Start by marking “The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)” as Want to Read:
The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)

The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy

(My Name Is America)

Two-time Newbery Honor-winning author Walter Dean Myers writes about an African-American boy's struggles with his first cattle drive and the racial prejudices of the day.
Published April 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1999)

Autumn
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well let me start off by saying I only know about cowboys from books and movies. So this was enlightening about the cattle drive cowboys.

This is from the series My Name Is America, A Dear America book. This is the boys version of the historical fiction diaries.

In this one we get to know Joshua Loper. He was what we would call a teenager, but at the time was expected to be a man. You actually wanted more of his story when the book was done.

There was one spot in the book that made me ball my eye
Levi
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Blake Cowboy by Walter Dean Myers is one of my most favorite books that I have read. I give this book a 5 star rating because of all the conflict. Joshua Loper was a black man that was for Texas that brings cattle to Abilene Kansas and lode therm p on trains and brings the to the butcher so that they can get the hide from the cattle.

The thinks the I liked is everything. The most thing that I like the most is the that it is a western and it is just good. There is n
Carolyn
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Even though these are kids books, I love reading them. I can finish one in 2 hours and I love the historical content. I love that it's in journal form. I love how they do an epilogue about the rest of the child's life and then about that time in history.

This was a subject that I knew nothing about. I've never really paid attention to the cattle drives of the late 1800's, and I didn't know anything about black cowboys. Interesting book.
HenryMehring
In the book The Journal of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy by Walter Dean Myers from the book series “My Name Is America”, it talks about Joshua Loper’s experience with the cattle drive. The book is in the form of a journal, with day by day entries.
Joshua Loper is a teenager of a former slave. He joined the cattle drive from Texas to Kansas. The leader is strict, and kind of picks on Joshua for keeping a journal. They all have to keep watch in shifts at night, which is difficult for them. In the
Jeniffer
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book, not just got kids. Really get a feel about what it was like in that time period.
Kaitlin Harrington
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet book of a son who truly carried for his mother and tried to maintain his morals during some really tough situations. Joshua is a well rounded character who is kind to all and tries his best to keep doing the right thing even if the right thing is very hard for him. He is a deep love of animals specifically his horse Pretty and his a young but good cowboy from the start.
Beverly
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
1971 The Chisholm Trail
Josh is 16 and on his first cattle drive. The trail boss does not want him because of his age and his color. Josh is a quick learner and soon experiences the different parts of the cattle drive. The "pointers" are the first 2 riders who lead the entire herd, the "swings" who wander from the points to the "drags" at the rear. The pointers also set the pace and the drags need to be aware of the gait so they don't speed up the rear into the swing area.

The time of the cowboy a
Turtle
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Indepedent Readers
Recommended to Turtle by: My Sister
It reads more like a first person narrative than a "found journal" story. Which wasn't bad so much as different. Not really too my taste. I'm more for the actual journal nature of the other Dear America series books. The history is fascinating but I found myself being a little bored by the story. I can't really say why. It was a cattle drive, which is hard grueling work but not really tension filled. I'm not sure... can't really put my finger on why exactly I was bored through most of the book b ...more
M
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The Journal of Joshua Loper tells the his story from the first person point of view. The story illustrates the events of a cattle drive. Joshua captures the details of the drive's movement from Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas in 1871. Although Joshua is excited to go out on this cattle drive,his mother is reluctant. This story is enlightening and insightful for it underscores a contribution of an African American in U.S. History.

Overall, this was a good book. I particularly enjoyed Joshua's "aha" m
Lindsay
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is about a African American boy and his time on his first cattle drive. He was free and there were very though jobs for them. It about Joshua being a cowboy and the prejustice of being black.

It a good read. Though this is mostly about the time in American History. It tells you more about being Black cowboy and on the trail of "The Chisholm Trail in 1871."

If you enjoy history this is good. This is told though the boys prospective as in Dear American is told though a girl prospective. It good
My class is doing a unit on the author Walter Dean Myers. This is my first "Dear America" book. Are they all based on real journals?

