Start by marking “The Tale of Despereaux” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  127,785 Ratings  ·  8,629 Reviews
The beloved author of BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE enlightens us with a tale of adventure, despair, love, and soup.

Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-
Published August 25th 2003 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Despereaux, please sign up.

Leea Johnson We listened to the book on tape every night before we went to bed when I was a kid. :)
Amariah Dixon You may have already read it, but, yeah. It has a sweet ending.

Claire Greene
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
I picked this book up on a whim in the Barnes & Noble because I liked the look of the cover and the jagged edges of the paper that gave it a "classic" feel. I was looking for a new bedtime book to read to my children - 2 and 6 at the time. We like to read a bigger book, one chapter each night - for bedtime stories. I read the description and thought it sounded like a good idea so I went ahead and bought it (which is REALLY unusual for me - I can be a cheapskate!) It is by far some of the bes ...more
Camille
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, so now that I've thought about what I really think about this book, I'm changing my rating from 3 stars to 2 stars. There was more that I didn't like than I liked. After hearing a lot good reports about this book, I think I was expecting something different. I liked the idea of the light versus dark. I liked the unlikely friendship between the mouse and the princess. I liked the forgiveness. And I liked that it ended up "happily ever after", for the most part.

I started out reading this book
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo
The adventures of a mouse named Despereaux Tilling, as he sets out on his quest to rescue a beautiful human princess from the rats. The novel is divided into four "books" and ends with a coda. Each "book" tells the story from a different character's or group of characters' perspective: Despereaux, Roscuro, Miggery Sow, and finally all of them combined.
عنوانها: موش کوچولو؛ ماجرای دسپرو؛ قصه ی دسپروکس؛ دسپروکس؛ نویسنده: کیت دی کامیلو؛
عنوان: موش کوچولو؛ نویسند
Jason Koivu
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I remember reading books like this or having them read to me as a kid. It was always a frustrating experience, because I never liked when the author would stop the story in order to go back over something. "Yeah, I got it the first time," I would think to myself. Learning, teaching and making sure the kids get it is important, but so is keeping them engaged.

The story itself is only okay. It's nothing terribly exciting and honestly not a lot happens. There's an unusual mouse and he wishes to sav
Kelly
Absolutely enchanting. Full of compassion, sweetness and dreamers, with exquisite word choice and delicate rhythms. The narrator's voice is like a comforting but sharply intelligent grandmother, pushing you to both see and feel with the best of yourself. I started to read this this this morning for work purposes, I finished it because I couldn't put it down.
Apokripos
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids at heart!
Recommended to Apokripos by: the "Voice"
Seeing the Light
(A Book Review of Kate DiCamillo’s The Tale of Desperaux)

Despereaux Tilling is the most unusual mouse you’lll likely meet. Conspicously small with considerable large ears, he has always been seen as different, an outsider among his own — a mouse drawn to music, fascinated with stories, and breaks the strict rule of their kind by falling in love with a human, the Princess Pea.

Roscuro leads a normal, rotten rat life in the dungeon, his is a world of utter darkness. Until one day, w
Eryn☘
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
3 stars

I remember reading this as a child and enjoying it, though I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as when I'd read it at eleven. Therefore, 3 stars seems good enough.
Debbie Zapata
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: saturday
I never knew this was a book. I saw the movie of it on one of my bus trips north. Or maybe it was on the return trip south. Or even both, because I know I saw it twice. I thought the movie was wonderful, but as I say, I never knew it had been a book first. I just stumbled across the title while browsing at my favorite online used book seller one day and thought 'Oh, I have to get this!'

And the book was every bit as wonderful as the movie. Actually better, because I loved the way DiCamillo would
Gloria
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older children, younger teens
Recommended to Gloria by: Teacher
Shelves: young-adult
This book left me with the feeling that this story may not appeal to all readers. There were several important themes addressed in the story, yet little emotional attachment to the characters. The only character that many might relate to is Despereaux himself. He is ‘different’ both physically and emotionally from his peers which at first mostly works against him, though ultimately these unique qualities eventually save the day.

I did really appreciate the way this author drew in the reader in a
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Um, I really disliked this book. I read it aloud with my #3 and feel like a bad parent for doing so. Poor Miggery Sow- named after a pig, motherless, traded for next to nothing, abused, and then later described as lazy and fat. Crikey. And then there was the author's penchant for describing things to the "Reader" as an aside. Despereaux actually has a small part considering the continuous horrors of the story: evil rats, fair-weathered parents/siblings, the Queen's death, and the no soup decree. ...more
Future Teachers, ...: Jennifer Gallagher- Review #1 1 5 Nov 16, 2016 05:41PM
Future Teachers, ...: Review 5 1 1 Nov 04, 2016 10:26PM
  • Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Toys Go Out
  • The Higher Power of Lucky (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #1)
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • The Underneath
  • A Single Shard
  • Thimble Summer
  • Roller Skates
  • Gay-Neck: The Story of a Pigeon
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • Hitty, Her First Hundred Years
  • Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo...
“There is nothing sweeter in this sad world than the sound of someone you love calling your name.” 923 likes
“Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark. Begin at the beginning. Tell Gregory a story. Make some light.” 427 likes