Justin
Nov 06, 2013
Tina
Apr 28, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Add to series 3 19 Sep 04, 2016 10:07AM

• The Last Resort (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys: Super Mystery #5)
  • The Mysterious Case of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys
  • The Ocean of Osyria (The Hardy Boys Graphic Novel #1)
  • Reader's Digest Book of Facts: Essential and Intriguing Information About This Odd World Around Us
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.

The Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (The Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (The Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)