I really enjoyed the book. The writing is simple and honest. According to the historical note, the characters were real people. I wonder if the photo on the front is actually Joshua Loper.

I liked that the book is a Texas book, set in Texas during the cattle drive years. I appreciate the story told.

I'm definitely recommending it to my 7th graders who are required to
Carter
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have never read a Historical Fiction book before but after I read The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy I saw historical fiction differently. When I started this book I thought it was going to be a long, dry, and boring experience. I think the reason I actually like this book was all the trouble and hardships He had to face to achieve his goal of being a black cowboy. This book was set a long time ago so blacks were seen very differently back then and treated harsh, that is why it was ro ...more
Olivia
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The first time I read this book as a young reader, I loved it. I like learning about cowboys and thought it was so exciting.

Reading it this second time kind of changed my opinion. The problem was the writing. I felt like most of the time it was written like Joshua was a seventy old man telling his cowboy life to his grandkids. Like what he was writing wasn't happening but had already happened. I don't know if anyone else read it like that but it just seemed weird to me.

Still, I'm keeping the b
Tyler R
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing to me which is why I gave it five stars. I like thinking about what it would be like to be back in the old days when they rode horses and drove cattle. I really wish I could ride a horse like Joshua the main character does. I would probally not like to ride a horse as long as he does like on the chisolm trail. That would probally be to long of a ride he gets a sore back and gets really bad. Then again I might not even like riding a horse since I never have. I would never do ...more
David
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a quick read, but good. It was an interesting look back into the life of a black cowboy in the 1870s. I had not read anything depicting this place and time, and I enjoyed learning about it. A historical note at the end of the book provided some background on the characters and locations. Period pictures also provide a nice background for the book. There are a few instances of blood and gore, but nothing serious.
Molly
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Adam Fehr
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rachel
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome series of books for young people and I read a lot of them when my sons were younger; this one was my favorite :)
I bawled crying at the historical note (epilogue) and experienced great pride in Joshua's meek admission to the other (illiterate) cowboys of being able to read and write. Really a great book for a young man to read!
Nicole
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an excellent and very detailed look at a cattle drive...it just turns out cattle drives are kind of boring.

That said, the spot where it very bluntly said 'History has been whitewashed and movies are lying to you. The old west was very diverse and don't believe anything otherwise' was worth cheers and a standing ovation.
Lauren
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children to teens.
Recommended to Lauren by: A bookcase I saw it in
Am I the only one who thought "The Captain" had a major chip on his shoulder the practically the whole book, and just took it out on black ppl? real charmer.

Other than him, interesting book. I learned a lot about cowboys I didn't know before.
TJL
Great book.

My only issue is that occasionally, the author's narration was a bit off. At some points it felt like he was telling a typical story rather than writing in a diary format, and it was a bit jarring at times.
Molly
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Dear America and My Name is America books so much. :D
Arnetta
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Another well researched story of a typical black cowboy on a cattle drive. Thoroughly entertaining and informative.
Brianna ivory
Sep 26, 2011 is currently reading it
i think this book is a good bokk but i currently stop reading it.......
Rucka Rucka Ali
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
it was ok but not that western
Art
Walter Dean Myers Coms through again.
Thought of "The Life and the Legend of George McJunkin, Franklin Folsom, and of the "Virginian".
Riding the trails will make a man of you.
Flower
1 kinda gross and graphic account of an accident in the book
Jane Fujiwara
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
These are YA books they contain a lot of interesting information not taught in schools. Like one in three Cowboys was a poc. A good read for all ages.
Emily
Oct 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my favorite book in the series, but worth the read. I did enjoy parts of it quite a lot. Good book, just not completely for me. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Patrice
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Learning about cowboys, particularly while examining its implication in race relations, outside of the hollywood interpretation was fascinating.
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Douglas Allen Deeds: The Donner Party Expedition, 1846  (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty: United States Marine Corps, Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg (My Name Is America)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi

My Name Is America (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War 2 Soldier
  • The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559 Mirror Lake Internment Camp (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal Of Otto Peltonen, A Finnish Immigrant (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948