Start by marking “The Witch Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Witch Next Door

The Witch Next Door

The story of a kindly witch and her friendship with her two young neighbors.
Published 1969 by Four Winds Press

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Next Door, please sign up.
Neb
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Abigail
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Enjoy Witchy Tales
Norman Bridwell, creator of the popular Clifford the Big Red Dog series, also wrote and illustrated a number of picture-books featuring a friendly neighborhood witch, beginning with this 1969 title. With simple text, The Witch Next Door unfolds the tale of two (unnamed) children, who come to be great friends with their new witchy neighbor, who may be a little bit odd - she paints her house black! - but is also kindhearted and considerate - she bakes cookies and makes soup for sick children. Wh ...more
Scott Middleton
Dear Readers in 2B06,

You could try to read the book, "The Witch Next Door!" Have you ever thought that you were a handsome young prince or princess? Oh, never mind. I will tell you what it's about! First, the boy and the girl knew that there was a witch next door! But the problem was the other next door neighbors didn't like the witch living next door, so they told the witch to leave.

Witch was so angry and even the boy and girl were angry too! The witch turned the woman and the man neighbor int
Samantha
I LOVED this book when I was little and I LOVE it still! A witch moves in next door, but she is actually a very sweet witch who uses her spells to enhance her life and the lives of those around her. Each page brings readers into the witch's world and all the little details of her routines.

A great read aloud for anytime, but especially so at Halloween. PreK-2.
Annie Perriment
A favorite bedtime story when my daughter was younger. One of my favorite books for children. The best part is the Harry Potter moment when the two children go into their sagging, damp, dreary looking tent to behold a camping paradise filled with food, toys, games, anything a kid could want.
Qt
I loved this one, with its cute pictures and sweet story!
Blue
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A cute story to challenge assumptions and demonstrate acceptance. The art was bland. The writing was not bad, but the story telling was - the reasons the children know or could have known but missed . . . didn't fit well.
Becky
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Cute !

Fun and cute book to read with my kids 🙂. The print was a bit hard for my son to read on my phone. I recommend a larger device or an actual print of the book for kids to read from.
Kevin Summers
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I remember loving this book when I was a child.
Rebecca Brown
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No stereotypes here

Love this book! Way ahead of it's time, and so much fun! I remember this book from my youth and have always loved it.
Sherri
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, short story about how a witch isn’t scary, and can actually be a good friend.
Denise
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book as a child and it is a fun one with a good message. Perfect for a Halloween storytime.
Mia Balsamo
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
PB27: I have a special place in my heart for water color picturebooks, I think they are so simple but so beautiful. The pictures do not have to be 3D or extremely lifelike to enjoy them. This is a great picturebook about judgement. Even though the witch never did anything bad, and was actually probably a better neighbor than most, the adults next door did not like the witch, and they wanted her to move out. Children can learn a great lesson from this story because when the witch got mad she did ...more
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and parents
Shelves: childrensbooks
I enjoyed this book as a kid, and my kids love it now. Ever wished you had magical powers? What would you do with them? Well, the message of this book is that we should all try to help each other get along, even if we have magical powers. The kids love their neighbor, because she's friendly and nice. There are a series of books about the witch and they all involve fairness, friendliness, and good humor. Even when the witch confronts prejudice and gets angry, she doesn't get mean. She solves the ...more
Alicia Evans
Two children have a vey fun neighbor that just happens to be a witch. The witch is extremely kind and loves the children. She makes their days fun and shows them her traditions and culture. I used to love this book as a child, mainly because I was obsessed with witches and Halloween. As an adult, this book takes on a completely new meaning and shows young readers how to better accept different people in their community. There's a moment in the book where other neighbors appear and demand that th ...more
Rosa Cline
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween, 2016, 2017
This was a nice 'different' Halloween book from the others we've read this season. A nice witch lives next door to a couple of children. They knew she was a witch because of the various things she did... like paint her house black, all her clothes were black. They become friends and enjoy each others company. until some adults come along and tell the witch she has to move because she doesn't fit in. She uses her spell and changes the couple to Prince and Princess and they no longer dislike the w ...more
Linzi Wilkinson
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-catalog
Genre: picture book

Grade level: 1-3

topic-theme: This book suggest that we should all get along and help each other out.

Curricular use: read aloud

Social:Teaches us that we need to get along well with others.

Literary elements: Humor,magical powers

Text-images: The pictures work well with the text. The expression of the witch when she is mad is expresses very well. You know she is angry without reading the text.

Kim
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Scholastic Book that belongs to my permanent home holiday collection. My child is 19 now, but this was such a favorite in his early preschool years. Can we judge people on how they dress? Can we assume someone is nice if they paint their house black? In this age of cyber bullying, it is a good early resources on accepting others that look or act differently than we do. It is a great little first reader as well as a "read aloud" book.
Josiah
May 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book one and a half stars. What I would say makes "The Witch Next Door" as good a story as it is, is the last line of the entire book, when the boy and girl want the witch to turn themselves into a prince and princess, and the witch declines, saying that good boys and girls are much more beautiful than princes or princesses.
L
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A brilliant book about kindness and respecting differences. Two children tell the readers about their neighbor that is a witch and how she does some things differently. Readers will be wishing they had a witch for a neighbor!
Tiffany
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My nearly 7 year old daughter and I loved reading this book ^_^
Elisa Clawson
I have always loved this series
Liz
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like halloween
Shelves: children-s-book
loved these witch books by the same author who does "clifford the big red dog"!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A great story with a fabulous message about accepting others.

Read my full review on Mundie Kids -
Agneata
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
One of my first 'favorite' books. I got it from one of the book clubs we got to order from at school.
Roxane Sanford
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter Gabrielle LOVED this book!!!!!
Bre

• In the Haunted House
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Dear Vampa
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • Gus Was a Friendly Ghost
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Stumpkin
Norman Bridwell was an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He lived on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he wrote an average of two books a year.